Moved from en:Wikitravel:Bug reports 1.4.x-1.5.x/Fixed by Evan
Notifications of new messages on the Talk page have also stopped working after the proxy caching implementation. =/
- First: there's no proxy.
- Second: you're correct. That's by design; I don't want to see your new-message notification when I'm reading a page.
- I'd like to roll out email notification such as http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Enotif. It's not the same as the on-page notification, but it's about as close as we can get without checking at each hit.
Would it be possible to use the proxy caching system for unregistered users only (who, I imagine, make up the bulk of the load) and allow registered users to use the old customized system? Jpatokal 00:04, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)
- It's possible, but a) it's going to take a while, b) I'm not sure it won't be enough to overheat the servers again, and c) I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to penalize logged-in users by making them wait longer to read pages! --Evan 18:19, 19 Nov 2004 (EST)
- May I suggest that some effort is put into this issue...and rather soon? Sv: suffers from daily sabotage, and since we have implemented sabotage warning templates, which we put on the misdemeanor's "talk" pages, we think it is very important that they get a chance to see that they are being watched and warned! Also, it would be nice to have it turned back on so the serious users may choose if they want to check their "talk" page or not when they log in - something which they HAVE to do nowadays. The new-message notification must of course be visible whenever there is a new message waiting for the user in question. BR Riggwelter 04:59, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
- I'm aware of the issue and I'm working on it. It's not a case of just "turning on" the feature, though. --Evan 09:55, 10 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Sorry, I was not aware of that...I thought it was a "press-the-button" operation. Could you give me some more info on why the feature was deactivated? Apparently it had something to do with "overheated servers" and a "proxy caching implementation" ? Riggwelter 15:50, 13 Feb 2006 (EST)
- this might give you some background. hth Majnoona 19:20, 13 Feb 2006 (EST)
I think that the message system is crucial for the success of this (sv:) wiki, without it people won't know that they can register, and anonymous users never tend to become regulars. I'm quite sure that if we keep up with the pace we have at the moment then users will pop in soon, but we will have to do quite a lot of work ourself, atleast during this spring. --Jonas Ryberg 22 februari 2006 kl.00.11 (CET)
- I'm working on the 1.5 upgrade, and new message notification will be my next priority. I realize that this is very important to major contributors on sv: and I want to put effort into it to say thanks for your work. --Evan 10:13, 22 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Evan, it is we who should be grateful for your work! Thanks for making it possible for us to build a great site. I hope we will live up to your expectations. =) Riggwelter 12:58, 22 Feb 2006 (EST)
I just would like to say that turning the message notification back on was a great thing to do. Thanks Evan and the guys from sv: for your efforts on that. Cheers, Ricardo (Rmx) 21:35, 9 March 2006 (EST)