Victoria is the capital of the Seychelles islands, located on the island of Mahe.
Victoria is one of the smallest capital cities in the world and the only major port in the Seychelles. Its courthouse and post office in the center of town have been virtually unchanged since colonial times.
The airport in the city is Seychelles International Airport.
This is the hub for Air Seychelles. Air Seychelles flies to Bangkok, Mumbai, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Johannesburg, Rome, Milan and Port Louis via Boeing 767 aircraft. International service is also available from Nairobi (Kenya Airways), Addis Ababa (Ethiopian), Dubai (Emirates), and Doha (Qatar Airways), London (British Airways), Paris (Air France) and regular charter services from Frankfurt (Condor) and Amsterdam (Martinair).
These buses cater to the locals and are fairly cheap. Buses are sometimes irregular and may come to a stop less often than in other cities, so don't be surprised to wait for a while.
The taxis are metered and will often offer to be your tour guide around the Island. Negotiate a price beforehand.
The most popular alternative among locals. Bikes can be rented for cheap at some shops in the city.
- The Natural History Museum features many displays of the natural wildlife of the Seychelles.
Attractions in the city include a clocktower modelled on that of Vauxhall Clock Tower in London, England, the Courthouse, the Victoria Botanical Gardens, the Sir Selwyn Selwyn-Clarke Market. The city is also home to the national stadium and a polytechnic institute, while the inner harbour lies immediately east of the town, around which tuna fishing and canning form a major local industry.
- Visit the morning market where residents buy and bargain for fresh fish, fruits and vegetables.
Coconuts and coconut products are very abundant and inexpensive in Victoria.
There are 42 restaurants on Mahe Island.
- Islander Restaurant/Anchor Café is Anse a’ La Mouche. Owned by an American who previously was with the USAF, and his family. Excellent food, great location. Seaside al fresco dining.(closed on Sundays)
- Marie Antoinette Restaurant - Mahe/St. Louis . Family style. They give you A LOT of food, genuine Creole Seychellois. Batter fried parrot fish, tuna steaks, chicken curries. Since 1972. An island tradition. Mon-Sat 1830-2100.
- Boat House in Beau Vallon. Creole Buffet, they open at 1930, get there early, once it’s gone, it’s gone.
Salad buffet, curries, grilled fresh fish and chicken. Good prices.
La Perle Noir (The Black Pearl ) in Beau Vallon. Fancier place and a bit pricier. Tropical garden, fresh fish and seafood. Romantic. European pricing. Reservations recommended. A table outside near the garden can be very pleasant.
- Lovenut Nightclub, in the center of Victoria. Great atmosphere where you can nicely mix with locals. So far the club has the best light and sound in the country. Big plus - a taxi station just a few steps away, so to get home or to your hotel is not a problem even if you have had a few drinks. Cozy design and VIP area attracts party lovers and the club is always crowded. Here you can meet celebrities, models and sometimes not-so-quiet type businessmen. General admission is around 75-100SR. Open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Dress code enforced: men should wear pants only and covered shoes.
- Tequila Boom Beau Belle, north Mahe - newly renovated. Theme nights: Lollipop, Bubble & Foam, Tribal, more. State of the art lighting and sound system. A preferred clubbing spot.
- Katiolo Club NO CREDIT cards accepted. (Strict dress code. men: no sleeveless shirts, long pants and covered shoes) Main tourist area in the north. Open air tropical decor. International current top hits and local music. A smaller club. More of the younger generation, all are welcome.
- Sunrise Small Hotel. 16 rooms. Located less than one kilometre south of the Clock Tower, adjacent to the Botanical Garden. edit
- Casuarina Beach Hotel. Safe and clean rooms. Approximately US$200. edit
- Le Meridien Barbarons, ☎ (248) 673 000 ([email protected], fax: (248) 673 380), . checkin: Noon; checkout: 10AM. Approximately $US250. edit
- Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino, P.O. Box 550, Victoria, Mahe, ☎ +248 (4) 287 287 ([email protected], fax: +248 (4) 247 943), . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11.30am. A 4 star hotel located in the Northwest coast of Mahe Island which consists of 232 rooms and suites. It features 8 restaurants & bars, meeting and wedding facilities along with diving and a casino. Starting from USD 110. ("-4.614681"long="55.426804",) edit