Unawatuna is a small beach resort village in Southern Sri Lanka.
The real live Unawatuna lies inside of Route A2 Galle - Matara main road. Unawatuna is located just 5 km south of Galle. The original village where it all started, Yaddehimulla, you turn off the main road just before 122 km Post. The motor-able, tarred road, a kilometre in length, brings you to the best area of Unawatuna with all the guest houses, homestays, restaurants, hotels, internet cafes, tuk-tuk stands, boutique hotels etc. There's two turnoffs - the turn off farther from the 122 km post leads to the far end of the beach with more hotel and restaurant options.
Most of them are on the world wide web with their own websites. If you search on any major search engine with keywords like Unawatuna, Unawatuna homestays, etc. you will find a host of sites offering varied style of accommodation.
Unawatuna is 150 km from Colombo's Bandaranayaka International Airport in Katunayaka. The journey through busy Colombo roads take over 3 hours by private vehicles. South bound on Southern Expressway will take over two & half hours from BIA Katunayaka to Unawatuna or Galle. the expressway will be extended to the airport by 2014.
Most hotels and guesthouses offer an airport pick-up service for a hassle-free quick get-away (10000 rps).
Travelling from Colombo downtown to Galle and Unawatuna. Catch the Matara-train (with ocean-view) and jump off in Galle (takes almost three hours, 220 rps) and take either a tuk-tuk (400 rps) or local bus (21 rps) from Galle to Unawatuna. Recommended from Colombo downtown to Galle are aircon mini-buses that take three hours as well (350 rps).
Public transport from Bandaranayake International Airport to Colombo is available just outside the airport.
There is also a recently introduced direct bus service from the Hill Country which stops at various locations along the south coast including Mirissa and stops at Unawatuna before terminating in Galle.
There are 4 ATMs in Unawatuna, along Galle/Matara Road by Commercial Bank, HNB, Bank of Ceylon and Union Bank.
Bank of Ceylon opened a branch [on 09/20/2018]in Unawatuna near Eramudugaha Junction with ATM and Foreign Exchange facilities. The NEW Commercial Bank ATM is just a few meters towards Galle from Wella Devala junction. Another Combank ATM is near the Cement factory near Dewata Bridge. Next is HSBC bank located on Marine Drive Route A2 heading towards Galle. All banks in Galle Town or Fort and Koggala have ATMs.
The easiest way to get around is by tuk-tuk. Day trips to Dutch Fortress in Galle (200 Rupees one-way), Martin Wickremasinghe Museum in Koggala, Hikkaduwa (1,000 Rupees one-way), Mirissa (900 Rupees one-way), Ahangama can be fun on a tuk-tuk.
Deal with the driver, make sure there are NO hangers on, or you will be taken for a ride.
They can be hired for the whole day, just the trip or to be dropped off some destination. Most of them can be contacted by mobile phone.
Get an idea of their charges before hand.
Longer trips and round tours can be arranged with car or vans. Sunrise Tours near the Wella Devalaya got well maintained cars and vans.
Public transport trains and air-con buses are the cheapest mode of transport.
There is a regular public bus service to and from Galle's main bus-station. The 5km journey takes 15 minutes for 21 Rupees. From here you can get buses onto Colombo (bus, luxury-AC minibus (approx. 350 Rupees) or using the express service (which uses the new express highway) (approx. 500 Rupees) or any other destination north along the A2. Galle train station is next door to the bus station.
- Japanese Peace Pagoda, (2 km from Unawatuna). A gift from the Japanese, this amazing pagoda is well worth a visit. To get there you can take a 3-wheeler or to walk (20 minutes) follow the road through Unawatuna (away from the A2) until you reach the small t-junction. Turn left to return to the western tip of the beach and the temple, turn right for the pagoda. Continue up the hill, following the clear signs for Jungle Beach. The pagoda, and the rocks further along the track, offer amazing sunset and wildlife photograph opportunities. edit
- Jungle Beach, (3 km from Unawatuna). A small beach lost in the the jungle. This is the best place in the area for snorkelling, with easy access to the water and a sheltered bay from the stronger waves and currents in Unawatuna. Access by boat, by tuk-tuk from Unawatuna or alternatively follow the directions to the Japanese Peace Pagoda, continuing along the track towards the sea. edit
- Turtle Hatchery, Matara Road, Habaraduwa (About 3 km south of Unawatuna). Day time. A hatchery run by individuals just off the Beach to conserve turtle eggs laid on the wide long beach stretching all the way to the hotels in Koggala. Hawksbill, loggerhead and green turtles nestle here. 400 rps. edit
- Yatagala Raja Maha Viharaya, Yatagala Unawatuna (Turn off at Eramudugaha junction), ☎ 091 2222199. Day&Night. Ancient Buddhist Temple built by Sri Lankan Royalty dating back to 2300 years when a sapling of the Sri Maha Bo Tree in Anuradapura was planted here during the reign of His Majesty Devanam Piyatissa. Donations accepted. edit
- Vision Lanka Tours (Sri lanka Round Tours), No: 110B Eramudugaha Jun,, Unawatuna (Galle Road), ☎ 0094777855985, . 8am - 8pm. Unawatuna is one of nicest beach in Sri Lanka. From Unawatuna lot of unforgettable excursions begins. * Jungle Beach , Old ancient temple, Peace Pagoda * Koggala lake, Stilt Fisherman, Boat Safari, herbal Gardens * Fishing Tourwith catamaran, Spice Garden * Galle Fort, Silk factory, Moonstone Mine, * Tea factory, Whales Watching, Snake Farm These are the several tours that you can start from Unawatuna, We are based on unawatuna and well established company that conducting a office as well. Visit or contact our office for further details edit
Sea Horse Divers, Address, ☎ +94 77-6277622 ([email protected]), . One of the many diving centres on the Unawatuna beach, good instructors, possibility to dive for people without license with a discovery dive. 25€ per dive. edit
The coral reef allows to discover beautiful fishes and seashells. Snorkels and masks can be borrowed in guesthouses or diving centres.
Unawatuna bay is safe for swimmers. On the left side of the beach, where you can most likely see only the AuroSwim students practising, the reef comes close to the surface, and a strong wave can potentially make an inexperienced sea swimmer hit the coral, which is dangerous. From the middle of the beach (Unawatuna Beach Resort area) it is safe to swim to the rock island, however climbing the rock island itself might be dangerous and is not recommended. It will take you one hour or more to go and come back. Giant but friendly sea turtles might pop up close to you.
Take a boat ride to see the local reefs. In off-season, expect high-pressure sales and reneging of struck deals followed by demands for extra cash.
- Sri Lankan cooking classes, Sonja Vegifood (Ysddehimulla Road). Cookery classes for Sri Lankan food is conducted by Karuna at Sonja Vegi Restaurant [Upstairs]. Make a booking the day before edit
The streets and beach of Unawatuna offer dozens of places to buy jewellery, clothing, art and other souvenirs.
In Unawatuna most guest houses have their own restaurant business. All over the beach and inside Unawatuna town you will find places to eat delicious seafood, rice and curry, vegetarian menus, rotty, Italian food etc. Recommended:
- South Ceylon Restaurant. Paradise for vegans / vegetarians. Wonderful service, reasonably priced organic food. http://www.southceylonrestaurant.com
- Peacock restaurant. Comfortable place with affordable food and the best sea views.
- Unawatuna Beach Resort - for those who prefer extended buffets.
- HOT ROCK on the beach Sea food, Burgers, cocktails
- Coral Lite Rice&curry specialist
- Bedspace Kitchen, Egodawatta Lane (hidden away near where the beach road meets the main road), ☎ +94 912250156, . Bedspace Kitchen hosts contemporary Dinner Parties 3 times a week in there outside garden and kitchen. And also serves simple fresh Lunch food and snacks duruing the day. edit
At the main road there's a place serving egg kottu for 200LKR, and in front of the road to the train station you can get fried rice with chicken for 150LKR and rice and curry for 120 LKR. For these same dishes in Yaddehimulla road they will try to charge you at least 600 LKR.
- Riddim, Matara Road, ☎ +94 9112242015 (, [email protected]). Restaurant and bar located at the east end of the beach. A bar for the fans of world and reggae music. Parties organized on Wednesday and Sundays. edit
- Kingfisher, beach party on Saturdays.
- Happy Banana, disco party on Fridays.
- Lucky Tuna, also located on the beach.
You will find a huge amount of nice guesthouses and hotels in Unawatuna. Guesthouses and hotels on the beach are usually the most expensive and they become cheaper if you move away from the beach.
Just walk in. Many resorts are almost empty (as Dec 2015) and you can bargain nice rooms for 1000LKR.
- Villa Baywatch, Rumassala, Beside the Peace Pagoda of Rumassala (on the Jungle beach road), ☎ +94 777 872581 ([email protected]), . This is a newly built luxury private villa. Just five minutes down the pathway from Villa Baywatch is the secluded and unpolluted “Jungle Beach” to take a dip in the waters of the Indian Ocean. It has 5 well-appointed , beautifully designed air-conditioned luxury rooms with attached bathrooms, private entrances, free wi-fi and TV. edit
- BlowHole Guesthouse (Kumara), Yaddehimulla Road (Leading up to Wella Devalaya), ☎ +94 777 14 7697, . Blowhole Restaurant & Guest house is run by a friendly ancestral family from Unawatuna. It takes it's name from the "Huumwala" or "blowhole" that was located behind on the Rumassala Hill. In the olden days water from the Indian Ocean sprayed from this spot. edit
- Rock House, Yaddihemulla, Unawatuna, ☎ +94 2224948 ([email protected]), . Very close to the beach. Located on the hill, facing to the beach, quite and peaceful environment. Free wi-fi. Hot shower. 20 rooms. King-sized beds and private balconies. Small library. Friendly family run business. You will feel at home here. 1500 - 2500 LKR. edit
- Ocean Hill, K.A. Arjuna, ☎ +94 912224827 ([email protected]). Cheap guest house located 100m from the beach. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is very good. There is no hot water. 1500 LKR (breakfast included). edit
- Sadhana Birdhouse, 212/A, Yaddehimulla Road (5 minutes along Yaddehimulla Road.), ☎ +94-912224953 ([email protected]). checkout: 12 Noon. The Bird House is a beautiful guest house set back from the Unawatuna beach offering a warm welcome from a friendly Sri Lankan family. The rooms are spacious and clean with an attached bath room and balcony. $10-25. edit
- Surfcity Guesthouse, Unawatuna beach (close to Unawatuna beach resort), ☎ 0094 9122 46305 (www.surfcity1.net), . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 12 Noon. This hotel is not in the beach but has beach views. So if you want to relax on the beach better opt for other hotels. If you want cheaper accommodation then this hotel is a good option. Cheap rates, clean, friendly staff. Three types of spacious rooms with beach-sight verandas: 1. basic double rooms, 2. double rooms with a.c. and hot water, 3. luxury suites. Breakfast, lunch and dinner available at extra cost. Free internet and wi-fi service. from Rs 1500. edit
- Upul Guesthouse, Unawatuna Beach Road, western part (Close to Hot Rock Restaurant). The Guesthouse is located on a small rock, the restaurant facing the sea. Fan and a/c rooms of different quality, the cheap ones without a window smell like dog shit. The more expensive ones also smell of dog shit aroma but have great sea view and are good value. Friendly touchy-feeley owners, free WTF in restaurant and some of the rooms, good food for a reasonable price. from Rs 1000. edit
- Bedspace Guesthouse, Egodawatta lane (in the grounds of Bedspace Kitchen), ☎ 0094 716119562, . Bedspace Guesthouse is a food lovers place to stay. They Focus on fresh Breakfasts and an interesting Garden edit
- Hostel Unawatuna, Off Heenatigala Road, Susimawatta (Take Heenatigala Road off the main Matara road at Unawatuna Post Office, past the railway station (across the tracks) and take the second left with the big orange 'Hostel Unawatuna' sign. Its 700m down this small road (well signposted) on the right (near Villa Mangrove).), ☎ +94774688699 ([email protected]), . checkin: 0700; checkout: 1400. Hostel Unawatuna is set in the surrounds of tropical paradise with palm trees, mangrove forest and a lake! Unawatuna beach and all the downtown amenities are reachable on foot or by short tuk-tuk. comfortable shared lounge, self-catering kitchen, free high-speed Wi-Fi and a large garden with bonfire pit, sun beds and barbecue facilities. Modern and comfortable fan-cooled tepee style private rooms and modern dorm rooms, all with clean, shared bathrooms and free all day breakfast included. BBQ and bonfire nights are common. from Rs 1500. (6.024635,6.024635, 80.254094) edit
- Heaven on Earth, (A short walk from the main beach but tucked away from its traffic), ☎ +94-0779166935 ([email protected]), . Charming cottage owned by a very friendly local family. Bandu and his family opened their B&B 20 years ago, and it's set in a tropical garden with cozy, jungle surroundings. edit
- Sea Breeze Guest House, (One-minute walk from the beach), ☎ +94-149318974 ([email protected]), . Nice clean private rooms with attached bathrooms in a garden setting. Backpacker budget friendly(<US$10). Friendly and helpful owner. edit
- Strand Homestay, 218, Yaddehimulla Road (800 Meters along Yaddehimulla Road.), ☎ +94-912224358 ([email protected]). checkin: Any Hour; checkout: 12 Noon. Home-stay Strand is not a traditional hotel or a guest house, but a home-stay in a traditional ancestral Sinhalese family home. $15-50. edit
- Sudu Surfing Cottage (oposite to the bus stop, nearby Dalawella Beach Resort), 36/2 Matara Road A2, Dalawella, ☎ +94-776970649 ([email protected]), . A new brand wood cottage a few meters away from a nice beach. All facilities: hot water, internet access, food. Run by a local family. edit
- Coco Bay Unawatuna, 10/4,Roomassala Road, Roomassala, Unawatuna Beach, Unawatuna, Galle, ☎ (+94) 91 2250560/1 ([email protected]), . CoCo Bay Unawatuna is a luxury resort located in the beautiful beach Unawatuna. The resort has 17 rooms and suites in total from 5 room categories. Other facilities at the resort includes restaurant and bar. The hidden private beach at the resort is ideal for the visitors to have the perfect beach holiday. (6.027533,80.242338) edit
- Cantaloupe Levels, Bona Vista Road, Rumassala, ☎ (+94) 917510570 ([email protected]), . Cantaloupe Levels is a hotel situated on Rumassala headland hill in between Galle and Unawatuna on the low-lying southern coastline of Sri Lanka. The property consists of 9 rooms, 1 restaurant, and a bar. (6.017629,80.239560) edit
- Cantaloupe Aqua, 127 KM Post, Palutugaha Junction, Habaraduwa, Talpe, Sri Lanka, ☎ (+94) 917200500 ([email protected]), . Cantaloupe Aqua is a hotel located in Talpe, Unawatuna in the coastal town in Galle district of Sri Lanka. The hotel is located 130 Km from the country’s commercial capital, Colombo. (5.994489,80.294083) edit
- Mirissa [25 km to the east, on Route A2 close to the Southern tip of the island] More low-key and unspoilt beaches than in its bigger brother Unawatuna. It's also the base for whale watching.