Discussion on defining regions for Upper Bavaria is in progress. If you know the area pretty well, please share your opinion on the talk page.
Upper Bavaria (Oberbayern) is the heart of Bavaria. It's a magical place of deep forests, beautiful meadows, winding roads and jagged peaks. Oberbayern is full of festivities. Every few weeks there is another annual Fest or event. The best time to visit would be August and September when the weather is most predictable and the beer gardens are in full swing. The folks in this region have a good balance of hard work, socializing, playing and just relaxing. But don't expect to notice this all in a quick visit, you need to stay for a while to really understand.
- Munich (München) — the capital of Bavaria, known for the annual Oktoberfest.
- Ingolstadt — large city with gothic and baroque architecture styles.
- Bad Reichenhall — a small spa town in the alps near Salzburg (A).
- Berchtesgaden — ski and summer resort in the southeast near Salzburg
- Dachau — site of the first Nazi concentration camp in Germany and a nice old town worth seeing
- Erding — famous for "Erdinger Weissbier"
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen — see the highest mountain in Germany (Zugspitze) at this ski resort south of Munich; it has also hosted the Olympic games
- Oberammergau — famous for painted houses, wood-carved sculptures and the decennial passion play
- Rosenheim — a small city in the southeast of Bavaria near the Alps
- Starnberg — wealthiest town of Germany that has a very beautiful lake.