Weston is a town of 4,317 people (as of 2000) in West Virginia. It's a great base for getting to nearby Stonewall Jackson State Park, and it's also a good destination for glass collectors and history buffs.
Weston is located at the junction of US-33, between Athens, Ohio in the west to Buckhannon in the east, and US-19, between Clarksburg in the north to Summersville in the south. The nearest major highway is I-79, which begins in Charleston and goes up through Morgantown to Pennsylvania; Weston is just west of exit 99.
- Downtown Weston has a variety of historic buildings dating from the late 19th century, and restoration efforts are constantly underway.
- West Virginia Museum of American Glass, 177 Main Avenue, 304-269-5006, . Open from 12 pm to 4 pm, every day except Wednesday and Sunday. Dedicated to the rich glass heritage of the region and the nation, focusing on the glass boom of 1900 - 1940. The museum displays glass products from bottles to lightning rod balls, from telegraph insulators to glass used in automobiles, from pressed to blown tableware, and discusses not only the famous glass factories, but also the hundreds of smaller and often-forgotten glass houses. Also features educational interactive displays, and a museum store.
- Jackson's Mill Historic Area, 160 WVU Jackson Mill, 304-269-5100 or 800-287-8206, . Open 10 am to 5 pm Thursday through Sunday, in April and May. A special mission regional campus of West Virginia University, home to the state 4-H camp. The historic area includes a grist mill belonging to Stonewall Jackson's grandfather, Blaker's Mill which still grinds cornmeal and wheat flour, , and the McWhorter Cabin which is similar to Stonewall Jackson's childhood home.
- La Paix Herb Farm, 3052 Crooked Run Road in Alum Bridge, 304-269-7681, . 110 acres of gardens, woods, caves, creeks, wildlife, fauna and sylvan paths, with a homestead that has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There's also an herbal distillery, and a lavender fair is held every June. Herbal products are sold on-site.
- Stonecoal Lake, south of US-33. Famous for musky fishing.
- Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park, 149 State Park Trail, 304-269-0523. Features a visitors' center below the dam with displays and information. Fishing, hunting, camping. Home to the Stonewall Resort.
The city's newspaper is the Weston Democrat, 306 Main Avenue, 304-269-1600, .
- Candle Creations, 4 Sawmill Road in Horner, 304-269-7100, . Open 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Saturday, and 10 am to 6 pm on Sunday. Scented jars, carved candles, special-occasion candles and a variety of other West-Virginia-made gifts.
- Country Splinters and Stitches, US-19 in Jane Lew, 304-884-8700. Open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 3 pm on Saturday; closed Sundays. Locally-made crafts, including primitives, home decor, handmade clothing and quilts, candles, antiques and Pandora jewelry.
- Smoke Camp Crafts, 1289 Smoke Camp Road, 304-269-6416. Organically-grown culinary herbs and blends, old-time homemade jellies and jams, and specialty foods, all made of natural ingredients from their farm. Nature hikes and garden tours are also available by appointment.
- West Virginia Antique Mall, 160 Main Avenue, 304-269-1819. Open 10 am to 5 pm Monday through Thursday, 10 am to 7 pm Friday and Saturday, and 12 pm to 5 pm on Sunday. "Unique Merchandise from the Mountain State" with over 18,000 square feet. On-site restaurant.
- Appalachian Glass, 499 US-33 E, 304-269-1030, . Open 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Saturday, and 11 am to 4 pm on Sunday. Specializing in hand-crafted and mouth-blown "old world" apples and ornaments, with over 500 traditionally produced soda-lime crystal products.
- Masterpiece Crystal, Trolley Street in Jane Lew, 304-884-7841, . Mouth-blown and hand-pressed stemware, barware, bells, decanters, bubble balls, brandies, hurricane shades, decorator vases, bud vases, candlesticks, candleholders, votives and decorative marbles. You can watch the glassblowers at work weekdays before 4 pm.
- Willow Creek Glass, 1541 Walnut Fork Road in Alum Bridge, 304-269-5187, . Glass artwork produced from 95% recycled glass, including a line made from recycled Budweiser beer bottles.
- Aunt Patty's Colonial Restaurant, 102 Main Avenue, 304-269-4551.
- Giovanni's, 731 N Main Avenue, 304-269-4563.
- Olde Mill Diner, Jackson's Mill, 304-269-6140.
- T & L Hot Dogs, West 2nd Street, 304-269-6513. Locally renowned for their delicious sauce.
- Lambert's Vintage Wines, 190 Vineyard Drive, 304-269-3973 or 304-269-4903, . Open daily 10 am to 5 pm. 11 wines, including one made from blackberries. Winery tours and free wine tastings available. On-site gift shop also offering handmade West Virginia pottery.
- Comfort Inn, I-79 and US-33, 304-269-7000 or 800-228-5150. 70 rooms. Exercise gym, outdoor heated pool. Complimentary continental breakfast. $63 - $95.
- Evergreen Motor Lodge, 1322 Hackers Road in Jane Lew, 304-884-8701. $54.
- Ingeberg Acres, 712 Left Millstone Road, 304-269-2834, . 4 rooms, and guest cottage that sleeps 3 to 5. A 450-acre farm with horses and cattle. Swimming pool, pond for fishing or swimming, acres of woods and meadows. Complimentary refreshments and full breakfast. $70 - $80.
- Jackson Lodge, Jackson's Mill, 304-269-5100. Motel rooms, private cottage rooms or cottage dormitory-style housing.
- Natural Seasons Bed and Breakfast, 17 Center Avenue, 304-269-7902, . 4 rooms. An ecological lodging center in a completely renovated, 20th-century Federal-style home decorated with seasonal themes from nature. $65 - $75.
- Stonewall Resort, 940 Resort Drive in Roanoke, 304-269-7400 or 888-278-8150, . 198 rooms; luxury cottage, campground and houseboats also available. Spa with massage therapy, facial treatments, salon, body wraps, masks and scrubs; indoor and outdoor swimming pools and whirlpool; saunas; sundeck; fitness center; hiking and biking trails; lake excursion tour boat; and a par-72 golf course. On-site restaurants and pub: Stillwaters, Lightburn's and TJ Muskies. Packages start around $150. Cottages $275 - $375 per night, campground $33 per night, houseboats $400 for 2 nights.
- Weston Super 8, 12 Market Place, 304-269-1086 or 800-800-8000. 62 rooms. $60 - $90.
- Elkins is about 45 minutes east on US-33.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!