Hello, GiulioC !
Thank you for your interesting contributions to our London article!
I assume that the reason you were promoted to admin status without going through the usual administration procedure was because you were an admin on the Italian language version of Wikitravel, yes?
Or are you an employee of Internet brands and, therefore, fast-tracked as an IBadmin?
You'll find some of our policies and guidelines different here on the English language version and I'd draw your attention to tour and xl and sh.
To help you contribute, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and our house style.
I assume you already know some of the important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
It was a good idea to create your own user account on Wikitravel because it will now provide you various benefits:
- easier communication with other writers about your edits and travel tips via your very own User Talk Page
- choose to turn off advertising or Orbitz (in your Account Settings)
- credit for your travel writing and edits, which will all be attributed to you rather than just an IP address
- your contributions will become more trusted as you become familiar to other Wikitravellers as a frequent editor with a history they can check
If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. I see you've already started on the never ending task of spam fighting and I'm looking forward to your help with some other admin tasks! --118dot93dot73dot30 16:11, 23 March 2013 (EDT)
- Mmmmm, not a good look for an admin that you don't respond to messages left on your talk page, GiulioC. --118dot93dot73dot30 19:58, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
Hello, sorry for my late reply but I wasn't at the computer yesterday.
Anyway, yes, I will be dealing with the Italian version of Wikitravel. GiulioC 06:32, 25 March 2013 (EDT)
- I left the snippy note because your contributions record showed that you were editing for the hour just after I placed the original query. You should have got an orange message bar each time you completed an edit during that period, telling you that this page had been updated. Also, while logged in, you can change your preferences at http://wikitravel.org/en/Special:Preferences to e-mail you each time you get a new message here on your User talk page.
- Thanks for responding, but you still haven't answered my question:
- Were you promoted to admin status without going through the usual administration procedure because you were already an admin on the Italian language version of Wikitravel, or are you an employee of Internet brands and, therefore, fast-tracked as an IBadmin? --118dot93dot73dot30 15:07, 25 March 2013 (EDT)
My name is Carly and I have been editing the Nong Khai travel page. I realised the first edit/reverse of my additional information to the page and the reason was correct as I did not read the rules first. I have now spent some time editing and rewriting all of the information that I added onto the page, but saw that you reversed it again. I hope now you will see it is all in my own words, and sourced from actual people living here in Nong Khai!
Hey Carly! I saw your new edits, good work! take your time reading our guidelines and don't forget you can always ask me or the other admins for any information! GiulioC (talk) 14:00, 31 May 2013 (EDT)
Copied data from Wikipedia
Hi GiulioC, I recently created a wikitravel page for Swords in Ireland. I noticed that you have removed a lot of information that I copied from wikipedia. Do you mind me asking why? I thought that any information on wikipedia was allowed to be copied under their license. Also, nearly all of the information I copied from wikipedia was information which I put on wikipedia myself. I understand that some of the information is not in your normal style, but my plan was to edit the information to match your style.
Hello! Please take your time reading our policies and guidelines and information on copyleft. GiulioC (talk) 16:06, 17 June 2013 (EDT)
- Hello Royboymaps and Giulio! Let me jump in and answer this question...First of all, Royboymaps, thank you for starting contributing on Wikitravel! We are delighted to have you in our community! Hopefully we will see many edits from you here. Answering your question, yes, it is possible to share text between Wikipedia and Wikitravel, but this should be done with greater caution. Wikipedia and Wikitravel have distinct goals, and forking large amounts of content from one project to the other creates wasteful duplication. Any significant copy-pasting of Wikipedia text to Wikitravel is not encouraged, since we prefer to have lively, non-encyclopedic and original writing with the traveler in mind. In other words, the content that you created on Wikipedia should be rewritten here on Wikitravel. Would be great if you could do that! We are happy to help! let us know if you have more questions! Cheers! IBAlex (talk) 20:56, 17 June 2013 (EDT)
- Hi IBAlex, Thanks for your information. Is there any problems with using the same content on both Wikitravel and Wiki voy? I recently created a Wiki voy page for Swords and a Wikitravel page for Swords. My plan was to put the information I get onto both sites. I put it onto Wiki voy first and then onto Wikitravel. It might look as if I copied information from one to the other, but I actually added the same information to both sites. Is this allowed? Both of the sites have the same goal and writing styles. Royboymaps (talk) 05:50, 18 June 2013 (EDT)
- Royboymaps, it would be great if the new content was only on Wikitravel but we understand if you wish to add them to both wikis. Just keep in mind that Wikitravel gets daily more than 300, 000 visitors and your edits are seen by a way larger audience here. Thank you for contributing! Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 13:04, 18 June 2013 (EDT)
since you recently edited Slovenia page and you're an admin can i ask you if its possible to protect the Slovenia page from edits done by non-logged in users, because someone keeps putting in the 'bums' section which is inappropriate, useless opinion and includes insults ("smug commoners")?
Otherwise we'll keep having to revert those changes indefinitely.
Sloth (talk) 08:11, 3 July 2013 (EDT)
- Hey Sloth! Thank you for letting us know about it. I will jump in and try to answer this question. Yes, admins can protect the page if we see an edit war or repetitive vandalism attempts. However, I suggest to take some other steps first. Please use the Slovenia Talk Page and try to come to a consensus with the IP address who keeps on changing your edits. This is what talk pages are for. Explain your position. You can also contact the other user via his/ her Talk Page. If after that the edit war becomes severe and discussion on talk pages isn't working, we might consider protecting the page. I hope this helps. We assure you that we will also keep an eye on Slovenia page and make sure that all the information written there is constructive and appropriate. Please let me know if you have more questions. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 15:53, 3 July 2013 (EDT)
Thanks for all your good work in reverting vandalism.
However, it's always a good idea to check the contribution record of editors - even IP's - before you use the revert button. You may wish to comment here: http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Talk:Pakistan&oldid=2061988#Telecom_Operators_in_Pakistan , Giulio... --W. Franke-mailtalk 08:45, 9 July 2013 (EDT)
Thank you for reviewing my latest updates on the Ithaca_(Greece) page. I have one question though.
I think that the links where not broken. Do you remove them because the were violating the "Extrenal links" Wikitravel guidelines?
--sVathis (talk) 10:05, 10 July 2013 (EDT)
- Hi sVathis! No, I removed them because I tried to open them and they brought me nowhere...you can try and insert the links again if you want. Cheers! GiulioC (talk) 10:21, 10 July 2013 (EDT)
- This is weird. I double-checked them before inserting them. Seems to be OK. Can you please give it another try by clicking on them on the previous version of the page just to make sure that is wasn't a temporary glitch from your side? Thanks. --sVathis (talk) 10:30, 10 July 2013 (EDT)
- Hey Svathis, sorry for my late reply. I saw you reverted my edit, I checked the links and now they're ok. It was something from my side, who knows? GiulioC (talk) 06:04, 11 July 2013 (EDT)
I'm Italian, too! And yes, I'm planning on editing the Italian page about Rome sometime soon (at present, I think that the English pages come first as they might need some more updates/corrections). Quirite (talk) 11:45, 19 July 2013 (EDT)
Hi, what was the valuable info I deleted? I thought I caefully deleted very little actual information and only moved a few paragraphs around and got rid of some repetition and things in the wrong place (mentioning other ways to get up Victoria peak in the get around -> peak tram section). Other information was out-dated, and other info I thought was said in too long of a way. Other info is of zero use to the traveller, talking about road regulations (not enough travellers would ever rent a car in Hongkong, regardless of how 'rural' they were wanting to go, to need such a big section - in any case car renters should look up official road regs not rely on a wiki) or about seat-belts in taxis (every single taxi has the same sign, there's no need to be told in advance about seat belts, or be told before you arrive that your balance is shown every time you use your Octopus card because this is obvious from first use, describing the MTR map is also pointless as its right there in picture form) or about auto top-up on Octopus cards (you can only use local bank accounts to do this, and we all know about it because the banks here spam us monthly about it until we do it so this is useless to everyone). My view is the Hongkong page is much longer than it needs to be, with non-native speakers written most of it making it hard to read and simply not succinct enough. I'm curious what info jumped out at you as being valuable to the common traveller that I deleted? Help me understand what I'm missing about valuable info at least! LordFabulous (talk) 10:46, 6 August 2013 (EDT)
- Hi LordFabulous! Ok, thanks for explaining your point. Whenever we admins see edits in which a lot of stuff is deleted we try to understand what's going on. In my opinion you deleted some details which could be valuable and the fact that you didn't provide a reason in the summary put me in great difficulty, and those edits could also be misunderstood as vandalism. It happens that we find info deleted for no reason, or just to put some listings before on top of the sections (typical touting). Of course we can't have a full knowledge of all the places on Earth, this is why we ask the users to briefly explain in the summary what they wrote or what they deleted. I hope to see your contributions again very soon! Please feel free to contact me again if needed. Thanks! GiulioC (talk) 08:18, 7 August 2013 (EDT)
- This is a very late reply, but you never said what the valuable info was you felt I deleted. I don't think you really read my edits and compared the new article with the old one. Of course, it's easy to see the byte-count go down so drastically and revert the edits without reading, but as an admin I don't think that is acceptable. As I already said, very little information was deleted, in fact I was making the article more Wikitravel:Tone compliant. I didn't add much information either. If you don't have time to read and compare edits, don't be so hasty to delete them (with or without an explanation). If an editor has to justify every edit (to the page about the city they live in) to admins like you, then there is no reason to contribute again. It takes time to tidy up an article. Even just those few sections I looked at took a while. On top of that, for you to delete everything without asking for the explanation, or even properly reading what were obviously time-consuming edits (see time stamps) I view pretty poorly. I have used this site a lot in the past, and will continue to but while I felt I had a lot to contribute, I don't feel I have the time to risk running into your lazy approach to administration. LordFabulous (talk) 07:35, 8 October 2013 (EDT)
- Hi LordFabulous! Very late reply, I'll go back and take a closer look to those edits since I don't remember very much, sorry. Anyway, I don't want you to feel frustrated nor I want to prevent you from editing, I only asked to provide a simple explanation (really, just a simple sentence on the summary line). As a resident in Hong Kong you may find some info unnecessary and hence you may think about deleting them, but the info could also benefit a tourist who doesn't know anything about the city, so deleting can also be bad for the article. You can also use the HongKong talkpage to discuss with other users who contributed to the article. GiulioC (talk) 09:43, 8 October 2013 (EDT)
- Hello LordFabulous! We all really hope to see your edits again to our Hong Kong article, or anywhere else your expertise finds you suited to (and I see that you visited so many places:) ). As Giulio mentioned above, leaving a short Edit Summary will help us admins faster understand what happened on the page. We would appreciate this small help from you. Happy editing! Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 14:52, 8 October 2013 (EDT)
Questions on Romania content
First off, this was my first edit. I recently saw you removed a few links I added to some Romanian wikitravel pages. For instance, this one (http://www.mersultrenurilor.ro) on the Cluj Napoca page. This was a helpful link a local showed me to look up train times. It list the complete schedule and type of train on each route and is pretty easy to use. I found some other web sites more difficult as they weren't as English friendly. You listed this as a search engine but it is actually the train operator's site? Can you please explain this? Thanks. —The preceding comment was added by User:Rivimont (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I checked the english version of the Mersultrenurilor website and I saw a search engine for train timetables and also for hotels. This warned me and reminded me of our External links policy. Let me know if it's clear, and remember you can always start a discussion on the article's talkpage. This was your first edit, I know that Wikitravel can be tricky at the beginning but you'll see that it's easier than it seems! Warm regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:17, 20 November 2013 (EST)
Thanks for your help
Hello GiulioC, thank you for your help with the Can Tho page. I am working on the page for a long time and appreciate your help. It seems your edits have been reverted by the same person again though. I agree with your touting comments, but I am afraid to involve in an edit and re-edit controversy. Well, if I can help, please let me know. Mario Behling (talk) 23:28, 20 November 2013 (EST)
- Hello Mario! Thanks for your contribution and your support! Don't worry about those touty edits, as an admin I have all the tools needed to handle that! All the best, GiulioC (talk) 03:35, 21 November 2013 (EST)
About that edit
If you don't like the fact that those edits were completely reverted, perhaps you should see what you can do to fix this mess: http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Philadelphia&oldid=2139508 --Sbluen (talk) 14:38, 11 December 2013 (EST)
- Sorry, my mistake. I made another edit on Philadelphia, there was no reason to include a listing that says it has been closed. GiulioC (talk) 03:30, 12 December 2013 (EST)
Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Sorry didn't read the guidelines before posting. I understand you don't want to make wikitravel yellowpage, but it will be unfair to exclude this hotel just because you have others already there. I will edit the description to satisfy the guideline.
22.214.171.124 03:50, 2 January 2014 (EST)Aziz
Hi. you took off my page once. It is for a writing project for my class at URI. I am writing it for prospective URI students too. I understand that you don't think it is important to have a college page, but it is to my class and group. If you want it taken down, I will when the project is over. Until then, please leave it up. As a favor. Thanks. —The preceding comment was added by MarianaURI (talk • contribs)
- Thank you, MarianaURI for your message and interest in Wikitravel. Your page has to be unfortunately deleted as we do not create separate pages for universities. Our articles feature cities, regions, countries and big attractions. We would kindly ask you to respect our rules and carry on with the project on our Kingston (Rhode Island) travel guide where we talk about URI. It makes also more sense for the travelers who mainly search for the specific cities in our guide. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 14:44, 19 February 2014 (EST)
I added a listing on the Zakynthos page very recently but I noticed it was removed because "Accommodation listings should be only in cities pages". So I would like to kindly ask you, where should I place my listing? I am confused because similar listings to mine are still present on the page. —The preceding comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, we would like to have listings only in their cities pages. Zakynthos has many towns/villages (some of them have their page, some others don't) so it would be much better to insert listings there. Take a look at this page this page to know more about how to create a page. If you need help let me know! GiulioC (talk) 10:32, 22 February 2014 (EST)
As some of the diving center's in Phuket, we provide a diving day trip to Racha Yai, Racha Noi, Phi-Phi Islands and Similan Islands.
This is the only reason why I add our listing to that place. If you look, you will see that most of the dive center's are listed in these different wiki pages - dive spots.
But of course I will respect your decision. Please let me know, if I can register our listing of the different destinations we deserves, as the others dive centers do.
Thanks in advance for your reply. (User:All4Diving)
- Hello there! For the "do" section, you can choose one single article where to put your listing and there you can mention the fact that you have so many locations that might be checked on your website (we definitely don't want the same listing added everywhere). Please don't add any listing on the "buy" section, otherwise we should accept also other chain stores (another thing we don't want). Also very important, do not put listings on regional articles, only cities. If you're not ok with this you can always search for supporting votes on the articles' talkpage. We will be checking our pages for other spammy listings and remove them. I hope everything is clear. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:31, 11 March 2014 (EDT)
Agreed on not changing the order. but in the process of moving the content to the previous order, my update on the SCAm sections were removed. Can you revert that part.
Thanks —The preceding comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I'm sorry but your update is all written in first person, please check this page We. Can you rewrite it avoiding first person? Thanks, GiulioC (talk) 05:11, 20 March 2014 (EDT)
Two versions of Hyuga page
Hi thanks for the clarification. I have noticed that there are two pages for Hyuga (Hyuga and Hyuga City), I believe I created the hyuga city page a while back before I realized there was another page. I have edited the Hyuga page, but is it possible to delete the Hyuga City page to avoid confusion? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Cirhyuga (talk • contribs) • 05:05, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Cirhyuga, thank you for the message. It's deleted as requested. Also you need to leave your signature on talk pages by using four tildes (~~~~). --Binbin (talk) 01:56, 14 April 2014 (EDT)
You may wish to comment at Template_talk:PrintDistricts#Printing --Ttcf (talk) 19:05, 15 April 2014 (EDT)
- Done. GiulioC (talk) 03:11, 16 April 2014 (EDT)
I represent Fusion Freediving from Bali Indonesia. You recently removed a number of our posts to various pages associated with your operation. I have read the "Dont tout" guide and have adjusted the language of our posts to suit but one thing that I cannot seem to do is post multiple entries. The thing is we as a company have a facility in three locations here in Bali. I wish to have presence at these three wikitravel locations. What can I do to make this happen?
—The preceding comment was added by Bobthefreediver (talk • contribs)
- Hello Bob! Thanks for your message. there are indeed a few basic rules that apply to Listings. Let's assume you run a surfing school in Kuta, for instance, you are allowed to add a listing on the page dedicated to Kuta, and not on Bali's page, because of course countries, regions and big cities pages would become soon unreadable! Please also note that if your school on Kuta is also a restaurant, it doesn't allow you to add 2 different listings on the same page. Just pick one section and add a line about the other activity. Last thing, there is a rule that may sound a bit harsh, but it is in the best traveller's interest: if Kuta's page is saturated with surf schools, we won't accept no extra listings until somebody well informed removes, for example, outdated info and facilities that have shut down to make some room.
You may also want to check Wikitravel:Guide for business owners. If anything remains unclear, feel free to ask for help, we are at your disposal.
Cheers! PierrB (talk) 02:18, 24 May 2014 (EDT)
- Hi Bob, Pierre well explained the whole thing. I'd like also to point out that your Listings were incomplete: do not write only the name of the business and the url. Address, phone number and other contact details are useful. GiulioC (talk) 13:07, 25 May 2014 (EDT)
Hi GiulioC, thanks for pointing out the various policies governing WikiTravel. I'm a big fan of the website, and wanted to clarify appropriate use of multiple listings. I acknowledge that the same service listed on multiple pages is touting. But I run a business which has distinctly separate teams operating in multiple cities in China. Each team has city-specific expertise (for example, our Shanghai team is aware of Shanghai's local industries which our Beijing team does not have expertise in). What would you then recommend as the best way to ensure visitors to each of these cities are aware of this interpretation service? Thanks! Matt 09:12, 30 June 2014 (EDT)
- Hi Matt, I just answered on your talkpage. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 03:26, 1 July 2014 (EDT)
In reply to "New page" message
Thank you GiulioC. Grazie :)
it is my pleasure to introduce more places in Indonesia, especially the province of East Java where i live.
--Siung99 (talk) 09:02, 21 July 2014 (EDT)
- You're doing very well! Thank you! GiulioC (talk) 09:25, 21 July 2014 (EDT)
Gosh, I'm sorry. That was me in the previous post. I forgot to log in. I guess
Im not yet very familiar with this Wiki.
Anyway, if you will allow me to repeat:
I created a specific section because an e-book (which I mentioned) did not seem
to fit with the "Get to", "See", "Do", "Get Around", "Eat" or "Get out"
Under what section do you think I should post under?
I would appreciate your suggestion. This is the very first time I have ever
posted on any Wiki. :)
Jose Maria N. Ramos
—The preceding comment was added by April thunder (talk • contribs)
- Hello there! Thanks for writing and don't worry about the mistakes, it takes a while to understand how a wiki works. As for your edit, the link is for an ebook to purchase online and this is considered a "secondary source of information", so this can't be considered as a good listing. Please take a look at our External links page. Thanks, GiulioC (talk) 10:00, 21 July 2014 (EDT)
How to separate two tables?
I was unable to find any info on how to separate two tables which are located underneath each other on a page. What I ended up doing was to improvise by creating a single table without a border between the two as a means of inserting a space between them. Without that, both tables merge which looks untidy. Here's the link: http://wikitravel.org/en/Thailand#Get_in
Maybe it's acceptable in its present form, but if not, could you please explain what I should be doing?
Thanks in advance.
- Hello Xircal! Take a look at this page. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:15, 29 July 2014 (EDT)
Hi Gulio, I've already looked at that and I regret to say it didn't help. But the method I used does the job so as long as there's no objections, I'll leave it place.
Reply to edit to talk page
Thanks, I do what I can to a article. Seqqis (talk) 14:11, 31 July 2014 (EDT)
Dan Chang page
Sorry about all the incorrect changes to the Dan Chang page. I set a homework project for my English students to improve/update it and maybe didn't fully understand about how to upload. That's also why some of the writing isn't perfect.
Regarding the photos of the shopfronts, is it OK to have thumbnails to show what they look like? And are the photos of the market OK, or do I need to make them thumbnails?
Sorry for all this hassle. I thought it would be something a bit more fun for them than normal homework without fully realising the additional work for admins etc.
Banhan3 (talk) 01:05, 3 August 2014 (EDT)
- Hello Banhan! It takes some time to fully understand how Wikitravel works, don't worry. We're here to help and encourage our users, and we're looking forward to see more contributions from you and your students. As for the pictures maybe this page can help you. As a general rule, there's no need to add a picture for every single business. You can use thumbnails, and I also suggest you this page for more info. If you need help just ask! Warm regards, GiulioC (talk) 08:43, 3 August 2014 (EDT)
Editing obscure articles
Thanks for pointing that link issue out to me. I'm new here and am glad you like the edits I made. Jrunna runna (talk) 18:16, 6 September 2014 (EDT)
- Hello! Don't worry about those mistakes, it takes a while to fully understand Wikitravel...and we're always here to help you! I see you've been very active, very good edits, thanks you! Regards, GiulioC (talk) 12:13, 7 September 2014 (EDT)
Hi GiulioC, thank you for the welcome! I am still getting to grips with Wiki markup, so please let me know if this comment should be edited differently! --BritishZen 14:21, 2 May 2104 (GMT)
Hi. Giulioc, thanks, I am learning Wiki, hope I can help. Agustinllanes 09:35, 24 September 2014 (EDT)
- Hi Giulioc, I have been posting for Rio San Juan, Nicaragua, Boca de Sabalos and El Castillo could you tell me if if according to your guide line, or if i must change something. —The preceding comments was added by Agustinllanes (talk • contribs)
Thanks for writing for wikitravel. I appreciate that. I add an entry about an hotel which in my view (among other travelers) is a good choice in this city. Removing it is not democratic and seems to me that because one is already in there the other doesn't deserve a place. On which ground do we do that. First comes first rules? That's not very wiki like. Yes it's not a yellow page but surely this is not the criteria. The criteria should be:
1 information should be accurate.
2 information should be objective.
3 information should be as complete as possible.
'Yellow pages' argument fails to comply with 1 or 2, thus is not a valid criteria.
Criteria 3 is perpendicular on the 'yellow pages' argument.
Could you please elaborate on your decision. Meanwhile I re added my entry.
With kind regards,
Robert Nagtegaal. —The preceding comment was added by Masikh (talk • contribs)
- Hello Robert, inserting a listing in an article where there are already dozens similar doesn't benefit the traveller nor the article itself, there is no need to have 30 restaurants/bars/hotels listed. And as I already stated in the summary we don't want WT to become the Yellow Pages. That's why sometimes we delete listings. If you want you can start a discussion on the pub about this topic, express your ideas and maybe find a way to improve Wikitravel. Do not hesitate to contact me again. GiulioC (talk) 12:57, 25 May 2014 (EDT)
- Hi GiulioC,
- My hotel listing was also removed on the same basis. Your reasoning to not make a Yellow page yet you still advertise over 15 hotels in each category doesn't justify it. You cannot be biased here, and what if the users are not happy with the selection of hotels there, they have the right to see the entire selection which is available in the relevant category. I added the following
- (cur | prev) 12:38, 11 August 2014 GiulioC (Talk | contribs) . . (103,917 bytes) (-615) . . (removed external links and a hotel listing: there are already many hotels listed in the article, we don't want WT to become the Yellow Pages)
- I'm IBcaldera an admin on this site, too. First of all, I do want to apologize for the confusion. Giulio is correct, we try to avoid overloading sections with listings. This can be a particular problem when it come to hotels and more specifically chain hotels. Unfortunately, we aren't an avenue for businesses we are an avenue for the cities. Sites like tripadvisor and yelp are great for promoting specific businesses and the great experiences they offer. A while back we chose to go with oldest listing first - if that listing were to close or be found of tricking/harming our travelers it would be removed. As it stands - if you see your listing removed with the reason of "Yellow Pages" just remember we can always discuss a general solution on Wikitravel:Travellers' pub and that we're doing our best to uphold a delicate balance on travel guides. I encourage your feedback! Best, IBcaldera (talk) 14:33, 14 August 2014 (EDT)
can you give me some advise on how to submit the listing in this site? because this is the 1st time i submitting article on website and i have no idea how to do it in correct way... thanks
Your user name or IP address has been blocked.
The block was made by GiulioC. The reason given is Spambot.
Start of block: 09:32, 11 September 2014
Expiry of block: 09:32, 11 September 2015
Intended blockee: Ashley84
You can contact GiulioC or another administrator to discuss the block. Your current IP address is 184.108.40.206, and the block ID is #157758. Please include either or both of these in any queries. —The preceding comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Hello Ashley. Sorry for the mess, I thought you were just another spambot. It was all my mistake and I deeply apologise for that. I unblocked you and left a welcome message on your talkpage. You will find many useful links to help you contributing to Wikitravel. Anyway, if you need help feel free to contact me and I will reply asap. Warm regards, GiulioC (talk) 07:46, 11 September 2014 (EDT)
thanks for your advice. i will go through the guideline and contribute my hostel information to page. If i made any mistake, please forgive me and let me know which part i need to amend. Thanks~
Location for listings with a multi-district service area
No problem on the reverts, I will move those listings to the appropriate district pages. Question though - what do I do with businesses that are located in one area, but have a service area that spans multiple districts? For example, a flower shop or a tour company might service or tour the entire city of Austin. Should those go in 1. multiple districts 2. the root /Austin wiki page or 3. only in the district where they are headquartered?
Jptastic (talk) 23:44, 19 November 2014 (EST)
- That's an excellent question and I would encourage you to pose it in the Pub whatever answer you get here. --Ttcf (talk) 00:07, 20 November 2014 (EST)
- This is definitely a Pub discussion since it's about our listings policy. GiulioC (talk) 04:16, 20 November 2014 (EST)
Good catches with all those Indian touts! --18.104.22.168 20:59, 5 December 2014 (EST)
Puzzling edit summary
of: "we'd like to have only original content on WT".
Would you like to say where you think the useful material you removed came from? I've done a Google search and the 40 hits were all scraper sites that had scraped the text from Wikitravel!
--22.214.171.124 04:34, 9 December 2014 (EST)
- I found this one. GiulioC (talk) 04:37, 9 December 2014 (EST)
- The useful original content can NOT have come from there, since that Wikiversity article was only started at the beginning of January 2014 (and presumably based on the Wikitravel material you removed), whereas our material had been added at least 8 months before that in 2013!
- Unless you can give better reasons than that, I shall restore the material you deleted. --126.96.36.199 16:26, 9 December 2014 (EST)
- In case it is original content, it should be tolerated, as as sure I would skip this piece of information if I were to prepare my trip to this region. We are not trying here to compete with Wikipedia about comprehensive knowledge. My suggestion would be then to copy this text to the Filipino phrasebook instead, with a descriptive sentence (and a link) in the page in question. So everybody would be happy, both the average traveler and the dialect seeker. PierrB (talk) 03:28, 10 December 2014 (EST)
- If it's original content then it's fine. But that part is more a linguistics debate and as a traveller reading the article I would simply skip it. So, in my opinion it should be moved to the Filipino phrasebook page. GiulioC (talk) 03:35, 10 December 2014 (EST)
- I would also move the text to the Filipino phrasebook or the Philipines article, but not leave it in this article. Adzas (talk) 11:03, 10 December 2014 (EST)
"In case it is original content" ?!?
Unless you can indicate precisely why you think this isn't original content, then I'll assume your silence means acquittal.
Traditionally, almost the only good reason for NOT linking to sources such as Wikipedia has been to try and make an incentive to encourage original good creative writing here. Consequently, it's rather ironic that when someone creates a useful exposition about a relevant topic for culturally sensitive travellers, the first thought is to assume it's stolen from elsewhere and then, when that proves to be false, seek to remove it in an effort to "dumb down" this travel guide.
It's pretty obvious to anyone that actually reads this material why much of this material would be entirely inappropriate in the (wrongly named?) Filipino phrase book in the same way an explanation about why Welsh isn't actually English would be inappropriate in an English phrasebook or Kurdish in the Arabic phrasebook! Please remember that there is a (partly language based) political independence movement for the Visayas and Cebuano-speaking Mindanao that is at least as strong as that for a homeland for the Kurds or that instrumental in the successful creation of the Welsh Assembly.
Numbers of mother-tongue Cebuano speakers vary depending on whether you include Bisaya varieties such as Boholano and Davaoeño or not, but they certainly outnumber all the mother-tongue speakers of Armenian, Bosnian, Buryat, Chechen, Croatian, Estonian, Faroese, Icelandic, Ingush, Irish, Kalmyk, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Romani, Romansh, Slovene, Tongan, Tuvaluan and Welsh put together!
If you guys from Italy, France, and the Netherlands really can't understand why visitors to Cebu might want to know why it's not necessarily the greatest idea to learn Tagalog prior to their trip to the Visayas, then I'm obviously wasting my time contributing to this travel guide. --188.8.131.52 21:25, 10 December 2014 (EST)
- I already stated my opinion: that content is a linguistics debate and should be moved to one of our phrasebook pages. The same content could also be summarized in a few lines. GiulioC (talk) 05:58, 11 December 2014 (EST)
- Yes, I´m puzzled....I quote the text that was removed that you want re-included in the Cebu article 184.108.40.206 (talk): To this day, Tagalog is by far and away the main grammatical and lexical basis for the official Pilipino language. So why would it be inapropriate to include this in the Filipino phrasebook? Since only 2% of the population in Cebu seem to speak Tagalog, just a mention would be sufficient, the rest as stated above seems more appropriate in a phrasebook. Adzas (talk) 09:38, 11 December 2014 (EST)
Please do not edit lake toba get in,because this information about transport very important to traveller who comes to lake toba,especially our country indonesia,please help our area about information for they trip,because to lake toba hard to find information about transport.thank you
—The preceding comment was added by Indomaret (talk • contribs)
- Hello. I'm sorry for reverting your edit but you should take a look at our listings page. GiulioC (talk) 12:23, 11 December 2014 (EST)
Snow Report for Kyrgyzstan
I noticed that you deleted the part of the information that I had added about snow report for Kyrgyzstan. I'm aware that linking to secondary sources should be avoided, but the fact is that there is no primary source about snow report in Kyrgyzstan. However, the country have 23 ski resorts and is great for skiing.
Therefor, I think that the information is valuable and will help to promote tourism in Kyrgyzstan.
So please understand that this is not Italy, we don't have a strong ski federation, and government do not provide any official snow report. I wish it is ok if I revert the information. Otherwise, please explain me why there is other links on the page, linking to commercial organization.
Jade —The preceding comment was added by Nomadjade (talk • contribs)
- Hello Jade. Sorry about deleting your edit but that link was also offering tours and booking services and this is against our guidelines. GiulioC (talk) 11:31, 21 December 2014 (EST)
Hello, just courius why have you deleted my post on Poreč sleeping about two villas near my location? —The preceding comment was added by KMance (talk • contribs)
- If you're talking about this it's because I suspect touting from a rental agency. GiulioC (talk) 10:15, 6 January 2015 (EST)
- Yes, that one. how can I show you that that is not touting? Because i have put them there and for sure Im not some agency :). I see Valamar listings there that are biggest rental agency in Istria...—The preceding comment was added by KMance (talk • contribs)
- I'll have a deeper look on this. In the meantime you can take a look at our rental page to see how we usually deal with such listings (another thing is that the villas you added don't look like they're actually in Poreč). You can always use the article's talkpage and start a discussion and see if we can reach a consensus. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 06:06, 7 January 2015 (EST)
I have seen that nothing have changed, so i would like start discussion how can Valamar have its listings, but others can not on Poreč sleeping. Can you please give me the link where can I start discussion. Thanks —The preceding comment was added by KMance (talk • contribs)
- Hello, you can follow this link and you will start the Poreč talkpage. GiulioC (talk) 11:11, 28 January 2015 (EST)
Hello, thank you very much on link, so I have now started discussion thread on Poreč KMance (talk) 06:13, 3 February 2015 (EST)
At Bagan Hostel
I see you have removed the addition I made to Bagan today because you think that there are too many hotel listings on the page, but our hostel is the only one in the Bagan region and so it is not like just another business. Knowing that a hostel is available is likely to increase the number of budget travellers coming to the region and save them a lot of money if they were going to come anyway!
We have only just opened and would really appreciate being able to put ourselves on the page to show that there are cheap options in the town.
At Bagan Hostel —The preceding comment was added by Tomrc86 (talk • contribs)
- Hi Tom, sorry I deleted your edit. I just re-checked it and put it back as it really seems valuable. My mistake, sorry again. Feel free to add information to Bagan page! GiulioC (talk) 05:15, 2 February 2015 (EST)
Gili Trawangan hotel listings help
I was wondering if you'd like to help me do a quick clean up of the hotel listings for Gili Trawangan. Budget has way too many listings IMO, mid range possibly also. Splurge has one or two that should be in mid-range (Dream Villa's). I'd appreciate your input in getting the quality of the article back to the days before most admins migrated to wikivoy! Cheers - Natataek (talk) 09:47, 16 February 2015 (EST)
- Hello! I agree with you, Gili Trawangan needs to be cleaned up a little bit. I'd focus on the Budget section and keep only those listings that have not only a phone number but also email and website since these are more likely to be used by a traveller from another country. GiulioC (talk) 03:32, 17 February 2015 (EST)
- Thanks for the tips! I have slimmed down each section to 6 listings, based on the fact that budget and mid range each contained only 6 with urls and email addresses (for budget i allowed url only as a condition as only a couple had included email). I removed dream village from splurge as it doesn't qualify in terms of price range and facilities and added a couple that do. Natataek (talk) 08:34, 17 February 2015 (EST)
- The page now looks definitely better! Thank you! GiulioC (talk) 08:38, 17 February 2015 (EST)
You previously deleted hours of work on the Beijing article, returning it to an overloaded and inaccurate state. The speedy deletion was against policy, because my work was cancelled without discussion. You've asked for time to think, but now over a week has passed and it's time to provide further details about the issues you want to raise, using your experience of Beijing. Note both the policy and the current consensus is for going ahead and improving the article. Lawe (talk) 16:28, 21 February 2015 (EST)
- You're doing a great job and the Beijing article definitely needs to be improved. But I'm waiting for feedback from our Admin in China, he surely has a better knowledge of the city than me and he may suggest something useful. GiulioC (talk) 11:26, 22 February 2015 (EST)
You deleted the post on Mombacho Lodge in the "Do" section. If it is because it contained reference to commercial establishment, you need to check on the rest of that section. I was in fact surprised that this section contains so many direct promotions.....some not just listings, but blatantly commercial ad with testimonials, etc. (Surf Lodge and San Christobal Eco tours as just two examples). After reading them I put up Mombacho Lodge. So, what gives? it is a LOT less commercial than the others.....just a short blurb not 200 words.
Before I start editing out all the commercial posts on this site in places where they do not belong, let me know what you are doing and why.
Mombacho Lodge is in the National Reserve area, works with the Reserve, and being the only place to stay there is a real asset to the park.—The preceding comment was added by Atz (talk • contribs)
- You already inserted your listing (twice) in the Volcan Mombacho page. Inserting listings on multiple pages is considered touting. GiulioC (talk) 03:42, 23 February 2015 (EST)
Nusa Lembongan - Get In Cleanup
Looking at the get in section on the Lembongan page, it seems a bit of a mess. Any ideas on trimming the fat and making it better? I'm thinking alphabetizing and reducing the listings by only mentioning the better/safer carriers. I'd prefer to get some feedback from you again first before i plunge forward ;) Cheers. Natataek (talk) 08:27, 15 April 2015 (EDT)
- Hello there! First of all, the map should be moved to the right just like any other pictures in our articles. After that I'd check every listing to see if those businesses are still active (if not remove those out of business) and then I'd probably keep the better/safer ones as you suggested. What do you think? Regards, GiulioC (talk) 10:18, 15 April 2015 (EDT)
Thanks for your comment and review.
However, to let you know I've got this information from a brochure of the museum and not from the website. And this museum is very attracting and I think that we need to let people know about this.
I'll write about it in a more personnal style.
Regards, —The preceding comment was added by Salimtb007 (talk • contribs)
- Hello! Pay attention next time, I found the content you added here: http://dadumuseum.org/en/about/museum/ Regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:07, 24 April 2015 (EDT)
Change of provinces in Emilia Romagna
thank you very much for the changes in that page, I'm sorry I wasn't following the correct usage, beacuse i thought it was the same as the Wikipedia one. thanks again —The preceding comment was added by Oztom (talk • contribs)
- Hi Thomas, no problem, it takes some time to fully understand how Wikitravel works. I read you live in Vicenza, have you considered contributing to our Italian Wikitravel site? I'm the admin there, hope to see you soon! Regards, GiulioC (talk) 08:43, 24 August 2015 (EDT)
Eat places removed from Roatan because they do not exist
Two places removed from Roatan page EAT section because they do not exist.
Hungry Munkey - has not existed for 2 years.
Rendevous Sushi - has not existed for 3 years.
If I knew HOW to give reasons for deletion, I would do so, but this is not clear.
I have no idea how to message you either. —The preceding comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, when you go on the edit page you'll see a "Summary" field below the edit field. That's where you give a (brief) summary of your edits. And you can message me here, that's what users' talkpages are meant for. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 03:56, 29 December 2015 (EST)
Removal of anti-cafes and time clubs section from Yerevan page
I've noticed you removed the Anti-Cafes & Time Clubs from Yerevan's page. I was wondering what is the reason. This is a new format introduced in Yerevan and I believe it needs its own section since anti-cafes and time clubs are not cafes, nor restaurants. It's a unique format of a public space which combines different elements. Putting it under the section "TO EAT" may be very confusing, since there is no food served there, and it's just tea/coffee and biscuits. There were two places like this in Yerevan, but one was closed about a year ago. I think it needs to be listed under a separate section not to mislead people. Cheers, Arty. —The preceding comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs)
- Hi Arty, if it has only tea/coffee and biscuits then it looks more like a bar so it should go under the "Drink" section. Anyway, we don't allow single businesses to have their own sections. Please take a look at our Listings policies and also where you can stick it. If you want you can also start a discussion on the travellers' pub and share ideas with other users and admins. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 03:40, 4 February 2016 (EST)
- Hi GuilioC. Thank you for your reply. I see. Well, but it also does not much the bar & pub description, since as I mentioned it's a combination various formats - co-working place, board games, tea/coffee/biscuits/photo & art exhibitions, music events and many other. Besides, I've seen other section on Yerevan page which has only one business listed under it. Anyways, if you think it's fine to list it under Drink section. Thanks again. Best regarts, Arty.
Hello,i recently added some new updates on this article about Mogadishu City Somalia but some of the
Pictures which are my own work are oversized and article needs some resizing..please help
Mogadishu http://wikitravel.org/en/Mogadishu#Get_in —The preceding comment was added by BillBancroft (talk • contribs)
- Please have a look at your talk page. --Binbin (talk) 02:21, 8 May 2016 (EDT)
Pictures from Wikimedia commons not displayed
Hi there, I think the pictures you removed in articles are affected with a bug as some users reported the pictures from Commons to fine, some are not. I've contacted Wikitravel to fix this problem. Please fix this bug. GoldenRainbow (talk) 07:05, 4 February 2016 (EST)
- Hey GoldenRainbow, we had a similar issue a few weeks ago with pictures taken from Commons. I'll try to restore them as soon as possible. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 08:58, 4 February 2016 (EST)
Pune - Editing the By Car section
My edit to the by car section of the Pune article adding a listing for Vasa Cabs was deleted with the reason - "sorry but there are already many similar Listings, there's no need to add more, WT is not the Yellow Pages."
Vasa Cabs is a premium cab hire service in Pune. Our service (even our website) is better than some of the ones already listed in the article. There are also some duplicate listings - http://www.easycabsindia.com/ and http://www.ecabsin.com/ are one and the same company - even their logo is same. Can you please allow me to add our service in lieu of the duplicate entry?
—The preceding comment was added by Vasa (talk • contribs)
- Hi Vasa, you can remove the duplicate listings and add yours in alphabetical order. Just remember not to write in first person and give as much contact details as possible (email, url, phone number, street address). Thanks, GiulioC (talk) 12:12, 14 March 2016 (EDT)
- Done. Thanks GiulioC.—The preceding comment was added by Vasa (talk • contribs)
The links are small travel agents with around 10 Car. Users of WK need to call them up for any booking.
We kiraye.com, co-operating with Local Taxi Associations, bringing all Taxis/Cabs/Cars online with possibility of customer booking online on demand or advanced. We are in the process of uploading 350+ Cars in Tirupati, Tirumala.
I am not sure if you have similar link the Travel Section. Please consider and review when you find some time.
Thank you and Best Regards
Kiraye Team (Madhav) —The preceding comment was added by Kiraye.com (talk • contribs)
- Hi, please check our External links policy. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 09:49, 19 April 2016 (EDT)
I contributed some material about Favignana, Sicily, but that was undone. I myself wrote it in conjunction with my wife Mariella. Is there some problem with the content?
Thanks —The preceding comment was added by Luminosityitalia (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I'm terribly sorry for the very late reply. Anyway, the problem with your content was that it appeared on other websites and here in Wikitravel we'd like to have only original content. Plus, as far as I can remember, there was something with the Tone of the text that needed to be adjusted. Again, my deepest apologies for replying so late. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 03:50, 20 May 2016 (EDT)
03:02, 18 May 2016 (diff | hist) . . (+602) . . Southern Laos (Undo revision 2402734 by GiulioC (talk))
Could you elaborate on why you edited and Undo on this page?
03:02, 18 May 2016 (diff | hist) . . (+602) . . Southern Laos (Undo revision 2402734 by GiulioC (talk))
Anousone —The preceding comment was added by Bee-in-champasak (talk • contribs)
- Hi, please check our External links policy and keep the pictures on the right side of the article. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 11:24, 3 June 2016 (EDT)
sorry about me not finding a section to leave additional notes upon editing that page. I wasnlooking for something like that, but... well, i am totally new to wikitravel and just dont really know how tondo that.
Regarding my changes on the page: the mentioned kaunas lodgement has been put back to use and is actually a actively used military area. Since signs are in lithuanian only and the fences are not that impressiv, this could get people into real trouble. Thats why this should urgently be removed from the "urban exploration" section. —The preceding comment was added by Garnienicht (talk • contribs)
I totally understand why the text is rejected. The only thing I am wondering, why the other Kite School (Grey) can be presented like this?? To be fair the other school must be rejected as well.
—The preceding comment was added by Kathi0907 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I'm sorry for the late reply but I don't understand why the other kite school should be removed as it doesn't break our rules. Take a look at our don't tout policy, you can always rewrite your listing according to our rules and add it again. Also, please remember to sign your posts on discussion and talk pages with four tildes. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 11:21, 2 September 2016 (EDT)
What is your reason for deleting my pages? --OormanFromBajan (talk) 07:33, 26 October 2016 (EDT)
- Hi, you haven't even responded to my message. Could I have a response? This seems like racism towards the Bajanese and Greslandi culture, as you have deleted those pages with apparently no sufficient reason. --OormanFromBajan (talk) 09:37, 26 October 2016 (EDT)
- Because I really don't understand what that place is and where it is (or should be). GiulioC (talk) 09:57, 26 October 2016 (EDT)
- North America. --OormanFromBajan (talk) 19:30, 26 October 2016 (EDT)
- Where exactly? GiulioC (talk) 03:49, 28 October 2016 (EDT)
Yes, I'm working on it and day by day when I have more time I try to make it better and more detailed. I wanted to get it look like something at least, because I was working hours with it.. With a poor Internet connection. Longdale2016 (talk) 05:33, 4 November 2016 (EDT)
Fake and Wrong information
As the owner of Yasna Traditional Guest House, and write of Varzaneh page article in wikitravel, I noticed the information provided is fake. The Varzaneh page has been modified, and edited several times, and provided fake information. What can I do?
Please kindly help me to fight the spams. —The preceding comment was added by Mohammadjavad (talk • contribs)
- Hi, feel free to edit the page and restore the info. We'll try to pay more attention to that page to prevent further vandalism. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 06:02, 14 November 2016 (EST)
Thanks a lot Giulio! And sorry that I could not get back to you earlier. It is truly heart-warming having supportive admins! Thanks for being in touch, and thanks for checking out the page time to time. —The preceding comment was added by Mohammadjavad (talk • contribs)
Hi... Can you recommend this to mount Merapi page [[* Menir guide merapi, ☎ +62 813 44855232 ([email protected]), . Mount Merapi trekking. edit]] (Http//www.facebook.com/ardi.keling.94 16:00, 7 December 2016 (EST)) Http//www.facebook.com/ardi.keling.94 16:00, 7 December 2016 (EST) —The preceding comment was added by Menirguide (talk • contribs)
- Hi, sorry I can't do it, that's not what us admins are here for. I can only ask you to read our policies. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:28, 9 December 2016 (EST)
Question Regarding WikiTravel Rules
I noticed that you removed a number of listings for Country Inn we added. I just wanted to check which rule (or rules) of WikiTravel.org I violated in order for the listings to be removed. We would really like to have the listings stand as all the information I added is accurate and up-to-date, so we would like to understand what we should do in order to have the listings stand and help people find the information.
Thank you in advance! —The preceding comment was added by Countryinncarlson (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I removed some of your listings because of their description. They all sounded like an advert which is against our don't tout policy. You find the link on your talkpage as well, take your time and read it carefully and let us know if something's not clear. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:13, 23 December 2016 (EST)
Questions regarding removal of listings
Can you please let us know why several of the listings we added for Country Inn & Suites this week were removed? We did not include descriptions or otherwise "tout" the hotel. The listings we added only contained the basic contact details for the hotels, and I do not believe we have violated any of WikiTravel's guidelines. Is it possible to have our listings restored?
Thank you. —The preceding comment was added by Countryinncarlson (talk • contribs)
- Hello, there are many reasons why I reverted your edits. First of all, our goal on Wikitravel is to create a free and reliable travel guide for travellers, not some kind of Yellow Pages where business owners can add every single branch of their business (and that's what you've been doing so far, this is considered touting). Other reasons why I reverted your edits are because you added listings on regional pages (and we'd like to have them only in cities' articles) or because there were already many hotels listed (again, we're not the Yellow Pages). Please remember to sign your messages on talkpages and the Pub with ~~~~ . Regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:43, 26 January 2017 (EST)
Hi, a few days ago I made a long list of changes to my town as I realized some of the information are not friendly enough to travellers. I'm a traveler myself so I added useful details to the article. But it all got rejected. Can I know why?
I'm not running any business and giving details on times and dates for certain transportation is because it is not easy to get the details unless you know someone local. Please advice as this is my first time contributing to wiki travel and want to contribute more. Adoreonline (talk) 15:32, 7 April 2017 (EDT)
- Hi, I will investigate the issue since I don't remember doing anything on that article. Meanwhile you can read how to edit a page. Regards GiulioC (talk) 04:15, 8 April 2017 (EDT)
impractical deletion of activity
Hi GiulioC, I have added walking tours by yo tours which is a great experience for budget travelers in indian cities, they have these tours in Pune,Jaipur and Delhi at the moment and are expanding to multiple cities in india. The listing has been removed on multiple occasions which is not practical, i believe wikitravel is a community that supports the travelers in exploring the best in a city and such walking tours are doing a very good platform for it. Before rejecting a thorough assessment must be made at your end and this is immensely disheartening.
If an activity is available in multiple cities then will not wikitravel list it?? Wikitravel is a city guide platform, in pune the listing of free walking tour has been removed stating that it matches the heritage walk, these are two completely different experiences. I can understand wikitravel's concern about quality of activities posted, however at the same time rests a responsibility with wikitravel that if a person who is contributing to add something which is value addition to the travelers, is not continuously harassed by simple mentioning dont' tout.
Kindly advise as to how such value added walks can be listed without getting rejected for multiple cities, I personally love walking tours and all the walks i contribute have been personally taken by me. —The preceding comment was added by Ava2011 (talk • contribs)
- Hi, the main reason why your edits were removed is that they were against our don't tout policy: they were added on multiple pages and referring to the same company. Please take a look also at our tour policy. We value our users' contribution but we have rules to follow, if you're not happy with our policies and think they need to be changed in some ways you can start a topic on the pub and discuss the issue. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 11:50, 31 May 2017 (EDT)
- Hi GiulioC, I have noticed that in Pune, heritage walk has been listed, even though it is also a walking tour, the policy should be uniformly applied on all, having said that I am not asking to turn down their listing. I appreciate the policy but it must modify with time, considering the practicality, wikitravel should understand that it is a self-guided tour platform and walking tours are guided tour platform, both are different and guided tours does not conflict with wikitravel because taking a walking tour does not restrict or encourage a person from using wikitravel any less, rather if a person explores a place on a walking tour that he has earlier seen listed on wikitravel, it provides him a reassurance of the quality and depth of wikitravel guides.Even lonely planet lists walking tours and so are all the other travel guide providers, it is a shame that with a fear of competition (which is actually not in reality) a portal like wiki travel is not passing on all the relevant information to the travelers about what and how to explore the city. I don't think i will ever promote wiki travel to travelers anymore, it is not uniform for all! —The preceding comment was added by Ava2011 (talk • contribs)
- When we see listings that go against our policies we remove them, but it's also true that sometimes some listings get unnoticed. If you think your tour has an added value, has something special that travellers could not fulfill on their own you can also discuss it on the article's talkpage. I hope this helps, regards GiulioC (talk) 03:33, 2 June 2017 (EDT)
Hi GiulioC! You removed the rating of a restaurant on Koh Phi Phi, that I changed. While I agree that taste is subjective, a lot of the other restaurants have a rating of their food as well. Why not remove it, too? And I think the volume of the music is objective and deviating from the norm enough to be mentionable. Can you please link the guidelines of Wikitravel regarding this? Thanks! 22.214.171.124 10:24, 20 June 2017 (EDT)
- Hi, you can read our Be fair and Avoid negative reviews policies. I will check again that article, it needs a bit of cleaning... Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 10:36, 20 June 2017 (EDT)
- Thank you for the links. I have to say that the recommendations are very useful. 4/5 restaurants we tried on the list were really good. While objectiveness is a good thing, something will be lost if only neutral facts remains. 126.96.36.199 12:00, 20 June 2017 (EDT)
I am from Switzerland. Reading Russia pages I find that most of what is written reflects situation that is outdated, e.g." good hotels are difficult to find, lively Hitchhiking culture and popular coutch surfing, tipping encouraged".
All of this does not correspond the reality!
I also find that most of political commentary and tips on behaviour are motivated by antirussian propaganda. I used to live in Russia in 1990s. I also travelled across Russia multiple times in recent years, last time April this year. I find references to corrupt policemen and youth criminality, outdated by at least 10years.
To my mind wikitravel should offer an unbiased view, provide objective information. Instead I see pictures titled with tonque in cheek mockery about Stalinist regime, only severe weather conditions, counterfeat products, lengthy outated visa procedures.
Please reinstate my changes. I am a serious contributor with no intention to politisise or deface content of wikitravel pages
Thank you very much.
Kind regards, Alex —The preceding comment was added by Abraveheart (talk • contribs)
- Hi Alex. Whenever we admins see edits where huge parts of articles are deleted without any reason in the comment field we usually restore the deleted content. We can't have full knowledge of every single place on Earth, that's why we ask our users to provide a brief explanation about their edits (and I just saw you did it, thank you!). Feel free to edit the page! Regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:27, 3 July 2017 (EDT)
why are my picture thumbs not showing . I am trying to replace or add new photos into Russia page from the wikishared or a direct upload.. One picture of a church appeared fine. The others , only description field is showing. —The preceding comment was added by Abraveheart (talk • contribs)
- Hi, I just fixed the issue (".jpg" was missing). Take a look here. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:31, 7 July 2017 (EDT)
My name's Arkhat, I'm from Kazakhstan, and I'm working in a travel related area. We've conducted couple of customer researches recently and had various findings, on of them in particular being - lack of info on country in English. WikiTravel, Lonely planet and such do provide some basic info, but what we've found is that this basic info is enough when you travel to places like Iceland or New Zealand, in other words, more developed and common to Westerners :) But when you come to Kazakhstan, there's a bit more you need to know.
So, we've decided to come up with content which only we - locals, can produce, various details and hints. We've created a newsletter of 7 letters, structured and constantly updated with information, which is too niche for for wikitravel. For example, I kid you not, last week we've received an e-mail from a customer from California, asking is it safe to come to Kazakhstan if she's openly gay, should she conceal her orientation or better not come at all.
We want to place a link to our newsletter on Kazakhstani page, but we couldn't find specific rules about it. It is said in rules that we can't place links to information sources with same info, but when there are details, that are too much for a Wikitravel article, but still - essential, are we allowed to do it?
See the website for yourself and let us know, or publish it yourself.
Drop me a line if you with at [email protected] —The preceding comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs)
- Hello Arkhat, thanks for your question. My suggestion is to try and update our Kazakhstan page with as much information as you can, we'd like our users to stay on Wikitravel rather than looking for info somewhere else. We'll be more than happy to have some experts (like you seem to be) to update our pages, but please do not simply copy and paste from other websites. Let me know if you have any other question, and remember that you can always start a discussion on the Pub and try to get the community involved. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 08:46, 24 July 2017 (EDT)
Thanks for your response, we'll think how can we improve the page :) —The preceding comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs)
- Glad to hear that! Meanwhile have you considered creating a user account? Regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:51, 25 July 2017 (EDT)
inquiry about my edit in paris page
Good day to You!
I've used this service and found that they provide a very professional service and my intention was to let the other travellers know about this. I agree this is not yellow pages but their prices are comparatively lower than some companies listed mentioned therein. So don't you find we should list the most useful services rather than listing some random ones? I can vouch for this company reliability. Let me know
KellyBrooke (talk) 02:40, 9 October 2017 (EDT)Kelly
- Hi Kelly, the reason why I removed your listing is that we try to keep taxi/airport transfers lists as short as possible (that's the yellow pages thing) and also because in the past adding and removing such listings led to edit wars on other pages. You found this service reliable, some other user may disagree with you and remove it, then you might add it again and so on, and this would not be helpful. We appreciate your edits, you've been contributing actively for the past few months and I hope this won't stop you (I'm sure you have much more to add to our pages). Please remember that if you're not satisfied and you think our policies and guidelines should be changed you can also start a discussion on the Pub. Kind regards, GiulioC (talk) 04:25, 9 October 2017 (EDT)
Someone is keep spamming Varzaneh page! And deleting some listings. The listings are constantly getting reviews, and is accepting guests. I have been trying to "undo". What should I do? Any other solution? Can you please help me with this?
- Hi Mohammad, sorry for the late reply. We'll pay attention to Varzaneh page and remove all vandalism/spam. We hope there will not be an Edit war. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 02:57, 28 November 2017 (EST)
Level 2 protection for Wyoming page
Hi it seems like that troll with an ip keeps using an ip generator software or site to evade his ban and continue to blank areas of the safety section. Please consider my suggestion to put protection on it to allow only registered editors to make changes to the pages and ban all the harmful ips for the page. Thanks.2600:1:F11C:2AD9:2093:A661:E381:2E06 15:13, 9 February 2018 (EST)
- Hi, sorry for the late reply. Adzas has protected the page, I'll do my best to keep an eye on it. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 05:11, 12 February 2018 (EST)
Hi GiulioC (talk
Thank you for your message about the photo I added to Bedouin Star in the Nuweiba page
I understood that I need to add a photo by wikitravel shared
When I started to investigate in Wikitravel shared, I was thinking to delete the strange picture error in wikitravel for Bedouin Star.
If I check now in Nuweiba, north of Nuweiba, Bedouin Star beach is not present anymore
Could you please advise, how to add Bedouin Star and if I can add my photo with a wikitravel shared file?
Thank you User:Bedouin Star
Hi GiulioC (talk
I found your message, sorry I am not a good writer that is why I took the text from the website, I will try to write something from my own experience. Thank you for your comment. I hope it is ok to add my photo via wikitravel shared, if not let me know
Have a beautiful day Renata User:Bedouin Star Unfortunatelly cant find out how to add a photo with wikitravel share to the place, if you have a link to a how to, I will be happy. To be honest the photos of Nuweiba does not make the place look as beautiful as she is, if you like I can give you some photos —The preceding comment was added by Bedouin Star (talk • contribs)
- Hi Renata, you can upload pictures with our Upload Wizard on WT Shared. This way the uploaded pictures can be used on every version of Wikitravel. Regards, GiulioC (talk) 08:58, 17 February 2018 (EST)
Just wanted to say hello on your user page while practicing going around Wikitravel. Love how you live in Venice. Never been but will definitely think of you if I have any Italy-related questions. Feel free to say hi on my page! IB hill (talk) 17:26, 28 March 2018 (EDT)IB_hill
Hello again! Saw how you were making some edits on Uig- how unique! Have you ever visited the village before?IB hill (talk) 13:30, 4 April 2018 (EDT)IB_Hill
- Hi! I visited Skye but didn't go to Uig, maybe next time.. GiulioC (talk) 03:10, 5 April 2018 (EDT)
Please let me know how to contact you. You should do more research or ask the editor/poster some questions before assuming information was copied. I am on Assateague Island National Seashore every day. The information I shared was information that I wrote. You also have incorrect information about legalities and incorrect information about the horses. —The preceding comment was added by Beached Paws Photography (talk • contribs)
- Hi, on Wikitravel we'd like to have original content only, created by travelers for travelers, not just a copy/paste from other websites. Two exceptions are: you're the original author; the content is in the public domain. I found the same content you added on Assateague Island National Seashore here and here. Whenever we admins find such things we tend to remove them. GiulioC (talk) 09:17, 11 June 2018 (EDT)
Tobatransporter not touting.
Already 10 years on that page for lake toba.
And already confirmed by adzas.
Please not remove that transporter.
Important information for our medan local tourist.
Tobatransporter Medandriver (talk) 06:20, 9 September 2018 (EDT)