Вршац) is a town in Serbia
, 84 kilometers from Belgrade
. It is located in eastern part of Vojvodina, close to border with Romania. The town has around 35,000 residents.
The European route E-70 connects Belgrade and Timișoara via Vršac. The road is in very good condition and the trip takes less than 2 hours from Belgrade and an hour and a half from Timisoara.
STUP Vršac, . The local bus company with routes from and to Belgrade and Novi Sad on an hourly basis. Prices are somewhat more expensive than other methods of transport, but it's the fastest and safest way to get around. edit
There are 2 trains per day from Timişoara Nord Train station to Vršac. Pass control usually lasts for about 20 minutes for the entire train to be checked. Ride duration is approximately more than 2 hours, and the train going faster when on Romanian territory. Pass control and customs are made at Stamora-Moravita, (Romania). The ticket in one direction from Timişoara to Vršac is approximately 5€. Should you choose to continue to Belgrade, you need to switch trains at the train station in Vršac.
The train to Belgrade is scheduled to depart half an hour after the train from Timișoara comes in Vršac. Tickets must be bought at the station. The train connecting Vršac and Belgrade is a modern and fast one, the only downside being that is stops in every village en route to Belgrade. One way ticket to and from Belgrade costs less than 4€.
Vršac is very small and compact, easily covered by foot, but reaching further destinations such up in the hill can be time-consuming experience and a good solution might be taking a taxi which is very affordable. There are currently no bike nor motorbike rentals available.
The traffic in town is usually light, except on Saturdays in the morning when it's grocery day. If you are traveling by car, be sure to pay attention to bikes as they are a very common method of transport with elderly citizens.
All the taxis (including the freelance ones) have a defined fare with taxi meters exposed, so the possibility of paying a higher price of that shown is reduced to minimum. There are three major local taxi companies:
- Maxi Taxi, ☎ 013 833 833, 063 50 80 50. edit
- Hallo Taxi, ☎ 013 831 11 11. edit
- Prestige Taxi, ☎ 013 833 333. edit
Vršac is specially known for its vineyards and quality wines in its municipality area. Certain wine cellars in villages around Vršac have become symbols of the so-called Vrsac Wine Route which is held every year during the town's celebratory Grape Ball.
Along with its wine offerings, Vršac is also known for it's hills which have a rich ecosystem and are very specific in nature due to the fact that they are island mountains which were once a part of the Pannonian Sea.
- Vršac Castle (Vršački zamak) is a symbol of the town and dates back to the mid 15th century. The castle is an authentic remain of the medieval Vršac fortress. It stands at the top of the hill (399m) overlooking Vršac and it provides a great view of the entire town.
- Gudurički Vrh is the highest mountain peak in Vojvodina, standing at 641 meters tall. Nicknamed 'the roof of Vojvodina', it provides a breathtaking view which spans across to Carpathian mountains in Romania.
- There are two Serbian Orthodox monasteries in the Vršac municipality: Mesić monastery which dates back to 15th century and Središte monastery, which is currently under construction.
- The Millennium Sports Center, . edit, where the European championship in basketball 2005 was played.
Every third week of September, the town is a host to Grožđebal (Grape Ball), a three-day event which celebrates harvesting of the grapes.
- Yuga, Ive Milutinovica 31/a. edit
- Domino Fast Food, Trg Pobede 5, ☎ 013 837 837. edit
- Bum 016, Žarka Zrenjanina 5, ☎ +381 13 831 344. edit
- Leskovački Roštilj Maki, Vuka Karadžića 14, ☎ 063 720 78 32. edit
- Pera Ždera, Heroja Pinkija 55. edit
- Pizzeria Masters, Mate Matejića 6a, ☎ 013 837 000, 013 837 677, . edit
- Pizza Contrast, ☎ 060 330 50 50. edit
- Etno Kuća Dinar, Dimitrija Tucovića 82, ☎ 013 830 024, . 12-24h. edit Located not far from the town center, the restaurant provides an authentic meal experience for reasonable prices. It also has a rich wine offering and an outdoor terrace during summer. The food is excellent and the service is great.
- Restoran Crvenog Krsta (Red Cross Restaurant), Topovski put bb, ☎ +381 (0)13 838 657. edit After a morning hike on the hill, this is the best place to relax and have a cup of coffee and eat breakfast. The food and service are good. Free Wi-Fi availible.
- Restoran Alcudia, Hotel 'Srbija', 1st floor, ☎ +381 13 832 933, . 7-23h. edit Delicious and cheap morning breakfast buffet in the town center. Great prices and a broad selection of wines. Has a VIP room for business meetings. Free Wi-Fi availible.
- Vega 8 International, Vuka Karadžića 11, ☎ 013 830 080, . edit Pleasant ambiance with a generous offering of Italian and Serbian cuisine. Affordable prices and kind staff.
- Motel Vetrenjača Restoran, Beogradski put bb., ☎ 013 801 156, . edit
- Kod Slaviše. edit A newly-opened restaurant with Tamburica music every weekend. Located on the hill.
- London Pub, Žarka Zrenjanina 101, ☎ 065 300 0096. 08-01h. edit A nice English pub, with lots of beer to choose from, coffee, and good rock 'n' roll music. Quality is very good and the prices are cheap.
- Kafeterija Kwon, Abreševićeva 2, ☎ +381 65 3866-166. edit Good place for long drinks and relaxation.
- Café Forum, Vuka Karadžića 15a, ☎ (013) 837 520. 08-24h. edit
- Club M, Millennium Tower Business Center, 6th floor. edit Great view from the tower. Free Wi-Fi availible.
- Max Caffe, Vuka Karadžića 4, ☎ (063) 832 6928. editDJ night every day during summer from 08-24h. Free Wi-Fi availible.