Mestre is a city in Italy, next to Venice.
To travel to Mestre you can fly to two different airports. Marco Polo in Venice is the closest, about 20 minutes from the train station in Mestre and you can take the ATVO flybus or line 5 every 10 minutes or so. The bus stop is all the way at the west side of the train station. Tickets are €8 (August 2015). Treviso airport is also nearby, approximately 50 minutes by bus from the same stop.
Mestre's town center is pedestrianised and is therefore difficult to navigate in a car. There are bus links to all the local attractions and everything is within walking distance.
There are many well maintained bike lanes throughout Mestre
Mestre has several sights in the main Piazza, Piazza Erminio Ferretto. There is a watchtower at the top of the piazza, and be sure to check out Teatro Toniolo, which is a beautiful theater. Piazza Erminio Ferretto is a typically Italian Piazza, with a modern water feature at the center and lots of different eateries with outside seating. It is also full of top end designer stores. There are two local parks in Mestre which are worth visiting. The first is Parco San Giulliano, which is often used for outdoor concerts in the summer. Parco San Giulliano has a remarkable and unique view of Venice lagoon as it borders the Ponte della Liberta', what joins the Venetian islands with the mainland. Parco Bissuola is another local park, offering good sport facilities and an outdoor pool. Mestre is a very charming city, with its canal snaking across the center. There are plenty of gorgeous little streets to explore along the way.
Stretch your legs at the two main parks, Parco San Giulliano and Parco Bissuola. Each has good sport facilities, such as outdoor pools, basketball courts, skate rinks and running tracks.
For those with children, there are play parks dotted around the city. There is also a mini train for children near the Le Barche shopping center.
Mestre has various different markets throughout the week, including ones specialising in fresh fruit and vegetables, clothes and even art.
Max out your credit card at one of the many designer stores in Mestre. There also is a very modern shopping center called 'Le Barche'.
There are lots of different restaurants and cafes throughout Mestre which have guaranteed good meals out.
Mestre is full of small family owned pasticcerie such as bakeries. In Piazza Erminio Ferretto you can buy little miniature deserts, called mignon- which are delicious. Tramezzini- similar to sandwiches- are also very popular, there are places where you can chose from more than 30 different types. Brioche, with your morning espresso, is another staple found in Mestre. The pizza is typically Italian, thin and delicious. Being on the coast, fish is another important part of Mestre cuisine and there are always plenty to choose from in any restaurant (beware they sell fish by the weight, so in the menu if it says €5 for bass then that may mean for 100 grams, and end up costing near €30!).
There is a giant supermarket just off of Corso del Popolo. Follow Via Antonio Fogazzaro until the end, go up the stairs, cross Corso del Popolo and it will be in front of you. Open until 9pm, except Sundays, when it closes at 8pm.
- Pasticceria Serenissima, Via Miranese 186/H (Mestre, 200m far from the passby and 1 km far from the center of town.), . A 30 year old patisserie. Specialities: Nutial cakes, icecreams and Easter eggs. edit
Aperol is the liquor of choice. Orange flavored, it is very popular in the form of a cocktail named "spritz", with prosecco and sparkling water added. Also coffee is typically Italian, strong and delicious.
- Camping Fusina, Via Moranzani, 93, Fusina, ☎ +39 041 5470543 ([email protected]), . Camping at the mouth of Brenta River. 20 min away by ferry from historic Venice (ferry 16 Fusina - Zattere). The drawback is you can't stay too long in Venice proper, last ferry back is (in summer season) around 22.30. Person €10, tent €9, car €5, cabin for two €30. edit
- Camping Venezia Village, Via Orlanda, 8/c, ☎ +39 041 5312828 ([email protected]), . Renovated in 2011, 100m from bus stop to Venice proper, bus every 15 minutes (lines 5 and 19) till around midnight. They advertise as "the nearest camping to Venice" (it's debatable). Person €9, 'place' on the camp €12 or 15. edit
- Camping Rialto, Via Orlanda 16, ☎ +39 041 5420295 ([email protected]), . Pizzeria, WiFi. Adult €6, kid €4, car €4, tent €6, slightly more in July and August. edit
- Hotel Delfino, C.so del Popolo 211. ☎ +39 41 5496711, (fax: +39 41 531 0601) . 4 star hotel with 126 rooms.
- Hotel Holiday, Via dell'essicatoio, 38. ☎ +39 41 611088, (fax: +39 41 5347136) . Free car parking. Double rooms starting from €70.
- Hotel Nuova Mestre, Via Miranese, 169. ☎ +39 41 913803, (fax: +39 41 913555) .
- Cà Nova Alloggi, Via Bagaron 1. Campalto. ☎ +39 41 900033 . (On the road from Mestre to Venice airport).
- Hotel Casa a Colori, via dei Frati 1, Dolo.  An ancient monastery now a cosy hotel. Simple and elegant accommodation for any type of travellers. Gardens, peace, private free car parking, welcoming staff, close to the Brenta River and the Venetian Villas. Single rooms from €40, doubles from €62, including taxes and buffet breakfast.
- Venice airport accommodation Via Tenda 11, Venezia (village Tessera). Just 1 km from Venice Airport Marco Polo, not under the flight path, the area is quiet. 15 minutes by bus from Venice historical center, bus until 1.00 am. Free WI FI. Info:  Dorm 14 Euro per person, a double room is 36 Euro (18 euro per person).
- Antico Mulino Hotel, Via Moglianese 37, Scorzè, 30037 ph +39.041.5840700 fax +39.041.5840347 . Doubles starting from €75. An ancient mill on the river in the countryside.
- Casa Villa Gardenia, Via Rizzardi 36/c, Marghera, ph +39 041.5318288 fax +39 041.5318283 . The Hotel Alexander is in the most modern part of Mestre, near the city’s new business center. Doubles starting from €90.
- Hotel Altieri, Via Altinia 51, 30030 Favaro Veneto, ph +39 041.5010651 fax +39 041.631504. In Mestre, 3 miles from the airport. Double room rates range from €110.
- Hotel Al Vivit, P.zza Ferretto 73, 50127, ph +39 041.951385 fax +39 041.958891. It is an elegant hotel located in the Ferretto’s Square. Double room rates range from €89.
- Hotel Ducale, Via Triestina n° 5, 30030 Favaro Veneto, ph +39.041.631444 fax +39.041.631393 . Located 3 km from Venice Airport. Single rooms from €60, doubles from €70 and triples from €90 including taxes and breakfast.
- Hotel Elite, Via Forte Marghera 119, ph +39 041.5330740 fax +39 041.5330730 . In the center of Mestre. Easily reached from the train station and from the Venice airport. Single rooms from €45, doubles from €60 (depending on the season).
- Hotel Garibaldi V.le Garibaldi 24, ph +39 041.5349362 fax +39 041.5347565.  Single room from €60, Double from €75.
- La Residenza Bed and Breakfast, Calle del Sale 33/a, ph +39.335.5475910 fax +39 041 5042906 . Bed & breakfast in the heart of Mestre, with its modest and friendly atmosphere, is a vacation location with the added convenience of arriving at your hotel by car.
- Hotel Roberta, Via Sernaglia 21, ph +39 041.929355 fax +39 041.930983 . Just a stroll from Mestre Station. Single from €40, double from €80.
- Hotel Trieste, Via Trento 2, ph +39 041.929462 fax +39 041.922221 . In front of Venice-Mestre railway station, completely renovated, with careful attention to detail. Single rooms from €50, doubles from €80.
- Villa Crispi Guesthouse, Via Francesco Crispi 20, ph +39 041.5349236 fax +39 041.5349236 . Single rooms from €70, doubles from €80 including taxes and breakfast.
In Mestre there are some night clubs: Molocinque at Marghera is the most popular (and, obviously the most expensive), Cielo at Tessera (next to the airport) is another club that warrants a visit.
Around the Venetian lagoon are other smaller islands, which have since been deserted but are worth a visit. There is also the Lido, which is a long narrow island with more modern buildings, hosting a youth hostel and a hotel.
- Venice— The main island (regional train to Venice Santa Lucia costs € 1.25, local bus € 1.30).
- The Lido— Famous Venice beaches.
- Murano— Nearby Island with typical glass.
- Burano— Nearby Island with typical textiles and painted houses.
- San Lazzaro— Nearby Island with Armenian monastery and impressive art collection, some world class pieces.
- Jesolo— Jesolo is one of the most important beaches in Italy, just 45' from Venice by car or by boat (ferry from Treporti to Venice).