|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
Zakopane  is a very popular winter resort and summer getaway town in the Tatra mountains at the southern tip of Poland. It became a climatic health resort and as well as cultural spot in the 1880s. Many Polish writers and artists visited Zakopane at the turn of 20th century. Stanisław Witkiewicz developed so called Zakopane Style architecture still popular in Polish mountains.
There are around five trains every day from Kraków. It takes three and a half hours, costs around 25 PLN and stops at many small towns along the way. Sleepers go to Warsaw and Wroclaw every night as well.
Several companies ride between Krakow and Zakopane, two biggest are Maxbus, MajerBus, Szwagropol, PolskiBus and several other known as PKS (it used to be state-run company, now it has been privatized and there are few dozen local, independent branches (those are the cheapest). Ticket costs from 12 to 15 PLN, discounts mostly don't apply. The journey takes at least two hours fifteen minutes, sometimes more (depends on traffic).
Direct bus from Budapest by Eurobusways .
Private transfer from Krakow city or Krakow airport directly to Zakopane Zakopane transfer.
'Zakopianka' from Krakow - road number 7 to Rabka and then 47 to Zakopane. It takes around one and a half hour, but depends on traffic. Traffic jams on summer weekends are legendary.
Through Łysa Polana border crossing from Slovakia. It's also possible to go through Polands highest mountain peak, Rysy, but it's not advised outside of the summer months unless you have some hiking experience.
- PKS buses according to schedule.
- There is a large number of privately owned vans (called mini bus). Most have fixed routes and rates, no schedule. Often there is the possibility of negotiation (route, price, time). Note some driver's telephone numbers if you think you may need transport later. It costs 3 zloty to go one way to Kuznice, and 10 zloty to go one way to Morskie Oko
- Krupówki. Main walking street full of restaurants and shops. There's also a church with beautiful interior located here.
- Ku Dziurze Valley. Tiny valley next to Wielka Krokiew jumping hill, there's a tiny Dziura Cave (Hole in Polish). The cave's very tiny and easy to explore
- The Gubałówka Hill Funicular
- Kasprowy Wierch Cableway
- Cemetery of the Distinguished on Pęksowy Brzyzek ul. Kościeliska, The oldest cemetery, since 1920s a burial place of distinguished people connected to Zakopane and Tatra Mountains. Most of the tombstones are real works of art made of wood, stone and metal.
- Wooden churches. There're many old, wooden churches built in mountain style. They're located f.ex. in Harenda,
- Krzeptówki sanctuary. Beautiful mountain-style contemporary one.
- Olcza sanctuary. Sanctuary's composed of contemporary building inspired by Tatra Mountains. There's a beautiful interior composed by stain glasses.
- Jaszczurówka chapel. Beautiful, wooden chapel built in mountain style
- The Tatra Museum, . has several buildings throughout the town. edit
The Main Building ul. Krupówki 10
The Gallery of 20th Century Art at Oksza villa ul. Zamoyskiego 25
The Museum of the Zakopane Style - Inspirations Droga do Rojów 6
The Museum of the Zakopane Style at 'Koliba' villa ul. Kościeliska 18
The Władysław Hasior Gallery ul. Jagiellońska 18b
The Gallery of Art in Koziniec ul. Koziniec 8
The Kornel Makuszyński Museum ul. Tetmajera 15
Museum of the 1846 Chochołów Uprising Chochołów 75
- Karol Szymanowski Museum (Villa Atma), ul. Kasprusie 19, . edit
- Jan Kasprowicz Museum, Harenda 12a, . edit
- Teatr im. St. I. Witkiewicza, ul. Chramcówki 15, ☎ +48 18 20 00 660, . edit
- Kasprowy Wierch
- Białka Tatrzańska
- Bukowina Tatrzańska
- Butorowy Wierch
- Polana Szymoszkowa
- Paraglide  A 15-minute flight as a passenger costs 250 PLN. There are couple day courses in paragliding as well.
- Hike - It's worth buying a map of the area if you're going hiking. Most likely you will be hiking in Tatra National Park . Be aware that as it is a National Park special rules apply - don't be loud, leave any garbage or disturb animals. Maps are sold by the tourist office (17 Kosciuszki St., telephone: 01820 12211), down the hill, on your left, just before getting to the bus stop and cross roads (Krupowki St. and Kosciuszki St.) in the centre of town. They'll also give suggested routes, based on the latest weather forecasts and your fitness and equipment. The maps are very tourist-friendly, with the "difficultly levels" for different paths marked: possibly slightly patronising for seasoned hikers. People have been seen trying to get prams up steep paths from Zakopane into the mountains. The pram symbol for the 'easy' paths is taken too literally. All the paths marked on the map are well maintained by the government. Note: you will have to pay a small entrance fee. The fee is 5 PLN (2.5 PLN for students and school kids). Whichever route you plan to take, it is advised you dress warmly and bring spare waterproof clothes and water. Put the clothes in a plastic bag in your backpack, to keep them dry in case of a rain. Even midsummer it can hail for an whole day in the mountains! Remember you are already at 1000m, although it doesn't feel like it.
Many of these activities aren't in the centre Zakopane itself. However, minibuses, leaving when full, depart from different points in Zakopane all day. Most minibuses leave from the front of the bus station. The same system works to return hikers/skiers to Zakopane. Expect to pay about 3.50 zł each for the minibus (around 1 euro).
- Many shops at Krupówki promenade. There is a small supermarket on Kosciuski street, near the junction with Krupowki street.
- Oscypek, local specialty, smoked sheep's milk cheese.
- There are many good eateries within Zakopane. Look for authentic-looking wood huts. Avoid ones with colorful lights and multi-colored lamps. Good "Bacowkas" include "Bąkowo Zohylina Wyźnio and Nizino" right off of Krupowki. Chata Zbójnicka on Jagiellońska is also good for authentic food (and experience.) You can also try the fried fish eateries anywhere in town for a quick, cheap meal. Trout is the specialty in this town.
- Gofry. Waffles with cream, ice cream, berries, fruit or whatever you want. Tasty dessert. ~7 PLN. edit
- There is a cheese market every day. It's probably best to come early in the morning while the produce is still fresh, but it's fine to eat whenever it's purchased.
- Regional Restaurant Nosalowy Dwór, Balzera 21d, . The choice of meals from both regional and international cuisine. edit
- Restauracja 'U Wnuka', ul. Kościeliska 8, ☎ +48 18 2064167, . First restaurant in Zakopane, opened around year 1850. Obviously they have THE traditional highlander cuisine. edit
- Literatka, Krupówki 77. Small, artsy pub, full of paintings or graphics created by local artists (exhibitions change). Beer costs 7 PLN, they offer shisha. edit
- Cafe Piano, ul. Krupówki 63. Full of surprises, strange sculptures, lamps made of (fake) amber... best thing - there are swings in place of bar stools! edit
- Ampstrong, ul. Jagiellońska 18, ☎ +48 18 201 29 04, . Well known club. Quite underground. edit
- Good Bye Lenin Hostel Zakopane, Chłabówka 44, 34-500 Zakopane, ☎ +48 18 200 13 30, . Now the best rated hostel in Zakopane according to HostelWorld.com, Trip Advisor, and hostelz.com. Goodbye Lenin Hostel is a traditional wooden lodge, the building itself with over 100 years of history, set amongst a green forest with a river. Although situated 40 minutes walk away from the main town, this can actually be one of the biggest positives about the location, depending on your preferences. Right opposite one of the entrances to the Tatra National Park, and at the foot of nearby mountains, the views from the location alone are stunning. Once inside the hostel, you'll find a small, cozy home away from home, complete with a resident kitty. The kitchen is shared, and the lounge room with comfy couches in a wooden setting and warm lamps brings everyone together at the end of the day, or provides you with a relaxing place to chill out with a book and a mug of tea (or Polish vodka, also according to your preferences...) Breakfast comes included in the price, along with free parking, free WIFI, free use of the outdoor BBQ, benches and patio swing, free coffee and tea all day, every day! Heading to the mountains but don't have the gear? Rent everything you need, from backpacks and hiking boots to skis, snowboards and mountain bikes, and besides that be ready to receive a wealth of information about hiking trails and activities to do in the mountains or in the town from the friendly staff. You'll find a laundry service available for a small fee. Most importantly, you'll find a fun and inspiring atmosphere among the staff and guests, with the reception being manned by volunteers from all over the world, there is definitely a traveller-centric atmosphere in the hostel. If you love hostels where you feel at home this is exactly the place for you... it's not at all surprising for everyone in this small lodge to end up having a shared dinner and some drinks together at the end of each day. Prices start at 40 PLN for an 8 bed dorm with bathroom, with private rooms also available from 120 to 150 PLN with private bathrooms. Group offers are also available, enquire by email. edit
- Camping 'Pod Krokwią', ul. Żeromskiego, ☎ +48 18 201 22 56, . Place for tents and campervans as well as small wooden houses and rooms. (N 49 16' 58,E 19 58' 10) edit
- Dom Turysty, . The Dom Turysty advertises that it has the largest wooden roof in the country. edit
- Aga Dom Wypoczynkowy, ul. S.Nedzy Kubinca 43, ☎ +48 18 207 05 00, . Wooden B and B right by the mountains. Mountain view from rooms. Good value for the money. English speaking staff. edit
- Target Hostel, ul. Sienkiewicza 3B, ☎ +48 18 207 45 96, . Close to the bus station, walk towards the centre of town and turn right just before the Tourist information office. edit
- Szarotka Youth hostel SSM, Nowotarska 45 A. edit A budget object in the center, TV room, WiFi. They also have a location in Krzeptówki 2 street.
- Camping Harenda. edit Tent and camper places
- OSW Dafne, Jagiellońska 30. edit Resort near center, WIFi, restaurant
- Top Hostel, Krupówki 24. edit Hostel in the center, WiFi
- OW Szpulki, Małe Żywczańskie 9B. edit Resort located near the center, shared and private bathrooms, gym, sport hall
- hotel Boruta, Chałubińskiego 28. edit Hotel not far from center, free WiFi, garden, barbecue facilities
- DW Sienkiewiczówka, Zamoyskiego 21. edit Small resort close to center, free WiFi
- DW Chałubiński, Partyzantów 9. edit Resort not far from center, restaurant. They also have other object on Makuszyńskiego street.
- hostel Stara Polana, Nowotarska 59. edit Object in city center, WiFi
- hostel 1902, Kasprusie 2. edit Hostel in the center, WiFi
- Księżówka, Przewodników Tatrzańskich 2. edit Religious resort located in Kuźnice, near Kasprowy Wierch cable car, some rooms with balconies.
- Plenty of private rooms. Tourists coming by train or bus will often find private landlords waiting for them at the stations carrying signs typically saying "Noclegi" or "Wolne Pokoje". Negotiate the price. Board often available. Ask to be shown the location on a map. Many locations are outside Zakopane city (which may be an advantage). The average price for a single room seems to be 50 zloty
- Zakopane Apartments RakaTravel., " phone="+48 889 628 438" Comfortable, clean apartments in and around Zakopane. Prices from 120zl per night. English speaking staff. 
- hotel PRL, Makuszyńskiego 12. edit Hotel in the center, free WiFi, restaurant
- hotel Helios, Słoneczna 2 A. edit Hotel close to city center, free WiFi, restaurant
- hotel Sabała, Krupówki 11. edit Hotel in the center, bar, restaurant, WiFi, swimming pool
- hotel Nałęcz, Zająca 10. edit Hotel not far from city center, WiFi
- hotel Kasprowy Wierch, Krupówki 50 B. edit Hotel in the center, bar, restaurant
- DW Hyrny, Piłsudskiego 20. edit Resort in the center, swimming pool, cafe, spa
- DW Wanta, Grunwaldzka 21. edit Resort close to the center, bar, game room
- Jasny Pałac, Tetmajera 24. edit Object close to the center, free WiFi, restaurant
- hotel Gromada, Zaruskiego 2. edit Hotel near the center, WiFi
- OW Panorama, Wierchowa 6. edit Resort not far from center, WiFi, bar
- Villa Vita, 2 Krupowki Street, . 5 min walk from a cable-lift to Gubałówka. From the windows you can admire a beautiful view over Krupowki and Tatra Mountains. edit
- Nosalowy Dwor Resort & SPA, Balzera 21d, ☎ +48 18 20 22 400, . Two hotels of the Nosalowy Dwór Resort & Spa complex are situated at the foot of Mount Nosal in Zakopane. There is 3* regional style hotel Nosalowy Dwor and new 4* Hotel Grand Nosalowy Dwor. edit
- Camping Pod Krokwią. editCamping located near Wielka Krokiew jumping hill, toilets
- Pole Namiotowe Mostowi. editTent camp located in district of Harenda, showers
Finding a proper accommodation in high season could be really hard, you can chose nearby villages and towns like f.ex. Poronin, there're many resorts and accommodation places like f.ex. Dom Rekolekcyjny RAM.
- Murowaniec hostel in Gąsienicowa valley
- Morskie Oko valley, many minibuses leave from opposite the bus station to a massive parking lot near the Slovakian border, after that then you walk the remaining 9km to the lake, or use a horse and cart!
- Hiking from Zakopane to Giewont (which can be done as a detour on the way to Gąsienicowa valley)
- Kasprowy Wierch (mountain), 1987 metres. Tatra view point. Restaurant. Skiing area. Cable railway runs from Kuźnice but is closed often. (get in on foot, or by local bus(which leaves from the layby next to the bus station).
- Mount Rysy 2499 metres 4 hour hike from Morskie Oko valley. You can also cross the border on this mountain and go to the Slovakian peak of Rysy which is 2503 metres. ID may be needed to do so though, as the crossing is manned in the summer.
- Orla Perc Famous mountain trail from Zawrat to Krzyzne, not for the faint-hearted or inexperienced! Always use the chains provided.
- Slovakia Some of the minibuses that go to Morskie Oko also go the main border crossing with Slovakia. Buses to Poprad and beyond leave from just after the border.