Hachiōji (八王子)  is in the western part of Tokyo.
Hachioji became a city on Sep. 1, 1917. In 2010, the population was about 550,000.
If coming from Narita Airport, take the JR Narita Express to Tokyo station, and change for the Chuo Line for service to Hachioji (about 2 1/4 hours, ¥3670). It is a real climb all the way up to the Chuo platforms, but since Chuo line trains start at Tokyo station, odds are you will probably find a seat. The alternative is to continue on the Narita Express to Shinjuku and from there board the Chuo Line, or the less-expensive Keio Line.
If you have a Japan Rail Pass, and if the timing is right, you may be able to reserve a seat on a Kaiji or Azusa train from Shinjuku and have a more comfortable journey to Hachioji.
The Narita Express runs directly from Narita Airport to Hachioji twice in the evening (leaving Narita 19:45 and 20:44), and there are two trains from Hachioji to Narita in the morning (5:19, 5:55).
Six daily airport limousine buses run from Narita to both the JR and Keio Hachioji train stations in about 2 hours, 40 minutes (¥3700).
From Haneda Airport, the easiest way to Hachioji by train is to take the Keikyu Line to Shinagawa, from where you can take the JR Yamanote Line in either direction, to either Tokyo or Shinjuku station, to pick up the Chuo Line for Hachioji. It costs ¥1180 no matter which way you go; allow about 1 3/4 hours. Slightly faster, but requiring an extra transfer, is to travel via Yokohama.
Six daily limousine buses go from Haneda to the JR and Keio Hachioji train stations in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (¥1700).
From Tokyo Station, hop on a JR Chuo Line train departing from platforms 1 and 2 for the ride to Hachioji (50-60 minutes, ¥780).
From Shinjuku, you can reach Hachioji in 38 minutes, either via the Chuo Line, or via tokkyū trains on the Keio line (¥460 on JR; ¥350 on Keio). Keio express trains take about 40 minutes from Shinjuku to Keio-Tama Center, where you can change for a local to Hachioji.
Chou Express onramp and exit
From Akirunoshi through the number16 road to Hachioji.
Overnight buses run into and out of Keio Hachioji station. Services run from Kyoto (Tama Bus/Keihan Bus; ¥7950 one way; ¥14310 round-trip), Osaka (Tama Bus/Kintetsu Bus; ¥8250 one way; ¥14770 round-trip) and Kanazawa (Tama Bus/Hokuriku Railroad; ¥8250 one way; ¥14850 round-trip)
- East Japan Railway Company (JR East):
- Chuo Line: Toyoda, Hachiōji, Nishi-Hachiōji, & Takao stations.
- Yokohama Line: Katakura & Hachiōji-Minamino stations.
- Hachiko Line: Kita-Hachiōji & Komiya stations.
- Keiō Corporation:
- Keiō Line: Naganuma, Kitano, & Keio-Hachioji stations.
- Keiō Takao Line: Keio-Katakura, Yamad, Mejirodai, Hazama, Takao, & Takaosanguchi stations.
- Keiō Sagamihara Line: Keiō-Horinouchi & minami-Osawa stations.
- City Buses adhere to regularly-scheduled operation from all train stations in Hachiōji and serve even the farthest out-lying areas.
Taxis are available, and cars can be rented.
Looking at the mountain range near Mt. Takao from the Keio Line.
- Sagami Lake. A popular spot to see summer fireworks.
- Imperial Mausoleum (多摩御陵 Tama Goryō). The burial site of the Shōwa Emperor (Hirohito) and his predecessor, the Taishō Emperor (Yoshihito).
- Movie theater13-4,Yokoyama-cho,Hachioji-shi,0426-22-0116,(10min from the Hachioji station north exit)
- Trick art museum. This is an interesting museum near Takao mountain station. It would takes you only 1 minute to get there from the station. It's easily accesible. There are many unique arts like photographs. This is a museum contains arts and amusement. What is more, it is said that the unique arts are good for your brain.
- Trace of Hachioji castle. It has the hard-fought field's trace of the Warring State Period, also you can see Sagami Bay from the lookout of the mountaintop. edit
- Sengen Shrine (浅間神社). It takes about 10 minutes from Keio Horinouchi station. There are many festivals, especially summer festival is the most big festival. edit
- Hokyointo (宝筐印塔). This is grave of Matsugi Shichiro (松木七郎), a samurai in the Kamakura era. Keio horinouchi is station name, and it is sorounded by some areas. Matsugi area is one of them, so this name was derived from his name. Asama shrine has many festivals and a lot of people come here. edit
- You Tube Star's House (原唯之の家), 306 room, 2038-3, Tatemachi, Hachioji, Tokyo. This is house of famous YouTube star in Japan Hara Tadayuki (原唯之). Once he was a godfather of "Yakuza" that is gang group in Japan. He like travellers and visitor. You can stay at his home. edit
Top of Mt. Takao. When weather is good, Mt. Fuji is visible from the top.
- Mt. Takao  is a 600-meter peak that is easily accessible by a combination of cable car/chair lift and hiking, giving a little taste of nature in Tokyo. It is popular in the fall to see the changing color of the leaves, however springtime is also a nice time because you can see many beautiful cherry blossoms.
- Start at the Takaosan-guchi (高尾山口) station of the Keio Line (this is the last stop). Just outside of the station a large map indicates hiking trails in the area. The first part of the main trail is steep, this can be avoided with a cable car (runs every 15 minutes) or chairlift ride (6 min./¥480, ¥930 round trip, children under 6 ride the cable car free while children under 3 ride the chair lift for free). Once you get off the cable car, there are shops selling food and souvenirs. There is also Monkey Park, where for ¥420 yen (children ¥200) you can watch a demonstration (in Japanese) and learn about Japanese Macaques in this zoo-like exhibit. There is also a beer garden which offers an all-you-can-eat-and-drink course for around ¥3000, a welcome reward on the return trip for a couple hours of hiking. From there, it is about a 50-minute walk to the top of Takaosan (高尾山頂). However, there are many lesser traveled routes also available that may take longer but are more scenic and unpaved. On the main route (Path 1) there are shrines and more food vendors. The entire path is paved, although there are steep stairs in places.
- At the top of the mountain there is a visitor center, restaurant, and viewing platform where Mount Fuji is visible.
- Leaving from Shinjuku, board a Keio Line special express, express or semi-express train bound for Takaosan-guchi station on Platform 3 (47 minutes/¥390), which is the end of the line. Note that not all Shinjuku departures go directly to Takaosan-guchi. You may need to take a train bound for Kitano and then switch to a local train for Takaosan-guchi. On the way back (especially after 4 PM) you may have to take a local train to Kitano and then switch to a much faster special express train to Shinjuku). </do>
- Fujimidai Park. The largest park near this station. On weekend a lot of families come to picnic and someone play catch ball. And someone come to this park with dogs. In spring, a lot of cherry blossoms blossom. It is very beautiful so this park is famous as good park to see cherry blossoms. edit
- Nagaike Park. This park is so big and it has a lot of greens. You can enjoy it and the song of birds. On weekends many people visit here. Moreover, there are Japanese rice fields (tanbo) and a water mill. There is a big pond named "nagaike" in this park. This has a sad legends that a princess who lived 100 years ago died in this pond because her husband died in war. Once there were a custom that when a husband dies, his wife dies too in Japan. edit
- Hachioji Ichou Festival. There are about 770 maidenhair trees. In autumn, those colors change and it is very beautiful. edit
- Hachioji Fireworks. It is held in Hachioji citizen ball park in the latter part of July. edit
Hachiōji is home to over 20 universities and technical schools. There are 10 public senior high schools, 37 public junior high schools, and some number of private schools, as well.
- Various large corporations have factories, branches, and head offices in Hachioji.
- Senseless Records: Japanese and import punk records, CDs, and domestic/imported beer. 3 minutes from JR Hacioji Station's North Exit.
- Used/Vitage Clothing: Scattered within 10 minutes from JR Hachioji Station's North Exit and Keio-Hachioji Station, there are about 10-15 different used clothing and vintage shops, often 1/4 the price of those found in the more popular shopping districts such as Kichijoji and Harajuku.
- SOGO: Seibu department store.
- Book Off: Used video, books, games, CDs.
- Yodobashi Camera: electronics.
- Tokyu squre, . Department store/shopping mall. edit
- MURASAKI SUPORTS
- Tama Green Walk（グリーンウォーク） is a shopping mall. You maybe able to buy anything you want ;-P
- K's Denki(K's電気)
- Book-off(ブックオフ): You sometimes can find good books in 100Yen corner. Please don't miss them!
- Hard-off(ハードオフ): You can dig in junk mount. They sell lots things like Game, Instruments, CD/DVD, PC and more.
There are many restaurants along the Tama Newtown street. For example, Sushi, Fast foods, Udon, and Chinese noodles. Especially, this region famous of Chinese noodle. There are a lot of Chinese noodle shops.
Yanawarabaxa やなわらばあ やなわらばぁ Sennicho (千人町) 1-6-1 
Lunch set 490 yen,
Lunch & Dinner open 7day, (except Monday and Thursday Dinner(closed)
Day by day changing different Main dish with two side dishes,fruit, Rice, Miso soup, coffee
Free for refill Rice, Miso soup, coffee and Curry
pick up and Take out lunch available
Lunch time am 11:00 to pm 14:30
Dinner time pm 18:00 to Last order 20:30
May hand house made cake and sweets, special Dinner menus, Beer, Sake, Shochu available other drinks
Owner Madam doing all single operation,
You can feel Very traditional Japanese restaurant
Very typical Japanese restaurant Very Fun
walk 5 minutes from JR NishiHachioji station.
waketagami(分田上) tel- 0426-74-7460
This is a noodle shop. The base of this noodle is Tonkotsu that took the taste from pig's born. The noodle thicknwss is not thick. The boast of this shop is kinds of the toppings. It is interesting for example cheese, umeboshi, onsen-tamago soft-boiled egg), and so on. These are unusual toppings so you may be able to eat it in other shops.
Tukinoshizuku japanese restaurant kind of tofu. (Asahimachi2-5 Hachioji twin tower 9F tel:042-620-3920
Tokubeis soba restaurant. (Ohwadachou 4-15-6.) tel:042･644･9098
- Mo-Mo-Paradaisu (モーモーパラダイス), (It is three minutes walk from Hachioji station), ☎ 042-621-2981, . You can eat meats and vegetables for 1890~yen. edit
- Azigen (味源), Misaki-cho 5-12 (About 5 min. from the north exit of Hachioji Station.), ☎ +81 0426-27-9043. Daily 11AM-5AM. A ramen restaurant. edit
- Torattoria Campagna, Misaki-cho 1-5, ☎ +81 0426-27-1201. Tu-Su 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5:30PM-9:30PM. An Italian restaurant. edit
- Ukai Toriyama (うかい鳥山), Minami Asakawa 3426 (near Takaosanguchi Station), tel. 042-661-0739, . The highlight of many travelers' visits to Japan, and is a favorite destination for many Japanese to take their guests from overseas. The food doesn't challenge the non-Japanese palate too much — mostly chicken and sashimi, and to order you just pick one of three dinner sets. The great thing about this restaurant is the ambience. The restaurant comprises a number of traditional cottages situated within a beautifully maintained garden. Prices for lunch and dinner are not outrageous, you will probably spend between ¥5,000 and ¥10,000. Of course, you will run up a bill if you drink plenty - be careful! Reservations are required.
- Sherlock Holmes Pub, Misaki-cho 4-1 (2 minutes from the station north exit, on the pedestrian arcade to the left), 0426-27-4869. For once, a pub in Tokyo that's English, not Irish.
- Bane Bagus 12-15, Higashi-cho, Hachioji-shi, 0426-46-9631, Open: Everyday 6:00PM to 5:00AM. This is Darts bar.
There are many love hotels close to JR/Keio hachioji Stations, and can even be found in less populated and mountainous areas. Normally love hotels operate on an hourly/bi-hourly system, but are also known to have a cheaper overnight charge. If you want to walk around west side of Tokyo area like Hachiouji, Machida and some of mountain ridged area, it had better to use accommodation facilities at Tama Center Station or at Tachikawa Station.
- Keio Plaza Hotel Hachioji, Asahi-cho 14-1, ☎ +81 0426-56-3111. Single rooms ¥13,382. edit
- HOTEL GRAN SPA, Nakamachi 2-1, ☎ +81 042-648-5111. Connected to the Yasuragi no Yu spa. Has baths, a restaurant, karaoke rooms, exercise rooms, and an internet cafe. Single rooms ¥10,500. edit
- aprecio (アプレシオ), Hachioji Twin Tower B 4F, Asahi-machi 5-1, ☎ +81 0426-20-5171, . An internet cafe with computers, books, darts, and billiards. Unlimited drinks included in hourly fee. edit
You'll feel closer to nature when you visit to Ngaike Koen Park and Renshoji Koen Park.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
|This article contains content that was once found at Keio horinouchi. View that page's revision history for the list of authors.