The Valles Calchaquíes are in the Argentine province of Salta.
Stunningly beautiful landscapes. Mountains up to 6,000 m high, dry valleys, extraordinary rock formations, wine-growing around Cafayate.
Get in & around
Public transport through the valleys is scarce. There are many tour agencies in Salta which offer 4WD trips to the valleys, many involving one night in Cafayate. These are spectacular and very recommended.
Poncho Tours, based in Salta, offers tailor-made, private tours with an english-speaking driver. http://www.ponchotours.com/
- The Cuesta del Obispo leads up from Salta, through steep hairpin bends to the mountain pass Piedra del Molino (3347 m). Beautiful views.
- Parque Nacional Los Cardones, a strikingly beautiful highland area, famed for the great candelabra cacti growing here.
- Cachi, lovely town at the foot of Nevado de Cachi (6380 m).
- Quebrada de las Flechas, a surreal landscape of fantastic rock formations.
- Cafayate, a very pleasant town with plenty of tourist facilities. Centre of a wine-making area.
- Take a 4WD tour through the valleys.
- Visit a bodega in Cafayate
Eat & Sleep
Cafayate offers many fine places to stay and eat.
- Hostal del Valle, San Martín 243, Cafayate. Tel: (03868) 421039.
- El Hospedaje, Camila Quintana de Niño esq. Salta, Cafayate. Tel:(03868) 421680.
Some of Argentina's best wines are produced around Cafayate. Especially good are the white wines of the torrontés grape, which is only grown in Argentina.
Several wineries (bodegas) around Cafayate can be visited, including:
- La Vasija Secreta, , the oldest in the valley, on Ruta No. 40 on the outskirts of town. ([email protected])
- Etchart, , one of the largest, also on Ruta No. 40, 2 km south of town. Tel. (03868) 421310