How do you create a redirect for a page that does not yet exist? I would like to set up some redirects from German names to the accepted English names of towns, and from common misspellings (without umlauts) to the correctly named pages (e.g. Köln --> Cologne; Bodensee --> Lake Constance; München --> Munich etc.). Brendio 17:20, 16 Jan 2006 (EST)
To clarify, I realise that one way is to create link from another page, and then create the page from there, and then delete that link afterwards, but is there an easier/simpler way to achieve this? Brendio 17:21, 16 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Nope. The only way to make new pages is to make links to them. You can do it on, say, your user page, or a user sub page (User:Brendio/Redirects, say), or on the Wikitravel:Graffiti wall. --Evan 17:45, 16 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Thanks for the quick reply.Brendio 17:56, 16 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Yes. I make new pages (and or Redirects) this way (But note that Evan is more knowledgeable about Wikitravel than I; my way below may be flawed in same way. --Rogerhc 6 March 2006):
- Type into your browser's location bar the URL to the page you want to create, for example: http://wikitravel.org/en/Noodletown and go to it (You get to a pages that says there is no content on this page yet)
- Click the Edit tab on that page and put whatever you like in the page, #REDIRECT[[Pastatown]] for example if you want it to be a redirect, and click Save.