Trikala is a city in Thessaly (population 80,000) with a good cafe and nightlife scene. It is an agricultural town that is well placed for those going to Meteora 15 km north or the Pindos Mountains to the west. It lies on the Litheos River that runs through the center of the city.
Homer mentioned the city as Trikala and is supposed to be the birthplace of the god of healing, Asclepius.
The closest airport is Volos airport  (VOL), situated in (Nea Anchialos), about 130 km W from the city. Volos may be the nearest airfield but only offers service during the warm-weather months.
Air Berlin  operate every Monday and every Friday from May to October (Flights to/from Berlin, Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Nuremberg, Vienna).
Ryanair  operates flights from April to October to/from Hahn (Frankfurt), Bergamo (Milan), Rome and Charleroi (Brussels) airport.
Belle Air  operate to/from Tirana.
Lauda Air  operate to/from Vienna.
Transavia  operate to/from Amsterdam.
There is a bus connecting airport and Volos bus station. Buses are waiting to pick up travelers after a plane lands, the cost form the airport to Volos Bus station is 3 €. Then you have to get another bus or Train from Volos to Trikala. The bus station in Volos is about 1 km from the train station.
The nearest airport offering year-round international service is in Thessaloniki (SLK) about 3 hours away.
By regional coach
Interurban coaches ("KTEL" buses) (+30 24310 73131) are by far the most convenient way to travel around Greece, as well as for intra-regional travelling. There is frequent bus service from Athens Liossion Station to Trikala, as well as from Thessaloniki bus terminal "Macedonia" to Trikala. The bus station is at the corner of Othonos and Garivaldi, just across the river from the center part of town.
Trains (OSE) (+30 24310 27214) connect Trikala to other cities in Greece. Travelling with ordinary trains can be cheaper, although a little bit slower, whereas choosing a fancy faster Intercity train will cost the same amount of money, or even more than a KTEL bus. There are direct trains to Athens and Larissa to Thessaloniki.
- Fortress of Trikala, (Just west of the city centre on top of the hill that overlooks the city). This Byzantine castle has a Clock Tower that provides an excellent view of the city. There is a cafe and the outdoor summer theatre is located here. edit
- Old Town (Varousi), (Just west of the city center at the foot of the Fortress). A peaceful area of winding streets and traditional old houses along with many old churches. Following the district Varousi up to the central square is the part of the city called Manavika, a neighbourhood of the old town, where some of the best taverns and bars are located. edit
- Litheos River, (City Centre). It's the river that passes through the center of the city between the central square and the pedestrian zone of Asklipiou. A landmark of Trikala is the Central Bridge of the river, built in 1886 edit
- Koursoun Tzami, (Across the river and 300 m to the east of the city center). This Turkish Mosque dates from the 16th Century. It was built by Mimar Sinan who also designed the Suleyman Mosque in Istanbul and now is a museum along with the nearby Hamam of the same period. edit
- Chapel of Profitis Ilias, (200 m north of the old town on the hill north of the Fortress). edit
- Mill of Matsopoulos, (near the train station). This traditional watermill from 1884 is being transformed to the most famous Christmas theme park of Greece every year edit
- Visit Meteora, Kalampaka (20 km north of Trikala.). Meteora is a world famous destination in Greece all year round. Visit the monasteries, do outdoor activities and enjoy the unique landscape edit
- Ski and excursions to nature, Pertouli (30 km west of Trikala in the Koziakas mountain of Pindos.). Elati and Pertouli Ski Center are a famous winter destination in Greece. Visit also the byzantine church of Porta Panayia and stone bridge of Pyli (18 km west of Trikala) and the waterfall and the stone bridge of Palaiokarya edit
- Visit 'Milos ton Xotikon' (The Elf Mill), Matsopoulos Mill (South of Trikala on the Pylis Road, just after the train station.), ☎ +30 24310 20000. The old flour mill which is usually home to a museum, cinema and cafe transforms every December into Father Christmas's workshop. With fun, festive activities for all ages, including: ice skating, a fun traditional fair, a chocolate factory, face painting, Sants's bakery, theatrical productions, live shows from Greek artists and a Christmas Bazaar. It's the most popular Christmas theme park in Greece. Open from 1st December - 7th January annually, every day from 10:00 till 22:00 Free Entrance.. edit
- Visit Trikala city center. Visit the sights of Trikala City such as The old town with the castle, the river and the other points of interest. Trikala city has a vibrant city center with many cafes, bars, taverns, shops and is definitely worth a visit edit
The 'Palia Manavika' (The old market) situated between the Central Square and the old town of Varoussi has a variety of reasonably priced traditional taverns, pizzarias and 'mezedopoleios' to choose from, see listings below.
- Diachroniko, Chaztipetrou & Ypsilantou 21, ☎ +30 24310 77522. A traditionl Greek tavern serving all types of dishes and 'mezedes at reasonable prices. edit
- Palia Istoria, Yspilandou 3, ☎ +30 24310 77627. 'Mezedopoleio' serving 'mezedes' and other dishes. edit
- To Lathofanaro, Yspilantou & Kaniggos, ☎ +30 24310 74610. Describing itself as a "taverneio' it serves a good selection of Greek dishes and 'mezedes'. edit
- Katogi, Karaiskaki 58 & Yspilantou, ☎ +03 24310 20150. A large tavern serving a variety of traditonal dishes at reasonable prices. edit
- Ta Mezedokamomata, Yspilantou 16-18, ☎ +30 24310 76741, . The first tavern to open in the neighbourhood with seating for up to 200 people. A variety of Greek dishes are served at reasonable prices. edit
- Ianthos, Yspilantou 19 (Behind OTE), ☎ +30 24310 73359. Tavera with indoor and outdoor seating Serves a variety of Greek dishes. edit
- Mparmpanikolas, Ermoy & Yspilantou (Corner) (Just off Cetral Square), ☎ +30 24310 400423. Tavera & pizzapia with wood burning oven, serving a wide variety of traditional dishes and pizzas. edit
- Gustoza, Yspilantou & Nikotsara (Corner), ☎ +30 24310 71606 & 71609. A pizzaria with a wood burning oven and delivery service. edit
- Narkissos, Yspilantou & Kanigkos (Corner) (In the Palio Manavika between the Central Square and Varoussi), ☎ +30 24310 78628. A traditional style cafe with a great selection of cakes and pastries as well as board games. edit
- Reklama, Yspilantou 10 (North off the central Square in the Palio Manavika), ☎ +30 24310 72692. Traditional Kafeneion with gallery. Uses mainly local produce. edit
- Face Cafe, Karaiskaki & Androutsou (OTE Square), ☎ +30 24310 32231. edit
- The Loft, Androytsoy 9 & Ragkavi (OTE Square), ☎ +30 24310. edit
- Hamam, Mpostari & Greg. Patriarhou (OTE Square), ☎ +30 24310 33484. edit
- Buddha Cafe-Bar, Androutsou 7 (OTE Square), ☎ +30 24310 32722. edit
- Bitter Sweet Cafe-Bar, Chatzipetrou & & Stournara (West just off the Central Square), ☎ +30 24310 76062. edit
- Papypos Coffee Bar, 25 Martiou 7 & Chatzipetrou (West just off the Central Square), ☎ +30 24310 24999. edit
- Baccarito Roastery, Stratigou Sarafi 10 (Near The Central Square). edit
- Public, Stratigou Sarafi 4 (Near the Central Square), ☎ +30 24310 71313. edit
- Library, 25 Martiou & Chaztipetrou (West off the Central Square), ☎ +30 24310 72757. edit
- Claptone Cafe, Chatzipetrou 2 (West off the Central Square), ☎ +30 6976849475. edit
- Allegro, Stournara 6 & Chaztipetrou (West off the Central Square). edit
- Chalet, Greg. Patriarchi & Mpostari (OTE Square). edit
- Arapata, Chaztipetrou & Stournara (West off the Central Square). edit
- 4 Play Sport Cafe, 25 Martiou 11 (OTE Square). edit
- Rising, Karaiskaki 57 (Just off Central Square). Heavy metal music bar. edit
- Silver Spur, 64 Karaiskaki (Just off Central Square). Rock music/biker bar. edit
(1 and 2 Stars)
- Hostel Meteora (Trikala city center), Tiouson 51 & Papagou street corner, ☎ 00306975949554 ([email protected], fax: 00302431031361), . checkin: 11:00 - 23:00; checkout: untill 11:00. prices from 12€. (39.559636,21.767852) edit
(3 and 4 Stars)
- Achillion Hotel, 2 Asklipiou & Kanouta Sts, ☎ +30 24310-21893. Just across river from city center edit
- Aeton Melathron Hotel, 16 Nearchou & Klidonopoulou Sts, ☎ +30 24310 63130, . 2 km northwest of city center edit
- Hotel Lithaeon, 16 Othonos & Garivaldi Sts, ☎ +30 24310 20690. Just across river from city center edit
- Panellinion Hotel, 2 Vass. Olgas St, ☎ +30 24310 73545, . Historic hotel in city center at Rigas Ferroes Square edit
- Ananti City Resort, Loggaki Hill, Trikala (2.5km north of city center), ☎ +30 24310 63950. 5 star hotel edit
- St George Hotel, Chrisomilia (40 km northeast of Trikala), ☎ +30 24323 00400, . B&B edit
- Papanastassiou Hotel, Elati (30 km west of Trikala), ☎ +30 24340 71820. 2-Star hotel edit
- Free World Guesthouse, Kori (25 km west of Trikala). Hostel edit
Meteora - The famous monasteries are 20 km northwest near the town of Kalampaka
Koziakas Mountain - A wide variety of outdoor activities are in the Koziakas mountain, 18 km west of Trikala. The village of Pyli ("The Gate") stands at the entrance of one of Greece's most beautiful gorges. Right at the entrance of the gorge, 1.5 km past Pyli, is the 13th Century Church of Porta Panayia. The church has impressive mosaics and marble icons.Right in the middle of the gorge, 1 km after Pyli on the road to Elati and Pertouli, there is a traditional stone bridge of the 16th century. Another 5 km past Pyli is the Monastery of Agios Vissarionas, a 16th Century monastery. The waterfall and the stone bridge of Palaiokarya is 5 km from Pyli. The village of Elati is 10 km from Pyli. The ski area of Pertouli is 20 km past Pyli. Tria Potamia offers kayaking in the Aheloos River.
Plastira Lake - 30 km southwest of Trikala.