Vilamoura  is an area, not strictly a town, in the Algarve on Portugal's south coast.It is in the Loulé municipalaty boundaries,close to the cities of Quarteira(over developed),Loulé and Albufeira. Vilamoura is the biggest touristic complex in Europe. It has a Marina, a Golf Academy, 6 Golf Courses, a casino, several Clubs, a tennis club, a diving club, other leasure facilities, a big beach and several 4 and 5 stars hotels.
Vilamoura is the name given to an area rather than a particular town. It is a popular tourist complex and as such is quite well-tended, clean and very safe. The focal point is the yacht-cluttered Marina, around which are clustered large modern hotels. Clean white sand beaches lapped by the cool waters of the Atlantic stretch away on either side of the Marina.
This harmonious developement is the image of Vilamoura for the new millenium. In here the days are unforgetable, whether you spend it in a sailing boat, in a golf course, walking on the beach or even experiencing the adrenaline of bungee jumping. The evenings are full of vitality, to a perfect ending of a perfect day.
Note:some areas are private/excluded.
The Algarve's main  is about 10 miles from Vilamoura at Faro. There is a taxi service outside the airport. Prices are fixed by the airport and are posted by the Taxi rank.
The 125 runs east along the coast to Faro and west past Quarteira and Albufeira on its way to Lagos. The A2-IP1 links Vilamoura and the rest of the Algarve with Lisbon, although it is some 130 miles away.
- The Roman ruins and museum of Cerro da Vila in the centre of Vilamoura
- Roman Ruins of Cerro da Vila - These are ruins of a bathing complex and mosaics representing fishes of a residence. These are located right in the heart of Vilamoura, and have bathing, thermae, and tanks for salting fish that are dated from the 1st Century A.D. The interpretive centre of these ruins, allows their visitors to discover the everyday life of the ancient Algarve inhabitants, as well as to explore the silos from the Islamic period, the foundations of a funeral tower and the docks from the Roman Period.
- Marina - The Vilamoura's Marina is one of the most pretigious centre of fun and leisure in the Algarve. Located within a sober area, surounded by the most demanding touristic offer, it provides to its visitors a wide range of restaurants, bars and accommodation. The Vilamoura's Marina also posesses excelent sporting and leisure structures.
- Catch some rays down on one of the two main beaches
- Play golf on one of Vilamoura's six courses
- Take a walk along the Marina
- Go deep sea fishing
- Take a boat trip to see the caves along the coast
- Vilamoura Riding Center, Estalagem da Cegonha, ☎ (+351) 289 302 577, . The Riding Centre of Vilamoura adjoins the inn and offers you the opportunity to enjoy a nature ride or even riding lessons. edit
- 7Seven Spa, . 2700m2 spa, which includes social areas and treatments rooms, Hydrotherapy circuit with hydro-massage pools, water jet sprays, relaxation beds with aquatic massage, Zen garden, Finnish sauna, aromatic Turkish bath, Waterfall Experience Showers, a Water tunnel, ice fountain. In-room massages and treatments available edit
- The Old Course
- Pinhal Golf Course
- Laguna Golf Course
- Millenium Golf Course
- Victoria Clube de Golfe
Most restaurants are situated in the Marina area. There is a wide variety of foods available, from traditional Portuguese to Thai.
Most of the bars and clubs are concentrated in the Marina area. If you are a golfer you should check out The Hole in One its a sports bar with a golf theme and live music. Or if you love portuguese footballer Figo check out Sete Cafe. The Irish bar has a live band most nights and gets busy after 11pm. Close by is the @tlantic Bar where 'Bruno'does his 'Rat Pack' show every night except Sundays.
Renting a villa is an excellent, if a little more expensive option, although for a larger family or group this can be very cost effective.
- Mouraliz Apartments, Praça Cupertino Miranda (The property is just 100m from the Marina and only 800m from Falesia Beach), ☎ +351 289 381 551, . All rooms are equipped with refrigerator, television, kitchenette, private toilet and bath. Some of its facility and services are outdoor pool, airport shuttle, bicycle & car rental, laundry service and room service. Rates start at 144.00 EUR. edit
- Algamar Apartments, Avenida Tivoli, Lt. 2.7 A, Bloco D, Loja 18 (200 m from the casino and 300 m from the marina), ☎ +351 289 381 551, . All rooms are equipped with refrigerator, television, balcony and kitchenette. Terrace, room service, bicycle rental, car rental, fax and photocopying service. Rates start at 121.98 EUR. edit
- Rio Apartments, Rua de França, Lt. 80, ☎ +351 289 381 551, . All rooms are equipped with television, refrigerator, kitchen, private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are bar, terrace, garden, restaurant, laundry service, room service, swimming pool and car rental. Rates start at 134.00 EUR. edit
- Residence Golf Club, Rua de França, Lt. 80, ☎ +351 289 381 551, . All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, television, refrigerator, kitchen, Private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are garden, terrace, bicycle & car rental, laundry service and room service. Rates start at 202.00 EUR. edit
- Solar Monteverde, Avenida do Parque, ☎ +351 289 381 551, . All rooms are equipped with television, refrigerator, kitchen, private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are garden, terrace, car rental, room service and airport transfer. Rates start at 202.00 EUR. edit
- Algardia Apartments, Praça Cupertino Miranda (200 m from the marina and 1 km from Falesia Beach.), ☎ +351 289 381 551, . Offers rooms equipped with television, kitchen, balcony, private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services garden, swimming pool, airport shuttle, car rental and laundry service. Rates start at 103.98 EUR. edit
- Eden Village Apartments, Avenida Do Parque, ☎ +351 289 381 551, . Offers rooms equipped with television, kitchenette, living room, microwave, private toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are an outdoor swimming pool, garden, shops, airport transfer, dry cleaning and room service. Rates start at 135.98 EUR. edit
- Estalagem da Cegonha (Stork's Inn), (in the heart of Vilamoura), ☎ (+351) 289 302 577 ([email protected]), . The Estalagem da Cegonha (Stork´s Inn), with four hundred years of history, is tucked discreetly among bougainvillea. edit
- Marina Buzios Apartments, Praça Cupertino Miranda (150 metres away from the Marina.), ☎ +351 289 389 998, . This hotel offers rooms equipped with balcony, refrigerator, kitchenette and television. Some of the facilities and services offered are a swimming pool, sun terrace, car rental and laundry service. Rates start at 141.98 EUR. edit
- As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa, Rua do Brasil, Lote 4.11.1B, ☎ :(+351) 289 304 900 ([email protected]), . 5-star, full service, self-catering suites edit
- Marina Plaza Apartments, Avenida da Marina, Complexo Marina Plaza Lj. 89, ☎ +351 289 381 551, . Offers rooms equipped with balcony, refrigerator, kitchen and television. Business center, souvenirs and gift shop, airport shuttle, bicycle rental, room service and laundry service also available on premises. 595.00 EUR. edit
- Tivoli Victoria Vilamoura, Apartado 665 (overlooking the Victoria Vilamoura Golf Course), ☎ (+351) 289 317 000 ([email protected]). 5 star hotel featuring 280 guest rooms. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning and plasma television. There are also wireless Internet connections and Ipod ports in every room. edit
Lagos is to the west.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!