I'm 20 years old, from the Netherlands and a student of English language & culture. I want to see the world.
I try to speak English at a native level. Should you have any comments about my language or use of language, please tell me!
Next to the languages shown at the right side here, I'm currently learning Arabic. Should be good. Not even at a beginner's level, so it's not there yet.
I'm a docent for Nijmegen, where I live, and for the Netherlands as a whole. If you have any questions about Nijmegen or its surroundings, or about the country, please plunge forward and drop me a line on my Talk page or send an e-mail to adriaan (at) oplosser (dot) com.
|| This user is able to contribute with a near-native level of English.
|| Deze gebruiker heeft Nederlands als moedertaal.
|| Cette personne peut contribuer avec un niveau moyen en français.
|| Dieser Benutzer hat fortgeschrittene Deutschkenntnisse.
|| Este usuario puede contribuir con un nivel básico de español.
I have been to these countries:
- Netherlands - (d'oh)
- Belgium - a few times, but never really on holiday
- Germany - countless times - the border is only a five minute cycling trip from my house!
- France - two or three times
- United Kingdom - been there about 10 times, only once to Wales, twice to Scotland, remaining visits were to England.
- Ireland - once
- Spain - twice
- Andorra - once
- Czech Republic - once, but I only visited Prague
- Poland - once
- Greece - once
- Italy - two or three times
- Luxembourg - once, but not really consciously
- Switzerland - only for driving through it towards Italy
- Austria - but only crossed the border for an hour or so :)
- Morocco - once, stayed in Marrakech, visited Essaouira and the Sahara
- Thailand - once, visited Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Kanchanaburi, and did some jungle trips as well.
- Cyprus - once
I would love to visit these places any time soon (or less soon):
- Madagascar - I think it's fascinating!
- Guadeloupe, British Virgin Islands and most of all Trinidad and Tobago. Those Caribbean places really have something to offer.
- Suriname, go and discover the heritage the Dutch left - and the unharmed rainforests. Like to visit Guyana and French Guiana too at the same time to see the similarities and differences.
- Botswana, unique culture, Gaborone seems a fascinating city.
- Svalbard, a bit closer to home but still far away from everything.
- Norway as a whole, for that matter. Would especially love to visit Tromso.
- Iceland, a beautiful country.
- New Zealand, such a diverse land.
- India, but certainly Varanasi. And continue to Bhutan afterwards!!
- Malta for the beautiful architecture and much more.
- Cyprus - nice blend of cultures.
- Myanmar - locked away from the outside world for so long, I want to see what it's really like.
But eventually I'd like to have visited all countries of the world in my entire life - not sure that's a reachable goal but I can always try.
A specific goal I set for myself is to go and explore all British Overseas Territories, see what British culture and language I can find there: I think all of them would make perfect holiday destinations.
- Tristan da Cunha, top of the list for me, but it's going to take a while until I've saved enough money for that. :)
- Ascension Island and St Helena
- Pitcairn Island - Absolutely fascinating!
- Bermuda - Ahoy!
- Anguilla, Montserrat, British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands and the Cayman Islands. Yes, I could lie on the beach there, but I can certainly also enjoy the island spirit there!
- Falkland Islands. Interesting recent history, and spectacular wildlife.
- Gibraltar, a bit closer to home, may be able to visit it soon :).
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia on Cyprus. Want to visit Cyprus anyway, so I can also just visit these two villages while there, I guess.
- British Indian Ocean Territory - Okay, this is going to be difficult. Not sure I'm prepared to become some member of the military first.
- British Antarctic Territory - even that is more realistic :). I can handle this and it looks like a rather adventurous thing to undertake!