Vilanculos (Vilankulo)  is the Mozambican capital of water sports. It's a popular beach resort area with accommodation from economy to 5 star barefoot luxury. The gateway to the Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique's only underwater national park. The dry season is from March to November with temperatures around 15 to 23 degrees. Bring a sweater for the evenings, The "rainy season" can be hot with temperatures ranging between 23 and 34 degrees.
Vilanculos, has many options options with excellent coach service from Maputo or Beira and small 15 seater vans from Inhambane.
Vilanculos International Airport is serviced by LAM and by Federal Air (Pelican Air) ,from all major airports (stopover in Johannesburg or Maputo may be necessary. Charter flights are offered ay competitive prices from South Africa and Zimbabwe.
Flying from [Inhambane] is possible and can cost around $100 with just a few flights per week.
By private car
From South Africa a good asphalt road 730Kms north of Maputo Follow the EN4 to the outskirts of Maputo then take the EN1 to Xai Xai, always go straight on, once you pass Xai Xai the highway signs will direct you to Vilanculos turn-off which is 18kms from Vilanculos town (The total distance from Johannesburg to Vilanculos is Approximately 1,378kms
From Zimbabwe a good asphalt road from Forbes Border Post Mutari approximately 584kms to Vilanculos. Follow the EN6 on the Beira road, turn right (south) on the EN1 for 384kms to the turn-off to Vilanculos.
From Tofo you can arrange a private car at your accommodation in Tofo. The cost is approximately 3,000 MT per person or 7,000 MT for a car of just two people. The cars are often small hatches so you will struggle with a full car with lots of luggage.
The town is compact and can be walkable depending on where you are going. The restaurants and accommodation are spread along the beach from North to South and you can catch a Tuk Tuk if travelling from the furthest locations.
South Beach Vilankulo
The Bazaruto Archipelago comprises of five islands which are within the Bazaruto Archipelago. From north to south, these islands are: Bazaruto, Santa Carolina Known as Paradise Island, Benguerra, Margaruque and Bangue. There are a number of dive sites around the islands, generally on the seaward side. Other dive sites are located on the seaward side of San Sebastian (south of the islands on the mainland peninsular ), A point jutting out in line with the islands. From San Sebastian, the mainland curves south west to form a large bay which is protected from rough seas by the point and the islands. Travelling northwards up the bay, Archipelago Resort looks out to the south of Margaruque Island.
- Mozambique Horse Safari, ☎ +258 842512910 ([email protected]), . Pat & Mandy specialize in custom-made horse safaris and day rides along the Vilanculos coast and on Benguerra Island in Mozambique. Enjoy long stretches of untouched white sand beaches and magnificent views overlooking the islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago. The area is suitable for riders of all levels of ability. edit
- Horse Volunteer, ☎ +258 842512910 ([email protected]), . Mozambique Horse Safari offers you a Volunteer Programme which is aimed at gap year students and adult volunteers who are looking to develop their riding skills, discover the culture of Mozambique and make a difference in Africa helping horses. In addition to working with horses you will be able to volunteer out at the local orphanages in Vilankulo where you will experience poverty and the problems that are faced by the people of Mozambique. edit
One of the quickest and most spectacular means to get to the beautiful islands around Vilanculos is to charter a flight with Archipelago Charters. Their helicopters are also used by the luxurious lodges on the archipelago to transfer their guests to and from Vilanculo Airport. Prices are reasonable and you get the best view of this stunning piece of the world!
Experience the wonder of a traditional sailing dhow gliding through the Bazaruto Archipelago. The islands of Benguerra, Bazaruto, Magaruque and Santa Carolina are complete with azure waters, sandy beaches, palm trees and pristine coral reefs.
- Sailaway Dhow Safaris, ☎ +258 823876350 ([email protected]), . Fully catered sailing safaris in traditional dhows, exploring the islands of the Bazaruto archipelago. Day trips and overnight journeys, staying in a beach camp. Day safari $70, overnight safari $230. edit
- Dolphin Dhow Safaris, ☎ +258 824624700 ([email protected]), . Day trips and overnight safaris to the Bazaruto Archipelago Islands,Professional Cook - meals and drinks. Accommodation,Bookings Boat Hire (Dhow or Speed Boat, Snorkelling & Fishing, Sunset Cruise. Offices on beachfront. Day safari $65, Overnight safari $100. edit
Discover the ultimate escape by exploring the Archipelago on board a fully crewed yacht.
The area surrounding is ranked as the best Black Marlin destination in the Eastern Indian Ocean. The season runs from early October through to end of January each year. The Marlin come close in to the shallow waters around the Islands and can often be found feeding around the shoals of various species of tuna that frequent our waters during this time of the year.
The area is a top kitesurfing location with consistent winds and great terrain. There are a number of kitesurfing schools which you will find along the beach. There is one adjoined to Odyssea Dive as well as another further down the beach.
Kitesurfing schools include:
- Kitesurfing Centre, ☎ +258 844 492 263, . Located in a shack on the beach near Casa Cabana at the northern end of town. They do lessons as well as rent out a range of kites, boards and harnesses. Great place to rent a kite if you didnt bring the right size. edit
The Bazaruto Archipelago is nearby and offers some excellent scuba diving on day trips from Vilanculos. 2-tank dives are the norm, and snorkelers are also welcome. The archipelago's coral reefs and clear waters offer some of the best diving in the world, dive sites are uncrowded and marine life is varied and abundant. With sites at a depth of 8 to 30m and visibility up to 40m you will discover protected reefs teeming with dolphins, humpback whales, whale sharks, sharks, several species of sea turtles, manta and spotted eagle rays.
- Dive Bazaruto. A PADI dive resort email="" ,phone="+258 848 506507",Phone="+27 33330 2792" url="http://www.beach-chalets.com". Special packages including accommodation, dive courses and boat charter.
- Odyssea Dive, at Boabab Beach, ☎ +258 8278 17130 ([email protected]), . PADI certified dive center offering diving & snorkeling trips to Bazaruto Archipelago with fast, inflatable dive boats as well as beginner to professional level scuba diving courses. You may need to book in advance as they can book out. They also rent out kite gear and SUPs. edit
- Machilla Magic, ☎ +258 823 933 428, . Monday to Friday 08:00- 16:00, Saturday 08.00-12.00. A community based projerct working with Local Mozambican artists and their families to create unique, sustainable crafts..... edit
- Kuvuka Cafe, Marginal road (Head to beach from old market take a left), ☎ 845774462. 8 to 5. Great coffee, sea food, baked goods and crafts. Socially responsible. Wireless. Incredible view of shallow stripes of sea and sand. Friendly, relaxed staff. $6. edit
- Local restaurant, Opposite Barclays bank. A local nameless restaurant. Serves great seafood and chicken and always has a crowd of locals at dinner time. 200Mtn and up. edit
- Kilimanjaro Cafe, In the Lexus shopping mall plaza. Has a nice outdoor seating patio and serves great burgers, seafood, breakfasts, and pizza. Does gourmet coffees and daily fresh pastries. Has wireless and a book exchange. 250 MTn. edit
- Kilimanjaro Coffee Shop, 22M Eduarod Mondale Avenida, ☎ +258 29382439. Nice athmosphere and friendly staff, Wifi, coffee and tasteful meals edit
- Club 360, (Beach road), ☎ +258 846854872., . The club opens every night with organized parties every weekend. Other events will be organized during the week and announced on our Facebook page 'Club360vlx'! edit
- Baobab Beach, ☎ 082 7315420, . Head south for about 5 minutes from the center of town. A large place overlooking the beach with many huts and a few that serve as dorms with about 8 beds each. Also good for campers with tents. It's a little quieter up here than the northern end of town. edit
- The Beach Village, ☎ +258 29382049. ([email protected]), . The Beach Village is situated on the Mozambican coast of the Indian Ocean surrounded by the majestic Bazaruto Archipelago in the town Vilankulo just a few steps from the sea, 5 Bungalows, Dormitories, swimming pool, Beach-Bar, Bar & Restaurant with High-Speed WiFi Access From $12. edit
- Casa Chibububo Lodge, Bairo du Airporto, Stand 10, ☎ +258 (8)826 516 556, . Casa Chibububo Lodge offers double and twin room with refrigerator, beds with mosquito nets and balcony. Its facilities and services include restaurant, bar, airport shuttle service and babysitting service. edit
- Cosmo Campsite, ☎ +258 846854872. ([email protected]), . Cosmo Campsite offers a beautiful location for camping by the sea. The short 10 meters walk to the pristine beach of Vilanculos makes it an ideal spot for relaxation. For more active leisure the campsite offers free mini-golf for their guests. Every camp place is accommodated with a barbecue area and electricity. Common showers and toilets are also available. From Mts 300,- adult, Mts 200,- children below 12. edit
- Dolphinn Dhow Accommodation, ☎ +258 824624700. ([email protected]), . Overlooking The Bazaruto Archipelago offers beach front accommodation in the vibrant coastal town of Vilanculos. Rooms feature private bathrooms and air-conditioning, and there is also deck with sea views, however is always shaded. . Dorms 400 MTn (100 MTn discount negotiable in low season). edit
- Josef & Tina's, ☎ +258 29382140., . It is a small and affordable beachfront lodge with one guest house, three suites, three chalets, camp site and bar/restaurant edit
- Turtle Suites, ☎ +258 828236190 ([email protected]). Very nice suites on the beach with Air con, Wifi, full self catering kitchen and Swimming pool with a bar for a reasonable price 500 Zar. edit
- Varanda, ☎ +258 828612540 ([email protected]). on the beachfront. Venue with view of the Bazauto islands. The cuisine is a mix of Portuguese and Mozambican. Try the prawn curry. 2 suites with private toilet.1 studio on the top of a kind of moulin...incredible view. suites 70 $ studio 100 $.. edit
- Zombie Cucumber, . Beautiful grounds with lots of hammocks and shaded gazebos. Has a restaurant and bar. To get here walk 10 minutes south of the town center. Dorms Mts 350 Chalets Mts 1100. Has a small swimming pool and internet. edit
- Aguie Negra,Tel: +258 (293) 82387 , [mail to: [email protected]], . Newly renovated lodge right at the beachfront.
- Archipelago Resort, ☎ +258 293 84022 ([email protected]), . 18 Indonesian styled casa's that sleep up to 6 comfortably. On site restaurant. Horse riding and deep sea diving. US$150 per casa per night or US$40.00 per person sharing. edit
- Beach chalets, South Beach, ☎ +27 333302792 ([email protected]), . Whatever your preference is, Beach Chalets has something to suit your requirements, from clean camping sites, self catering chalets to luxury private cabanas and villas on secluded beaches. [email protected] US$40 /50 per person sharing per night or $150 per unit/night. edit
- Casa Babi, ☎ +258 8441 26478 / +258 8278 17130 ([email protected]), . Boutique Hotel located on a beautiful and lively beach with a real B&B atmosphere. Rooms overlook the islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago. Our swimming pool, restaurant, free wifi and in-house dive center add to your comfort and pleasure during your stay. €70/person including breakfast and airport transfer. Self catering family cottage option also available. edit
- Casa Guci, ☎ 082 868 6540, . A German owned resort with 3 chalets, 2-4 beds in each and fully equipped kitchens. Has a small swimming pool and a restaurant that serves European and local food, including good pizzas €60/R480/person for self catering or €85/R680/person for full board. edit
- Casa Rex, ☎ +258 293 82048 ([email protected]), . Terrace and swimming pool with views over the harbour. US$95 - US$130/person/night. edit
- Deacra Villas & rear houses - Luxury self catering (Sol Resorts Rentals), 17 - 19 Bairra de Outuburo, Vilanculos, ☎ +263772262310 ([email protected]), . Architecturally designed luxury villas & houses along the main bay with exceptional views of the ocean & islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago. Sleep 6 pax. With individual pools & air-conditioning for maximum comfort & access to a private stretch of beach. E-mail contact: [email protected] US$240 - US$ 480 per villa/ house per night. (-21.947932,+35.315305) edit
- Hotel Ancora, ☎ +258 293 82444 ([email protected]), . Step out of your room and you are on the beach. Business centre and restaurant. All rooms include ensuite bathrooms, TV (DSTv) with movies/sports/news, A/C, free breakfast and free wifi. Single $105USD/Double $170USD.. edit
- Hotel Massunguine, Av. Eduardo Mondlane, ☎ +258 293 382707. Very good hotel in town. Has 27 en-suite rooms with A/C. The manager is British/South African and very helpful. Restaurant provides very good food. MTS 1800. edit
- Pescador, Beach Road, Vilankulo, Mozambique, ☎ +258 293 82312, . All rooms have ocean views and air conditioning. There is also a a la carte restaurant and wifi with ADSL access US$100 - US$130/person/night. edit
- Villa de Macova, (GPS coordinates -21.507302,35.189225), ☎ +14437145827 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. Villa de Macova is situated in Inhassoro, Mozambique a small Indian Ocean Town approximately 95km North of Vilanculos. On offer are four ‘A’ frame bedrooms with double beds and showers. Villa de Macova can accommodate up to 8 people comfortably. There is a central entertainment area comprising of a beautiful lounge, dining room, bar and kitchen and private access to the beautiful sandy beaches. US$50/night/max 5 people. edit
- TDM and the Tourist Information in the Town centre have computers offering internet access as well as some of the resorts and restaurants.
Fly out of here to: