Upper Austria (Oberösterreich) - as the name implies - is a federal state of Austria.
Best arrival place is Linz as it is a transportation hub (car, train, airport).
It is easiest to travel around Mühlviertel by car.
Public buses called Postbus are available to get you from one village to another, prices are reasonable, but schedules can be infrequent.
- Schärding is located in the region of the Innviertel area close to the border with Bavaria, the Baroque town of Schärding is a truly extraordinary place. Its architecture is a mix of many styles and periods, the highlight probably being the Baroque “Silberzeile” row of houses, an astonishing ensemble of Baroque buildings []. Rich market traders used to live there, lending its name to the place because they had pockets full of silver. The late-medieval colors of the old gates, the narrow and mysterious side streets – all this makes Schärding such a very special place indeed. In summer, it is mainly cyclists that flock to the town, while winter is a perfect time to enjoy the peace and quiet near the River Inn, with a beautiful river esplanade where you can relax and unwind. Or else you could take a beautiful, insightful walk through the old town center and try to imagine what life in the Middle Ages must have been like.
- Lake Wolfgang is considered to be the most scenic lake in the Salzkammergut, framed by true mountain personalities. 13.5 km² large and up to 114m deep, Lake Wolfgang has a catchment area of more than 125km². Together with the Mondsee lake, it is the warmest bathing lake in the Salzkammergut (up to 26°C) and freezes shut in front of St. Wolfgang during the cold winter. It really is an experience to glide over the wide ice surface of the lake on skates.
- The Mühlviertel is north of the river Danube. It is a very hilly area and is well known for agriculture, it is very rural and there is no industry.
- Aquapulco. Aquapulco Adventure Water Park. Five fantastic waterslides, a pool with wave machine, flow channels, an own mini water world and much more.
- If you like to try different meats and a hearty farmer's meal try Bauernschmaus.
Upper Austria is a region article, so all individual listings should be moved to the appropriate city articles, and this section should contain a brief overview. Please help to move listings if you are familiar with this region.
- Wellnesshotel Winzer, Kogl 66, A-4880 St. Georgen im Attergau, ☎ +43(0)7667/6387, . edit
Upper Austria has no violent crime at all. Beware in cities such as Linz and Hallstatt, where pickpocketing incidents have occurred.
Crime levels in Linz have increased within the last 3 years. Take special care at train stations, where crime levels have been increasing as well.
Western Upper Austria always gets battered with Storms - especially in the summer. A major storm that struck Austria in 2008 destroyed a large chunk of forests - the damage is still visible in some areas today.