Winterswijk is in Achterhoek.
- Although not an official rule, cyclists expect to have priority in traffic in this part of the Netherlands.
- There are so many German shoppers, salespersonell might speak to you in German at first until they notice you are not.
Take the train from Zutphen or Arnhem. Come by car using the N312, N318 or N319.
- Go cycling, although there are not many cycling paths compared to the rest of the Netherlands, cyclists in Winterswijk usually get priority in traffic (not an official rule).
- By buss you can get around, but especially in the rural area's busses don't bring you from A to B. Be prepared to walk 1-2 km or arrange a combination of transportation methods.
- Using a taxi in Winterswijk is not cheap (prices are high in the whole country). You will have a better customer service (during your ride) than the large cities in the west of the Netherlands are known for, but not all taxi companies in Winterswijk are reachable in weekends or on holidays. One of the taxi services is 'Taxi Walhof' (phone number: +31543 - 530 530) that you can find at the opposite of the train station, next to the fuel station. Taxi Walhof does not exist anymore.
- Watermill 'Beerenschot', that is used to make flower from grain.
- Mondriaan museum . The famous painter Mondriaan grew up in Winterswijk and made his first paintings here.
- GOLS museum has information about the history of trains and train stations in and around Winterswijk.
The tourist information desk called 'VVV Winterswijk'  has information about local events, cycling routes, hicking routes and other activities. They are located at 'Mevr. Kuipers Rietbergplein 1' in the former city hall.
- Visit the Bloemencorso at the end of September 
- Swim at the Hilgelo lake, the Strandbad or Swimmingpool Jaspers
- if you are with children, they will play all day at Sevink Avonturenpark.
- Rent a small rowing boat at Restaurant 'De gulle waard' in Woold to sail the beautifully stream 'Bekendelle'.
Most shops are in the Misterstraat and Wooldsestraat. Busiest days are Saturday's and every German Holliday (since Winterswijk attracts lots of German shoppers). Sales personell might speak to you in German at first until they notice you are not, please don't feel offended by this.
- There is a market on Saterdays around the bigest church of the city at the square called 'Markt'.
- For local products, visit the 'Streekproducten' shop at Gasthuisstraat 35 
- Restaurant Strandlodge, high quality food and a beautifull terras on the lake. Adress: Badweg in the part of Winterswijk that is called 'Woold'
- Ice cream bar 'Tallemini' at the 'Markt' square, is the best place to get ice cream in the region. You can eat a coup in the garden or restaurant as dessert (although a lot of coups are big enough to serve as lunch) or buy a cone in the front of the shop. On most days open from 12:00-22:00
- Try a 'Tompoes' or 'rookworst' at the Hema (located at Misterstraat), these are products the Netherlands are famous for.
- The 'Preuverie' is a yearly food event where you can buy small dishes from a big selection of local restaurants, takes place on the Markt square at the end of Juli.
- A lot of terraces and bars are located around the bigest church of the city at the square called 'Markt'.
- Visit a self service tea garden at a rural site, such as 'tuintjetheeenzo' at Brinkeweg 31, opened from April-October 9:00-21:00.
- hotel Frerikshof
- Camping De twee bruggen
Visit other Achterhoek cities, such as Doetinchem or Bredevoort. Or take a trip to Germany, the cities Bocholt and Dusseldorf are close to Winterswijk. In Germany you can visit Freizeitpark Ketteler Hof in Haltern am See or tropical swimming pool Bahia in Bocholt if you are with kids.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!