Ota (大田) Ward is a peripheral district of Tokyo, located between Shinagawa and Kawasaki.
The name "Ota" is a combination of Omori and Kamata, two former wards which merged to form Ota Ward. Omori and Kamata remain the major urban centers in the ward.
Ota is home to Tokyo International Airport , also known as Haneda Airport (HND). Haneda is the busiest airport in Asia.
The Keikyu Airport Line offers a quick connection from Haneda to Keikyu Kamata, with onward connections available to central Tokyo and Yokohama. The train stops running between 12:20 AM and 5:30 AM but taxis are still available.
The main train stations in Ota are Omori (JR Keihin-Tohoku) Kamata (JR Keihin-Tohoku, Tokyu Ikegami and Tokyu Tamagawa lines) and Keikyu Kamata (Keikyu Main Line and Keikyu Airport Line).
The eastern, predominantly industrial side of the ward is served by the Tokyo Monorail, which runs from Haneda Airport to Hamamatsucho Station in Minato Ward.
One of the better sights in the area is the Tamagawa River which stretches from Haneda Airport to Kawasaki City and beyond. A great place for a jog or a bicycle ride with the locals.
Best time to see it is in spring when all the cherry trees are in bloom.
- Ikegami Honmonji (池上本門寺), 1-1-1, Ikegami, Ōta-ku, . Contains a number of buildings, most of which have been reconstructed since the bombing in March 1945. They include the Important Cultural Property designated five-story pagoda built in 1608, the kyōzō (経蔵, repository of religious writings) built in 1784, and the hōtō (宝塔), built in 1781 where Nichiren was cremated. Other buildings have been rebuilt, or newly constructed, since 1945. Its Shōtōen Garden is small but beautiful with its tea house, pond, and green hill. edit
- Tokyo Port Wild Bird Park (東京港野鳥公園), 3-1 Tokai, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-3799-5031 (fax: 03-3799-5032), . 9AM-5PM, Nov-Jan 9AM-4:30PM. A preserved 360,000 sq. meter wetlands area for observing 226 species of birds wild birds including shorebirds, ducks, waterfowl and songbirds, with nature center, and telescopes. A good place to relax. ¥300. edit
- Ota Wholesale Market (東京都中央卸売市場 大田市場), 3-2-1 Tokai, Ota-ku, Japan, ☎ 03-3790-8301, . Open 24 hrs, Closed Sun. An amalgamation of 3 smaller markets in 1989 make up this large 400,000 sq. meter market, with sections for fruits and vegetables, marine products, and flowers. With exhibition rooms and tour courses for visitors. edit
- Sachino-yu (幸の湯), 1-25-15 Nishikojiya, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-3741-4321. 6–11AM, 2–11PM Closed Mon. For those unable to get to a hot spring resort or want one last hot spring dip, this natural hot spring bath house might do the trick for you. edit
- Natural Hot Spring Heiwajima (天然温泉 平和島), 1−1−1 Heiwajima, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-3768-9121, . 24/7. A natural hot spring close to Omorikaigan Station with soaking pools and sauna. Shuttle bus to/from Haneda available (reservations required). ¥1280~. edit
- Senzokuike Park (洗足池公園), 2-14-5 Minamisenzoku, Ota 145-0063 Tokyo Prefecture, ☎ 03-3726-4320, . 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM. You can buy tickets to ride three kinds of boats. There are also about 200 cherry trees. It's the largest cherry blossom spot in the city. edit
- Granduo Kamata, . Located right inside JR Kamata Station and split into East and West buildings, Granduo is a typical department store that has some good and reasonably priced restaurants and take-home food on the top and basement floors. edit
- Don Quijote Kamata Ekimae (ドン・キホーテ 蒲田駅前店), 7-3-3 Nishikamata, Ota-ku (Next to west exit of JR Kamata Stn), ☎ 057-004-2211, . 24 hrs. A 24-hour discount store that sells everything from grocery items to clothing, bicycles, electronics, jewelry, and gag gifts. edit
- Tsutaya, (Located inside JR Kamata Stn), (fax: "), . Tsutaya is a major video and music rental store located right inside JR Kamata Station. edit
Labelled a "widely known secret", Kamata has transformed itself in recent years into an entertainment hub with a ton of drinking establishments clustered around JR Kamata Station.
- Select Bar, 5-45-1 1F, Kamata (East exit of Kamata Stn, head south and turn right at third crossing. 2nd bldg to the left), ☎ 03-3737-5016. Opens 5PM daily, closed Sun/hol. One of the most popular 'standing bars' and frequented by Japanese and foreigners alike. All drinks and food is priced ¥300. They serve great meatloaf which fits well with a couple of beers. edit
Apart from Kamata, you'll mostly find small bars serving the locals, those having a few beers before going home. If you're looking for a wild night out, then you're in the wrong neighborhood. However, there is plenty of atmosphere and prices are reasonable.
- Shot Bar Renga (レンガ), 2-8-8 Sanno, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-5709-3172, . varies, see homepage. Specializes in many rare and aged whiskeys. edit
- Nine Hours Kamata (ナインアワーズ蒲田), 5-24-4 Kamata, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-5713-0077, . checkin: 14; checkout: 10. An inexpensive capsule hotel for the frugal minimalist a 6-minute walk northwest of Keikyu-Kamata Station. ¥4900. edit
- Capsule Inn Kamata (カプセルイン蒲田), 5-20-5 Kamata, Ota-ku (2 min walk from JR Kamata Stn), ☎ 03-3731-0604, . checkin: 15; checkout: 10. A 220 person capsule hotel with huge indoor bath. Non-guest use of bath/sauna available (3hrs/¥1200). ¥6800. edit
- Toyoko Inn Haneda Airport 1 (東横Inn羽田空港1), 1-2-1 Haneda Ota-ku (Free shuttle bus to/from Haneda), ☎ 03-5737-1045 (fax: 03-5737-1046), . checkin: 16; checkout: 10:00. Largest business hotel chain with free shuttle. With free breakfast. ¥7700~. edit
- Toyoko Inn Tokyo Haneda Kuko No.2 (東横Inn羽田空港2), 1-1-7 Haneda Ota-ku (Free shuttle bus to/from Haneda), ☎ 03-5735-1045 (fax: 03-5735-1120), . checkin: 16; checkout: 10. A second Toyoko Inn if one isn't enough. With free shuttle to/from Haneda. Free breakfast. ¥7200~. edit
- Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu (羽田エクセルホテル東急), Inside Terminal 2 at Haneda Airport, ☎ 03-5756-6000 (fax: 03-5757-0706), . Upper scale hotel with large rooms and airport views. ¥14,000~. edit
- Urbain Tokyo Haneda Kamata (アーバイン東京・羽田 蒲田), 7-25-10 Nishikamata, Ota-ku, ☎ 03-3732-5123, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. A business hotel that is a 3-minute walk northwest from the west exit of JR Kamata Station. With free washer/dryer and meal voucher for nearby places. ¥6700~. edit
- Hotel JAL City Haneda Tokyo, . One of the closest hotels to Haneda Airport, overlooking the maintenance facilities on the west side of the airfield. ¥10,000~ single. edit