Tretes is a mountainous resort in East Java, about 1.5 hours by car from Surabaya (the capital) and approximately 10 km from Trawas and Pacet.
Tretes is one of the nearest mountainous resorts from Surabaya. It is a very popular weekend destination - mostly to escape from a bustling and polluted city.
The best way to go to Tretes is by car.
- From Surabaya: Go to the Waru highway entrance and take the "Malang/Pasuruan" direction. Exit the highway/ toll road at the Sidoarjo checkpoint and continue to drive until you reach a junction (at Porong). Turn right and follow the sign to Gempol and keep driving until you see a sign on the right, stating "Tretes". The road will start to climb, rather steeply in some points. Drive up until the road turns to the left - this is the main street of Tretes.
There is little (if any) public transport here. The best idea is going by car.
You can also take a horse ride (there are some around the market, which is also on the main street).
- On the way to Tretes (at Prigen, about 15 minutes before you reach Tretes' main road) you will see an orchid nursery on the right.
- Beautiful scenery with the view of Mount Welirang, pine trees and flowers
- Kakek Bodo waterfall (beware: the road to this waterfall is extremely steep)
- Sightseeing: view of Welirang mountain, pine trees, flowers.
- Ride a horse to get around Tretes
- Fruit and vegetables at the market (be sure to bargain)
- Rabbit satay foodstalls near the market
- Grilled corn-on-the cob
- sweet fermented glutinous rice
There is a Chinese restaurant at the corner of the main street (near Inna Tretes) but it is not certain whether it serves alcoholic drinks.
There are many villas for rent, including on (and near) the main street. There are also some budget hotels along the main street.
3-star hotels and above
The telephone area code for Tretes is 0343. (+62-343)
- Taman Safari II, a large national park-cum-zoo, is less than half an hour away (by car).
- Trawas, another mountainous resort (10-15 minutes from Tretes)
- Pacet, a mountain resort with some hot springs (10-15 minutes from Tretes)