Universal City is in Los Angeles County, California and is the home to Universal Studios Hollywood theme park, City Walk, and the world's largest motion picture studio.
Universal Studios  was established at this location in 1915 by Carl Laemmle. Following an acquisition by MCA (Music Corporation of America), staff accountants suggested that a studio bus tour of the massive backlot and a stop at the commissary would boost profits. The famous backlot tram ride at the park today is a direct descendant.
In 1964, the humble tour was expanded to include staged events that are similar to the Wild West stunt show which closed in 2000. In the 1980s a large scale, motion picture themed amusement park evolved to accompany the tour.
In the 1990s, the extremely innovative City Walk was unveiled, an entertainment/shopping center that redefined the concept of an urban mall.
Universal City is just four miles south of Burbank's Bob Hope Airport and about 45 minutes to Los Angeles International Airport.
Universal City has its own exit from the 101 Freeway traveling northbound from downtown Los Angeles. The 134 freeway can also take you to the Universal City area by exiting Cahuenga or Lankershim Blvd and turning southbound.
Take Metro Rail Red Line to the Universal City station. Universal Studios Hollywood provides a complimentary shuttle between the station and the theme park, or you may walk.
Getting around Universal City is not a serious matter. Universal Studios Hollywood theme park is the primary tourist attraction in the city. Citywalk Hollywood next to it offers over 65 venues of shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Each of the two nearby hotels (Hilton Universal City and Sheraton Universal) have additional bars and restaurants available to experience.
- Universal Studios Hollywood.  The tram tour of the backlot is still the heart and soul of the park. See the sets from Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Austin Powers, and many more. The theme park is also first rate. You can enter Universal Studios for free and skip the ticket lines with the Southern California City Pass.
- City Walk is located outside the gates to the theme park and is free, other than parking. Feel immersed in a comic strip - over-the-top colorful architecture, talented street performers, dozens of restaurants (all price points), novelty shopping, an IMAX theater, and a NASCAR simulator. The outdoor "mall" is usually packed on weekends and summer nights, which adds to the energy and atmosphere.
- Ride the movies at the many film-based attractions (complete list here: ) at Universal Studios. The ones that absolutely shouldn't be missed are:
- Studio Tram Tour
- Revenge of the Mummy
- Jurassic Park: The Ride
- The Simpsons Ride (replaced Back to the Future: The Ride in 2008)
- Shrek 4-D
- Terminator 2 3-D
- CityWalk has a wide range of entertainment options.
- CityWalk Cinemas  Stadium seating, surround sound, and digital projection.
- iFly Floor Skydiving Experience the thrill of falling from the sky - without even leaving the ground!
- Jillian's Play all the arcade games you want or sharpen your bowling skills.
- NASCAR Motor Speedway  Virtual reality car racing will really blow you away.
- Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal CityWalk hosts concerts from time to time.
City Walk has many fine retailers, a perfect place to find your ultimate Southern California souvenir.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, 1000 Universal Studios Blvd Suite 114, Universal City, CA 91608, ☎ +1 818 753 4867, . Seafood restaurant edit
- Daily Grill, 2500 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505, ☎ +1 818 840 6464, . Bar & grill edit
- Hard Rock Cafe, 6801 Hollywood Blvd Suite 105, Los Angeles, CA 90028, ☎ +1 323 464 7625, . edit
- In-N-Out Burger, 3640 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90068, ☎ +1 800 786 1000, . Hamburger restaurant edit
- Wolfgang Puck Catering, 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, CA 91608, ☎ +1 818 254 5042, . Restaurant edit
- Starbucks, 3242 West, Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90068, ☎ +1 323 876 8032, . Coffee shop edit
- The Roof, 3341 Cahuenga Blvd W, Los Angeles, CA 90068, ☎ +1 424 438 9888, . Lounge edit
- BLVD Hotel & Spa, 10730 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604, ☎ +1 818 623 9100, . edit
- Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, 555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Universal City, CA 91608, ☎ +1 818 506-2500 (fax: +1 818 509-2058), . Hotel edit
- Holiday Inn Express North Hollywood, Burbank Area, an IHG Hotel, 11350 Burbank Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91601, ☎ +1 818 821 8031 (fax: +1 818 821-8032), . Hotel edit
- Sheraton Universal Hotel, 333 Universal Hollywood Dr, Universal City, CA 91608, ☎ +1 818 980-1212 (fax: +1 818 985-4980), . edit
- Hollywood Right next door by way of the train or the highway.
- Orange County Take the Red Line to Union Station and transfer to Amtrak or Metrolink.
|Routes through Universal City