Çeşme (pronounced chaysh-may) is a sea-side resort town on the Aegean, west of Izmir, favoured by international travellers. It lies on the extreme western tip of Turkey, opposite the Greek island of Chios.
There are several ways to get to Çeşme, it's an half an hour drive from Izmir by car, and there are several bus companies that will drive you to Çeşme from Izmir on any time of the day. Buses from Çeşme to Izmir at the time of writing are around TL 10, ie around €5.
There is one, possibly two, daily ferry(ies) to Çeşme from the Greek island of Chios, the boat ride takes slightly over an hour and costs the whopping sum (for such a short ride) of €23 one-way or €40 return.
Bus services are also available from Istanbul, the route lasts approximately 8 hours.
- Çeşme Castle (Çeşme Kalesi), (at the town centre). A well-preserved citadel by the shore.
- Old town. Old part of the town (virtually all of downtown) has lots of neo-classical buildings from late 1800s/early 1900s that wouldn't be out of place in, say, Symi, which are well preserved and are quite elegant.
- Kiteboarding — Kiteboard at one of the best spot in Europe with profesional riders. The IKO center at Kitesurfbeach Pirlanta-Ciftlikkoy will be very happy to host you.
- Kumru — a kind of local warm sandwich, with stuffings like Turkish sausage, grilled cheese and tomatoes; also a vegetarian version is available without the sausage and with the addition of green pepper.
- Rıdvan Hotel, (at the centre of old town).
Town's telephone code is (+90) 232.
Hotel Altinyunus, and Ilica view
- Alaçatı — a historical town on the southern leeward side of the peninsula—and thus is perfect for wind-surfing!—noted for its Greek houses, ancient windmills with modern electricity-generating wind turbines side by side on the hill overlooking it. About 8 km east of Çeşme.
- Ilıca — a town noted for its thermal springs, located 5 km east of Çeşme, on the northern coast of peninsula.
- The Greek island of Chios is just opposite Çeşme, about an hour away by ferry, and thanks to quite frequent ferries can be done as a day-trip from Çeşme. The ferry departs at 11AM from Çeşme and the return trip is at 5PM from Chios (4PM on Sundays).