Toruń  (Kashubian: Torń, German: Thorn) is a beautiful, medieval city in North-Western Poland, situated on the Vistula River. Its architecture has managed to escape bombing, and as such represents one of the only examples of true gothic architecture in Poland. Still reasonably off the radars of most European travellers, one can expect to have an amazing Polish experience here without the nightmares of a million and one interail travellers.
One of the capitals of the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodship (since 1999), previously the capital of the Toruń Voivodship (1975-1998) and the Pomeranian Voivodship (1921-1939), the city is located near the Geographic Center of Europe.
Toruń's medieval Old Town or Starówka is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Toruń is a birthplace of world famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. The house where Copernicus was born and the chapel where he was christened are still standing in the city. From Middle Ages the town is known for its gingerbreads.
As of the last census in 2004, Toruń has 208,386 inhabitants.
The nearest aiports that offer commercial flights are in Bydgoszcz (50 km)  (low cost airlines across Europe), Poznań - Lawica airport (150 km, low cost airlines across Europe), Gdańsk - Lech Wałęsa airport (~180 km, low cost airlines across Europe, connected by motorway) and Warsaw - Okęcie airport - long haul airlines (230 km).
Polish State Railways  operates train connections to Toruń from Warsaw, Poznań, Gdańsk, Łódź, Katowice and Olsztyn.
Toruń Główny is Toruń's main railway station. It is situated on the south side, across the river from the city. Bus #22 and #27 run from the train station. The bus stop is immediately next to the train station, on the north side of the train station. There is an electronic sign at the bus stop showing when the next bus will depart. Those buses are very frequent during the day (about 6 services per hour) and take about 6 to 8 minutes to reach the old city. Alternatively, it is a 35 minute walk to the city.
Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver (there is no kiosk or machine for buying tickets at the train station). A 30 minute ticket costs 2.80 zł (in September 2018). You don't need an additional ticket for bags, as long as you don't put them on the seats.
For the old town, get off the bus at the first or second stop immediately after the bus crosses the river. Plac Rapackiego is the first stop after the river, and it is on the western side of the old city. Aleja Solidarności is the next stop, and it is on the northern side of the old city. You can then walk into the old city, or change to another bus or tram.
Timetables and ticket information can be found on the MZK Toruń Website . See also the schematic map of bus and tram routes in Toruń  (and there is a separate map for night services ). The timetables and maps refers to the Toruń Glówny station as "Dworzec Główny" (main station).
There are two smaller railway stations in Toruń, but most/all inter-city trains do not stop there: Toruń Miasto is closer to the old town and Toruń Wschodni is just beside the 'Atrium Copernicus' shopping center.
Highway A1 runs between Toruń and Gdańsk.
There are many bus connections to Toruń, and the bus station is just a short walk from the Old Town. (see Poland::By bus).
Toruń's old town is quite small, and has no public transportation system. Walking around the old town is your best option.
Outside of the old town, there are plentiful buses and trams. However there are no bus ticket machines, ticket offices in the city. You can only buy tickets aboard the bus on its first stop, or instead, you can purchase MZK Toruń tickets in kiosks that are almost near every bus or tram stop in Toruń, but most ladies working in kiosks don't know English at all.
The operators have an english version of the timetable available  .
Best bet is to walk, or if you can speak Polish or have your destination written down the Taxis are quite cheap. To get further afield, cars can be hired for around 100 zł a day.
Statue of violinist in old town
- Nicolaus Copernicus Museum, ul. Kopernika 15-17 (Old Town). Astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was born in Toruń in 1473. The museum is situated in Copernicus's house which is a pretty building. Unfortunately the museum's "collection" mostly comprises of copies and facsimiles with very few explanations. Note: currently closed for renovations until June 2018. 10 zloty. edit
- Ratusz Staromiejski (Old Town Hall), Rynek Staromiejski 1 (on Old town square (Rynek Staromiejski)). One of the most beautiful Gothic town halls in Europe. Despite its many treasures it is however not too rewarding for foreign visitors as it is almost entirely explained in Polish. Translations are very sparse or non-existent. The Museum consists of Gallery of Gothic art, Exhibition of old Toruń 1233-1793, Exhibition of Toruń coins, Court hall, Hall of Polish kings etc. Climb the tower for a beautiful view! 10 zloty. edit
- Baj Pomorski Theatre (Teatr Baj Pomorski), Piernikarska 9, . edit
- Cathedral of SS. Johns (Katedra świętych Janów), ul. Żeglarska, . Gothic church where astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was christened. On its tower hangs Tuba Dei bell from 1500, one of the largest Medieval bells in Europe. edit
- View from left bank of the Vistula River. Excellent panorama from left bank of the river Vistula. edit
- Bydgoskie Przedmieście (Bromberger Vorstadt), (west of the Old Town). Mostly residential district build in the late 19th and early 20th century. It comprises many monuments of architecture, as well as a city park and zoobotanical garden. edit
- Przedmieście Świętej Katarzyny (Wilhelmstadt). Built in the late 19th and early 20th century east of the Old Town, is a specific combination of residential and military architecture. St. Catherine's church is located at Wilhelmstad's main square; with its over 80 meter high tower it still remains the highest building in Toruń. edit
- Teutonic Knights Castle Ruins, ul. Przedzamcze, . 10 am - 6 pm. An outdoor museum. The castle is almost completely destroyed except for one tower and a dungeon that you can set foot on. Admission: 9 zl. edit
- Dybowski Castle Ruins, opposite the river and small walk from the bridge (From the Old Town, cross the bridge to the other side of Vistula, then turn right and walk a cobblestone road you found under the bridge). An old skeleton of what is left of the old Castle, built by Polish king Władysław Jagiełło (Jogaila) in 15th century. You can explore the ruins at your own leisure and walk the walls (which can be dangerous). edit
- Fortresses (12), (Some are located close to old town, others like the forth fortress are just outside the city). edit
- Motoarena Toruń. The biggest and most modern purpose build speedway stadium in the world, in use since 2009. It is one of the sites for FIM Speedway Grand Prix since 2010. edit
- Piwnice Radio Observatory, (Piwnice). A radio observatory with two dishes (diameters: 32 meters and 15 meters). edit
- Krzywa Wieża (The Leaning Tower), ul. Pod Krzywą Wieżą. Part of old Toruń defense wall system built in the 13th century. Poor foundations led the tower to substantially lean at an angle soon after its construction. It's customary to see if you can stand with your feet against the wall and your arms outstretched in front of you (hint: it's pretty much impossible!) edit
- Dwor Artusa (Artus Court, Artushof), Rynek Staromiejski 6, . Monumental building on the place of medieval Artus Court in the end of 19th century. Now it hosts cultural centre. edit
- Ethnographic Museum, . A open-air museum showing the folk architecture of many regions of Poland. Includes a windmill. edit
- to make the most of your stay and get to know the city in an amusing way take one of the many walking tours of Torun with licensed city guides (http://torunguide.co)
A list of events, entertainment, culture in Toruń - updated daily (also in English) can be found online: 
- Bake traditional gingerbread at Gingerbread Museum, Rabianska street, very centre of the old town, ☎ +48 056 663 66 17, . 9-18. Get involed in an interactive show throughout visitors are guided by Master of gingerbread bakery and the Witch. Having sworn the oath you become member of the guild. First you will prepare dough the way it has been done for centuries, you will kneed it. You will also use traditional baking-moulds then you'll bake your own gingerbread. As the museum is located in an old granary you'll be shown how to produce flour using old mill stones as well. And remember - should you break the oath you shall be punished... If you hace passed with flying colours little examination and endured hardships of working at bakery you'll be also promoted and become a craftsman. Show takes up to one hour. This museum forms part of gingerbread tradition which Toruń is famous for. Check availability in advance on +48 566636617. During peak season you should book your visit beforehand unless you plan to show up on Sat - Sun. Open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Off-peak season (from January to the end of March) open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. There must be at least 5 persons to start show, this condition does not apply at 4 p.m. Need more information? Do not hesitate to phone this museum or e-mail them at [email protected] edit
- Pride March (Toruński Marsz Równości). Second, after Bydgoszcz, pride event in Kuyavia-Pomerania region. Usually occurs in September.
There are many shops, boutiques in old town selling clothes, souvenirs, jewellery, music, food, drinks, vegetables and fruits (on New Town market), etc.
- Galeria Copernicus, (40 min walk from old town, reachable by bus #15, 19, 21, 30, tram #2), . Large shopping centre edit
- Dom Towarowy, Rynek Staromiejski 36/37 (in houses on Old Town Square). Shopping center edit
- Toruńskie pierniki, Rynek Staromiejski 6, Żeglarska 24. Specialized gingerbread shops. edit
At warm times of year Toruń's old town is full of street cafes, restaurants where you can eat or drink outdoors and enjoy the medieval atmosphere. Some cafés are located on the bank of river Vistula, and at least two are on boats on the river. Various dishes - traditional and fast food, drinks - beer, soft drinks and ice cream are offered there.
If you are a football lover there are many street cafes where you can watch a game on TV while drinking good Polish beer.
Toruń is known for its gingerbread (Toruńskie Pierniki). You must try it.
- Leniwa (Pierogarnia), ul. Ślusarska 5 (close to New Town Market), ☎ +48 564775403, . 8-16 PLN. edit
- Manekin, ul. Wysoka 5, Rynek Staromiejski 16, ☎ +48 566522885, . Delicious, huge naleśniki (filled crêpes) with a large choice of fillings for only about 10 PLN each. It can get quite busy at peak times, but you will be warned if there will be a long wait. The staff are friendly and helpful and the restaurants have a nice ambiance. The restaurant on the old market square (Rynek Staromiejski) is particularly nice. edit
- Metropolis (Restaurant & Bar), ul. Strumykowa, ul. Podmurna, . edit
- Luizjana (Restaurant & Bar), ul. Mostowa 10, ☎ 56 692 66 78, . Small and cozy restaurant with Louisiana Creole food. It has limited seatings, so it is better to call before. Food and service is really good. edit
- GreenWay (Restaurant & Bar), ul. Łazienna 13, . vegetarian / vegan food for reasonable price :) nice location NOW CLOSED! edit
- Piccolo, ul. Prosta 20, ☎ 56 621 06 78. 10:00–21:00. beautiful location near the old town, delicious food perfect for lunch or dinner. edit
- Grota, Rynek Staromiejski 24 (north side of the Old Market Square, underneath the Orange shop). Friendly bar staff and locals, reasonable prices and an excellent range of spirits (including a terrifying assortment of vodkas!) makes this an excellent place to quench a thirst you may work up exploring Toruń's Old Town edit
- Togun. Comfortable couches and seating arrangements, with great bartenders edit
- Kona Coast, ul. Chełmińska (near Old Town Market Place), . edit
- Dom Czekolady, ul. Szeroka 38, . edit
- Atmosphera, ul. Panny Marii 3 (near Old Town Market Square, opposite the St. Mary church), . edit
- Cukiernia Lenkiewicz, ul. Wielkie Garbary 14 (Old town, near the crossroad of Królowej Jadwigi, Szeroka, and Wielkie Garbary - there is an Empik store and concrete bench with clock on it. ~50 metres from there. They've got best ice-cream in Toruń), ☎ (56) 62 256 35, . edit
The most popular ones are Koniec Świata and Kosmos. They offer good atmosphere and parties.
In Toruń if you would like to stay in one of the historic buildings in the old town, it is possible to rent a furnished apartment for the night from a local family. Go to the tourist information centre and ask them for a phone number, or have them call on your behalf if you don't speak Polish. It was less that 80 zloty per night during the summer in 2010.
- Angel Hostel, ul. Rynek Staromiejski 8 (right on the Old Town Square), ☎ +48 694 152 398, . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1200. Placed in the Old Town Square, with a view over Town Hall. Contains eight-, four- or two-bed rooms. 35 PLN-100 PLN. edit
- Camping Tramp, . Open spring & summer. edit
- Fort Yorck, Chrobrego 86 (5 km from downtown), . In a 19th century Festung Thorn fort. edit
- Orange Hostel, ul. Prosta 19 (in the Old Town, 5 minutes walk from the river), ☎ +48 56 652 00 33, . Dorm bed: 30 PLN. edit
- Freedom Backpackers, ul. Szeroka 31/4 (right on the main street (ulica Szeroka)), ☎ +48 790 704 785, . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1200. A great, friendly hostel, right in the heart of the city centre, giving great access to the whole Old Town, internet, solid breakfast. All in all, a great base to explore the city! 40 PLN. edit
- Central Hotel, Hotel Pod Orłem, . reasonably priced but sometimes noisy edit
- Ibis Budget (Etap), Popiełuszki 2a (within 0.5km from the Old Town). 1-star hotel edit
- Gotyk, Piekary 20 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Heban, Małe Garbary 7 (Old Town). 3-star hotel edit
- Hotelik w Centrum, Szumana 2 (Old Town), . 2-star hotel edit
- Kopernik, Wola Zamkowa 16 (Old Town), . 2-star hotel edit
- Petite Fleur, Piekary 25 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Pod Czarną Różą, Rabiańska 11 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Polonia, Teatralny 5 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Retman, Rabiańska 15 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Solaris, Panny Marii 9 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel. edit
- Spichrz, Mostowa 1 (Old Town), . 3-star hotel edit
- Trzy Korony, Rynek Staromiejski 21 (Old Town), . 2-star hotel edit
- B&B, Leona Szumana 8 (Old Town), . 2-star hotel edit
- 1231 Hotel, Przedzamcze 6 (Old Town), . 4-star hotel edit
- Bulwar, Bulwar Filadelfijski 18 (Old Town), . 4-star hotel edit
- Mercure Helios, Kraszewskiego 1/3 (within 0.5km from the Old Town). 4-star hotel edit
- Filmar, Grudziądzka 37 (within 1 km from the Old Town), . 4-star hotel. edit
Campings and campsites
There's a campiste in the place called Piaski, both for small campers and tent pitching. There's located directly on Vistula river (on Przy Grobli street). There's a beautiful view on the city and small sandy beach.
Citizens of Toruń are usually friendly and helpful. As usual, there are some sensitive issues that are better to avoid, especially highly politicised ones, if you don’t want a heated discussion. Toruń has also a very complex and often hostile relations with its western neighbour, Bydgoszcz. Local rivalry is known in all of Poland, try to avoid comparisons of two cities if not necessary – you never know how involved your interlocutor is and you may hear a long litany of complaints, or jokes.
- Bydgoszcz - the 8th biggest city in Poland with a nice riverfront, 40 km from Torun.
- Włocławek - has many historical monuments (Cathedral Basilica, Copernicus Square polish Plac Kopernika, Vistula’s Boulevards, Church of St. John the Baptist), museums (Diocesan Museum polish Muzeum Diecezjalne have paintings of Francesco Barbieri (Guercino) or group of Caravaggio, Museum of the Kujawy and Dobrzyn land
with Antoon van Dyck, Carlo Cignani or Rembrandt van Rijn), clubs and nature parks.
- Chełmno - beautiful well preserved medieval town in 40 km north from Toruń.
- Chełmża - beautiful old town with a lake beach that is perfect for relaxing and sunbathing.. 15 km.
- Golub-Dobrzyń - former Teutonic Knights' Castle, 40 km east from Toruń
- Szafarnia - Frederic Chopin museum, 45 km east from Toruń
- Ciechocinek - famous Polish spa, 25 km south from Toruń
- Biskupin - archaeological reservation of the Lusatian Culture settlement (650-550 year BC), 90 km from Toruń