Meguro (目黒) is a largely residential district in southwest Tokyo, named after the Meguro River.
Cherry blossom petals in the Meguro River
The JR Yamanote, Metro Namboku (N01), Toei Mita (I01) and Tokyu Meguro lines all pass through Meguro station. The Metro Hibiya and Tokyu Toyoko lines also stop at Naka-Meguro (中目黒), the other end of the area.
- Meguro Parasitological Museum (目黒寄生虫館), 4-1-1 Shimomeguro, ☎ +81 03 3716-1264 (fax: +81 03 3716-2322), . We-Su 10AM-5PM; closed around New Years. One of a kind and oddly popular with couples on dates, although you might want to skip lunch before (or after) your visit here as the exhibits and pictures can be rather graphic. A compact two-story building, the most famous exhibit inside is an 8.8 meter-long tapeworm, with a matching string for you to take the measurement. Free; donations appreciated. edit
- Meguro Gajoen (目黒雅叙園), (five minute walk from the West exit of JR Meguro station, adjacent to the hulking Arco Tower office building). A luxury hotel and wedding hall, with restaurants, cafes, and banquet rooms. One of the most popular attractions, though, is the spectacular public restroom. edit
- Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum (東京都庭園美術館), (five minutes from the East exit), . Art museum housed in a classic Art Deco style structure, connected to a small park with Japanese and Western gardens and outdoor sculptures. edit
- Institute for Nature Study (自然教育園), 5-21-5 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku (adjacent to Teien Art Museum), ☎ +81 03 3441-7176 ([email protected], fax: +81 03 3441-7012), . Sep 1-Apr 30 9AM-4:30PM, May 1-Aug 31 9AM-5PM; closed Mondays, closed Dec 28-Jan 4. A 200,000 sq m nature preserve in the heart of the city, with birds and waterfowl, insects and marine life. Adults ¥300, senior citizens and children free. edit
- Sparrow's House Green Park (雀のお宿緑地公園）, 3-11-22 Himonya, Meguro-Ku, ☎ 03-5722-9741. It is a park in Tokyo that is a banboo forest. and other natures. It is a green based place unique in Tokyo.It was built in April 4th year 56 of the Showa era. The square measure is 7,493.72 square meters. The park does not have a closed day however the kominka is closed between December28 to January 4th. The history of this park started from the Edo period. edit
During cherry blossom season, the trees by the normally rather drab Meguro River bloom pink and Japanese congregate to picnic and drink by the riverside.
Meguro is famous throughout Japan for sanma (さんま), or Pacific saury, a type of ocean fish. It's obviously not fished in the area; rather, its fame comes from an old story. In September, there's a sanma festival where you can try it grilled by local vendors.
- Ichariba (いちゃりば), Aobadai 1-30-11, ☎ +81 03-5722-4778. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Excellent izakaya serving up very authentic and tasty Okinawan food, try the goya champuru (bitter gourd stirfry) and the Okinawan-style raw spring rolls. Occasional free live performances of Okinawan music. Most dishes ¥500-800. edit
- Ju, (near Nakameguro Station). Yakitori (chicken kebab) and kimuchi chahan (fried rice with Korean pickles - tastes better than it sounds!). edit
- Tonki (とんき), Shimo-meguro 1-1-2 (Meguro West exit, down the hill on the left), ☎ +81 03-3491-9928. Closed Tu and third M of the month. Possibly good place to go for tonkatsu (breaded deep-fried pork cutlets), and popular with foreigners. edit
- Tuk Tuk, Kami-Osaki 2-13-22 (Meguro East exit, on the corner opposite Sederhana, above), ☎ +81 03-3444-5150. Only in Japan: Italian and Thai on the same menu. Fortunately they don't actually mix the tom yum kung and gnocchi, and both are good. edit
- Sederhana, Kami-Osaki 3-5-4 (Meguro East exit, follow the large road on right for 3 min, on the corner by the highway), ☎ +81 03-3473-0354, . This Indonesian restaurant opened in 1955, and though it looks a bit run-down from the outside, it's full of atmosphere, the food is good, and the staff is friendly. Weekends and lunch by reservation only. edit
- Junkadelic, 4-10-4 Kamimeguro, Meguro-ku (from the east exit of Nakameguro Station, follow the train tracks south, continue past the Family Mart, the restaurant is just under the train tracks from Natural Lawson), ☎ +81 03-5725-5020, . 6PM-2AM. Though the building looks a little old, this Mexican restaurant has some great Tex-Mex cuisine. The menu is not very large, but what it has is worth eating. Portions are reasonably sized, so consider getting an appetizer along with the main dish. For drinks, there are several Mexican beers and Mexican tequila available. Main dishes ¥800-1,600. (35.640978,139.694295) edit
- If you want to eat vegetable cakes, you can go to Potager.
- Rakuya (楽屋), Kami-Meguro 2-15-6 (3 min from Naka-Meguro station), ☎ +81 03-3714-2607, . Spacious, classy but casual restaurant-bar with live music every night. edit
- The Meguro Tavern, Tokyo, Meguro-ku, Shimomeguro 1-3-28, Sunwood Meguro Building 2F (Take either of the main roads leading downhill to the river from JR Meguro Station), . A British-style pub with plenty of draft beers and football on the telly. edit
- The Westin Tokyo, 1-4-1 Mita, Meguro-ku, ☎ +81 03-5423-7000. Rooms are elegant and well furnished with over-sized bathrooms and workout areas. Their in house spa offers a variety of services. ¥33,000 and up. edit
- Tokyu Stay Meguro-Yutenji, 2-15-7 Yutenji, Meguro-ku (Yutenji station, on the Toyoko Line from Shibuya), ☎ +81 03-5721-1109 (fax: +81 03-5401-1107), . Part of the Tokyu Stay chain, these hotels are popular with business travelers. The small kitchenettes, washer/dryers, and free LAN access in all rooms makes these a good value. Singles start at ¥9,450, doubles at ¥17,850. Slight discounts are offered for extended stays. edit
- Princess Garden Meguro Hotel, 23 Kami-Osaki, 2 Chrome. Princess Garden offers rooms that are very comfortable. The beautiful garden and Japanese Tea Room on the hotel grounds add a level of beauty and serenity. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!