Ålesund  is the largest city in Møre og Romsdal, Western Norway, with about 40.000 inhabitants (between 60.000-80.000 in the surrounding area).
- Destination Ålesund & Sunnmøre Tourist Office, Skateflukaia, Phone: +47 70 15 76 00 (Email: [email protected]), .
Ålesund is built on a row of islands extending towards the Atlantic. The compact old city centre is thus surrounded by water and Ålesund is a major fisheries harbour.
The old city centre of Ålesund was destroyed by fire in the first years of the 20th century. Much international aid, including personal gifts from Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany who used to holiday there, helped to rebuild in the most modern style, Art Nouveau.
From the city there is a beautiful view of the Sunnmøre Alps in the East.
The following airlines serve Ålesund Airport, Vigra:
Rail connections are available at Åndalsnes with four departures (usually less in the summer) to Dombås or Lillehammer every day, connecting with trains to Oslo.
For each departure there is a connecting bus service from/to Ålesund city centre.
You can also reach Trondheim by changing trains at Dombås.
Hourly regional services to Kristiansund, Molde and Volda.
Nightly and daily departures for Oslo (takes approximately 10 hours).
Several daily departures for Trondheim calling at Molde and Sunndalsøra.
Daily services to Bergen calling at Volda, Nordfjordeid and Førde with connecting services to Sogndal and Stryn.
Hurtigruten calls Ålesund, once daily in southern direction (towards Bergen), and once daily in northern direction (towards Kirkenes).
Much of the joy of seeing Ålesund is to be found in just strolling past the many art nouveau shops and other buildings.
- Aalesunds Museum, Rasmus Rønnebergsgt. 16, Phone: +47 70 12 31 70, 
- The Atlantic Sea-Park, Tueneset, Phone: +47 70 10 70 60, 
- Art Nouveau Centre, Apotekergt. 16, Phone: +47 70 10 49 70, 
- Ålesund University College; Larsgårdsvegen 2; Phone: +47 70 16 12 00; ;
- Hummer og Kanari, Kongensgt. 19, [+47] 70 12 80 09
AA restaurant and a bistro. The latter is moderately priced and has an interestingly varied clientele.
- Thon Hotel Ålesund; Kongensgate 27; Phone: +47 70 12 29 38; Fax: +47 70 12 66 60; Email: [email protected]; 
- Scandic Ålesund; Molovegen 6; Phone: +47 21 61 45 00; Fax: +47 21 61 45 11; Email: [email protected]; 
- Ålesund Vandrehjem  Parkgata 14, 6003 Ålesund The youth hostel in the town center, from NOK 265,- (2007)
- Brosundet Gjestehus The Hotel Brosundet is a one hundred years old protected harbour building in Ålesund that has been tastefully restored as a hotel. Apotekergt. 5 Phone:+47 70 12 10 00
Brosundet Gjesthus and other buildings
- Runde - the most southerly of the great bird rocks