Van Nuys is in the San Fernando Valley, which is part of Los Angeles County in Southern California.
Van Nuys sits north of U.S. Route 101 and straddles Interstate 405, which runs through the middle of the district's boundaries. It lies north of Sherman Oaks and south of North Hills and Panorama City.
Van Nuys Airport, (IATA: VNY, ICAO: KVNY) is a public airport in the San Fernando Valley 17 miles to the northeast of Los Angeles via US-101 in Van Nuys, CA. The airport follows a partial curfew between 10:00pm and 7:00am (PST) on Stage 2 aircraft, which may limit departure/arrival times for some planes. There are several helicopters based at Van Nuys operated by news channels, medical transport, and tour companies from the Los Angeles area; the LAFD also operates their helicopter units here.
There is no airline service at this airport, however, it is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world. It's also the preferred airport for many celebrities and HNWI's. Air charter companies such as Los Angeles Private Jets offer access to a variety of aircraft based at Van Nuys, ranging from single & twin-engine props, to luxury business jets.
There are 4 FBO (Fixed-Base Operators) at KVNY (Signature Flight Support, Clay Lacy Aviation, Castle and Cooke Aviation, and Jet Aviation). The Van Nuys FlyAway Bus service offers non-stop service to Los Angeles International Airport for travelers who park their cars at Van Nuys. Formerly known as Metropolitan Airport, the airport is most famous as the setting for the final scenes of the 1942 film "Casablanca".
For commercial flights, Bob Hope Airport in Burbank is due east 6 miles from Van Nuys on Vanowen St, and is the closest airport offering scheduled airline service. From there, public transit options include the Metrolink or Amtrak directly from the airport, or a free shuttle to the Metro Rail station in North Hollywood, where you can connect to the Metro Orange Line.
- Van Nuys Golf Course, 6550 Odessa Street, (818) 785-8871. This small park boasts an 18-hole, par 3 course for beginners as well as a driving range.
- Iceland Ice Skating Center, 14318 Calvert St., (818) 785-2171, . This indoor ice skating rink offers bumper cars, "easy skaters" (or, walkers for new skaters), and three party rooms. Also a recognizable landmark for fans of the 2005 film Me and You and Everyone We Know.
- Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Pool, 14201 Huston St., (818) 783-6721, . The area's public pool tends to be crowded, but clean. With an LA City Library Card, admission is free, as are pull buoys, kick boards, and fins.
- Woodley Lakes Golf Course, 6331 Woodley Ave., (818) 780-6886, . Woodley Lakes has tournament-like greens with flat, wide, and forgiving holes that are great for beginners.
- Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ, 8136 Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1-818-780-6701, . It gets really busy on the weekends. Try the beef ribs, pork ribs, beans and macaroni salad. It also has delicious bread. edit
- El Criollo, 13245 Victory Blvd., (818) 508-0865. Cuban.
- El Katracho Honduran. 14838 Burbank Blvd.,. (818) 780-7044.
- Kyushu Ramen Japanese. 15355 Sherman Way Ste N., (818) 786-6005. Authentic Japanese food. Open late.
- Lido Pizza Casual Italian. 15232 Victory Blvd., (818) 781-2551.
- Little Ocha of the Valley Thai. 13647 Victory Blvd., (818) 782-1898.
- Lulu's Restaurant, 16900 Roscoe Blvd., (818) 988-0707, . American Traditional & Sports Bar.
- Mercado Buenos Aires, 7540 Sepulveda Blvd., (818) 786-0522. Argentine Steakhouse.
- Norm's Restaurant, 13640 Sherman Way, (818) 780-5060, . A diner.
- Papa's & Beer, 6740 White Oak Ave,(818) 401-0015. Mexican.
- The Sherman Room, 16916 Sherman Way, (818) 881-9363. American & Steaks.
- Valley Ranch Barbeque, 16623 Sherman Way, (818) 989-1301.
- Yagumo Sushi, Japanese & Sushi. 14554 Vanowen St, (818) 787-9383.
- Los Tres Hermanos (Mexican Food), 7456 Van Nuys Blvd (corner of Van Nuys and Sylvan), ☎ (818) 780-9930, . 9am to 10pm. A local Mexican restaurant that mixes in some authentic food from Mexico. Most of the time the restaurant is busy during the week with most of the customers coming from the local businesses. $14. (34.207135,-118.448732) edit
Van Nuys isn't exactly known for its nightlife, but there are a few local spots that offer a laid-back neighborhood atmosphere as well as live music.
- Charlie O's Bar & Grill 13725 Victory Blvd., (818) 989-3110. . Live jazz, blues, and a full bar.
- Springbok Bar & Grill, 16153 Victory Blvd, ☎ +1-818-988-9786, . South African pub known for BBQ, beer, rugby fans, international beers on tap, and live performances. edit
- Ireland's 32 13721 Burbank Blvd., (818) 785-4031, . Irish charm, pub food, and live bands or karaoke.
Travelers should be wary of staying at any "motel" or "motor inn" in the area. Most of the "motels" cater to the many prostitutes found along Sepulveda Boulevard. There are only four legitimate hotels in Van Nuys:
- Airtel Plaza Hotel, 7277 Valjean Ave., (818) 997-2823, .
- Holiday Inn Express, 8244 Orion Ave., (818) 989-5010, .
- Suburban Extended Stay, 13561 Sherman Way, (818) 780-0558, .
- Travelodge Van Nuys, 6909 Sepulveda Blvd., (818) 787-5400, .