La Concepción Church at the Alfonso López Plaza
Valledupar is the capital of the department of Cesar in Colombia and the birthplace of Vallenato music.
Known as the “forest city”, Valledupar is considered the greenest city in Colombia. As the birthplace of Vallenato music, the city is representative of a unique part of the Colombian culture.
The city has around 350,000 inhabitants and enjoys year round sunshine. The average temperature is 30 degrees Celsius and the driest months are from December to February.
La Pilonera Mayor monument
- From the north (Cuatro Vias), a collectivo to Valledupar costs 20,000 COP and will drop you at the location of your choice in town. A bus from Maicao costs 20,000 COP and takes 4 hours.
- From Bogota, 16hr bus ride with costs ranging from 90,000 COP to 115,000 COP depending on the season.
From the bus terminal:
Valledupar has different land entrances, and it's crossed by national highway route from south to north.
The easiest way is to take a taxi which will cost around $5000. Ask the taxi driver to let you of in the “Centro”, one block away from the "Plaza Alfonso Lopez".
It is possible to get to Valledupar from Bogotá, Barranquilla and Bucaramanga by plane to the airport Alfonso López. three airlines cover this route: Avianca, Easyfly and LAN. You are advised to book and reconfirm in high season.
A taxi ride from the airport to the Centro will cost around $10000.
• In the urban area transportation services are provided by taxis and by private bus companies covering the entire city by shared routes. Lately, a new form of transportation has been developing: the informal auto (mototaxi).
- Local buses depart from the square around the market.
Nabusimake, capital of the Arhuaco indians
- Plaza Alfonso Lopez. edit
- Indian village of Nabusimake, (Get a shared taxi to Pueblo Bello (10,000 COP) and then another one to nabusimake (15,000)). edit
- Go for a swim in the river, though be aware that it gets packed on weekends and holidays.
- Festival de la leyenda Vallenata, . Competition of vallenato band taking place in the last week of April. Expect a big crowd. edit
- Witness interesting traditions and culture of the Arhuaca people here or in their secluded town of Nabusimake.
- Enjoy traditional and Spanish colonial architecture. The square, “Alfonso López Pumarejo,” and the traditional and colonial part of Downtown Valledupar still preserve Spanish colonial architecture.
- Swim and dive in the cool, clean Guatapurí and Badillo rivers
- Los Besotes ecopark : bird watch and hike in the verdant park.
- For indigenous crafts, visit the nearby historic village of La Mina.
- The square, “Alfonso López Pumarejo”.
- The traditional and colonial part of the centre.
- Swimming facilities “Hurtado” at the river Guatapurí.
- The park “Lineal” and the “Village Vallenato”.
- Natural swimming facilities “La Mina”.
- The “Badillo” river.
- The eco park “Los Besotes” and the reserve “Vida Silvestre”.
- The eco park “Paraver”, known for it`s protections of the flora and fauna.
- Visits to all the monuments and parks as: “Los Poporos”, “María Mulata”, ”Los Gallos”, “El Folclor Vallenato”, ”Mi Pedazo de Acordeón”, and “Revolución en Marcha”.
- The “stage” Compai Chipuco.
- The Vallenato music groups and the Vallenato parties.
- Fruit trees you´ll find in the city; mango, cañahuate, ceibas, robles, totumos, acacias, mamones, cotoprix, uvitos, cardamomos e innumerables cauchos.
- The important indigenous population in the area such as Nabusimake.
- Villages like La Paz, Patillal, Manaure Cesar, Pueblo Bello, Nabusimake
- The savannah area of the Cesar department and visits to the mountain area of the “Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta”.
- The “Coliseo Gallístico”. Cock fights every Friday.
•The Exito supermarket is a huge superstore offering everything from clothes to electrical articles to fresh fruit and vegetables. There are two in the city.
•The Jumbo supermarket, located in C.C. Guatapuri Plaza, is another huge superstore offering everything from clothes to electrical articles to fresh fruit and veg.
•Olimpica supermarket (all through the city).
•Mi Futuro supermarket: located near the "Galería Popular", is a local supermarket, good prices.
•Market - There's a local market selling fresh produce, Plaza de Mercado ¨La Galeria¨
Guatapurí Plaza (Av. Hurtado Diagonal 10 No. 6N-15)
Orbe Plaza (Carrera 9 con calle 12, esquina)
Centro Comercial Los Mayales
- Mcvaca Burgers, Carrera 19 # 4C-34 (Across the street from El Fortin.), ☎ 5700377. from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. A really nice alcohol free joint where you can enjoy delicious burgers (American style), Tostones (Fried Plaintains), Mastodontes(A mix of sausages, cheese, French fries and BBQ ribs), Thin Crust Pizzas and more. edit
- Guzto Restaurant, Av. Sierra Nevada # 25 -85 lc 13., ☎ +57 (5) 5832135. Monday to Twesday from 17:00 to 11:30 and weekend from 17:00 to 24:00. Fast Food, beef, grill and special dish using fresh ingredients cooked over hot coals. edit
• La Licorera: Carrera 9 # 9 - 36
• Plaza Mayor: Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López
• La iguana: Carrera 9 #10-44
• Kankurua: Calle 16a # 7 - 61
• Café Plaza Mayor: Good location and nice bar. Three music ambiences. (Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López)
• Juan Valdez: Guatapurí Plaza (Av. Hurtado Diag. 10 No. 6N-15)
• Restaurants - Valledupar hosts a massive variety of places to eat.
• Compae chipuco: Carrera 6ta con calle 16. Ask for "el almuerzo" at lunch and "menu del dia" it´s the cheap option.
• Antore Pizza: Calle 12 Nro 17-46 Tel: (5) 573-3030
• La Razón: Tipical food. Carrera 6 Nro 11-03 Tel: (5) 584-6051
• Jerusalem: Carrera 9 Nro 7c-29
- Provincia Hostel, Calle 16A #5-25, centro, Valledupar, Cesar, Colombia (One block away from Plaza Alfonso Lopez), ☎ Tel (0057-5) 58-005-58 Cel : (300) 241-92-10, . checkout: 11:30"". New backbackers hostel with all the amenities that go along (bbq, free internet and bike rentals, kitchen, etc..) Very friendly and helpful staff. edit
- Hotel Casablanca, Carrera 8 No. 17-61, ☎ 570 7242 - 570 9296. Clean but tiny and windowless rooms. Shower,TV and fan. Located in the center and close to the plaza Alfonso Lopez. Single : 20,000 COP - Double : 25,000 COP. edit
- Hostal Buenos Aires, Carrera 7 No. 14 – 60, centro, Valledupar, Cesar, Colombia (One block away from Plaza Alfonso Lopez), ☎ Tel +573003241366, . checkout: 12.00". They have two dormitories (30,000 COP with breakfast). At the same area there is a restaurant with cheap lunch. Very friendly and helpful staff. edit