Yumani is a village near the southern end of Isla del Sol in Lake Titicaca, Bolivia. It has by far the best infrastructure on the island, and is where mostly people choose to stay overnight, -if they don't visit only for a daytrip, that is.
- Walk in from the north end of the island (Challapampa). The walk is better in this direction as you get the sun in your back. Slightly more difficult though, because of the climb.
- Boat twice a day to/from Copacabana and Challapampa. Bs 15-20.
- Charter a boat to get across to Yampupata, then walk back to Copacabana. Bs 100 unnegotiable(the boatmen are watching eacjother) at the pier, for up to 7 persons. Lower prices can be had in the village, -ask at your hostal. A short stop at Pilko Kaina can be arranged.
Making adobe bricks in Yumani
- Inca staircase.
- Inca Fountain.
- Walk south to the Temple of the Sun.
- Alpaca sweaters, different cloths.
Many eateries charging about Bs 30 for a dinner.
- Las Velas (The Candles), Yumani, Isla del Sol, Bolivia (Follow the signs through the Eucalyptus trees at the top of the Inca Stairs), ☎ 712 356616. Hard to find but worth the walk. Serves Trout, Filet Mignon and the best Vegetarian Pizza I've had in South America. The food doesn't get made until it's ordered, so It's recommended you have a few drinks while you wait. There is no electricity so the place is candle lit in the evening. Amazing sunsets from here as well. The owner will walk you back to the main area of Yumani by flashlight if needed. 30-50 B pp (without drinks). edit
- Mate de coca - tea from coca leaves.
Most basic lodgings now charge Bs 25-30 pp with shared bath and breakfast extra. To get there, take the Inca Stairs and expect at least a 30-minute walk up the hill.
- Hostal Mirador. New (blue) building just below the top of the island. Nice and clean rooms with perfect views of the "bolivian" side. Bathroom (only shared) across the inner courtyard. Bs. 30 pp.
- Hostal Templo del Sol. It's situated in an uninviting building at the top of the town, but it has excellent views of the lake and the Cordillera Real. Rooms are basic. Nice views down both sides of the island and great sunsets on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca. The shared bathroom has an electrical heated shower, providing some lukewarm water. The price is Bs 20 per person. (Mar 2013)
- Hostal Puerta del Sol, Yumani, Isla del Sol, La Paz, Bolivia (walk up the inca stairs until you reach the very top), ☎ 719-55181. This place has an amazing view and great sunsets on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca, but make sure you bring your own lock for your room as there has been reports of stolen items from locked rooms using the locks the hostel provides. Bs. 30 pp. edit
- There's both internet (at Bs 12 an hour!) and telephones available.