Zugdidi (Georgian: ზუგდიდი) is a city in the Samegrelo region of Georgia.
While Zugdidi is not a very popular city with tourists in itself, many pass through it on their way up to Mestia in Svaneti. It does have a few things to see, however, and is located near a national park. It is also a get-in point to Abkhazia (via Inguri dam).
Trains run to Tbilisi and all stops on the way. Night trains are also available, and are the most popular way to get from Tbilisi to Zugdidi, since the marshrutkas to Mestia are coordinated with them. Arrival in Zugdidi is at 6:30AM. Marshrutkas and buses are also available to most major cities in Georgia.
Dadiani Museum, (500m beyond the north end of Zviad Gamsakhurdia). Every day except Monday, 10:00AM - 5:00PM. The Dadiani family's palace 2 GEL. edit
All in Samegrelo Region,
- Tobavarchili Lake
- Dancing Rock
- Martvili canyon gentle water rafting. Water a few meters deep, quite clear, water turquoise colour coming from glacier/mountains
- Dadiani summer palace, Monastery, and Winery. Winery tour available for groups, advance scheduling.
- Hot springs
- Kolkheti National Park - birding popular activity
- Anaklia - former Evpretoria Crimea summer music festival has relocated & morphed into 4 to 5 day music festival.
- Rukhi fortress and Inguri river border crossing to Abkhazia (border is actually in village Rukhi)
Contact TIC (Tourist Information Center).
- Champion Cafe/Lounge. Turn right out of the train station and walk 5-10 minutes down the road - this restaurant is located on the right hand side. Don't be discouraged by the fact that everything listed on the menu may not be available (as is typical in Georgia). The Kiev Cutlet is delicious - lightly breaded, tender chicken fried perfectly and served with fries and ketchup. The City-Special is also recommended as well as the chicken salad. Free, fast wifi with no password makes it a great place to hang out while waiting for your train. $. edit
- Smart - My Supermarket, (After exiting the station take a right on the main road, Rustaveli Str. The supermarket is next to the Wissol gas station.). There is a cafe inside with free WiFi. edit
- Georgian Restaurant, Rustaveli Str. (After exiting the railway station, take a right on Rustaveli Str. and continue for 200-300m. The restaurant will be on the right side of the road.). Authentic Georgian restaurant with no English displayed outside. The owners speak enough English allowing you to eat an excellent meal. Two soups, salad, mineral water and bread cost 12 GEL. edit
- McDonald's, "45 (i'm adding it, not for the food, but as a landmark (on tree-lined 2-sides boulevard with pedestrian walkway in middle), bright windowed cafe w/ WiFi of course and 2 places very near to get marshrutka South and East (eg. Poti, Batumi, Kutaisi airport, Kutaisi). edit
- El Barco (Restaurant), #77, Rustavelis str., Zugdidi, ☎ 595672929, . 11:00-01:00. Restorant El Barco is located in centre of Zugdidi. There is a Wonderful Georgian and Spanish food. El Barco is the best place to taste Delicious Traditional Megrelian Food: Elarji, Gebjalia, Chincholia (Cheece with mint) Khachapuri, Kharcho and ect. 2 GEL- 15 GEL. edit
- Megobar, Beria Street (center of town on the east side of the botanical garden, a big building next to the roundabout), ☎ +995 599 55 00 57. until 3:00. Recently opened, cool place, artistic setting in a former bus station (timetable still hangs on the wall), live music in weekends, and on weekdays it is likely that visitors spontaneously take a seat behind the piano and start playing. Prices are exceptionally low! beer 2 GEL. edit
Check the Booking-type websites and with the TIC.
The Tourist Information Center (TIC) maintains a list of sleeping places that they inspect before adding to their list. They also have some places not listed on many booking websites.
As of January 2016, there are 10-15 hotels & guesthouses/home-stays, and 3 hostels (2 new in 2015; 1 since 2012 but this longer-existing hostel operates seasonally, approx May to mid-September/early-October)
- Casa de Khasia, #25, Orbeliani st (Close to the New Cathedral Church), ☎ +995 599 568184, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 10.00. Casa de Khasia is a comfortable guest house in Zugdidi, Samegrelo. Guest House is big, although cozy and comfy. Interior design combined with vintage style and modern living appliances make our guests feel happy and comfortable. All guest rooms have a private bathroom, heating and air coordinators. We have old Western Georgian house - Jargvali in the backyard, guests can enjoy breakfast or diner in ethno-historical environment. Summer is just beautiful in our neighborhood, nature is green and air is fresh, that's why we love spending evenings in our yard. Guests are always welcome to join us for a glass of wine or cup of tea. It never gets too cold in Zugdidi, but if you are visiting us during the winter you will be enjoy big fireplace that is placed in the leaving room. In overall, no matter the seasons you are visiting, our guest house is adoptable for your comfort. Having guests is a pleasure; it is part of our tradition and life style. We're excited to host you. Stop by! 80 GEL. edit
- Mazeri — a stunningly beautiful mountain village. The starting point for Svaneti Mount Ushba trekking.