Vianen is a small historical city in the south of the province Utrecht of the Netherlands. Vianen is a good place to stay when you want to combine the quietness of a small city, with seeing the sights of the large city Utrecht or the forts of the Dutch waterline. On its own Vianen is a nice city for a short trip of a day or two, especially when you love cycling and historic buildings or when you plan the trip around one of the local events.
- Use a buss line from the train station or city center of Utrecht.
- Go by car from Amsterdam, Eindhoven or Maastricht using the highway A2.
- Go by car from Belgium, Breda, Hilversum or Almere using the highway A27.
- If you travel by car from The Hague, Gouda, Veenendaal or Arnhem, use the highway A12 until you reach the A27 or A2, then go south.
- Use the ferry from Nieuwegein (cars are not allowed on the ferry, but you can take your bike with you).
- Come with your own or a rented boat using the Merwede canal or the river Lek. Vianen has two harbors: the 'passantenhaven' close to the city center and harbor 'de Peiler'  that is located 3 km from the city center. More information about facilities in the paragraph 'Sleep'. Both harbors require a small fee.
Since Vianen is a small town, you can get around by foot or bycicle. You can rent a bike at Hotel Vianen. You can also can get around good by buss or car. Some parking spots have a maximum parking duration, you can park in P1, P2 or P3 close to the center without a duration limit. Parking is free on most locations in Vianen, an exception is 'Hof van Batenstein', where an elderly home, doctor and pharmacy are located.
Get a visual impression of Vianen by watching movies.
- The big roman church (build in 1542) at Voorstraat 108
- The city hall at the Voorstraat (build in 1425)
- Lekpoort at the riverside of the Voorstraat (build in the 15th century).
- Water tower at Hofplein 9 (build in 1909), this is one of the first concrete water towers in the Netherlands.
- The City museum has a permanent exposition of the history of Vianen and a changing exposition. Address: Voorstraat 97 (in the same building as the tourist agency)
Events & Expositions
To get a visual impression of the events, check out the pictures of the local news paper.
- Local arts and craft amateurs show their work at the atelier route held at the end of September.
- Oldtimer exposition in june
- Tugboat exposition every two years in May
- Visit Theatre 'De Stadshof' located at Hazelaarplein 4.
- City tour by foot: you can get city tours at the tourist agency with a group. You can also get a city tour without a group every first Saturday of the month at 14:00, costs are €3. The route is sold at the tourist agency as well, so you can walk the route at every chosen moment.
- Play farmers golf (a wooden shoe on a stick is the golf club) at Theehuis the Ponthoeve, located just outside the city center on the river (Address: Buitenstad 69).
- Go swimming in the indoor swimming pool Helsdingen (address: Het Slyk 1) or the lake of the 'Middelwaard' located next to the Lekbrug of the highway A2.
At the local tourist agency 'VVV Vianen' they have information about the events that take place in the city (address Voorstraat 97).
- Visit the Highlandgames (that take place at the end of april), this are Scottish inspired games in which all contesters wear a Scottish kilt. You have to register before you can play the games.
- Cildrens games and pop concerts around Kings day (end of April). Some of the activities are free.
- Horsemarket (with games for children and adults) held in October
- Visit the Sinterklaas parade held late November, exact date and time is announced here.
Most stores are in the street called 'Voorstraat'. They are open from 9:00-18:00 and on Frydays until 21:00. The shops are closed on most Sundays.
Locally made products (like cheese, honey, jam and juices) are sold at Cheesefarm 'van Rossum' (adress: Helsdingse Achterweg 20). You can take a look in the farm when you visit this shop. Open on Tuesday morning, Friday and Saterday.
- Ena, Greek restaurant
- Brazz, a very good French restaurant.
- Mama Mia, an Italian restaurant with a beautiful terrace on the waterside.
- Theehuis De Oude Stadsmuur, you can drink tea or coffe with cake at a beautifull historic place in the city wall (Adress: Klooster 1c, next to the big church)
- Theehuis de Ponthoeve, just outside the city center on the river (Adress: Buitenstad 69)
- Cafe 't Fust at Voorstraat 9
- Shamrock at Voorstraat 47
- Cafe De Vrienden at Voorstraat 68
- Hotel Vianen has good rooms (from €60) with free Wifi and a restaurant.
- B&B Restaurant De Vrijstad, Voorstraat 101
- Camping Clementie, adress: Middelwaard 7
- There is a free Camper parking without facilities at 'P1' (adress corner of Kanaalweg and Brugdijk).
- Vianen has two harbors where you can sleep on your (rented) boat. In the 'passantenhaven' close to the city center your boat can be (max 3 days) in the harbor of Vianen. You can get water and power there, but there are no sanitairy facilities. The harbor 'de Peiler' has a lot more facilities, it is located 3 km from the city center and overlooks the fields, camping and river. Both harbors require a small fee.
- Visit the big city Utrecht, e.g. for shopping, for history, to see the canals or to party. It's best to go by bus (from the bus stop next to the A2 highway called 'Lekbrug' at least 3-8 busses per hour go to Utrecht), plan your trip with 9292.
- Visit one of the forts of the Dutch waterline. Vianen is exactly in the middle of the waterline and therefore a good starting point for tourists who want to visit multiple forts.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!