NOTE: IBHILL IS RETIRED AND CANNOT ANSWER QUESTIONS; PLEASE POST ANY QUESTIONS ON THE Travellers' pub PAGE!
Welcome to IB_hill's discussion page! Feel free to send a question or drop a line down here and I'll respond as soon as I can! :) IB hill (talk) 13:43, 28 March 2018 (EDT)IB_hill
If you have any questions about anything, please add it below here!
Hello, I work in the Tourism Timmins office and was editing the City of Timmins information and got a "none shall pass" message. The information posted here at Wikitravel is seriously out of date. Can we update this please?
MRFL - Marnie
- Hi, thank you for your contribution to Timmins. Very much appreciated! I just tried with a minor edit, all works fine and there's no "none shall pass" message. Guess it's only a one time thing? Yes, you can definitely update the article. As a matter of fact your edits will be highly welcome and very much appreciated. Cheers! --Binbin (talk) 02:44, 11 October 2018 (EDT)
I was trying to create a page for Rangitoto Island (I linked it in my edit to the Auckland site) and I'm a bit confused about how to properly use an image (I was going to create a banner) without violating any copyright/copyleft terms. If you could provide an explanation or link me to a page that has a good explanation, that would be awesome. As I am just starting out, I want to make sure I do things right to begin with. -BrysonH
- Hey BrysonH! Great Question! First and for most, I would check out the "Contribute" section in Help, it contains a lot of useful info that might help!
- 1) To create a page for Rangitoto Island, check out our article templates page and pick the template that best suits the page you want to create (in your case it's the "Small city article template"). Click on "quick version" and it will show you the template to use for that page. Copy the markup and paste it to url https://wikitravel.org/en/Rangitoto_Island. There you can create your page and start editing!
- 2) Take a look at our how to add an image page for our image policy and instructions. Friendly note that images are uploaded on Wikitravel Shared and to make sure that the image that you find offers a commercial and mod use license. Don't forget to give it attributes too!
- Hope this helps and please let me know if you need any more assistance! IB hill (talk) 18:35, 30 March 2018 (EDT)IB_Hill
Hello, I've noticed that when I edit, I can only edit the top section (the introductory section if you will) of pages, and I can't edit the individual sections (As you can tell from my edit history, I like to add information about public transit in the "Get In" and "Get Around" sections). I'm not sure if it's something browser-related, or something on WikiTravel's end, but can you look into this? Thanks a lot.
Hi IB hill,
thanks for your welcome message on my talk page. I am still figuring out how it all works.
Two questions regarding the Atins page:
1. As you can see I removed the external link Atins.me from most parts of the article, however I was not sure if it should stay under contact.
What information should be listed under contact and are external links wanted here?
2. Furthermore, it is visible in the history of the article there was a lot more information including hotels, restaurants etc. than there is now. Is it possible to restore this old information somehow? I am just having my phone with me right now to edit.
Thanks in advance! Travel-bug (talk) 09:37, 23 May 2018 (EDT)
- Hey there, Travel-bug! Thanks for reaching out and will be happy to answer your questions.
- 1. Good call on removing the external link from most parts of the article- generally having 1 is good and the link has to be something that's uniquely useful. Good examples would be if it's a link to the exact business listing or link to the official website that supplements the information (i.e. train schedule). We generally remove links that show up multiple times or are not necessary at all. I also don't think we see a lot of main headers with "Contact" (it's possibly outdated). So for this case, since Atin.me is their official website, I hyperlinked it to "Atins" right when it's first introduced.
- 2. I traced back the revisions and was able to pull some info about dining and lodging that was made in 2016. Hopefully this is the one you're referring to.
- Let me know if you have any other questions! IB hill (talk) 10:48, 23 May 2018 (EDT)IB_Hill
- Hi IB hill, for me it is now much clearer how links should be treated. Thank you for your answers and changes! Travel-bug (talk) 11:55, 23 May 2018 (EDT)
Saying hello? Write it below here! :)
Hello and welcome! GiulioC (talk) 03:26, 29 March 2018 (EDT)
- Hello! Thanks for your message on my talk page, welcome! Adzas (talk) 05:05, 29 March 2018 (EDT)
- Hi! IBJoel (talk) 17:37, 11 April 2018 (EDT)
- Hello. IBThomas (talk) 18:09, 11 April 2018 (EDT)Thomas
- Hello from Internet Explorer IBThomas (talk) 15:30, 12 April 2018 (EDT)IBThomas
- Hello hello! IB hill (talk) 15:33, 12 April 2018 (EDT)IB_Hill
- Hi, and thanks for the welcome! Excalibur1953 (talk) 20:37, 16 April 2018 (EDT)
hello IB hill..i am a new user..a bit confused how to use it..if there are mistake please for your help IB hill (talk) 14:19, 18 July 2018 (EDT)Maria Lili
- Hi Maria Lili! Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the confusion- editing a wiki can get a little complex. What questions do you currently have that I can help better explain? IB hill (talk) 14:19, 18 July 2018 (EDT)
Hi IB Hill! I asm also new user of Witravel page, now i am submitting one of my friends hotel proprty in WikiTravel, but still not seeing, Could you please check in for me.
Here is updating page & property name called Merciel Retreat & Resort https://wikitravel.org/en/Ngapali
Drop a line below here!
Hello again IB Hill!
Just wanna let you know that I completely understand your points about my edits and I will try to make them smaller and more original. I just want the readers to understand the true experience of the ride through the posts and to give them some advice as to how much time will they sacrifice waiting in line (which is an important aspect of Disneyland). I am happy that you have time to edit what I have done and any change to the best will be very welcome! -From JohnyKaz2078
- Hey JohnyKaz2078!
- Thanks for being understanding and love your perspective with the rides. I just started making some edits to help change the tone and tried making the descriptions more concise. Have a look and let me know what you think. Of course, feel free to chime in whenever! IB hill (talk) 14:48, 6 July 2018 (EDT)
- Hi again IB hill!
- I saw some of your edits and I can say that it looks very good. Thanks for helping me and I will try to make my next edits more original and concise! JohnyKaz2078 (talk) 10:47 7 July 2018 (EET)
- Hey JohnyKaz2078! Sorry for the late response- was busy yesterday but I'm glad you like them. Can't wait to see what more edits you have in store! :) IB hill (talk) 10:22, 10 July 2018 (EDT)
Hello again IB hill!
In response to your comment on my talk page.
Yes, I did make a trip to Auckland in the middle of March. New Zealand quite obviously isn't known for its city life so Auckland itself did not have too much to offer. Although, Viaduct Harbour was a fantastic place to have a relaxing dinner with a nice view and I would highly recommend doing this (I also drank my first legal beer here as I am 19 and live in America). I would recommend getting out and seeing islands if you are only in Auckland as Fullers has ferries that go to a bunch of other islands around Auckland in addition of Rangitoto and Waiheke. If you have more time try to visit more of what the North and South island have to offer rather than just what Auckland has to offer. I highly recommend a longer trip (I know life gets in the way) because there is just so much that New Zealand as a whole has to offer. -BrysonH 6 April 2018
Hi! I don't understand...
...why you have undone one of my edits to the Tirana (Albania) page. I was just adding some missing details like opening times and directions, moving a number of entries for streets, museums, etc. from the DO section to the SEE section where these things should be, and putting the entries into a sensible order (popular attractions at the top of the list). Sorry if I got it wrong, but I don't understand how I broke the Don't Tout policy? Regards, Stuart.
- Hey Stuart! Thanks for reaching out to my page in regards to your Tirana edits. I reverted your edits because I felt the description of the listings were too long and one of them had 2 extra external links to them. Our Don't tout policy states to not add more than one URL and to keep things concise. If you can please fix the page to reflect the policy, that'll be much appreciated!
- Thanks for explaining and replacing my edits. I've made them more concise and removed the extra URLs. Stuart.
Hello IB Hill,
We are considered the top horseback riding company in negril Jamaica, a very exciting & fun adventure tour, and we are also a member of the BHS ( British Horse Society ). We sincerely care about the health & safety of all horses and have been helpful to many local horse owners who cannot afford medications and horse wormers, all for the love of horses.
We have been offering a horseback ride n swim tour for over fifteen years in negril, and if your family or friends are visiting Jamaica in the coming months, we will offer One Free Tour “ in exchange for your review.
The tourism peak season is November to April 2019, and we would appreciate your review as an interest in what Negril has to offer. If anyone is interested in a “ Free horseback ride n swim in the ocean”, or has any other suggestions please let us know at your earliest convenience.
Reggae Horseback Riding
- Hello! Thanks for reaching out to my talk page.
Wikitravel is a free travel guide that anyone can edit. You can check out ourtips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines, how to edit a page and style to help you get started.
Be sure to also check out important information such as the copyleft policy. The owners of hotels, restaurants, bars, attractions, and other businesses catering to travellers are welcome to share information that helps others in their travels however they should adhere strictly to our policies and guidance. Hope this gives you a better understanding. IB hill (talk) 18:02, 23 October 2018 (EDT)
Thank you for your message
Hi, this is Shoestring from ja:WT. Thank you for your message and your cooperation. Actually we have some bugs on ja: pages, which we have already reported to the tech team via Tyen for a long time ago, and unfortunately some of them are still on the back burner.
We want to get some response about them. See User talk:Tyen#Bugs, please. Personally, I think that fixing the "Do not show add" column (or tug) and Wikitravel:Breadcrumb navigation are relatively urgent matters (because it's very much inconvenient). --Shoestring (talk) 08:16, 5 April 2018 (EDT)
- Hey Shoestring!
- Thanks for getting back to me and great to hear from you! I'll take a look at the bugs and keep you updated with what I can do. Feel free to reach out to me if there's anymore issues and I'll be sure to report them for you. IB hill (talk) 11:44, 5 April 2018 (EDT)IB_Hill
Re:Translating Contact Wikitravel Page
Hi, IB hill,
Regarding your request posted on June 30th on my ja: talk page, could you show me the original English text? It is very much easier for me to compare English and Japanese sentences and check it out.
Reading the Google translation, some of the parts of the page sound strange a bit for me, but so far I can't correct them well, because I don't know the detailed nuances of the original message. --Shoestring (talk) 08:20, 1 July 2018 (EDT)
- Hey Shoestring!
- Sorry for the delayed response. I had other projects going on and it was a public holiday yesterday. This is the page I was trying to translate. Let me know if you have a chance to read over it. Thanks! IB hill (talk) 11:11, 5 July 2018 (EDT)
- Thank you for your response. Now I am starting the modification bit by bit.--Shoestring (talk) 09:38, 8 July 2018 (EDT)
Log in error
Hi, this is Shoestring of ja:WT. We seem to have some system error(s) and I can't log in on ja: and en: pages at all, with the message that "There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again. " Could you forward this message to the tech staff and check them?--240B:10:8C40:3300:AD07:7A86:65CF:2D84 08:46, 23 August 2018 (EDT) (Shoestring)
- Shoestring The issue has been fixed! Thanks for your patience. IB hill (talk) 13:58, 23 August 2018 (EDT)
- Thank you for your quick response, now we seem to be able to log in with no problem.
- For your information, from today I am leaving from Japan for about a week to spend my summer holiday. I want to check ja: WT as well as I can, but of course it very much depends on the local internet status. Kindly understand :).--Shoestring (talk) 21:47, 23 August 2018 (EDT)
Hi, I want to put a pagebanner on my page, but when I do, it keeps putting a red Template:userpagebanner link on my page. Could you help me out? Masked Titan (talk) 10:08, 13 September 2018 (EDT)
Does wikitravel have a visual editor? Masked Titan (talk) 10:37, 13 September 2018 (EDT)
- Also, when I try to add a listing, it says my edit is saved, but then nothing shows up!
- Hey Masked Titan! Unfortunately, we don't have a visual editor. Also took a peek at the listing you try to post and the reason why it wasn't showing up properly was because it didn't end it "></see". You were missing the ">" symbol. Hope this explains the situation better. IB hill (talk) 11:04, 13 September 2018 (EDT)
Hi IB hill,
Regarding the Japanese sentence you posted on the "ja:MediaWiki:Copyright", I have a question.
If I try to translate your sentence "特に記載がない限り、内容は$1のライセンスで利用できます。" into Japanese, it would be "You can use our contents with just $1 fee, as long as we have no special instruction on it" or something like that (which sounds a little bit odd for us).
Is it collect? What is the original English sentence?--Shoestring (talk) 07:28, 9 October 2018 (EDT)
- I tried to translate the original sentence (see below. I have no idea whether I could translate of what you want to say well, but at least its much better than the previous one, I believe).
- To help Japanese user to understand the nuance of original text, I myself add some original Japanese words. So please try to re-convert it into English by using the automatic translator and check the nuance. And if you have some problem concerning the translation, please let me know again.--Shoestring (talk) 08:15, 10 October 2018 (EDT)
当サイトの記事に関するテキストは、全て クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-継承 3.0の条件下で使用可能です。画像については使用するものによってライセンスが異なる場合がありますので、詳細については個々の画像に表示されたライセンスの内容をその都度ご確認ください。 当サイトはMH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands 社によって所有及び運営維持されており、著作権は全て当社に帰属します(Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands)。
- Hey Shoestring! I just checked the translation and it looks good. Thanks so much! IB hill (talk) 10:24, 10 October 2018 (EDT)
- OK, so would you please replace the text on the ja: page, since we can't edit "Media-wiki" pages by ourselves.--Shoestring (talk) 08:17, 11 October 2018 (EDT)
- Done! Thanks! IB hill (talk) 10:47, 11 October 2018 (EDT)
Touting / wikipedia
Is making an external linki to wikipedia for an attraction (because wikitravel does not have that page) considered "touting"? Am I supposed to make the wikitravel page for it instead? Aren't some of the other links on the Tallinn page touting a lot more?
Where is the rules page that says what one may do?
--LeedsKing (talk) 06:57, 30 October 2018 (EDT)
- Hey LeedsKing. You can find the Don't Tout policy on this page. Typically, we only allow external links for official businesses and not to another external source. If you want to add the attraction, you can add it on to an existing page or create a new page for it. Hope this better answers your question. IB hill (talk) 11:34, 30 October 2018 (EDT)
Edit Rejected, not sure why
I'm helping a friend list his travel company in various places on the internet, Wikitravel being one of them. I wrote a short section with website link etc on a page (https://wikitravel.org/en/Sembalun), but it was rejected for some unknown reason. His company is reputable, and No1 on Tripadvisor. Please could you assist. I hope to list his company details on a few different pages concerning Lombok & Mt Rinjani.
- Hi Bekky, IBHill is no longer at Wikitravel but I can answer -- we do not allow "ads" on Wikitravel. It is a site for travelers, by travelers. You may want to look up "touting" and also "tips for business owners." IBobi (talk) 15:07, 10 December 2018 (EST)
Could you make a request to IBrands to add a visual editor? Thanks. Masked Titan (talk) 11:25, 9 January 2019 (EST)
- Hi Masked Titan! Welcome aboard. We will indeed add a visual editor as soon as Mediawiki makes it available in a future software version! Also please keep in mind IBHill is no longer replying to questions. You may just want to post them on the Pub! IBobi (talk) 13:25, 9 January 2019 (EST)
Hi IB hill, I have hostel in Chiang Rai Thailand, I want to add information of my hostel in the lists of sleep section in Chiang rai page on Wikitravel but I don't know how to add my hostel and it can be show on sleep section in Chiang rai pages —The preceding comment was added by Stayinchiangrai (talk • contribs)
- Please see listings to learn more about how to add a listing. Any questions like this is best to ask in the Travellers’ pub or on the talk page of the actual article. IBHill is no longer active. Happy editing! Adzas (talk) 04:10, 14 January 2019 (EST)