Blue Lagoon in the centre with the surrounding coves and mountains. In the lower right of the photo is the town of Ölüdeniz.
Ölüdeniz is a town near Fethiye in Turkey, famous for its 'Blue Lagoon'.
The village and the beach by the lagoon was locally known as Belcekız or Belceğiz before the area became a magnet for mass tourism, although today many people in the area have no idea about what Belcekız is and the town as well as the lagoon are both known as Ölüdeniz.
Inland to the north, 2 km to Ölüdeniz, are the former villages of Ovacık and Hisarönü, with occasional family-run guesthouses only a decade ago, but are today concrete sprawls of hotels and bars, agglomerated almost without a gap with the town of Ölüdeniz. Both serve as "bedroom communities" that offer accommodation that is close to but cheaper than Ölüdeniz proper.
Ölüdeniz is connected to Fethiye with a wide road that is well-paved and is in a very good condition.
There is also a very frequent minibus (dolmuş) service between Fethiye and Ölüdeniz.
- Blue Lagoon (Ölüdeniz). Access to the beach is shut by the evening, around 6PM. Known in Turkish literally as "dead sea" because of the stillness of the water, the lagoon is a nature preserve.
- Paragliding. A number of companies in Ölüdeniz offer paragliding opportunities from the summit of nearby Mt. Babadağ, about 1,900 mt from the sea elevation. A "trip" from the top to the beach takes around an hour and offers stunning views of the Blue Lagoon and the valleys and mountains covered with pine forests around. Training and tandem flights are also possible for those unexperienced at paragliding.
- Dia, (on the Hisarönü roundabout). Store of national supermarket chain Dia. Fresh fruits and vegetables, snacks, soft and alchoholic beverages. Credit cards are accepted.
- Sultan Motel, Kırıncağıl Mahallesi, Ovacık-Ölüdeniz (about 250 mt from Ovacık-Ölüdeniz highway towards the start of Lycian Way, follow the signs for Lycian Way or much bigger 'Montana Resort Hotel'), ☎ +90 252 616-61-39 ([email protected], fax: +90 252 616-62-61), . A hotel at the official trailhead of Lycian Way, a very convenient base to get rest after/before your long hike. Rooms with en-suite bathrooms, air-con, and balconies, all with the view of large pool. Double rooms (low/high season): 25 TL/30 TL bed and breakfast per person, 35 TL/40 TL half board per person. 0-6 years of age free, 7-12 years of age 50% discount.
- Aygul Hotel, Ölüdeniz, ☎ +90 252 617 00 86 ([email protected], fax: +90 252 617 06 10), . Family owned, small hotel. Rooms with air-con, TV, and balcony. There are also a swimming pool with children section, playground, and safety boxes. Staff is friendly and fluent in English and French. The hotel is on the top of a small hill, therefore it has clean and cool air flow. View of the Oludeniz from the Hotel is breathtaking. 600 m. away to the beach.
- Butterfly Valley (Faralya) is a remote canyon to the south, on the sea-shore, with some rare butterflies and waterfalls. Boats and minibuses head there from Ölüdeniz.
- Ovacık to the north of Ölüdeniz marks the official beginning of Lycian Way, a 500+ km hiking trail leading to Antalya in the east.