Vilnius is the capital and largest city of Lithuania. It lies in the valley of the confluence of Neris and Vilnia rivers and has 527,930 inhabitants (2013 statistics). Along with Linz, Austria, Vilnius was the European Capital of Culture in 2009.
Gate of Dawn from the outside
The word Vilnius is a masculine form of the Vilnia river's name (which is feminine) and refers to the river surge. Therefore, the spelling in other languages (Vilna, Wilna, Vilno, Wilno) are the same word adapted to the corresponding grammar. The area has been inhabited since the Mesolithic era, but it only became a capital city in 1323 when Grand Duke Gediminas transferred the Seat from Trakai to Vilnius. A monument to Gediminas (author of the concept is a Lithuanian-American sculptor Vytautas Kašuba) stands in Cathedral Square near the site of the former pagan temple. The Grand Duke is depicted at the monument when he made a final decision, dismounted from his horse and blessed the land which essentially became the capital. It's known that its glory would echo like an iron-wolf-like sound throughout the world. The howling Iron Wolf from the Grand Duke's prophetic dream is depicted below. You can find these two key names, Gediminas and the Iron Wolf (Geležinis vilkas), along with the motif of the howling iron wolf quite often everywhere in Vilnius. They are branched into the forms of daily life so they are often overlooked, unless you're purposely looking for them.
History and people
You just entered the Old Town through the Gate of Dawn early in the morning
Vilnius has always been a multi-national city populated with Lithuanians, Germans and Slavs from the immemorial time, later on with Jews as well. Although the original city location was lost due to erosion, the present day Old Town reappeared in the Middle Ages. These inhabitants were forced to settle down there since the heights of a Vilnia river bank made it impossible to live elsewhere. The colonies of German and Ruthenian merchants and missionaries existed prior to that and evolved into German Town and Ruthenian Town. Then afterwards, the towns turned into suburbs and finally fully integrated into the city. Now, they can be identified by a cute Lutheran Kirche hidden in numerous courtyards of the Old Town or a complex of the Orthodox Monastery and Church of the Holy Spirit. Since 1652, Vilnius formally became one of the principal cities for Lithuanian Jews and became a symbolic capital of Jewish culture in 1661. The Jews of Vilnius in the 19th century were constantly increasing the economical factor, which remained so until 22 Jun 1941. According to the data of Jewish Community of Lithuania, 70,000 out of the 100,000 victims murdered by the Nazis and their Lithuanian collaborators at the forest of Paneriai were Jews from Vilnius and surrounding regions.
After the decisions made at the Yalta Conference after the war, the Soviets expelled most of the urban Polish population to Poland and the newcomers (mostly workers and military) arrived from Russian SFSR. During extensive urbanization through 1950-1970, more people from other parts of Lithuania, neighboring parts of Belarus, as well as Russia, Ukraine and other Soviet republics arrived and became an integral part of the city population. According to the census of 2012, Vilnius' population includes 63.2% Lithuanians, 16.5% Poles, 12% Russians, 3.5% Belarusians and 4.8% others. For comparison to 2001: 57.8% Lithuanians, 18.7% Poles, 14% Russians, 4.0% Belarusians, 1.3% Ukrainians, 0.5% Jews and 5.5% others.
Vilnius Tourist Information Centre (Vilniaus turizmo informacijos centras), (has 2 offices in the city and one office at the air port - in a lobby of the arrival terminal near the main exit. Two other offices are located in relevant spots of the Old Town: within premises of Town Hall (Didžioji St 31) and near the centre between Hotel Novotel and the Museum Of Radziwiłł Palace (Vilnius St 22).), ☎ At the air port +370 5 230-6841; at the Town Hall +370 5 262-6470; at Vilnius St 22 +370 5 262-9660 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-8169), . Working hours slightly vary, roughly 09:00-18:00, longer at the air port. Provides various information (free of charge), organize tours (tour price varies), offer various publications and maps for regular price; some leaflets and maps with a very basic info may be offered (if available) for free or a token price edit
Jewish Culture and Information Center, Mėsinių St 3A/5, (Old Town, behind the Town Hall and Contemporary Art Centre), ☎ +370 5 261-6422 ([email protected]), . M-F 12:00-18:00, Sa 12:00-16:00. Provides all information related to Jewish heritage in Vilnius, provides assistance and organizes tours. edit
City bus stop next to the Vilnius air port main entrance.
(IATA: VNO) Vilnius International Airport (Vilniaus oro uostas), Rodūnios Rd 10a (south of city, Kirtimai district), ☎ Information for passengers: +370 612 44442 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 232-9122), . Lost baggage information: +370 610 75212, [email protected] . It is the largest civil airport in Lithuania and is located 4.6km south of both bus and train stations, and 6.22km from city centre, as measured by the transport routes. The airport is very compact and consists of one dual building. Original part was constructed in 1944 in Socialist Classicism style, but now serves as an arrivals terminal and retains all flaky Soviet-style details, except for the gloomy mood. In 1993, the building was substantially expanded by constructing a new modern departure terminal in late High Tech Architecture style, best seen when viewed from the side of the runway. The city bus stop is immediately next to the main entrance and the taxis can be found just in front of the arrivals terminal. For the accommodation within the airport territory see Air Inn hotel in “Sleep” section below. (54.643133,25.2801) edit
These airlines operate to and from Vilnius International Airport:
Air Baltic (Copenhagen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Riga, Rome-Fiumicino, Tallinn, London-Gatwick (seasonal)),
Austrian Airlines (Vienna),
BelAvia Belarusian Airlines (Minsk),
Brussels Airlines (Brussels),
El Al (Tel Aviv),
Estonian Air (Tallinn),
Grand Cru Airlines (a charter airline),
LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw),
Norwegian Air Shuttle (Oslo-Gardermoen, Stockholm),
Ryanair (Barcelona, Bremen, Brussels, Cork, Crete-Chania, Dublin, Liverpool, London-Stansted, Milan-Bergamo, Oslo, Paris-Beauvais, Rome-Ciampino),
SAS Scandinavian Airlines (Copenhagen, Stockholm),
Small Planet Airlines (a charter airline),
Trans Aero (Moscow-Domodedovo),
Turkish Airlines (Istambul),
UIA Ukrainian International Airlines (Bangkok, Geneva, Istanbul, New York, Kiev, Tashkent, Tbilisi),
UTair Aviation (Moscow-Vnukovo),
Wizz Air (Ålesund, Barcelona, Bergen, Doncaster-Sheffield, Dortmund, Eindhoven, Frankfurt, Kutaisi, Larnaca, Liverpool, London-Luton, Malmö, Madrid, Milan-Bergamo, Oslo, Stockholm, Paris, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv).
Kaunas International Airport (KUN)
 (IATA: KUN), is the second busiest civil airport in Lithuania located ~100km west of Vilnius in a small town Karmėlava NE of Kaunas.
Transfers from Kaunas airport to Vilnius
- There are direct scheduled minibus rides from Kaunas Airport to Vilnius railway station after each arriving flight. The same buses go to Kaunas Airport from Panorama Hotel before each outgoing flight.
- Kaunas city bus #29 goes regularly from the airport to Kaunas railway station in the centre where you can transfer to a train or intercity bus to Vilnius.
The Bus ride to the centre takes 15 minutes and buses depart from the airport every 10–15 minutes. Ticket is obtained by purchasing it from the driver for €1. Only one piece of hand luggage to fit under a single seat is allowed. For larger luggage, extra tickets should be bought.
- Bus #1 goes from the airport (Lithuanian: Oro uostas) to the central bus/train station ("Stotis").
- Bus #2 goes from the airport to the bus/train station , passing the football stadium at Liepkalnis street.
- Bus #88 goes from the airport to the City Business Centre (Konstitucijos avenue, Europa square), riding through the Old Town first.
- Bus #3G goes to the north through the centre (Lukiškės square), business centre (Konstitucijos avenue), continuing on to Fabijoniškės sleeping district in the north, near beginning of the A2 highway towards Riga (within city limits the highway is called Ukmergė street). The bus number's trailing letter "G" on a green background stands for "Greitasis" which means "Express bus". It stops at all relevant stops in the centre, while skipping some regular stops before and after the centre.
Lietuvos Geležinkeliai operates trains from the airport to the main train station for €0.70. The train ride takes 7 minutes, but trains depart every 45 minutes.
It is recommended that you follow the local practice and book the taxi before arrival. Use taxi apps for mobile phone like Taxi.lt, Taxify, Uber, or eTaksi. These apps show the estimated fares before your ride. There are also taxis waiting at the airport in front of the arrivals terminal. In order to avoid misunderstandings, know your destination because all average prices are for the distance from the airport to the bus station (c. €10) or the centre (c. €15), but if your hotel is somewhere further than the price it can be double or triple. Prices per kilometre are not fixed so they are highly dependent on fuel prices therefore all figures above should be interpreted as approximate. Specific info on taxi prices at the airport can be found at Vilnius air port website "Transportation" section.
Vilnius train station in winter: double-decker EMU EJ575 Vilnius-Kaunas. Note that the deep snow never causes any inconveniences to the railway traffic in Lithuania.
Lietuvos Geležinkeliai operates trains from major destinations. There are daily train connections with Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad and Minsk. One train per day used to go to Warsaw, it's now temporarily canceled due to railway reconstruction between the border and Kazlų Rūda town. The train station in Vilnius is located just south of downtown.
Motorways serve Vilnius from Kaunas and Panevėžys. The modern four-lane motorways and main roads are in a very good state, however, in the winter smaller roads are not cleared. The speed-limit is 130kph on the motorways (110 kph in winter), but 100 kph on the Vilnius-Kaunas sector, 90 kph outside towns and 50kph in town.
The bus station is located across the street from the main train station. A schedule of all regional buses is posted near the ticket window.
Eurolines and ECOLINES operate service between Vilnius and Kaunas, Kaliningrad, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Warsaw, with further connections all over Europe.
Since 2015, PolskiBus opened the "Baltic route" and it's now possible to travel from Warsaw to Vilnius (and/or farther to Riga and Tallinn) at fairly cheap fares with their buses.
. Same type of tickets is used for both bus or trolleybus, however bus and trolleybus route networks are separate, as well as schedules and route (line) numbering.
Inside the bus from left to right: you can see two red mechanical punches, yellow electronic punch for electronic tickets, and yellow electromechanical punch for paper tickets, partially hidden by a former punch.
Although the Old Town is one of the largest in Europe, it can easily be explored on foot.
By Public Transport
"Susisiekimo paslaugos" operates buses and trolleybuses in Vilnius. A single ticket for either bus or trolleybus use costs €1(, purchased from the driver (cash only) or ~€0.70/30min if a Vilniečio kortelė (Vilnius Citizen Card) is purchased from a kiosk, "PayPost" outlet, Post office or "Maxima" supermarket for €1.50. When changing buses, you need a new paper ticket. Paper tickets need to be stamped/validated by using one of two ticket punches: mechanical (the tiny red machine near the driver - put a ticket in and pull the rear part towards you to punch it) or electromechanical (yellow or brown punch with a slot - insert your ticket and it will be stamped) or by swiping the Vilnius Citizen debit card at the yellow electronic readers. Validate your ticket immediately after boarding the vehicle. Controls are regular, especially during the first days of each month and hefty fines are issued to those without validated tickets. There is a 50% discount for students and elderly people, both in public and private buses. There is also a 80% discount for disabled people and people over 80 years old.
See official public transport route map.
Be aware that trolleybuses and other buses use the same numbering system but the routes are completely different.
There are several routes of the fast buses (not trolleybuses) called "Greitasis" (Express) which stop only at major stops and connect important parts of the city (residential districts - centre - air port and such), they have the route number with a trailing letter "G" on a green background. Altogether, there are 6 different express-bus routes: 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G and 6G. Their schedules and routes are marked in green. Routes and numbers of the regular buses are marked in blue, those of the trolleybuses are marked in red.
A regular cab may cost about €5-10 if you need to get from periphery of the city to the center. You could call a taxi by phone or mobile application, even if you see a taxi on the street nearby. Street taxis could charge as much as twice the price as taxis called by phone. Good practice is to dial the number written on the vehicle you see, tell the dispatcher the address you're at, and you will most likely get the same vehicle for a fair price.
Taxify is a convenient mobile app for taxi booking in Baltic countries, covering hundreds of verified taxis in Vilnius, working with leading taxi companies. Uber and Yandex. Taxi are also available in Vilnius. There are other mobile taxi apps like etaksi or Etransport.
Traveling by car is not advised during rush hours (7:00-9:00 and 16:30-18:30) due to traffic jams.
There are several well known foreign car rental companies as well as several domestic companies in Vilnius.
City-Bee operates a car sharing network where you can rent a car by the hour. There is no contract nor monthly fee, you pay only for the service when you use the car, no parking expenses when you are not using it. There are 13 pick-up points throughout the city, mostly in the centre and some relevant points in northern districts.
In the city centre you often find bike lanes; however, that doesn't mean they are well respected. The only "real" bicycle path leads along the river Neris North to Verkiai Nature park and the "Green lakes".
Five reasonable bicycle routes within city limits and Green Lakes area are presented in bilingual leaflet Bicycle Routes in the City of Vilnius. Development of bicycle path connections and improvement of the existing network is scheduled to complete until 2020. New paths to the most remote districts and recreation areas as well as densification of the network in the centre is scheduled to complete in c. 2027. So far development is fragmentary and carried out in relevant spots "step by step".
- Cyclocity Vilnius, . a self-service bike rental system that features 36 stations in central locations operating annually during May-September. Every station has at least 9 bike stands. The stations require a "Cyclocity Vilnius" Card (obtained at Tourist Information Centers), Vilnius Citizen Card (the Vilniečio kortelė - public transport card) or a 3 Day Ticket card. (latitude,longitude) edit
- Vilnius Bike Tours, Pylimo g . 31, ☎ +370 674 12123 ([email protected]), . Daily, beginning at 11:00, lasts - half tour 2-4 hrs, full tour 4-6 hrs. Information on cycling in English, some other languages by request. €15/€20 (Half tour/ full tour). (54.67692,25.28020) edit
- Velo-City Vilnius, Pylimo g . 31, ☎ +370 674 12123 ([email protected]), . (April-Sept.) daily 10:00-21:00. Used bikes sales and rentals and including helmets, locks and lights. Bike rental €9 per day. (54.67692,25.28020) edit
- Velotakas, Gediminas Ave 26 (Centre, in the middle of Gediminas Ave), ☎ +370 618 45727 ([email protected]), . Free delivery of a bicycle to all hotels in Vilnius city, free helmets and locks. No deposit needed. Bike rent in Vilnius city for €8/4 hr... €12/24 hr for 1 person. edit
Vilnius Old Town (Rūdninkų Street)
Vilnius in winter: "VCUP"
shopping mall by the right hand side, dome in the centre.
means "The Other Side Of The River" - this bridge takes you there.
Constitution in English.
Town Hall Square in a rainy evening.
Old town (Senamiestis)
It is a city area which began to develop extensively around the Middle Ages and it eventually became surrounded by a defensive wall after some time. The wall was distinguished by its strong surroundings and its shape for a long period of time, but this area is now called Old Town and has a separate status in the Vilnius administrative division. While the urban structure reflects the earliest development from c. 14th century, the architecture of the buildings is mostly from Baroque and Classicism periods with some examples of Renaissance and Gothic, to a lesser extent. One should keep in mind that medieval Vilnius was once a wooden city. The huge fires ravaged Vilnius several times since 1513 to 1749. Therefore, many buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries (still considered new) have Gothic and Renaissance cellars, many of which now are occupied with restaurants, bars or shops.
One particular nice area is a block of artisan guilds that is notorious because of its evil fate: 6 Sep 1941 the two Jewish ghetto, commonly known as Vilnius Ghetto, were established. The ghetto operated until 24 Sept 1943.
In 1994, the Old Town was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Cultural Reserve of Vilnius Castles (Vilniaus pilių rezervatas), HQ: Šiltadaržio St 2, (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2662 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2499), . The heart of Vilnius. Reserve established in 1997 to preserve historical, spiritual and cultural centre of the state. Covers an area of 57.5 ha and comprise both Upper and Lower Castles, Cathedral with surrounding lowland called Šventaragio slėnis (Holy Horn Valley), the western part of Kalnų parkas (Hill Park) along Vilnia river. The latter now features several hills and multiple gullies that prior to erosion was a steep solid and fortified bank of Vilnia river, the first original location of Vilnius. edit
- Upper Castle (Gediminas Castle), Arsenalo St 5 (Climb up to it from the Cathedral Square or take the funicular on the other side of the hill, facing the river), ☎ +370 5 261-7453 ([email protected]), . Warm season 10:00-19:00, cold season 10:00-17:00. Erected on a top of a large hill-fort in the 9th–14th centuries by Dukes of Lithuania. Approximately in the very end of 13th century the Seat due to strategic reasons was transferred from Trakai to Vilnius and the castle was substantially reconstructed. The first castles were wooden, and only in the beginning of 15th century everything was rebuilt in brick and stone. The preserved ruins of Gothic Ducal Palace and surrounding fortifications remain to date. The top of the largest and the only survived tower of the defensive wall offer the best view of Vilnius. edit
- Tower of Gediminas Castle (Gedimino pilies bokštas), . The red-brick tower, a part of the Upper Castle fortifications. Houses an exposition of archaeological findings and other exhibits. National flag was first raised on its top in 1919 when the country regained independence from Russia. Since then the tower is an important state and historic symbol of Vilnius and of Lithuania itself. Adult: ~€2; Child: ~€1. edit
- Royal Palace Lower Castle (Valdovų rūmai), Katedra Sq 4 (Very centre, next to Cathedral), ☎ +370 5 212-7476, guided tour pre-booking +370 5 262-0007 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-7470), . Tu-F 11:00-18:00, lunch time 12:00-12:45; last visitors admitted 1 hr before museum closing. Reconstructed early Baroque style Royal Residence has 2 exhibition tour routes related to the historical functions of this palace: the 1st one shows its historical and architectural development, the 2nd route brings you into the ceremonial halls and the special Treasury Hall. Adult ~€3, students, seniors ~€2.50, families: 1 adult and 1-3 children ~€5, 2 adults and 1-3 children ~€10, free: children under 7, foster-home children, disabled persons, members of the International Council of Museums (ICOM), teachers in attendance of a group of more than 10 people. Guided tour in a foreign language ~€20 (can be booked for a group of not more than 25 persons). edit
- Vilnius Cathedral ((Vilniaus arkikatedra bazilika)), Katedra Sq 2 (Very centre), ☎ +370 5 261-1127 ([email protected]), . Visiting allowed not during the Mass, daily 07:30-18:30. Operating catholic cathedral. An original wooden cathedral was built here in 1251 on a site of the pagan temple. Later, in 1387, a Gothic style cathedral was built. Now it is a Classical style cathedral built in 1783-1801 to the project of architect Laurynas Gucevičius. He combined various forms of previous centuries chapels into a coherent whole, so that the most beautiful Baroque chapel of Saint Casimir (originally built in 1623–1636) remained untouched. There were 27 crypts of different depth and size under the Cathedral floor. Often overflowed during the spring floods, many times devastated by soldiers looking for treasures during the wars and upheavals, 1968-1989 the crypts were put in order, permanent exposition was arranged. Visiting crypts is permitted only accompanied by a guide. edit
- Cathedral Square & the Bell Tower, Katedra Sq 1 (Very centre). May-Sept: M-F 10:00–19:00, Oct-Apr: Tu-Sa 10:00–18:00. 57m high belfry was erected in 16th century on a base of the Gothic tower of the Lower Castle defensive wall. The tower base is round, while the Baroque belfry features octagonal plan. Approximately between the Bell Tower and Cathedral, in the square, look for a particular tile with a word "Stebuklas" (Lithuanian for "miracle") written on it. Stand on it, make a wish and turn around three times. Your wish should come true. This tile also marks the southern end of the Vilnius-Tallinn in the 1989 protest of the Soviet Union. Bell Tower ~€5, Cathedral Square free. edit
- Crooked Castle (Curvum castrum), Hill Park (the hill with a Three Crosses monument), . The castle name, usually translated as "Crooked" or "Curved", refers to its irregular plan. A remaining archaeological site locates on a Bleak Hill, also known as Three Crosses Hill. This and few other nearby hills mark the site of the original irregular "Y" shape citadel with perimeter defense fortification. River Vilnia below in the west was an additional natural obstacle. Dwellers lived further east. Deep ravines between the hills reflect the position of the former unpaved streets which was the cause of ensuing massive erosion. The Crooked Castle was besieged in 4-16 Sept 1390, broken in using Welsh Cat technique and burned down by Prussian-Livonian army, with the help of French and English mercenaries. It was a conflict between two Lithuanian monarchs: Grand Duke Vytautas allied with the Teutonic Knights against his cousin Jagiełło, who by that time became the King of Poland. edit
- Artillery Bastion of Vilnius Defensive Wall (Vilniaus gynybinės sienos bastėja), Bokšto St 20/18, LT-01126 Vilnius, . Closed for visitors since 2008; currently under reconstruction. ("54°40'37.57"N","25°17'33.53"E") edit
- Literatų gatvė (Street Of Writers), (Stretches eastwards from Pilies street near the house No 32), . 24/7. Small artworks, dedications mounted on the walls. Dedications to the literature workers: writers, translators, everyone who has link with Lithuania and is important for Lithuanian or world literature. Artworks crafted in various outdoor-proof techniques: ceramics, sculpture, glass, wallpainting. edit
- Presidential Palace (Prezidentūra), Simono Daukanto Sq 3 (Old Town near University), ☎ +370 706 64073 ([email protected]), . F 14:30, Sa-Su 09:00-14:30. This large palace dates back to the sixteenth century, when it was used as the Bishop's Palace. In the eighteenth century the building was enlarged and became the Governor-General's residence. It was visited by Tsar Alexander I of Russia, King Louis XVIII of France and Napoleon. Since Lithuania's independence in 1991, the palace has served as the official residence of the President of Lithuania. If the Standard (a dark red flag with the country's coat of arms) is flying over the palace, the President is at home. The Changing of the Guard takes place daily at 18:00. However, if you want to see traditional pageantry, then go to the palace on Sundays at noon and watch the soldiers take part in a flag-raising ceremony, wearing ceremonial uniforms and medieval armoury. Tours of the palace are by appointment only. edit
- Town Hall (Vilniaus rotušė), Didžioji St 31 (Central part of Old Town), ☎ +370 5 261-8007 ([email protected]), . M-F 08:00-18:00. Central building of the Old Town. The first Gothic style Town Hall was built in 1432 in the very same place as it is today. It was reconstructed several times until the city clock tower collapsed and damaged the significant part of the main building. The new Classical style building to the design of architect Laurynas Gucevičius was completed in 1799 and so remains till date. Since 2001 it operates as a public institution, organizes representative and protocol events, various ceremonies, celebrations of public holidays, overall about 300 cultural and educational events are held every year. ("54°40'40.93"N","25°17'12.69"E") edit
- Užupis District, . Part of Old Town, a largely unrestored area primarily occupied by artists, dreamers, squatters, and drunks. In 1998, the residents unofficially declared the area to be an independent republic, with its own president, anthem, flag, and constitution. Great to visit on April Fools day, when mock border guards stamp passports and the entire area erupts into a party. edit
Bell Tower and Cathedral in the evening
St. Anne's Church to the left, Church of St. Bernard to the right.
Detail of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church interior.
- St. Anne's Church (Šv. Onos bažnyčia), Maironio St 8, LT-01124 Vilnius (Old Town near Užupis), ☎ +370 698 17731, . One of the most beautiful churches in Vilnius and in Lithuania. Very small in size, but a very beautiful example of gothic architecture. There is a legend that when during his conquests Napoleon came to Vilnius and saw this church he said he would like to take it on his palm and bring to France. edit
- Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard (Šv. Pranciškaus Asyžiečio bažnyčia), Maironio St 10 (Old Town near Užupis, just behind the St. Anne's Church), ☎ +370 616 01159 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 260-9392), . M-Th 09:00-17:00, F 09:00-12:00. Construction completed in 1564. Together with St. Ann's Church compiles a one of the most important ensembles of Gothic architecture in the country. edit
- St. Peter and St. Paul's Church (Šv. apaštalų Petro ir Povilo bažnyčia), Antakalnio St 1/1 (In front of UK embassy and near Danish Embassy), ☎ +370 5 234-0229 ([email protected]). Another shockingly beautiful church, which is considered a Lithuanian Baroque masterpiece. The church is a basilica built on a traditional cross plan with a lantern dome allowing extra light into its white interior. Not so special from the outside, but extremely beautiful inside, with all the interior overcrowded with baroque sculptural works. (54°41′38.60″N,25°18′22.30″E) edit
- Evangelical Lutheran Church (Vilniaus evangelikų liuteronų bažnyčia), Vokiečių St 20, LT-01130 Vilnius, ☎ +370 5 212-3792 ([email protected]), . Operates since 1555. Located in the area of the former medieval German Town, hence the German street, or Vokiečių gatvė in Lithuanian. edit
- St. Casimir's Church (Šv. Kazimiero bažnyčia), Didžioji St 34, LT-01128 Vilnius (In Old Town central square, near the Town Hall), ☎ +370 5 212-1715 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-1876), . Another attractive Baroque church in the city centre, and named after Saint Casimir, the only Lithuanian monarch to be canonized and the country's patron saint. On the roof is a crown representing the saint's royal lineage. edit
- Orthodox Monastery and Church of the Holy Spirit (Vilniaus stačiatikių vienuolynas ir Šv. Dvasios cerkvė), Aušros Vartų St 10, ☎ +370 5 212-7765, . Mo-Su 10:00–17:00. Operates since 1567, after the reconstruction (1749-1753, architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz) the church became the only baroque Orthodox sanctuary in Lithuania; the male and female monasteries next to the church are the only working Orthodox monasteries in Lithuania. edit
- St. Catherine's Church (Šv. Kotrynos bažnyčia), Vilniaus St 30, LT-01119 Vilnius (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2913. An attractive baroque church in the western side of the Old Town. It is no longer consecrated, but used as a concert hall. The acoustics are excellent. edit
- Centre for Civil Education (Valstybės Pažinimo Centras), Totorių str. 28, ☎ +370 706 64094 ([email protected]), . Registration required for weekday visits: TUE–FRI: 9.00–16.00; No registration required for weekends: SAT–SUN: 11.00–18.00. The most modern museum in Vilnius which explores the statehood of Lithuania, its' history, present and future. The visitors are invited to get more knowledge of the Lithuanian state, to participate in its creation, and to get engaged in addressing its urgent challenges. free;. edit
- Contemporary Art Centre, Vokiečių St 2 (Old Town near Town Hall), ☎ Ticket office +370 5 212-1945 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-3954), . Tu-Su 12:00-20:00. There are always many extremely interesting modern art exhibitions. ~€3. edit
- Church Heritage Museum (Bažnytinio paveldo muziejus), Šv. Mykolo St 9 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 269-7800 ([email protected]), . Tu-Sa 11:00-18:00. Established in 2009 at Saint Michael the Archangel Church. Museum presents and exhibits the oldest sacral valuables. ~€3; guided tour in foreign language ~€20, audio guide ~€0.50. Discounts apply to full-time students of Lithuanian education institutions, members of International Student Organization (ISIC), residents of children care homes, the handicapped, clergyman. Free of charge for members of International Council of Museums (ICOM), members of International Association of Art Critics, journalists, guides who have the accreditation of Church Heritage Museum, pre-school children, groups of students accompanying teachers, visitors with Vilnius City Card. edit
- Customs Museum (Muitinės muziejus), Jeruzalė St 25 (Jeruzalė district), ☎ +370 5 279-6346 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 269-7263), . M-Th 08:30−16:00, F 08:30-15:00. Established in 1994. Everything about customs and smuggling since the times of Grand Duchy till now. edit
- Energetics and Technology Museum (Energetikos ir technikos muziejus), Rinktinės St 2 (Centre, on the bank of Neris river near Mindaugas Bridge), ☎ Excursion booking +370 5 278-2085 ([email protected]), . Th-W, F-Sa 10:00-17:00, Th 10:00-19:0. Established in 2003 celebrating 100th anniversary of Vilnius Central Power Plant in the premises of the original building. Cash only. Adult ~€3, school kid ~€2, tour in a foreign language ~€10. (54.69036N,25.28808E) edit
- Lithuanian Picture Gallery (Lietuvos paveikslų galerija), Didžioji St 4 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-4258 ([email protected]), . Tu-Sa 11:00-18:00; Su 12:00-17:00. The Chodkiewicz Palace was built in the 16th century for the wealthy Chodkiewicz family, although the current building was completed in about 1830. Today it houses the Lithuanian Picture Gallery, with pictures by artists from all over Lithuania, dating from the sixteenth to the early twentieth centuries Adult: ~€2. edit
- Money Museum of Lithuanian Bank (Pinigų muziejus), Totorių St 2 / Gedimino Ave 8 (Centre, entrance on the corner), ☎ +370 5 268-0077 ([email protected]), . 1 Apr to 31 Oct: Th-F 10:00-19:00, Sa 11:00-18:00; 1 Nov to 31 Mar Th-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-17:00. Established in 1999. Everything about money. (54.68651,25.28243) edit
- Museum of Genocide Victims/KGB Museum (Genocido aukų muziejus), Aukų St 2A (Centre), ☎ +370 5 249-8156 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 249-8156), . W-Sa 10:00-18:00, Su 10:00-17:00. Admission: ~€2; Audioguide: ~€3; English-speaking Guide: ~€15; Photographing: ~€2. (54.68798,25.27057) edit
Statue "First Swallows" ("Pirmosios kregždės")
in the National Gallery of Art square, sculptor Juozas Mikėnas
. Originally made of gypsum in 1964, enlarged brass replica erected in 1987. First swallows in Lithuanian culture symbolize the renewal of life.
- National Gallery of Art (Nacionalinė dailės galerija), Konstitucijos Ave 22 (Business Centre, between Europa and Forum Palace), ☎ +370 5 212-2997, reception +370 5 219-5960 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2888), . Tu-W 11:00-19:00, Th 12:00-20:00, F-Sa 11:00-19:00, Su and before national holidays 11:00-17:00. Contemporary, multi functional centre of art and culture, permanent and temporary exhibitions. 20-21st century Lithuanian art collections. The 150 seat auditorium equipped for conferences and cultural events. Fitted for disabled people and families with carriages for children. Out of curiosity, the building was designed in 1968 in High-tech architecture style (architects Gediminas Baravykas and Vytautas Vielius), built in 1980 and operated as a Museum Of Revolution until 1991; reconstructed in 2005-2009. €2; info desk, book store and café can be visited without entrance fee. edit
- National Museum of Lithuania, Arsenalo St 1, ☎ +370 5 262-9426, . Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00, Su 10:00-15:00. Biggest and oldest source of national cultural heritage in the country, which systematically collects, stores, displays, and popularizes the history of the state. Adult: ~€2; Child: ~€1. edit
- Literary museum of Alexander Pushkin (Puškino muziejus), Subačius St 124 (Markučiai district), ☎ Excursion booking +370 5 260-0415 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 260-0080), . W-Su 10:00-17:00. Located in a mansion of Pushkin family: in 1883 Grigory and Varvara Pushkins married in Vilnius and soon settled in Markuchiai estate. Varvara Pushkina died in 1935, leaving the estate in debts. In the testament, she demised everything to a trusteeship of the Vilnius Russian society and charged the Society to establish and run Alexander Pushkin’s museum at the homestead. After the WWII it belonged the Ministry of Culture of the Lithuanian SSR, and since 1990 it is an independent culture institution of Vilnius Municipality. Has a 25 seat room equipped for conferences. ~€1.50. edit
- Europos Parkas, Open-Air Museum of the Centre of Europe (Europos parkas), Joneikiškės village, Vilnius district (North of Vilnius), ☎ +370 5 237-7077 ([email protected], fax: 370 5 237-7077), . 10:00-sunset. Open air museum of modern and contemporary art surrounded with woods. The sculptures created by artists from more than 35 countries worldwide, are exhibited in the area of 55 ha. The museum give an artistic significance to the Centre of Europe, calculated by the French National Geographic Institute. The collection includes large scale works by famous artists such as Abakanowicz, Oppenheim, LeWitt, Pepper. Acknowledged by Guinness World Records the world's largest artwork of TV sets created by Karosas is also on exhibit. Admission: adult ~€8, school kid €4, guided tour in English ~€30. (54.888352,25.384684) edit
- Vilna Gaon State Jewish Museum (Valstybinis Vilniaus Gaono žydų muziejus), Naugarduko St 10/2, ☎ +370 5 231-2357 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-2358), . Established in 1913, closed in 10 Jun 1949, re-established in 13 Feb 1991. Has 2 virtual and 3 permanent exhibitions in different locations: (54.67715,25.27702) edit
- Holocaust exhibition (Green House), Pamėnkalnio St 12 (Centre), ([email protected]). M-Th 09:00-17:00, F 09:16:00, Su 10:0-16:00. Tours in foreign language available. Adult €2, child €1.50. edit
- Memorial Museum of Paneriai (Panerių memorialinis muziejus), Agrastų St 17, Paneriai suburb (Westernmost end of Agrastų St - the street that stretches from the train stop along the railway), ☎ Excursion booking +370 662 89575 ([email protected]). Th-Su 09:00-17:00. edit
- Tolerance Centre (Tolerancijos centras), Naugarduko St 10/2 (New Town district), ☎ +370 5 231-2358 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-2358). M-Th 10:00-18:00, F, Su 10:00-16:00. Exhibition topics: Rescued Lithuanian Jewish Child Tells about Shoah, Signs of Ruined Litvaks World, The Lost World, Jewish Life in Lithuania. (54.67715,25.27702) edit
Monuments & statues
Statue of Saint Christopher in Gediminas Ave.
- Angel of Užupis Statue, Užupio St & Malūnų St (Užupis district). Statue of an angel blowing a trumpet and standing on an egg. edit
- Boy With A Big Shoe In His Hands (Mažas berniukas su dideliu batu rankose), intersection of J. Basanavičius and Mindaugas streets (New Town), . Statue of a 9-year-old boy holding a shoe - it depicts a young French novelist Romain Gary who was born and raised in Vilnius, in that particular area. Erected in 2005, sculptor Romualdas Kvintas. edit
- Doctor Aybolit (Lithuanian: Daktaras Aiskauda; English: Doctor Ow-It-Hurts), intersection of Mėsinių and Dysnos streets by the Ghetto Victims Sq (Old Town). Monument to the doctor Zemach Shabad who was a prototype of Doctor Aybolit, a character from a very popular poem for children by Russian poet Korney Chukovsky. Aybolit was a very loose adaptation of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, which is always credited in the prose adaptation of the poem. Korney Chukovsky in his memoirs tells that he met with a doctor in Vilnius on 1912; the monument depicts a particular episode from this story. Erected in 2007. edit
- Frank Zappa Statue, Kalinausko St 1 (west of Old Town), . The first statue in the world for honoring this great musician. Erected in 1995 by the local Frank Zappa fan club. A replica of the statue in Vilnius was presented to Baltimore city in May 2008; two years later it has been unveiled next to the Southeast Anchor Library at the corner of Conkling Street and Eastern Avenue in Highlandtown, Baltimore. Free. edit
- Road Of Freedom (Laisvės kelias), by the Geležinis Vilkas viaduct, Konstitucijos Ave (Šnipiškės district), . An abstract conspicuous sculpture commemorating the 20th anniversary of the restoration of the State of Lithuania. Visual expression symbolizes the chain of people who joined hands and connected the 3 Baltic States in 1989, it is painted with the national flag colours. The sculpture is a collective creation – everyone could contribute and get a special brick which was put in the sculpture. The name of the person who has contributed was stamped on each brick. Constructed in 2010, sculptor Tadas Gutauskas. edit
- Three Crosses (Trys kryžiai), (Behind the Gediminas Castle, on the edge of a Hill Park), . A monument to seven Franciscan monks that were tortured here by pagans before the conversion of Lithuania to Christianity. Also symbolizes the importance of Christianity to Lithuania. Originally erected on a Bleak Hill (Plikasis kalnas) in 1916 to the design of architect Antoni Wiwulski. Blown up by Soviets on 30 May 1950, recreated on 14 Jun 1989. Remains of the original monument are left at the spot on purpose. edit
A corner of Bernardine Garden
Vilnius is quite green city, it especially is noticeable in summer as the greenery often obstructs to photograph the buildings. There are several minor skverai (squares), and several proper parks.
- Park Vingis (Vingio parkas - Meander Park), M.K. Čiurlionis St 100 (NW of the New Town district in the meander of Neris river), . 00:00-24:00. The largest (162 ha) park in Vilnius, the main venue for various events and many recreational activities. Known since 16th century as a Lukiškės Pine Forest of the Mikołaj Radziwiłł The Black manor estate. The more recent history was similarly rich and diverse, its traces can be found in the different corners of the park, while the most of the territory is covered by nice forest with majestic pines. Free of charge except for the concerts and other events that take place in the Amphitheater of the park. (54.683013,25.238629) edit
- Bernardine Garden (Bernardinų sodas), Maironis St (Old Town between Gediminas' Castle and the Church of Saint Francis and Saint Bernard), . 07:00-22:00. Former Sereikiškės Park, it has been substantially reconstructed in 2013. It is supposed that in 13-14th centuries there was a holy pagan grove, which was cut down in 1387 after the introduction of Christianity. Bernardine monks owned the territory since 1469 to 1864, when it was closed by Tsarist government. Current appearance of the park replicates the romantic original 1886 design made by the artist Alexander Strauss. During some events there may be entrance fee. (54.683755,25.297208) edit
- Hill Park (Kalnų parkas - Park Of Hills), Kosciuškos St, . 00:00-24:00. A hilly forested area with a stadium and a small amphitheater where various events take place, including concerts, political rallies, and sporting competitions. The park belongs to the Cultural Reserve of Vilnius Castles and features several prominent hills close to Vilnia river, though the rest of the territory also is covered by multiple steep hills and gullies, a result of long lasting erosion. Free of charge. (54.68852,25.298911) edit
- Tuskulėnai Peace Park (Tuskulėnų rimties parkas), Žirmūnų St 1N (near Žirmūnai roundabout in Žirmūnai district), ☎ Exposition +370 5 275-2547 ([email protected]), . Exposition W-Sa 10:00-18:00, Su 10:00-17:00. Pleasant place with a park and a Tuskulėnai neoclassical Manor House that features the extremely dark events of history. The Memorial Complex of the Tuskulėnai Peace Park contains: Chapel-columbarium, Tuskulėnai Peace Park, Tuskulėnai Manor Palace and Office, The White Manor House (exposition “The Secrets of Tuskulėnai Manor”), The Chapel of Saint Theresa. Exposition entrance fee for adult €2, photographing €2 (filming is allowed only if arranged in advance), guided tour in foreign language €15, review of a documentary €6. (54.698301,25.302507) edit
military cemetery: a mass grave of Napoleon soldiers of the Great Army, who died during Franco-Russian war of 1812 and were found in the Northern Town district during construction works in 2002-2003
- Balsiai Mythological Park (Balsių mitologinis parkas), NW of eastern intersection of Balsių and Žynių streets (east of a Ragės bus stop where the bus #65 stops, northern suburb Balsiai), . 00:00-24:00. A small thematic park established and created by the residential district community in cooperation with the sculptors and architects. Features various compositions, objects, installations and sculptures depicting the Baltic deities and some abstract phenomena. Info shield by the entrance at 54°47'1.1"N, 25°21'12.89"E. Out of curiosity, the surrounding streets are named after the various Baltic deities and characters, so it should not be surprising why residents are so tuned to the subtleties of mythology. Free of charge. (54.783965,25.352854) edit
- Verkiai Regional Park, Žaliųjų ežerų St 53. One of the biggest parks in Lithuania, located almost entirely in Verkiai elderate in the north of the city. One can reach the park by bus #35 or #36. It is known for Verkiai Calvaries, which have been constructed exactly following the plan of Jerusalem, with the distances, water bodies and elevations being very close to the original Way of the Cross. Way of the Cross consists of 22 chapels, 7 wooden and brick gates, and two baroque church ensembles. It is advisable to visit this park for those who likes great panoramic views. edit
Several cemeteries in Vilnius are important historic sites and notable tourist attractions.
- Rasos (Dew Drops), Rasų St 32 (Rasos district on Ribishkes Hills), . Oldest and most prominent cemetery in Vilnius. (54.668526,25.305513) edit
- Bernardine Cemetery (Bernardinų kapinės), Žvirgždyno St 3 (Užupis in Old Town). Covers 3.87 ha, established in 1810 and administrated by the Bernardine monastery. In 19th century the cemetery was a favourite place for local residents to go for walk, as the cemetery reminded of a park. (54.680107,25.308592) edit
There is an interesting Jewish cemetery in Šeškinė including the grave of the Vilna Gaon, a very important rabbi. By the entrance to Vingis park is a war cemetery with Russian, German, Hungarian, Polish and Turkish soldiers from both wars.
Throughout the year, there are a variety of cultural, music, cinema, theatre, art, and fashion festivals taking place.
Traditional Vilnius festivals
- Speigas (Frost), takes place in severe conditions of the premises of selected club, traditionally it is “Kablys” (see “Clubs” section below). Annual festival of post-industrial and avant-garde electronic music. Tend to extend also to Kaunas. edit
- Kaziuko mugė (Kaziukas Fair) — a Saint Casimir's Day, the largest annual folk arts and crafts fair held in the streets of Vilnius’ centre and Old Town on the Friday-Sunday nearest to March 4.
- Kino pavasaris (Cinema Springtime), ☎ +370 5 249-7221 ([email protected]), . Annually from the middle of March to beginning of April. International Film Festival (Vilnius IFF) “Kino pavasaris” is the largest cinematic event in the country, known and loved for its high quality independent film programme and rich accompanying package of cinema-related events, workshops, and special initiatives. edit
- Fashion festival (Fashion Infection), HQ: Raugyklos St 15-312. Event usually takes place in Contemporary Art Centre - see section “Museums” above, ☎ +370 5 262-9683 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-9683), . Annually, in the spring, approximately the second half of March. A prominent conceptual fashion festival where professional and upcoming designers are brought together. Involves catwalk shows, exhibitions, seminars, show-rooms and some free events. Intends to help people to develop their individual style and attitude towards fashion. Every autumn presents an additional event Mados injekcija (Fashion Injection) - an upcoming talent program. No pets, punctuality. €15-40, tickets to be purchased separately for every event. edit
- Europos dienos (Europe Day), . Annually 9 May and the nearest weekend to this day. Celebration dedicated to united Europe; a traditional Restaurant Fair "Taste Of Europe" ("Europos skonis") takes place on the main street Gediminas Avenue (Gedimino prospektas) stretching from Cathedral Sq towards Parliament for about 1km. edit
- Vilniaus festivalis (Vilnius Festival), HQ: Aušros Vartų St 5 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 266-5210 (vffilharmonija.lt, fax: +370 5 266-5266), . Annually from the end of May to the beginning of July. International festival of classical music, one of the most prestigious, solid and versatile events in Lithuania. edit
- The Christopher Summer Festival, HQ: Stiklių St 8 (Old Town), ☎ +370 656 52665 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 210-7166), . Runs for 2 months, July and August. The largest summer music festival in Lithuania, various concert events take place in different spaces in Vilnius, also stretches to some other districts of the country. edit
- Sostinės dienos (Vilnius City Fiesta), takes place in all the largest open-air spaces of Vilnius: Town Hall Sq, Cathedral Sq, Vingis Park, Gediminas Ave, ☎ +370 5 212-7364 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-7364), . Annually the first weekend of September. A wide range of attractive entertainments of all kinds: from pop, rock, electronic, jazz and world music to classical music and opera, film programmes, street theatre, fashion shows, carnivals and traditional craft and food fairs on the streets. edit
- Vilniaus fejerija (International firework festival Vilnius Extravaganza), M. K. Čiurlionis St 100 (Park Vingis), ☎ Mobile +370 699 94682 ([email protected]), . Second half of September, 19:00-23:00. No pets allowed. Performances of pyrotechnic professionals. €10-30. edit
- Vilnius Documentary Film Festival, “Skalvija” Cinema Centre, A. Goštautas St 2/15 (Centre, between Opera House and the River Neris), ☎ +370 5 261-0505 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 268-5832), . Lasts for several days in the second half of September. Largest international documentary film festival in the Baltic States, focusing on intellectual audience. €4. edit
- Sirenos (Sirens - Vilnius International Theatre Festival), ☎ +370 614 97424 ([email protected]), . Annually from the end of September to the beginning of October. Focusing on audience which is ready for artistic challenges, young in spirit and open to new theatrical ideas. Try to present a new generation of European directors, who reached their artistic maturity after the fall of the Berlin wall and thus have become a bridge between two different worlds. edit
- Vilnius Jazz, ([email protected]), . Annually the long weekend in the middle of October. Founded in 1987, it remains an exceptional event in Lithuania, providing a broad perspective on contemporary trends in jazz from all over the world. Has earned a reputation of a radical avant-garde festival oriented towards novelty and limit-stretching creativity. edit
- Go Karts, Plytinės St 27 (Next to the students camp at Saulėtekis district, NE edge of the city), ☎ +370 699 56704 ([email protected]), . €10-15 per 10 minutes. edit There are two tracks: open track at Saulėtekis district near the students camp, and the indoor track with battery powered karts in Panorama Mall west of city business centre.
- Hot air balloon tour, Upės St 5 (Centre by Neris river), ☎ Mobile +370 652 00510 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 273-2702), . One of the favourite tourists' activities in Vilnius, interesting way of sightseeing. Regular flight €100-150 per person, night flight ~€280 per person, romantic flight €350 per person, flight in 7km hight (only for groups) ~€880 per person. edit
- Interactive Shooting Range (Kariauk tiras), Has 2 indoor ranges: Savanorių Ave 7, and Viršuliškių St 10 (the former one - New Town district in the building of Forum Cinemas Vingis, the latter one - Viršuliškės district at the Mada mall), ☎ +370 655 11158 ([email protected]), . Approximately 14:00-21:00. Recreational shooting to the targets displayed on screen. Airsoft weapons are identical copies of combat arms, corresponding in size and weight. 6mm polymer shots. Entertainment is suitable for all, from children to elderly seniors. AEG 25 rounds €1.45, AEG machine gun (M249, MK1) 50 rounds ~€6.00, gas powered guns with recoil 15 rounds ~€3.00. Price for groups of 3-10 people 1h/1000 rounds ~€50. (54.678088,25.255335) edit
- Laser Tag, only by prior registration. There are 2 places in residential districts - north of city centre and south of city centre:. edit
- Lazerių poligonas (Laser Firing Range), Ateities St 10 (2nd floor in the building of a former factory, Fabijoniškės district), ☎ +370 655 62260 ([email protected]), . Registration 08:00-22:00. Suitable for both children and adults. The weapons are exact copies of a corresponding weapon: visually identical (made in arms factory), weighs the same, shoots the same distance, included adequate gunshot audio. Also offer an outdoor laser strike entertainment. 1h for 1 group ~€65. (54.736799,25.267398) edit
- Lazeriai (Lasers), Pelesos St 1/2 (7th floor in the building of a former taxi fleet (entrance from south), Naujininkai district), ☎ +370 683 14400 ([email protected]), . 09:00-24:00. Darklight games. Suitable for both children and adults. Blasters (weapons) look similar to fiction weapons, weighs ~1kg. For 1 group: ~€60/1h, ~€116/2h, ~€175/3h. (54.665072,25.274097) edit
- Recreational shooting, several places of different styles in different locations:
- Gelsauga, Kibirkšties St 2 (Aukštieji Paneriai industrial district), ☎ Reservation +370 663 56062, . M-Th 07:00–16:00, F 07:00–14:45, lunch break 11:00–11:45. On weekends by prior agreement. New indoor range of a Paramilitary Guard, open to all. Shooting distance 10-25m. (54.633565,25.180812) edit
- Šaudymo klubas (GSKA), Mindaugo St 42 (Not far from bus station, entrance from Punskas St), ☎ Mobile +370 677 66381 ([email protected]), . By prior arrangement. Rent of a weapon for 1 person €3.50/h, place/instructor ~€10, 1 round €1. edit
- Šūvio akademija (Shoot Academy), Semi-open range 1: Kosciuškos St 7; range 2: Valakupių St 5 (Range 1 - Hill Park near centre; range 2 - NE end of Antakalnis district, near Valakampiai viaduct), ☎ Range 1: +370 657 46528, range 2: +370 657 46528, . By prior registration. M-F 12:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-14:00. Club of practical shooting sports. Also organize firing missions in the training grounds in accordance with the agreed script. Short gun rent ~€6/1h, long gun rent ~€9/1h, instruction ~€6/1h, 10-50 rounds (depends on gun) ~€4.50-12.00. (54.689176,25.300254) edit
- Super Segway, Vilniaus St 45 (Old Town), ☎ +370 612 34444 ([email protected]), . All year round, unless the temperature drops below -10°C. Segway tours around the main attractions of the Old Town, on your own or guided. There are no restrictions for using segway in public spaces, think of it as similar to cycling. Kids younger than 10 y.o. or kids who weigh less than 40kg are under parents responsibility. All riders under 16 years of age must use a protective helmet. Segway rent: €20.7/1.5h; ~€35/2h. Guide: ~€54 for 1.h, ~€70 for 2h, VAT included. (54.680922,25.281608) edit
Vilnius Lietuvos Nacionalis Dramos Teatras (Lithuanian National Drama Theatre)
- Lithuanian Opera and Ballet Theatre (Nacionalinis operos ir baleto teatras), A. Vienuolio St 1 (Between the Green Bridge (Žaliasis tiltas) and Gediminas Ave), ☎ +370 5 262-0727, . Beautiful ornate building. Three or four weekly performances. From €3 to €35. (54.68954,25.278661) edit
- Oskaras Koršunovas Theatre (OKT), Ašmenos St 8 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2099 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 261-1877), . Information via phone is provided on workdays 10:00-18:00, performances usually begin at 19:00 – exact time on the ticketing website. One of the most original modern theatres in Europe. Price vary around €20-35. (54.67789,25.28392) edit
- Russian Drama Theatre (Rusų dramos teatras), J. Basanavičius St 13 (New Town), ☎ Ticket office +370 5 262-0552 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 265-2167), . Ticket office: Tu-Sa 10:45-18:30, lunch break 14:45-15:30; Su 11:00-16:00. The first permanent Russian theatre troupe was founded in December of 1864. During WWI, the troupe disbanded, and started working again only since 21 Sep 1946. In 1980 the theatre moved to the historic theatre building and remains here to date. Theatre pays great attention to young audience. In recent years works more closely with the Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation. One ticket €10-20, cash only. (54.680903,25.273341) edit
- Teatro arena (Arena Theatre), Olimpiečių St 3 (Šnipiškės district, by Neris river), ☎ Information +370 683 77357 ([email protected]), . The large venue used as a theatre, dance hall, concert space, and sometimes for conferences and exhibitions. (54.691994,25.293928) edit
- Basketball Games, . The city's main team is named after one of its sponsors Lietuvos Rytas Newspaper. It uses Siemens Arena for its home games in European competition, as well as high-demand domestic games, most notably the national derby against Žalgiris of Kaunas. Other games are held at the adjacent Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Arena. edit
- Free Tai Chi workouts near the White Bridge, near Upės St 6 (next to the White Bridge on the northern bank of Neris river), ☎ +370 659 85263 ([email protected]), . Hours vary, typically on weekends since 08:00. Also taichi workouts for seniors Tai Chi Workouts for Seniors on M, W and F, and for everyone in various locations every weekend, details may vary, check out the updates on both official websites. (54.69335,25.274451) edit
- Positive Tattoo, Aušros vartų 16, ☎ +370 6 44 007 44 (positivetattoo.lt), . edit Studio is located in Vilnius Old Town. There you can get individually created tattoos by professional artists.
Vilnius University State Room (Aula
Vilnius University Library in campus of Saulėtekis
district. Built in 2013 to the design of architect Rolandas Palekas.
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus universitetas), Universiteto St 3 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 268-7001 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 268-7009), . Founded in 1579 by Grand Duke of Lithuania Stephen Báthory, it is one of the oldest Universities in Eastern Europe. edit
- Vilnius Academy of Arts (Vilniaus dailės akademija), Maironio St 6 (Old Town and Užupis district), ☎ +370 5 210-5430 ([email protected]), . edit
- Academy of Music and Theatre (Muzikos ir teatro akademija), Gedimino Ave 42 (Centre, closer to Parliament), ☎ +370 5 261-2691 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-6982), . Provides educational strands at tertiary level in Music, Theatre, Audiovisual Art, and Art Studies. edit
- Mykolas Romeris University (Mykolo Romerio universitetas), Ateities St 20 (Fabijoniškės district), ☎ +370 5 271-4625 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 267-6000), . edit
- ISM University of Management and Economics (ISM Vadybos ir ekonomikos universitetas), Arklių St 18 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-3960 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-3961), . edit Courses lectured in English: International Project Management (6 ECTS) and International Business and Economics (6 ECTS).
- Vilnius Cooperative College (Vilniaus kooperacijos kolegija), Konstitucijos Ave 11, ☎ +370 5 275-0103 ([email protected]), . Has probably the best location of all the educational institutes in Vilnius as it is located right in the business center on the northern bank of the river Neris. The college has also very cheap accommodation building 20 m from the college (including guests rooms for visitors) and a good canteen (lunch for less than €3. Open for the public also. Discount for students). edit
The average wage is around €795.20(after taxes) a month. Lithuania's unemployment rate is comparable to the EU average.
ATMs are very common in Vilnius and most shops accept major credit cards.
Vilnius is famous for its amber, wool socks and hats and flaxware.
Upscale retailers present in Vilnius include Hugo Boss, Armani, Escada, Dolce & Gabbana, John Richmond, ZARA, United Colors of Benetton, and Mango. There are also some young local designer butiques in Stiklių street. Pilies street is where you can find tourist souvenirs.
Large supermarkets include: Maxima, Rimi, Iki and Norfa.
- Akropolis, Ozo St 25 (Šeškinė district), . 08:00-23:00. edit The name is a playful hint of a Greek citadel on a hill (in this case it tops a Šeškinė Hill) with an ironic reference to Acropolis of Athens as an extremely popular attraction.
- Banginis, P. Lukšio St 34 (Žirmūnai district, Northern Town Šiaurės miestelis subdistrict), . 08:00-20:30. edit The shopping mall name means "Whale". Has the one of the largest stores of the construction, exterior and interior decoration materials, tourism equipment and electronics Senukai. There are several other stores that can't be found in the centre, restaurant-tavern of Lithuanian cuisine "Katpėdėlė", Wine Room "Vynoteka" (has several Vynotekas in Vilnius and other cities) and a grocery store "Iki".
- Europa, Konstitucijos Ave 7A (City business centre on a northern bank of Neris river), ☎ +370 616 95680 ([email protected]), . 07:00-24:00, some stores have different working hours. edit The name refers to the opening date of 2004 when Lithuania joined EU, the square and all surrounding complex of buildings including the Business Centre Tower that was named after Europe to commemorate this event.
- Helios City, Savanorių Ave 1, ☎ +370 5 265-2362 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 265-2362), . (54.67948,25.25808) edit The name refers to the two apartment towers with the sun reflecting facades.
- Ozas, Ozo St 18 (Near Siemens Arena), . 10:00-22:00. The name means "Esker": the mall is built on Šeškinė Esker which stretches across the city from the east to the west along Ozas Street. edit
- Panorama, Saltoniškių St 9 (Saltoniškės district), . 08:00-23:00. The name refers to the view one can see from a third floor restaurant. edit
- Parkas Outlet, Verkiai St 29 (Žirmūnai district, Ogmios Town), ☎ +370 655 01137 (toll free: 8 800 29292, [email protected]), . M-Sa 10:00-20:00, Su 10:00-18:00. edit
- VCUP (Vilniaus centrinė universalinė parduotuvė), Konstitucijos Ave 16 (City business centre, by Neris river near the White Bridge), ☎ Information desk +370 5 273-1515, . Stores 10:00-22:00, restaurants 10:00-24:00. Second oldest of the such kind of shopping centres in Vilnius, operates since 1974. edit
In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
- Agotos gryčia (Agatha's Rustic House), Šeškinės St 59A (West of Ukmergė street near the overpass, residential Šeškinė district), ☎ +370 698 16976 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 242-6205), . M-Th 10:00-23:00, F 10:00-01:00, Sa-Su 11:00-01:00. A rustic oasis of traditional Lithuanian cuisine, surrounded with the concrete blocks of flats and modern business buildings and offices. Five halls, TV screen. Take aways. Suitable for parties, banquets, buffet. Cold or hot snacks ~€3, soup ~€1.6-2.5, second course ~€3-8, day lunch (M-F 12:00-15:00) ~€3.5. edit
- Ararat, Kauno St 3a (Close to the bus station, 1 stop by trolleybus No 16 from the stop at the bus station Sq), ☎ +370 5 233-4569 ([email protected]), . Su-Th 10:00-22:00, F-Sa 10:00-23:00. Armenian restaurant, Armenian food. Café. Offer food to the house service. Banquets, buffet for up to 500 people. Soup €2.50-4.50, salad €3-4.50, shashlyk €4.50-7.50, second course (plov, tapaka, etc) €3-9, snacks, dessert €2-3.50. Day lunch around €4.50. edit
- Bistrolita, Lukiškių St 5 / Mečetės St 4 (City centre, on the corner of two tiny streets, with the view to Lukishkes Prison, surrounded by engineering and scientific institutes), ☎ +350 5 212-6157 ([email protected]). An eatery, the cheapest and unpretentious place to eat for locals working in vicinity. edit
- Борщ (Borscht – the name is officially written in Cyrillic everywhere), Algirdo St 5 (New Town), ☎ +370 5 260-3344, mobile +370 618 05003 ([email protected]), . M-F 10:00-23:00, Sa-Su 11:00-23:00. Ukrainian restaurant, genuine Ukrainian cuisine. Everything is simpler than expected. Borscht and dumplings are very/extremely good. The interior is eclectic, not designed specifically to reflect the Ukrainian spirit. Day lunch, business lunch (11:00-15:00) ~€4.50. Average price €5-6.
- Briusly, Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south and not far from McDonald's at Gedimino Ave), ☎ Mobile +370 691 41205 ([email protected]), . M-W 11:00-02:00, Th 11:00-04:00, F, Sa 11:00-06:00, Su 12:00-24:00. DJ Bar every Sa since 21:00; brunch every Su 12:00-15:00. Serves Asian, mostly Thai cuisine. As one can surmise, the place is named after Bruce Lee. Considered to be one of the most fashionable places of artistic youth. Middle-priced, but portions are generous. In the night turns to the club with lots of original cocktails. Free entrance; salads €7-10, appetizers €4.50-6, soups €6-9, entrees €6-10, desserts €3-4.50. edit
- Chačiapuri (Khachapuri), Sodų St 9 (Bus station vicinity, New Town district), ☎ +370 5 240-5851, . M-Fr 11:00-19:00, Sa 10:00-19:00. Authentic Georgian food, best khachapuries in town. The staff enthusiastically participates in all city fairs and holidays (note: not just major ones, but basically every one), have a stand in Cathedral square during Christmas, also have the stands in Halė Market and Gariūnai Business Park. Accept orders via phone and their Facebook account (click Užsisakyk čia). (54.673041,25.283259) edit
- Čili, . Chain of theme restaurants offering Lithuanian food, both contemporary and traditional, as well as some Italian and Asian food modified to meet Lithuanian taste. edit
- Forest, has 3 restaurants: Savanorių Ave 1 (within “Helios City”), Žirmūnai St. 2 (within “Iki”) and at Vokiečių St. 8 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 698 16728 ([email protected]), . Open daily approximately 11:00-22:00. Chain of steak and salad restaurants, menu varies according to the seasons (which are heavily pronounced in Lithuania), dishes are prepared from the carefully selected products that come from trusted farmers. Restaurant concept is reflected by three-fold nutritional formula: fresh, seasonal, grown by local farmers. edit
- Soya, has 6 restaurants: Konstitucijos Ave 26 (within “Forum Palace”), Ozo St 25 (within “Akropolis” mall), Ukmergės St 369 (within “BIG” mall, north-west of town), Vienuolio St 4 (Centre), Vokiečių St 8 (Old Town), Žirmūnai St 68A (Northern part of Žirmūnai district), ([email protected]), . Open daily approximately 11:00-23:00. Chain of asian fusion restaurants. edit
- Jammi (pronounce: Yummy), Five places, mostly in residential districts, the one closest to the centre is in front of Žalgirio Maxima - at Kalvarijų St 88 within Sostinė Market territory, entrance from Žalgirio street, ☎ Kalvarijų: +370 655 42115, . Chain of kebab shops that offers very good value. edit
- Kas Kas, Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south and not far from McDonald's at Gedimino Ave), ☎ Mobile +370 630 17121 ([email protected]), . M-W 11:00-24:00, Th 11:00-02:00; F, Sa 11:00-05:00, Su 12:00-24:00. Lunch, dinner, drinks, takeaway. Has a TV screen for major sport events (especially basketball) and such. Has a cocktail bar. In the night turns to the club. Business lunch (full course) ~€15. Free entrance. edit
- Kinų rožė (Chinese Rose), has 3 places in Vilnius: Gediminas Ave 64, Savanorių Ave 1, Kauno St 15 (Former two in the centre, latter two in the New Town district), ☎ +370 615 27155 ([email protected]), . 11:00-23:00. A chain of Chinese restaurants. €5-20. edit
- Leleko, Gynėjų St 2 / Gediminas Ave 49A (Centre, near the Parliament), ☎ Mobile +370 633 30437, . M-F 11:00-22:00, Sa-Su 12:00-22:00. Ukrainian restaurant, Ukrainian cuisine. Relatively simple, but decent restaurant. Ukrainian meals are good. Has a decent and very popular outdoor terrace (only in summer). Several metres to the city prison or similar distance to the Parliament, out of curiosity. edit
- RadhaRane, "Gedimino (has 2 places: in the city centre and within Ozas mall), ☎ Mobile +370 650 68304 ([email protected]), . M-F 10:00-21:00, Sa-Su 11:00-21:00, at Ozas: 10:00-22:00. Especially for vegetarians. Menu has Indian-style entrees, fragrant rice and bread. Also for a smaller bite, they have baked samosas. €3-6, fancy cakes up to €15. edit
- Wok to Walk, Vilniaus St 19, ☎ +370 655 91919, . A famous Wok to Walk franchise in Vilnius. More like €6 for rice, sauce, vegetable/meat selection and drink. Prices: €3-5. edit
- Yucatan, Pylimo St 2/Islandijos St 6 (On the corner of Pylimo and Islandijos streets, in the cellar), ☎ +370 676 39234, . M-Th 16:00-23:45, F-Sa 16:00-07:00. Mexican restaurant, calm and convenient location. Tacos, mezcal, cerveza, baile. edit
- Amatininkų užeiga (Artisans Tavern), Didžioji St 19/2 (Town Hall square (Rotušės aikštė)), ☎ +370 5 261-7968, mobile +370 687 22366 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 279-1010), . Su-Th 10:00-17:00, F-Sa 10:00-19:00. Lithuanian and international food. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. edit
- Balti Drambliai (White Elephants), Vilniaus St 41 (Old Town), . Cozy vegetarian-vegan cafe, world/reggae music, live concerts in the evenings. edit
- Cozy, Šv. Ignoto St 16 (Old Town), ☎ Reservation +370 5 261-1137 ([email protected]), . M-W 09:00-02:00, Th-F 09:00-04:00, Sa 10:00-04:00, Su 10:00-02:00. Cafe-restaurant, established in 2004. Downstairs there is a Nińo Tapas Bar, listed below at the "Bars" section. edit
- Fortas, restoranų grupė (Fort, a chain of restaurants), (Several restaurants in different locations), ☎ +370 5 210-2450 ([email protected]), . First restaurant opened in 1996 on Algirdas street 17 (still operates), since 2003 began to focus on traditional Lithuanian food and culinary heritage. Now owns three thematic chains. edit
- Forto Dvaras (Fort Hall), 3 places: Pilies St 16, J. Kubilius St 16, Ukmergės St 369 (Respectively: Old Town district, behind Rimi mall in Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis) district, Big mall in Fabijoniškės district), . Approximately 11:00-23:00, slightly vary from place to place. Traditional Lithuanian cuisine, meals by ethnographic regions of Lithuania; organize Lithuanian meal tasting sessions. edit
- Terazza restoranas (Terazza Restaurant), Konstitucijos Ave 26, (Forum Palace), ☎ Reservation +370 616 36011 ([email protected]), . M-W 09:00-22:00, Th-F 09:00-24:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Su 12:00-24:00. Popular for private parties and celebrations, has special proposals for large groups of tourists. (54.697504,25.266843) edit
- Kitchen, Didžioji St 11 (Old Town, entrance from the courtyard, 2nd floor), . 11:30-24:00. Cozy lithuanian place to have a diner with friends, not focused on tourists though foreigners are welcome too. edit
- La Provence, Vokiečių St 22 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 262-0257 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-2360), . 12:00-24:00. Operates since 2001. Mediterranean food. House specials include roebuck with cherry sauce. Starters: ~€10; Main courses: ~€20; Extensive wine list: From €25.. edit
- Mano Guru (My Guru), Vilniaus St 22 / Labdarių St 1 (South of Novotel Hotel, near DNB Bank, entrance from Vilniaus St.), ☎ +370 5 212-0126 ([email protected]), . A salad bar. All of the staff are former drug addicts. Fresh food. No alcohol. Food is mostly vegetarian. Light breakfast €2-4, salads €3-4, salads with meat €3-10, soups €3-5, special menu for children €2-3. edit
Detail of Marceliukės klėtis
- Marceliukės klėtishttp (Barn of Little Marcel), Tuskulėnų St 35 (Žirmūnai residential district), ☎ +370 5 272-5087 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 272-5023), . Hearty portions of traditional Lithuanian food. Salads €3-4, soups €2-3, main courses €5-30. edit
- Medžiotojų restoranas (Hunter’s Restaurant), Jeruzalės St 16 (Jeruzalė district, in front of Iki grocery store across the street, on the second floor above a small grocery store Gastronomas Rūpestėlis), ☎ +370 5 269-7088, mobile +370 686 00009 ([email protected]), . Business lunch 11:00-15:00. Operates since 1971. Game dishes, broth, beer, strong drinks. Venison ~€15. edit
- Vapiano, Konstitucijos Ave 7A (Europa Shopping Centre), ☎ Reservation +370 5 238-3489 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Italian style, fast casual restaurant, 240 seats total. Tasty salads, a la carte pastas and pizzas are made in front of the guest. Pizzas €4-8. edit
- Verkių vandens malūnas (Water-mill Of Verkiai Manor Estate), Verkių St 100 (Verkiai district, at the foot of the slope by the street along Neris River), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 271-1666 ([email protected]), . 12:00-22:00. Water-mill operated until 1975. Burned down in 1984. After the reconstruction in 1999 opened as a restaurant. European cuisine. Features the interwar Lithuanian cuisine. Business lunch ~€5; main course ~€10-25. edit
- Vinchenso Mimoza, Islandijos St 1 / Vilniaus St 31, ☎ +370 652 93587 ([email protected]), . Workdays 11:00-24:00, weekends 15:00-24:00; combo lunch 11:00-16:00. Contemporary asian cuisine, some modified lithuanian meals, wine. edit
- Zoe's Bar & Grill, Odminių St 3 (Centre close to Cathedral square), ☎ +370 5 212-3331 (fax: +370 5 212-3337), . Great Thai food, salads, soups, and cocktails. Spicy Zoe's African beef and pepper soup €4, sofisticated Filet-Mignon €18, on the whole about €30. edit
- Aula, Pilies St 11 (Old Town, premises of Vilnius University complex), ☎ +370 5 268-7173 ([email protected]), . Beer restaurant, the name means "University State Room". Offers traditional food of old preserved Lithuanian cuisine. Summer terrace. Live Jazz/blues music. €20. edit
- Balzac, Savičiaus St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 614 89223 ([email protected]), . M-Th 11:30-23:00, F-Sa 12:00-23:00, Su 12:00-21:00. Traditional French cuisine, magnificently executed, great atmosphere. ~€5-20. edit
- Belmontas (Belmontas Entertainment and Recreation Centre), Belmonto St 17 (Belmontas district by the river Vilnia), . Folk-themed eateries near an old French mill and beautiful waterfall. Beautiful setting popular for weddings. A 10 min drive by car or taxi from the centre of Vilnius. 90 LTL. edit
- Bistro 18, Stiklių St 18 (Old Town, artisan guilds block), . Small restaurant and wine bar with good selection of cuisine. Main courses: 26-42. edit
- Čagino ((Chagin's)), Basanavičius St 11 (New Town), . Named after the famous Russian architect Nikolay Chagin who lived in the house that was there prior to recent building was constructed. Vegetable, groats and farinaceous dishes, dumplings and pelmeni, desserts, Russian drinks. Live Russian music played on a guitar. Main courses: 26-41 LTL. edit
- Da Antonio, Vilnius St 23 (Centre), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 262-0109 ([email protected]), . ~€25. editExcellent Italian food, more upscale than Čili Pica.
- El Gaucho Sano, Pilies St 10 (In Hotel Atrium), ☎ +370 5 210-7777 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 210-7770), . Argentinian-style food (lots of meat) in a a spacious restaurant. Good service. ~€40. edit
- Ida Basar, Subačiaus St 3 (Old Town near the Philharmonic within premises of Tyzenhaus Palace), ☎ +370 5 262-8484 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-7834), . M-Sa 12:0-22:00, Su 12:00-21:00. Specializes in 14-18 century noble cuisine of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Has eight halls and a culinary heritage museum with about 6,000 exhibits. ~€30; day lunch ~€5. edit
- La Pergola, Ligoninė St 7 (Old Town, close to Pylimo street), ☎ +370 5 266-0322 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 266-0323), . M-Th, Sa 17:00-23:00. Favorite place for luxury wedding celebrations, official institution banquets, business meetings and other events. Cold and hot snacks, soups €6-10, main courses €17-25. edit
- Lokys (Bear), Stiklių St 8 (Old Town, artisan guilds block, in the courtyard), . Medieval restaurant, famous for its Gothic cellars. Specializes in medieval and hunters meals, offers some vegetarian food. Beer, wines, cocktails. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. Pre-ordered for groups (10 or more people) 42-110 LTL. Salads and snacks 20-40 LTL, hunting takes 55-70 LTL, vegetarian ~25 LTL, meat courses 30-60 LTL. edit
Entrance to Medininkai
courtyard, 16th century sgraffito can be seen on the left.
- Markus ir Ko, M. Antokolskio St 11 (Old Town, artisan guilds block, street with arch), ☎ +370 5 262-3185 ([email protected]), . Great steaks and live music. Soup ~€5, meat course ~€20-30, Lithuanian strong drinks 40 ml ~€3-5. edit
- Medininkai, Aušros Vartų St 8 (Old Town, close to the Gates of Dawn), ☎ +370 600 86491 ([email protected]), . M-Su 12:00-23:00, breakfast 07:00-10:00. Lithuanian fusion cuisine. Restaurant operates since 1974, when restoration of the building unveiled the 16th century sgraffito on the facade (scarce technique in Lithuania) which immediately became one of the most famous landmarks of the Old Town. Has a summer courtyard and a Wine Cellar in the authentic vaulted Gothic cellar. One of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. Snacks 8-30 LTL, main course 30-60 LTL, desserts 9-16 LTL. edit
- Narutis Cellar Restaurant (Naručio rūsio restoranas), Pilies St 24 (Old Town, within Narutis hotel; apart this restaurant the hotel has other two), ☎ +370 5 261-7722 ([email protected]), . Business lunch on workdays 11:30-14:00. Eastern European food. Combi lunch 14 LTL, other 100 LTL. edit
- Stikliai, Gaono St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-9580 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-3870), . Tu-Su, breakfast 07:00-10:30, lunch 12:00-15:00, dinner 18:00-24:00. Lithuanian and French cuisine. The restaurant is set in the hotel's interior courtyard. It was opened long before the hotel was established and is one of the five longest-running authentic restaurants in Vilnius Old Town. edit
- Verkių restoranas (Verkiai Restaurant), Žaliųjų ežerų St 49 (Verkiai manor estate, entrance through the main gates, behind the tennis courts, the main building, entrance to the restaurant from the eastern side), ☎ +370 5 210-2333, mobile +370 686 30808 ([email protected]), . Feasts, banquets a la carte, fourschettes, seminars and conferences. Can serve up to 1000 persons. edit
- Vokiečių restoranas (German Restaurant), Aušros Vartų St 11 (Near the Gates of Dawn), ☎ Reservation +370 5 212 -8312 ([email protected]), . M-Th 11:00-23:00, F 11:00-02:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Su 12:00-20:00. German style restaurant, authentic German dishes (among others - high quality beef steak, lamb, game, fresh seafood), German beer and wine. Snacks 11-30 LTL, soup 15-20 LTL , German hot dishes 30-40 LTL, German steak 35-100 LTL, German dessert 13-16 LTL. edit
Drink carefully as most bars will politely ask you to leave if they notice that you appear drunk (staggering, yelling, grabbing strangers). Falling asleep in bars is not tolerated. If you break a glass, many places will expect to be repaid for it on the spot but it's usually a very reasonable price.
Smoking is banned in all public places. However, a number of nightclubs have internal smoke rooms; the ventilation can be of variable quality. If you leave a club to smoke outside, make sure you get stamped and get eye contact from the bouncers so you won't have problems getting back in. It can be a good idea to show the bouncer your cigarette or cigarette packet, before exiting the premises.
- BIX, Etmonų St 6 (Old Town), ☎ Rezervation +370 5 262-7791 ([email protected]), . Operates since 1995. Tarantino-style bar founded by the Lithuanian rock band of the same name. Live rock/hardcore/metal bands on Friday nights, karaoke on Thursdays, and rock music (all the time) on the dance floor, made in the vault. edit
- Brodvėjus (Broadway), Vokiečių St 4 / Mėsinių St 4 (Old Town), ☎ +370 652 57790 ([email protected]), . T-Su 20:00-05:00. Cozy bar/nightclub, playing mostly pop music. Popular among both tourists and locals. Courteous staff. edit
- Coca Inn, Gedimino Ave 2A (Near Cathedral), ☎ Mobile +370 600 47862 ([email protected]), . Tu 22:00-04:00, W-Th 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00. Has 3 halls: Lounge Hall with a "Shot bar", Calm Hall with a deluxe "Cigar Room" on the side, and the Grand Hall with a grand bar. Dress code trendy everyday. Mug of beer ~€2. edit
- Disco331 Buddha, Vilniaus St 33 (Edge of Old Town, close to one of the Tourism Information Offices), ☎ Mobile +370 683 04257 ([email protected]). Th-Sa 23:00-06:00. Cocktail Bar/Night Club with a two-meter tall Buddha statue, which stands in the centre of the bar. One of the largest clubs in Vilnius, capacity up to 800 people. Despite good "face control", often is very crowded. Admission: ~€6. edit
- Exit, J. Jasinskio St 16A (a block south of Parliament between Neris river and Geležinio Vilko (Iron Wolf) street), ☎ Mobile +370 698 59116 ([email protected]), . Fr, Sa, Su. EDM and house music. Admission: ~€6-8. No booking in advance, one can book a table by dealing directly with a waitress, the price for 1 table in a Big Hall from ~€175, in a Small Hall from €100. edit
- Galaxy, Konstitucijos Ave 26 (3rd floor of the Forum Palace). Youths, techno music night club. edit
- Kablys (Kultūros baras Kablys – “The Hook, a Culture Bar”), Kauno St 5 (Close to the Railway/Bus stations, an old soviet building of clubhouse originally built in the pseudo classical style, now decorated with a giant humorous hook (Lithuanian: Kablys)), ☎ Mobile: (bar) +370 663 79593; (events) +370 687 75370 ([email protected]), . Famous, almost a cult place, The Hook, or Kablys in Lithuanian. A large multifunctional recreational space, total area 3,000m². Four halls, up to 1,000 visitors. Largest indoor skate park. Subculture, underground. Cash only. edit
- Lindyhop.lt Klubas, Geležinkelio St 6 (Next door building to the railway station, entrance from the railway side), ☎ +370 647 71111 ([email protected]), . M-F: 15:00-22:00. The coolest and oldest Lindy Hop club in Lithuania. 1 lesson per week €25. edit
- Loftas (Menų fabrikas) (Loftas. Factory Of Arts), Švitrigailos St 29 (New Town district, close to the railway, in the former soviet factory building), ☎ Mobile +370 621 99580 ([email protected]), . Big and trendy place for big events. edit
- Men's Factory (Gay Disco Club Vilnius), Ševčenkos St 16i (New Town district, entrance from the courtyard), ☎ +370 453 98734, rezervation +370 650 60601 ([email protected]), . F-Sa 22:00–06:00, Su 19:00–06:00. Gay-oriented venue, also attracts a heterosexual clientele. Admission: €10. edit
- Metro, Pamėnkalnio St 13 (Centre), ☎ Mobile +370 699 10666 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 18:00-06:00, Su 15:00-03:00. Heavy Rock and Underground music club. Up-to-date information is provided on their social website. Free billiard; beer and other strong drinks for affordable price. (54.68683,25.27281) edit
- Mojito naktys (Mojito Nights - night club/cocktail bar), Didžioji St 33 (Main street in the Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 666 00008 ([email protected]), . Th 21:00-02:00, F-Sa 21:00-06:00. Fun place with dance music in the centre of Old Town; dress code - "trendy everyday". Has 2 halls, capacity up to 200 people. edit
- Legendos Klubas (New York Club), Kalvarijų St 85 (Almost in front of Maxima, across the street by the square with a monument, building of a former soviet cinema theatre), ☎ +370 5 273-1273, mobile +370 610 10762 ([email protected]), . 19:00-03:00. Performances, concerts, cultural projects. Private parties and entertainments, business parties, family parties, seminars and conferences. Personal menus. edit
- Opium, Islandijos St 4 (Old Town, south from both McDonald's and Novotel at Gedimino Ave), ☎ Mobile +370 691 41205 ([email protected]), . Fr 11:00-24:00, Su 00:00-05:00. Electronic dance music, local and international djs. edit
- Pabo Latino, Trakų St 3 (Old Town, close to Pylimo street), ☎ +370 5 262-1045 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-4063), . Fr 11:00-24:00, Su 00:00-05:00. Latin American cocktail bar-club, passionate and friendly place. Has 190 seats total, 3 halls, 2 bars, a large outdoor terrace in summer. Entrance is permitted from the age of 21, strict face control. Pay car parking in daytime, free in the evening. Th 21:00-03:00; F, Sa 21:00-05:00. edit
- Posh, Pamėnkalnio St 7 / A. Stulginskio St 8 ''(Several metres south of Gediminas Ave (in the middle),, ☎ Reservation (mobile): +370 672 28258 ([email protected]), . M-Th 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00, Su 22:00-05:00. Cocktail Club, dressy clientele, posh place. edit
- Salento DiscoPub, Didžioji St 28 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 676 82015. The only club open every night in Vilnius. International and friendly atmosphere, definitely a good place to party until late. Good hits music mixed by local and international djs. The most popular place between Erasmus Students. edit
- Soho Club, Švitrigailos St 7/16 (New Town district), ☎ Mobile +370 699 39567 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 213-7329), . F-Sa 22:00-07:00. Popular with all sections of the LGBT community. 22:00-23:00 free, 23:00-01:00 €3, 01:00-04:00 €6. edit
- Tamsta (Tamsta Club), A. Strazdelio St 1 (Old Town, close to the city wall bastion), ☎ Table reservation +370 611 56496 ([email protected], fax: -, skype: Tamstaclub), . W-Th 19:00-24:00, F-Sa 19:00-02:00. Beginning of events: W-Th 20:30, F-Sa 21:30. Prominent live music club, 180 seated places, can accommodate 350 people total. Persons under 18 year of age are admitted to the club only with parent escort. Snacks €3-5, hearty dishes €5-7, soft drinks and cocktails (100-500ml) €3-4, strong drinks and cocktails (40ml) €3-8. edit
- Alaus kolonėlė ((The Beer Station)), Rinktinės St 55 (Next to the both petrol station and Maxima supermarket at Rinktinės and Tuskulėnai streets intersection, Žirmūnai district), ☎ +370 607 81183, . M 15:00-22:00, Tu-F 12:00-22:00, Sa-Su 10:00-22:00. Small pub with both some raw Lithuanian farmhouse ale of smaller breweries and some world famous brands, and no cousine - just some snacks. The beer is good, as well as snacks. (54.702179,25.288297) edit
- Alaus namai ((House of Beer)), Goštauto St 8 (Centre, 262m NW direction from the S end of the White Bridge), ☎ Mobile +370 687 28930 ([email protected]), . M-W 12:00-24:00, Th 12:00-01:00, F 12:00-03:00, Sa 13:00-03:00, Su 13:00-23:00. Big saloon type bar in a cellar. Specializes in draft beer and Lithuanian farmhouse ale commercially made by small breweries in the countryside, offer about 18 brands. Most of beers are unfiltered. Has also all main Lithuanian traditional strong drinks and Lithuanian cider on draft. The bar has an outdoor seating in warm season. Also offer regular lunch, takeaways. Beer: bottled 0.5 litre €1.45-3.00, draft 0.5 litre ~€1.74-2.00. Food: main course €4.50-20.00. (54.693692,25.268923) edit
- Alaus studija ((The Beer Studio)), S. Žukausko St 20 (Žirmūnai district, Šiaurės miestelis (Northern Town) subdistrict), ☎ +370 685 60885 ([email protected]), . M-Th 11:00-01:00, F 11:00-02:00, Sa 14:00-02:00, Su 14:00-23:00. Set in a historical building originally built in 1875 as a Tsarist Russia army canteen; authentic floors, windows, doors and columns still in tact. Focus on world famous and best beer brands right from the keg. Nice burgers, hot dogs, German snacks. Day lunch, outdoor seating in summer. edit
- Alchemikas ((Alchemic)), Islandijos St 1 (Old Town, close to Vilnius St), ☎ +370 612 99800 ([email protected]), . W-Th 19:00-02:00, F-Sa 19:30-04:00. Cocktail bar, especially suitable for private parties. Vintage and classic cocktails. Slightly surrealistic interior. No pets allowed, no live music. edit
- Apuokas ((Eagle-Owl)), Subačiaus St 6-5 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 262-7931, . edit One of the cheapest but still qualitative bar in the Old Town, a division of "Apuokas" Dart Club (contacts: [email protected]). Mostly famous as the gathering place for local underground people. May look scary, but perfectly safe, though it also depends. Recommended dish - čenachai and darts, if not drunk (tournaments on Sundays since 13:00). The bar has rather long history, it was established in a then newly restored building and had a name "Pelėda" (Owl). The cellars were flooded up soon after, the bar was closed but maintained good memories and reputation among Vilnius residents, former students and artists in particular. Finally the Owl revived as an Eagle-Owl. Prices: draft beer "Švyturio Extra" 6 LTL, beers "Baltas", "Baltijos", "Utena" - 6 LTL, the Bar-Beer "Apuokas" 4 LTL.
- Artistai ((The Artists)), Kazimiero St 3 (Old Town), ☎ Info, reservation +370 5 212-1268 ([email protected]), . The large popular courtyard is a great place to relax and watch the sunset. Friendly service. Rock music. edit
- Bambalynė, Stiklių St 7 (Old Town, just off Town Hall Square), ☎ +370 676 00075 ([email protected]), . Located in a hidden underground cellar, this bar specializes in rare beers and meats from the Lithuanian countryside. Great atmosphere and cheap prices! Sausage platter + a beer: 13 LTL. edit
- Būsi Trečias ((You'll Be A Third One)), Totorių St 18 (Old Town, close to Gedimino Ave), ☎ +370 5 231-2698, . The first bar/pub, which started to brew its own beer in Vilnius. Beside lager type beer, they brew dark black beer and also make various beer cocktails. Besides its main attraction beer, there are some good food. The food prices are rather low. Good place for communication. edit
- Cactus, Bokšto St 7 (Old Town), ☎ +370 6 048-9117, mobile +370 601 12555 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 215-3901), . Su-Th 11:00AM-2:00AM, F-Sa 11:00AM-4:00AM. Pub, Tequila bar & grill, and a regular restaurant at a daytime. Tucked away in the alleys of the Old Town. A warm, cozy atmosphere, great food. Serves exotic dishes such as crocodile, shark, and pheasant. edit
- Meat Lovers Pub, Šv. Ignoto St 14 (Old Town), ☎ +370 652 51233 ([email protected]), . M-W 10:00-22:00, Th 10:00-24:00, F 10:00-03:00, Sa 12:00-03:00, Su 12:00-20:00. Real meat, proper burgers, draft beer, correct cocktails, such like B-52 and B-57. Two halls, live music, TV screen. Has a paid parking. In 2016 there should be a 10 year anniversary celebration. Day lunch: soup ~€2, second course ~€5, day cocktail ~€4. edit
- Mr. Pub, A. Jakšto St 9 (Centre, between Gedimino Av and the river, E of Lukiškės Sq hidden near the gateway in the forecourt of a historic yellow brick building at 54.689392, 25.276389. To the right from the Muzikos Rūsys bar), ☎ +370 608 65058 ([email protected]), . M-W 17:00-01:00, Th 17:00-02:00, F-Sa 17:00-04:00, Su 17:00-23:00. A simple beer bar, very suitable for beer lovers. Cash only. ("54°41'21.84"N","25°16'34.94"E") edit
- Mojitos - Cuban Cocktail Bar, Totorių St 11 (Old Town, close to Gedimino Ave), ☎ Mobile +370 601 12555 ([email protected]), . M-Th 11:00-03:00, F-Sa 18:00-06:00, Su 18:00-03:00. Lunch, dinner, drinks. Cuban cuisine. Cuban rum cocktails, several types of Mojito cocktail, also a genuine Cuban mojito. Free entrance. Age limit since 18:00 - from 23 yo. edit
- Nińo ((Nińo Tapas Bar & Lounge)), Šv. Ignoto St 16 (Old Town), ☎ Reservation +370 5 261-1137 ([email protected]), . T-W 21:00-02:00, Th-F 09:00-04:00, Sa 10:00-04:00, Su 10:00-02:00. The bar downstairs in 1536 cellar. Tapas, beer, wine and cocktails. edit
- Savas kampas ((Homey Corner)), Vokiečių St 4 ((Old Town)), ☎ +370 5 212-3203 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-2162), . M-W 11:00-24:00, Thu 11:00-01:00, F 11:00-03:00, Sa 11:00-02:00, Su 11:00-23:00. Cozy, friendly and always welcome place. In the summer,there is also a terrace to enjoy warm evenings. edit
- Shimai ((Sushi And Wine)), Pylimo St 8/Palangos St 2 (On the NW edge of Old Town, close to Zappa Statue), ☎ Orders +370 677 75074 ([email protected]), . M-Th 11:00-22:00, F 11:00-23:00, Sa 12:00-23:00. Sushi Bar. Has outdoor terrace in summer. Day lunch €4-5, average €10, delivery to home/office if order above €20. edit
- Universiteto Pub, Domininkonų St 9 (Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 678 83363 ([email protected]), . M-W 22:00-04:00, Thu 22:00-05:00, F-Sa 22:00-06:00, Su 22:00-04:00. Pub, Bar. Nice decorations, good food. edit
street in the Old Town
In both Old Town and the Centre there are plenty of cafés. You simply can walk and choose the one you like or ignore if not in mood, not much effort is needed. There are chains of coffee shops and you can easily find them without a guidance.
- Coffee-Inn, (15 points in Vilnius, among them some 6 on the main streets of the Old Town, some another 6 in Gediminas Ave, the Centre), . edit
- AJ Chocolate (AJ Šokoladas), . edit
Most of proper cafés are designed like little fancy restaurants that operate like budget eateries in daytime and turn to something like a cross between bistrò and restaurant in the evening. Vilnius stretches further beyond the Old Town and the Centre, and there is also no shortage of cafés. If you need to find some cosy or just different place to rest or eat, the following list may be useful.
- Buga, Asanavičiūtė St 17 (Karoliniškės district, not far from TV tower), ☎ +370 5 240-2400 ([email protected]), . M-Th 08:00-23:00, F 08:00-01:00, Sa 09:00-01:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Does not use semi-finished products. Hot chicken with chanterelles, hand-made dumplings, fresh kybyns, pizzas, carp steak "Ežys" ("Hedgehog"). Live music every Friday and sometimes on Saturday. Breakfast (until 10:30) up to €3. edit
- Cat Café (Kačių kavinė), J. Jasinskis St 1/Dainava St 8 (Centre, SW of Lukiškės Square, close to the bus stop; entrance from Kudirkos St), ☎ +370 671 34343 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 12:00-22:00, Su 12:00-19:00. Respect the rules and cats, or in other words - not for those who want to make fun of cats. Minimum order per person ~€3. Snacks, salads, hot dishes ~€2-4 each, cat feeding ~€1.50. edit
- Chaika, Totorių St 7 (Centre, almost the Old Town), ☎ Mobile +370 648 74702 ([email protected]), . M-F 10:00-21:00, Sa 12:00-19:00. Universally cozy café; the interior is contemporary but designed in 70s style, it is Vilnius’s seventies. Many authentic items from soviet times cause cheerful memories of childhood for the local visitors. Café’s Russian name, spelt in English manner, in this case is a pun with several layers of meaning visible only for locals – they would tell you a lot. Variety of tea and coffee; of course Soviet times tea served in Soviet times style is available. Has 2 halls, capacity up to 16 people. edit
- Heavenly Almonds (Dangiški migdolai), Gynėjų St 4 (Centre, near the Parliament), ☎ Orders +370 693 31954 ([email protected]), . M-F 09:00-19:00, on weekends only by prior arrangement. Cafe-bakery. All meals, mayonnaise or tomato sauce, cakes and sweets are made at the spot. Accept orders: cakes, snacks, fancy lunch, champagne ice cream and other sweets and delicacies. Day lunch: €4-8, Day Steak €6. Delicacy €1-2/portion. Cash only. edit
- Fabai, Ateities St 21A (Fabijoniškės sleeping district (north of centre), by the main street), ☎ +370 5 273-6464 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 273-6464), . M-Th 11:00-23:00, F 11:00-24:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Su 12:00-23:00. Styled like a countryside tavern, has 5 halls: roaster, ballroom, bar, and 2 billiard halls. European and Caucasus cuisine. Day lunch (11:00-14:00) €3-5. edit
- Little Bakery Of The Fairies (Fėjų kepyklėlė), J. Basanavičius St 37 (New Town, on a hill, at the corner with Švitrigaila St), ☎ Mobile +370 685 25157 ([email protected]), . M-Th 07:30-19:00, F 07:30-18:00. Puff pastries, yeast dough buns, snacks, pizza, several kinds of kybyns, cookies, hot and cold drinks, ice cream, milk cocktails. Traditional menu of Lithuanian fairies. Cappuccino is almost the best in town. Fair price. edit
- Café Ibrahim Passage (Ibrahim), Kalvarijų St 24A (Šnipiškės district close to the centre: between the city business centre and Kalvarijos Market, within premises of a small specialized shopping centre Ibrahim), ☎ +370 5 273-1743, mobile +370 600 76890 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 273-1740), . M-F 08:00-18:00; on weekends only upon request. Offer some authentic Turkish drinks: Ayran, Sahleb, Salgam Suyu, Cola turka, Turkish tea. Organize parties (up to 60 persons), buffet (up to 80 persons). Terrace, capacity up to 24 people. Day lunch around 10 LTL; dishes around 5-10 LTL; festive parties (drinks not included) from 50 LTL. edit
- Hazel Kidneywort (Lazdynų žibutė), Šiltnamių St 38A (Lower part of ''Lazdynai'' district (Lithuanian for “district of Hazels” where the kidneywort is blooming every spring, hence the name), south of Oslo street, east of Emergency Hospital), ☎ +370 5 244-2562 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 244-8832). M-Su 10:00-22:00. Operates since 1969, never was closed. Has 3 halls. TV screen, fireplace, sauna. Day lunch 10:00-16:00. Suitable for seminars, conferences. Most popular speciality - Roast Chicken “Žibutė” (“Kidneywort”), several Lithuanian “vintage” dishes, such like rolls with mushroom sauce, herring tower “Metropolis”, and “Karališkasis tortas” (“Royal Cake”) for special occasions. Average price 15-20 LTL. edit
- Little Ragnit (RagnitMažoji Ragainė), Įsruties St 22 (Pilaitė district: south of Pilatė Ave, between Pilaitė Ave and Vydūnas St.), ☎ Orders +370 5 270-7265 ([email protected]), . M-Su: summer season 11:00-23:00, winter season 09:00-21:00. Café-bar, a division of culinary-confectionery company. Has a confectionery shop next door, also has another shop at Žukausko St 26 in Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis), Žirmūnai district. Apart from a large variety of cakes and pastries offers ~100 kinds of salads, homemade dumplings with various fillings, cold snacks and hot meals. Average price ~10 LTL; family event ~20 LTL, banquet ~45 LTL per person. edit
- Clay pitcher (Molinis ąsotis), Naugarduko St 32 (New Town, on a hill, between Švitrigaila and Algirdas streets), ☎ +370 687 37133 (fax: +370 5 213-2389). M-Sa 11:00-23:00. Café-bar. Has a large TV screen and a 2,000 clay pitchers collection. Day lunch (11:00-16:00) ~€3. (54.674774,25.27035) edit
- At Metas (Pas Metą), Antakalnio St 86 (Antakalnis district, in the middle between the bus stops “Klinikos” and “Tverečiaus”, by the main street), ☎ +370 5 234-1791 (fax: +370 5 244-8832). M-Su 11:00-23:00. Lithuanian cuisine; fresh juice, Lithuanian beer, also a Belgian beer Grimbergen; take-away food. Has a separate hall (up to 24 people) for the business and family events. Second course 10-15 LTL; day lunch ~7 LTL (11:00-16:00), business lunch ~20 LTL. edit
View to the White Bridge, the café commonly known as a White Bridge Café can be seen in the middle.
- Castle’s Little Bakery (Pilies kepyklėlė), Pilies St 19 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 260-8992 ([email protected]), . M-Su 09:00-23:00. Old time’s Ice Cream House; converted to a café-bakery, as the new owners had idea to bake the buns and serve them with a milk. During the restoration of the interior were uncovered excellent arches, this alone made the café very popular among locals. Assortment soon has become very rich: different types of cakes, cookies, sweets, curd desserts. The most popular are “Trapusis vyšnių pyragas” (Brittle Cherry Cake) and a “Karališkasis tortas” (Royal Cake), coffee of course. Also offer steaks, crepes, soups, salads. Has an outdoor tarrace in summer. Average price ~16 LTL. edit
- Peony (Pinavija), Vilnius St 21 (Old Town), ☎ +370 676 44422 ([email protected]), . Workdays 09:30-20:30, weekends and holidays 10:00-19:30. Café-bakery. Very popular place, especially during lunch time, so if you need everything quickly, think twice. A large selection of all kinds of sweets, cakes, traditional pies, kybyns, bouillon and lithuanian specialties. (54.685786,25.279301) edit
- By Neris River (Prie Neries), Žvejų St 2 (Centre, northern bank of Neris river between the Green bridge and Mindaugas bridge), ☎ +370 5 272-2102, mobile +370 654 74985 ([email protected]). M-F 09:00-16:00; on weekends only upon request. Relatively remote location, easily accessible, good view through the large windows. Almost perfect place for business lunch, banquet or a private party for up to 80 people. Has 2 halls (spacious ballroom), sauna, outdoor café. Day lunch around €3. edit
- Sakwa, M. K. Paco St 1/2 (Antakalnis district, near St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, next to the parking lot by the roundabout), ☎ +370 5 215-4562, mobile +370 687 51101 ([email protected]), . M-Su 10:00-23:00. Café in the new two-storey building with an attic, retro styled like a suburban house. Lithuanian, Polish and European cuisine. Day lunch 11:00-15:00 ~€4-10; bilingual menu with the prices can be downloaded (PDF). edit
- Vegafé, Totorių St 3 (Centre, close to Gediminas Ave), ☎ Info and reservation: at Totorių +370 659 77411; at Augustijonų +370 659 77072 ([email protected]), . At Totorių: M-F 11:00-22:00, Sa-Su 12:00-22:00; at Augustijonų: M-Sa 11:00-21:30, closed on Su. Vegetarian meals from natural products, adhered principles of ayurvedic food production. Represent lacto-vegetarian nutrition system. No microwave. Soup 4-10 LTL, salad and cold snacks 9-17 LTL, hot meals 5-25 LTL, fresh juice 200/300 ml 7-15/9-20 LTL, tea, cacao 4-10 LTL, fancy sweets 7-14 LTL. edit
- Vis-a-Vis, Fabijoniškių St 96 (Fabijoniškės residential district, south of Impuls Gym), ☎ Reservation +370 686 72020 ([email protected]), . Has 3 halls and bar. Business lunch: starter €1.5-2, soup €1-2, main course €4.5-5.5; banquet menu: steak €8-15, hot snacks €4, fancy cold snacks €20-30, dessert €2-15. edit
- White Bridge Café (Baltojo tilto kavinė), Upės St 6 (City business centre near Hotel Lietuva - a small building under the White Bridge). A cozy café-bar that often change its name, style and owners but always is commonly known by the White Bridge name. Very convenient location in the centre, has an outdoor seating during warm season. Surrounding meadows are used for hot-air balloon take off if the wind is suitable. edit
- Green Bamboo ('''Žaliasis bambukas'''), Latvių St 7A (Žvėrynas district), ☎ +370 5 260-8080, mobile +370 679 94696 ([email protected]), . M-F 11:00-15:00, closed on weekends. Seminars and workshops on 2nd half of day (usually since 18:00) and weekends, advance registration via mail or phone is required, the price varies. Vegetarian and vegan café. Menu: five grain soup, kus-kus with vegetables and seeds, baked pumpkin, apple chutney, cake, thyme tea. Take away food: samosas with vegetable, apple, cottage cheese or caramel fillings; homemade unleavened bread, non-alcoholic wine, melted butter ghee. Day lunch 17 LTL, green cocktail 8 LTL. edit
- Domus Maria, Aušros vartų St.12 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-4880 (toll free: Skype - domus.maria, [email protected], fax: +370 5 264-4878), . Unique and popular guesthouse within a monastery. Dorm bed: 75LTL; single room: 197LTL; double: 228LTL; tripple 335LTL. edit
- Downtown Forest Hostel & Camping, Paupio St 31a (Paupys district of the Old Town), ☎ +370 5 264-3113 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 264-3112), . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 09:00-11:00. Set in a green area of Vilnia river valley (street name Paupio means "along the river"), still within the Old Town district limits, hence the hostel name. Fresh tea and coffee for free every morning. Self-service fridge 24/7. A camp site area in the courtyard, surrounded with greenery (15 tent spots). Bed in 6-bed mixed dormitory room €11, single room with shared bathroom €16, double with private bathroom €32, family room €40-60. (54.6779,25.302226) edit
- Filaretai Hostel, Filaretų St 17 (Užupis District. From train station take a bus 34 to Filaretai), ☎ Mobile +370 521 54627, . Chilled out place. Prices for 1 person in single room 70LTL, other prices season-dependant, up to 10% discount for HI members. edit
- HostelGate, Two places: Aušros Vartų 17-1 and Šv. Mikalojaus St 3, ☎ +370 638 32818 ([email protected]), . Small hostel (formerly Vilnius Backpackers). Free wi-fi and internet, free tea and coffee, free parking. Dorm beds: 39-45 LTL; Double rooms: 110-115 LTL; Triple room: 150LTL; Quad room: 188LTL. edit
- Hostel Vilnius (Former A Hostel), Two places across the same street: Sodų St 8 and Sodų St 17, ☎ +370 5 215-0270, mobile +370 699 09903 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Superb location near the bus station, several metres to the Old Town boundary which is marked by Pylimo Street. Less than 1 bus stop ride from the train/bus stations, 5-10 min ride by trolley to the centre. 31-70LTL. edit
- Jimmy Jumps House, Savičius St 12 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 231-3847 ([email protected]), . No credit cards. Dorm bed: 37LTL. edit
- JNN Guesthouse, Konstitucijos Ave 25 (Centre, northern bank of Neris river), ☎ +370 5 272-2270 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 272-5651). checkin: from 12:00 to 24:00. Normal place for it is value. Location depends: away from downtown noise and still within walking distance from it. Wi-Fi, pets allowed, no smoking, gay friendly. Price from 38 LTL. edit
- Litinterp Guesthouse Vilnius, Bernardinu str.7, ☎ 8-5 2123850, . Located inside a historic building on one of Old Town’s prettiest streets. Facilities are basic but more than ample, with options for everybody from single guests to families. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities, plus all rooms have access to small kitchens. Single: 70-100 LTL; Double: 120-160 LTL. Breakfast included. edit
- Old Town Hostel, Aušros Vartų St 20-10 (Half a block from gates of old town, 5 minutes walk from train/bus stations.), ☎ +370 656 56571 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 268-5967), . Helpful staff and good common space and kitchen with computers and wi-fi. Dorm bed: 35 LTL. edit
- Pogo Hostel, B. Radvilaitė St 3-1 (In front of Cathedral Sq), ☎ +370 684 67060 ([email protected]). checkin: from 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Unique for it's interior and cozyness. You will find foosball table, PS2 console and many other activities. Included in price: linen, towel, free Wi-Fi, coffee and tea, kitchen services, lockers, free maps. Prices slightly depend on season. A bed in six-bed dorm room: €10-12; double: €30-35. edit
- Vilnius Guesthouse, S. Stanevičiaus St 79 (Fabijoniškės residential district), ☎ +370 612 93597 ([email protected]), . Vilnius Guest House is located within the city, yet in a quiet area surrounded by a small forest, it offers accommodation with a sauna and billiards. Secure Private Car Parking is available. The rooms at Vilnius are spacious and individually decorated in various colours. Each comes with a TV with cable channels, a wardrobe and a bathroom fitted with a shower. Free Wi-Fi is also provided. Breakfast included. There's a choice of en-suite and shared bathroom facilities Single: €35.00; Double: €45.00;. edit
- Air Inn Vilnius, Rodūnios Rd 8 (50m from the airport passenger terminal), ☎ Reception +370 698 13909 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 213-6463). 115 modern spacious rooms, free PC in lobby area , restaurant, morning wake-up service, convenient location. Single room €52, double €65, tripple €82, business class €85, family room €87. edit
- Ambassador Hotel, Gedimino avenue 12, ☎ +370 5 261-5450 ([email protected]), . Single: €69; Double: €81; Triple: €98. edit
- Apia Hotel, Šv. Ignoto St 12 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-3426 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-3618, skype: Apiahotel), . 12-room 3-star hotel. Satelite TV, free Wi-Fi and the land phone. Prices depend on season, breakfast included. Standard €60-80, deluxe €80-100. Extra bed €29. edit
- Comfort Vilnius Hotel (Comfort), Gėlių St 5 (New Town district, close to both bus station and the Old Town), ☎ +370 5 233-8833 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 264-8832). 57 room hotel. Also has 2 well equipped conference halls. Standard single: €86, standard double: €96, deluxe €125. (54.674587,25.283619) edit
- Ecotel Vilnius (Ecotel), Slucko St 8 (northern edge of the historic locality Piromontas, Šnipiškės district, near the City Business Centre), ☎ +370 686 02779 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 210-2707), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. 166 room hotel that occupies a former shoe factory building. Located in the area which was an edge of suburban residential colony built at the turn of the 20th century, now declared a local urban monument. Hotel itself and a few next-door buildings fill the space caused by the bombing during WWII. 10min walk to everything. Has a conference hall and 3 meeting rooms that can receive up to 100 guests at one time. Buffet breakfast 07:00-10:00, lobby bar 10:00-22:00. Single: €58; double: €66; triple: €81. Additional bed in the room €13. (54.695517,25.285196) edit
- Embassy Hotel Balatonas (Balatono viešbutis), Latvių St 38 (Žvėrynas district), ☎ +370 5 272-2250 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 272-2134), . 28-room Hungarian-owned hotel near the embassies. Popular among eastern European businessmen. All rooms are equipped with a minibar, cable TV, free high-speed internet access, air conditioning and optional individual safe-boxes. Single: €50; double: €60. edit
- Hotel Vilnius Europolis (Europolis), Švitrigailos St 11D (New Town district, between the air port and the Centre), ☎ Reception +370 689 87777 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 215-0411), . 26-room hotel in Vilnius offering free parking, wireless internet (all rooms), cafe and outdoor summer terrace. Located in a renovated business block, which originally was constructed in 1936 as a largest radio engineering plant “Elektrit”. Out of curiosity: during soviet times it was converted into a well known top-sectret military enterprise called “PO Box 555” (or “Three Fives” for short) which manufactured various devices used in radio electronics. Single from €29; double from €35; triple from €47; quad €65. (54.675629,25.267684) edit
- Mano Liza (AAA Guest House Mano Liza), Ligoninės St 5, ☎ +370 5 212-2225 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2608), . 8-room family-run guesthouse in a restored 19th century building. The name is styled like a pun in Lithuanian. Single €51, Double €64, Suite €81, 2 bedroom suite €122. Guarded parking €15 per night. edit
- Ratonda Centrum Hotels, Gedimino Ave 52/1, ☎ +370 5 212 0670 ([email protected]). 48-room hotel. Sauna and fitness center. Popular among politicians for its location near parliament. From €59. edit
- Hotel Tilto, Tilto St 8 (Centre), ☎ +370 5 210-0021 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 210-0020), . Irish-owned hotel in the centre. The 3-storey hotel features 35 fully equipped rooms, a cosy restaurant, and a leisure centre. In 2009 won the most hospitable hotel in Vilnius award. (54.68729,25.284206) edit
- Mabre Residence Hotel, Maironio St 13 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 212-2087 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2240), . This 40 room hotel occupies a building that in 1506 was the residence of the local Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church. Later the building was used for various purposes, rebuilt several times and left abandoned, while and eventually properly restored in 1995. High walls give it an exclusive feel. Sauna, fitness center, and pool. Wi-fi in rooms. The Steakhouse Hazienda is located in the hotel. €105-150. (54.681507,25.292006) edit
- Neringa, Gedimino Ave 23 (Centre), ☎ Reception +370 5 212-2288 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2299). 60-room hotel. Foreign magazines, beautiful flowers, relaxation area with sauna (€10) and pool, fitness center, wi-fi, bar. Breakfast included. Famous cult restaurant Neringa in the same building has a separate entrance from the street and the outdoor terrace in summer season. edit
- Novotel Vilnius Centre, Gedimino Ave 16 (Centre), ☎ +370 5 266-6200 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 266-6201), . Very popular 159 room hotel opened in 2003. Tall building located near old town. edit
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lietuva (Lietuva), Konstitucijos Ave 20 (Business centre near the White Bridge), ☎ Reservations +370 5 272-6200 (toll free: +370 800 73533, [email protected], fax: reservations +370 5 272-6210), . 291-room hotel. High-rise building, designed in Functionalism style in 1963, reconstructed in 2003. Queen Elizabeth II chose to stay at this hotel during her visit. Popular for conferences. The even-numbered rooms offer great views of old town, also from top-floor 'Skybar'. From €71. edit
- Ramada Vilnius, Subačiaus St 2, ☎ +370 5 2553 355 ([email protected]), . 55-room hotel. Wi-fi in all rooms and areas, including outdoor bar. From €90 in low season, €110 in high season. edit
- Shakespeare Boutique Hotel, Bernardinų St 8/8 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 266-5885 ([email protected]), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. 31-room boutique English country-style hotel in the midle on the old town. Rooms are named after famous writers and books of that writer are inside each room. Nice views of nearby landmarks. Free Wi-fi and parking. Very good 'a la carte' menu breakfast included. Single: from €85; Double: from €129. edit
- Šarūnas Hotel (Šarūno viešbutis), Raitininkų St 4 (20 minute walk from the old town), ☎ +370 5 2724888 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 272-4355; Skype: HotelSarunas), . checkin: 14:00. 54-room hotel owned by and named after a Vilnius basketball star. Bar "Stars & Legends", VIP sauna & banqueting hall, fitness centre, and laundry services. edit
The Vilnius (both town and the district) phone code is 5 and the seven-digit local subscriber number.
There are abundant free Wi-Fi hotspots all over the city, including Gediminas Ave (Gedimino prospektas), Vokiečių St (Vokiečių gatvė), Pilies St (Pilies gatvė), Cathedral Square and Town Hall Square. Free Wi-Fi is also available in some restaurants.
Internet cafes have essentially disappeared in Vilnius. Some that are still left might be closed down in the near future. The following offer access to a computer:
- Despina (within premises of Mokymo centras - Teaching Centre), Kareivių St 2 (Žirmūnai district, NE corner at the Kalvarijų/Kareivių crossing; 1st floor), ☎ +370 5 266-4520 ([email protected]), . M-F 08:30-16:00 (lunch break 12:30-13:30). Cosy place to check your emails, chat, talk via Skype, learn and work. ~€1/h (8:30-12:30) and ~€1.5/h (13:30-16:00). edit
- Senoji raštinė (Old Office), Pylimo St 54 (Close to the bus/railway stations at the SW edge of the Old Town, near ''Rūdninkai'' bus stop), ☎ Mobile +370 683 77680 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 269-1745), . M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-15:00. Shop of stationery and office products and services. Offers internet access as part of office services: to receive and send e-mail, print, burn a CD or DVD. Web surfing ~€1/h. edit
- Vilnius Central Post Office (Vilniaus centrinis paštas), Gediminas Ave 7 (Centre), ☎ +370 700 55400 ([email protected]), . M-F 07:30-19:00, Sa 09:00-16:00. All postal services, money orders, Western Union money transfers. edit
- In addition, every district has two or three local post offices ("Pašto poskyris" - "Post subdivision") which provides delivery service according to street address in the assigned area; also provides all regular postal services.
- The number of post boxes has been reduced since 2011, now there are about 150 post boxes evenly spread throughout the city.
Business centre and a White Bridge at night
Vilnius is a relatively safe city; however, crimes do occur. Use typical common sense.
Try and walk with a confidence and never look lost.
The area around the central train station is particularly dodgy and frequented by prostitutes and their clients. Being drunk and acting obviously foreign in the middle of the night is a bad idea. If you have traveled from out of town to visit a nightclub or other venue, take taxis to and from your venue, and on return to the railway station remain in the ticket hall, which is patrolled by security guards.
It is recommended not to enter South Vilnius suburbs, including Naujininkai and Kirtimai, especially at night, as well as some parts of Šnipiškės which are located any deeper than its business district.
Taxis in tourist areas can overcharge 3 times the normal rate.
Similarly to the rest of Europe, the emergency number is 112, it would work for free even when roaming (even in a phone without a sim!)
The coin-operated baggage lockers in the cellar of the railway station are a secure place to store bags and other items for 3 LTL per day. Ensure that nobody is around when you are getting the receipt, because there are thieves who pretend to be station staff.
- Eye Surgery Clinic (Ąkiu Chirurgijos Centras), Savičiaus g. 3A (Centre, to the right from Didžioji g.), ☎ Reception +370 5 2644444 ([email protected]), . I-VII 9:00-18:00. edit Contact form Оphthalmology service provides highly specialized consultations in the diagnosis, one of the most popular of myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism correction methods.
- Baltic-American Clinic (Baltijos-Amerikos klinika), Nemenčinė Hwy 54a (Antakalnis elderate, NE edge of the city, by the road), ☎ +370 5 234-2020, mobile +370 698 52655 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 276-7942), . 08:00-20:00, urgent cases 24 hr. English-speaking. edit
- Centre For Communicable Diseases And AIDS (Užkrečiamųjų ligų ir AIDS centras), Nugalėtojų St 14D (NE of city, Nemečinė Hwy, turn to the right in front of Maxima grocery store, go forwards (Pasakų St) for 250 m), ☎ +370 5 230-0125 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 276-7968), . M-F 08:00-17:00, lunch break 12:00-12:30. Divisions: Epidemiological Surveillance, Immunoprophylaxis, HIV/AIDS/STI Hepatitis Epidemiological Surveillance, Information Technologies, Education And Communication. edit
- Clinic Northway (Northway medicinos centras), S. Žukausko St 19 (Žirmūnai elderate, Northern Town (Šiaurės miestelis) subdistrict, 5km from city centre), ☎ +370 5 264-4466, . Medical Centre: M-F 07:30-20:30, Sa 10:00-15:00; Health and Rehabilitation Centre: M-F 08:00-20:30, Sa 10:00-18:00; Laboratory: M-F 07:30-19:30, Sa 10:00-14:30. edit Registration form on their website.
- Emergency Hospital (Respublikinė Vilniaus universitetinė ligoninė), Šiltnamių St 29 (lower part of Lazdynai district), ☎ +370 5 216-9069 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 216-8984), . Republican Vilnius University Hospital is a place where people are usually transported after severe accidents, traumas, injuries, intoxications, various cerebrovascular disorders. Has intensive care and planned help sections; also a pharmacy, ATM and cafe. Emergency assistance is provided free of charge: for temporary resident in the Republic of Lithuania and legally employed foreigners; EU/EEA-country nationals staying temporarily in Lithuania, on the evidence of insurance data - valid E-card or one of the E-form (E 111, E 106, E 121) certificate or other valid health insurance; non-EU/EEC-country citizens temporarily staying in Lithuania on the evidence of a valid health insurance. If doctor identifies that the patient's state doesn't meet the criteria for the emergency, health care services are paid. (54.668652,25.207677) edit
- Medical Diagnostic and Treatment Centre (Medicinos diagnostikos ir gydymo centras), V. Grybo St 32a (Antakalnis district, 4km from the centre), ☎ +370 5 233-3000, mobile +370 698 00000 ([email protected]), . M-F 07:00–20:00, Sa 08:00-15:00. edit Pre-registration form on their website; it will be approved after they call you back within 1-2 h.
- Medicina Generalis (Med General Private Clinic), Gedimino Ave 1A-19 (Centre; 2nd floor), ☎ +370 5 261-3534 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 261-3537), . By appointment M-F 09:00-17:00. English-speaking. Adult and Children's Health Care. edit
- Santariškių klinikos (Santarishkes Clinic), Santariškių St 2 (Santariškės district, northern edge of the city), ☎ +370 5 236-5000 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 236-5111), . Hospital complex encompassing the provision of medical care in heart and vascular medicine, transplantology, oncohematology, oncology and surgical oncology, radiology and nuclear medicine, children’s diseases and rehabilitation. (54.752087,25.27846) edit Has an affiliate Children‘s Hospital (Vaikų ligoninė) within complex of Santarishkes Clinic, address Santariškių St 7, phone: +370 5 272-0606 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 272-0283).
- Vilnius Laser Dermatology Center (Vilniaus lazerinės dermatologijos centras), Trinapolio st. 9D, Vilnius, ☎ Registration +370 5 205 26 06 ([email protected]), . M-F 09:00-20:00, S 10:00-14:00. Provides medical help for people with skin diseases, acne and tumors. edit
- Vilnius Skin and Venereal Diseases Centre (Vilniaus odos ir veneros ligų centras), Kauno St 37 (New Town district), ☎ Reception 8 5 233-2960 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 233-2966), . Workdays 07:00-20:00. Advance booking is required. Non-residents admitted. edit
- Homo Sanus (Dermatovenereology, sexology and urology clinic), Didžioji street 15-3, Vilnius, ☎ Registration +370 699 99575 ([email protected]), . M-F 08:00-19:00. Private diagnostics and treatment of dermatologic, sexologic and urologic diseases edit
- Pilėnė, Papilėnų st 2 (Pilaitė district), ☎ Registration +370 61616 222, . M-F 08:00-20:00. All regular dental services (both adult and children), oral hygiene (cleaning) and cosmetics (whitening), surgery, implantation, X-rays. edit
- Denticija, Two places: Vinco Grybo St 32/Tramvajų St 10 (Antakalnis district) and Vilnius St 25 (Old Town), ☎ Antakalnis registration +370 698 52164, Old Town registration +370 610 07778, . M-F 08:00-20:00. Best dental services edit
- SkraiDenta, Smolensko St 6 (New town near Hyper Rimi), ☎ +370 611 51222 ([email protected]), . M-F 08:00-20:00. All regular dental services (both adult and children), consultations, oral hygiene (cleaning) and cosmetics (whitening), surgery, implantation, X-rays. Price list on “Kainos” section: regular root canal treatment ~€70, complicated root canal treatment ~€85, surgery part of implantation ~€750, orthodontic implant ~€115, analgesia from ~€6. edit
- V. Pūro Odontologijos klinika, Universiteto St 2 / Dominikonų St 18 (Centre, on the corner near University), ☎ +370 5 231-2952 ([email protected]), . English-speaking. edit Contact form on their website. Dental diagnostic and treatment services (including surgical treatment and implantation) for children and adult.
- Papadent, V.Gerulaicio st 1-26, ☎ Registration +370 69999911 ([email protected]), . M-F 08:00-20:00. Specializing in dental implants, prostodontics, cosmetic dentistry, cone beam tomography. edit
- Belarus (Беларусь), Mindaugo St 13 (New Town district), ☎ Reception +370 5 266-2200 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 266-2212). M-F 08:30-12:00, 13:00-17:30.
- Canada Jogailos St 4, 7th floor (Business Centre 2000 in the city Centre), ☎ +370 5 249-0950 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 249-7865).
- China (Zhōngguó), Algirdo St 36 (New Town district), ☎ +370 5 216-2862 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 216-2682). M-F 09:00-12:00,14:00-17:00.
- Denmark T. Kosciuškos St 36 (Next to the Olandų rounabout by Žirmūnai bridge), ☎ +370 5 264-8760 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-2300). M-F: 09:00-17:00.
- Finland (Suomi), K. Kalinausko St 24, 2nd floor (New Town district, close to Tauras Hill), ☎ +370 5 266-8010 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 212-2441). M-F 08:30-16:30.
- Germany (Deutschland), Z. Sierakausko St 24 / V. Kudirkos St 8 (New Town district, on a corner close to Tauras Hill), ☎ +370 5 210-6400 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 210-6446). M-Th 08:00-16:30, F 08:00-15:00.
- Greece (Elláda), Didžioji St 33 / Rūdninkų St 2 (Old Town district), ☎ +370 5 261-0526, Emergencies:+370 6 138-4438 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 261-0536). M-F 09:00-16:00. edit
- Ireland (Éire), Gedimino Ave 1 (Very centre), ☎ +370 5 262-9460 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 262-9462). M-F 10:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00.
- Japan (日本), M. K. Čiurlionio St 82B (New Town district, east of Park Vingis), ☎ +370 5 2310462 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-0461). M-F 09:00-12:30 13:15-17:30.
- Spain (España), Gedimino Ave 35/4A (Centre), ☎ +370 5 231-3961 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 231-3962). M-F: 9:30-15:30. Emergency +370 620 21232.
- United Kingdom Antakalnio St 2 (Next to the Olandų roundabout, in front of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church), ☎ +370 5 246-2900 ([email protected], fax: +370 5 246-2901).
- Kaunas - the second largest city, which served as the national capital in the 1920s and 1930s. Fastest way to get there is by train - 12 departures a day, around 1,5 hour and costs about 5 €.
- Molėtai Lakeland — abundance of homesteads and mini-resorts scattered among more than 200 lakes of various size. Paradise for vacationists.
- Purnuškės - 25 km to the North of Vilnius, is one of the centres of Europe, this one marked by The National Institute of Geography of France in 1989. (It has now somehow moved a little closer.)
- Trakai - A very worthwhile day or half-day trip, home to five peaceful lakes and two castles. Buses leave often from the central bus station, cost about 2 euros and take about 40 minutes. Trains depart five times a day, tickets can be bought online at https://traukiniobilietas.lt/portal/en.
- Telšiai - capital city of region Samogitia. Get there by bus or train.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!