Uijeongbu is a city in Gyeonggi. Television buffs may recognize the name as the location of the fictional 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital in the TV sitcom M*A*S*H (though the actual show was shot outside Malibu.)
Uijeongbu is just north of Seoul, so travelers can take the subway or bus to get to the city easily. Costs are very reasonable.
- Take Subway Line 1  and get off at Uijeongbu Station.
By airport bus
From Incheon International Airport
- Airport-Uijeongbu Station, (Bus Stop 8B, First Floor), ☎ 82-31-840-1625, . You can take three different bus routes. Airport-Dongducheon, Airport-Uijeongbu, Airport-Jeongok. You can check the departure time from the Incheon International Airport Homepage. 11,000won/person.
By public transportation
In South Korea, the public transportation system is highly developed. You can get to anywhere you want by the bus or the subway. It is best to buy the T-Money card. You touch the card on the sensor when you get on and off the bus. Since the fare is charged by the distance you traveled, it is important to touch every time. If you forget, you may be charged a lot of money. Also when you using the T-Money card, there is an advantage. During the transfer between the subway to bus or bus to other bus, the machine automatically charges you as transfer, which saves you some money on the trip. This card is available at any subway stations and some bus stations.
You can easily find a taxi around the city. Especially, there is the taxi stand in front of the Uijeongbu subway station. The basic price is 1,900 won and after that the price go up by 100won/39s or 100won/164m. You can use cash or credit card as your payment. If you need to call a taxi then you can call one of these numbers:
- Mangwol Temple, Mongwol Temple, Howon-dong Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, ☎ 82-31-873-7744, . Built in 639, this temple has very high historic value. Many of great saints stayed at this place and still this place preserves the beauty of old buildings.
- Surak Mountain, Located at the board of Uijeongbu city (Take the subway line number 7 and get off at the Surak-san station), ☎ 82-2-950-3888, . Since the mountain is located at the boundary of Seoul, this place is very famous for mountain climbers. There are several different climbing courses available. Also the transportation to the mountain is very convenient.
- Wondobong Mountain, In Pukan National Park, . Wondobong Mountain is located along the Pukan Mountain. There are many places for recreation and also many restaurants.
- Uijeongbu Jeil Conventional Market, 160, Uijeongbu-dong, Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, ☎ 82-31-846-2617, . 8:00AM~9:00PM. Jeil Conventional Market is the traditional form of Korean market. The market is surrounded by Green Road, Jungangro, Tapyongro and Toegyero. It has Four different buildings and each building has many different stores such as restaurants, food markets, clothes and home equipment. You can walk from the Uijeongbu Subway station. It is not recommended to bring a car because Green Road doesn't allow traffic. There are public parking lots around the conventional market. Usually price of parking lot is 1,000won/30min.
Budaejjige is the spicy stew made with Spam, sausages, ramen noodles and kimchi. It can also be called the army's stew because people first started to eat this after Korean War and the ingredients such as Spam and sausages were from the U.S. army camps. Since the city contains many army camps, Budaejjige became a famous food that represents the city.
- Odeng Restaurant, 220-58, Uijeongbu 1-dong (Located at Budaejjige Street), ☎ 82-31-842-0423, . 8:30AM~10:00PM. A very historic place where all the servers are old ladies. It has unique atmosphere compared to other restaurants and the Budaejjige is great!! 6,000won/person.
- Hyeong Nae Restaurant, 220-56, Uijeongbu 1-dong (Located at Budaejjige Street), ☎ 82-31-846-4833. 9:00AM~11:00PM. This place is also located at the Budaejjige Street. This place is also famous and have little different taste from the Odeng Restaurant. There are not many choices at the Odeng Restaurant, but you can find different types of Budaejjige at the Hyeong Nae Restaurant for example you can add extra cheese or bacon on your stew. 6,000won/person.
Galbi is the grilled marinated beef ribs. It is well known food internationally. Galbi is not hard to find any Korean style restaurant all over the world. In Uijeongbu, there is several different places that are famous for Galbi. Galbi is considered as the special food for special day. It costs are usually higher than other foods but it is worth to try.
- Gamagoll, 764-4, Singok-dong (Located in front of 2nd Gyeonggi Government Office), ☎ 82-31-877-5000, . Gamagoll is the franchise restaurant therefore there are several other locations in the city. However, this place is the newest building and easy to find because it located in front of the government building. It is not necessary to make a reservation during week days but it is good idea to make a reservation for weekends. Reservation can be made on the online. 32,000won/person.
- Mia's, Uijeongbu. Nice little bar just outside of Uijeongbu Station. A mix of G.I.'s and other local Koreans. Drinks are fairly priced, and the staff is friendly.
- Toms Ville, Uijeongbu. Awesome bar! Great prices and Great staff. Lots of local women. Weekends are busy and have many Soldiers.
- The Mix. One of the more popular bars with soldiers, the mix has a relaxed atmosphere with music and beers from around the world. A famous drink is the "Oh My God."
- Cox, Uijeongbu. Great bar with great staff! You'll make friends with Will and the other bartenders your first night if you stick around long enough. It's starting to become popular with the local soldiers, but for the most part is full of a close-knit Korean family of patrons.
- Hotel El'Lee, 449-15, Uijeongbu-dong (5 Minutes from the Uijeongbu Subway Station), ☎ 82-31-877-8087~8, . It is very modern style hotel. It located at the center of the city. It is good place for people who like to enjoy the city life. 50,000won~70,000/night.
- Jikdong Cottages, 326-20, Uijeongbu-dong (Behind the Youth Student Center), ☎ 82-31-828-4999, . checkin: 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. This place is run by the City government. There are three different sizes of rooms. Five people can stay in the smallest room and eight people can stay in medium size room. The largest room can hold up to 25 people. Reservations are crucial. 44,000won~110,000won/house.
- Nox, Uijeongbu. Another good upstairs bar in Uijeongbu, some GIs, but more local Koreans. A friendly owner and staff.
- '''Uijeongbu City Hall''', 326-2, Uijeongbu-dong, ☎ 82-31-828-2114, .