The Valles Calchaquíes are in the Argentine province of Salta.
Stunningly beautiful landscapes. Mountains up to 6,000 m high, dry valleys, extraordinary rock formations, wine-growing around Cafayate.
Get in & around
Public transport through the valleys is scarce. There are many tour agencies in Salta which offer 4WD trips to the valleys, many involving one night in Cafayate. These are spectacular and very recommended.
Poncho Tours, based in Salta, offers tailor-made, private tours with an English-speaking driver.
- The Cuesta del Obispo leads up from Salta, through steep hairpin bends to the mountain pass Piedra del Molino (3347 m). Beautiful views.
- Parque Nacional Los Cardones, a strikingly beautiful highland area, famed for the great candelabra cacti growing here.
- Cachi, lovely town at the foot of Nevado de Cachi (6380 m).
- Quebrada de las Flechas, a surreal landscape of fantastic rock formations.
- Cafayate, a very pleasant town with plenty of tourist facilities. Centre of a wine-making area.
- Take a 4WD tour through the valleys.
- Visit a bodega in Cafayate
- La Esquina de la Abuela, San Lorenzo 151-199, Cafayate, Salta, ☎ +54 386 863 8979, . Restaurant edit
Some of Argentina's best wines are produced around Cafayate. Especially good are the white wines of the torrontés grape, which is only grown in Argentina.
- Etchart, RN40 1047, A4427 Cafayate, ☎ +54 386 849 2019 ([email protected]), . One of the largest, also on Ruta No. 40, 2 km south of town. edit
- La Vasija Secreta, RN40 Km 4343, Cafayate, Salta, ☎ +54 386 842 1850 ([email protected]), . The oldest in the valley, on the outskirts of town. edit
- Viñas de Animanà, RN40, A4427 Animana, Salta, ☎ +54 386 849 2019, . Winery edit
- Cabañas Pulaki, Animana, Salta, ☎ +54 387 684 9802. edit
- Camping Municipal De Animaná, ☎ +54 386 840 0123. edit
- El Hospedaje, Salta 13, A4427 Cafayate, ☎ +54 386 842 1680, . edit
- Hostal del Valle, San Martín 243, A4427 Cafayate, ☎ +54 386 842 1039 ([email protected]), . edit