Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Alpes Maritimes, France.
(population 2400) is a medieval village perched on a rocky spine overlooking the French Riviera between Vence and Grasse. (The final P is not pronounced.)
Nearest station: Cagnes-sur-Mer 15 km (9 miles).
Nearest airport: Nice Côte d'Azur 21 km (13 miles).
Bus service 510 runs between Carros, Gattières, Vence, Tourrettes-sur-Loup and Pont-du-Loup.
Distances from Tourrettes
- Vence 6 km (4 miles)
- Grasse 20 km (12 miles)
- Antibes 24 km (15 miles)
- Nice 27 km (17 miles)
- Cannes 37 km (23 miles)
- Monaco 49 km (30 miles)
- The villages of Tourrettes-sur-Loup and Pont-du-Loup.
- The Gorges du Loup with its waterfalls: Cascade de Courmes, Saut du Loup and Cascade des Demoiselles.
- cycling : Tourrettes-sur-Loup is very popular with cyclists.
- boules : Tourrettans play boules in the Place de la Liberation.
- skiing : The nearest ski station is at Gréolières-les-Neiges 39 km (24 miles).
- beaches : The nearest beach is at Cagnes-sur-Mer 14 km (9 miles),
- Fête des Violettes. Provençale market and a procession with carnival floats.
- Fête de la Musique, around the summer solstice;- with music in the streets.
- Fête Feux de la St Jean with barbecues and bonfire.
- Fête du Terroir, market selling local products.
- Fête Patronal, nearest Sunday to Ste-Madeleine (22 July).
- Marché Potier (pottery market).
Tourrettes has the best ice cream in the region.
- Baccanales, 21, Grand Rue, 04 93 24 19 19. One of the better restaurants in the region. Christophe Dufau left the Auberge de Tourrettes in 2004 to start his own small "bistrot gourmet" in the tiny back streets of Tourettes. The menu is very limited, often with no choice at all, but the cooking is top class and often inventive. €24-€70
- Le Relais des Coches, 28 Route de Vence, 06140, Tourrettes Sur Loup, ☎ 04 93 24 30 24. A restaurant that can talk the talk and walk the walk. This family run establishment is located on the outskirts of the village in picturesque surroundings. The owner/restaurateur, Wayne, is extremely welcoming as are all of his staff (many of whom are family). The menu is small but well chosen to suite all tastes. Whilst the service is friendly the food is exceptional. Perfectly cooked and well executed the food lacks for nothing. The desserts to finish are good but the Irish coffees are a devine. Over the weekend there is live Jazz but impromptu session can happen at any point. Book if you can but extra seating with a great view is available outside. If in the area this place should be avoided! edit
Camping and caravanning
- La Camassade, Route de Pié Lombard. Open all year round.
- Les Rives du Loup, Route de La Colle (D6). Open May to September. Tel: 04 93 24 15 65.
- La Bergerie, Chemin de la Sine, 06140 Vence. Tel: 04 93 58 09 36.
Places to visit nearby
There are two ski stations in the Upper Loup Valley, one at Gréolières-les-Neiges 39 km (24 miles) and a small one at L'Audibergue 45 km (28 miles).