Togian Islands is an archipelago in the Gulf of Tomini, Central Sulawesi in Indonesia.
The Togian are a plenty of different islands and villages accessible by boat from Wakay. Volcano Island Una Una is situated at the North of the archipelago.
Togean Islands is a beautiful island group in the Tomini Gulf, reachable from Gorontalo in the north and Ampana in the south. The journey to get there is long, but worth it! Togean, Batudaka and Pulau Una Una are three main Islands, total 56 small Island. Malenge, Wakai and Bomba are famous place to visit and see white sandy beaches.
Note that all the hotels charge per person (not per room!!), and there are no ATMs, so bring enough cash.
There are ATMs for Mastercard, VISA and Cirrus available at the mainland. Some (dive) resorts have satellite internet connection and you could pay by credit cards or money transfer. Please refer to the resort when you book your accommodation.
Malenge and Bomba have white sand beaches, while volcanic Una Una Island has black sand.
Flora and fauna
The Togian Islands are very close to the equator. Consequently, the flora is primarily tropical rain forest. A specialty of the Togian Islands is the Coconut Crab which can grow up to a weight of 4 kg.
The climate is all year around warm, due to the close position to the equator (40km). The driest months are the summer months.
The best and fastest way to go to Togian is from Ampana. Today, WIngs Air/Lion Air group service the route Palu to Ampana everyday. Which means that you can fly to Ampana from any major cities in Indonesia in the same day. Book flight to Palu first and then to Ampana, since the system is not aligned yet.
The easiest way to reach the islands is with a daily public speed boat. Speed Boat Hercules leaves from Ampana around 9 in the morning, stops by request in Bomba and continues to Wakai. Price for a seat is 150 000Rp.
The public ferries that run between Ampana to Wakai on the Togian Islands leaves every morning at 10:00, except Fridays. However, bear in mind that schedules often change due to breakdowns and weather. Also note that at least one day a week the Wakai boat leaves from the other port; 15 minutes east of town (NOT the port in Ampana; as of Oct 2014). Under normal conditions it takes about 4hrs to Wakai, where Pulau Kadidiri resorts offer free connecting speedboats. The fare for the main ferry is 65,000 Rp as of June 2016). Some of the boats stop in Malenge which is another 1.5hrs from Wakai. The ticket office is located in the white building to your right when entering the port area.
Bomba is about 2.5 hours from the mainland of Ampana. In addition to the public speed boats it can be reached by public wooden boats from the small harbor near Marina Cottages. The public boats depart on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. On the remaining days it is usually possible to catch a boat to a nearby village. Edi at Marina Cottages is a good information source for transfers to Bomba and other parts of the Togeans.
The resorts are waiting with their boats at the ferry terminal in Wakai but it's nice to call them ahead to announce your pending arrival. On Pulau Kadidiri, the Black Marlin Dive Resort, Kadidiri Paradise and Pondak Lestari offer a free shuttle boat if you stay with them. If you switch resorts them after taking the shuttle, you have to pay a small fee of 25,000 Rp. All 3 resorts are walking distance from each other.
The ferry "Tuna Tomini" runs three times a week from Gorontalo to Wakai (travel time 13 hrs) and continues on to Ampana. It leaves Gorontalo every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday at 18:00, arriving in Wakai the next morning. The price (Oct 2014) is 63,000 Rp for Economy class (seat in an open cabin with café), 72,000 Rp. for Business 1 class (berth in an open cabin) and 89,000 for Business 2 class (reclinable seat in A/C cabin). You may reserve an a/c private cabin with two double beds o/w for 500,000 Rp (November, 2018 based on a r/t purchase) through [email protected] or WhatsApp at + 62 853 42133 888.
The same ferry makes the return trip to Gorontalo three times a week on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, leaving Ampana at 10:00 in the morning, reaching Wakai about 15:00. After taking on Gorontalo-bound passengers and freight, the ferry then leaves Wakai at 16:00, arriving in Gorontalo the next morning about 06:00.
Make sure if it's busy and you're going overnight, you may also reserve a mattress when you buy your ticket. This is called "tatami", you'll get a number assigned, and it costs 10,000 Rp. Otherwise you'll be sleeping on the deck!
The fastest way of getting to the Togean Islands is by flying directly to Ampana from Palu with Wings air. For example, you can arrive in the Togean islands in one day if leaving from Jakarta early in the morning. You can also fly to Luwuk, Poso or Palu and charter a car/taxi to Ampana. Another option is to fly to Gorontalo and take the Tuna Tomini ferry to Wakai.
From Marisa (about three hours from Gorontalo): catch The Car Ferry "KM. CENGKEH APO" from Bumbulan to Dolong every: THURSDAY & SUNDAY at 8am. It takes 5 hours.
Direct access from Marisa to Una Una by speed boat is 2.5M RP in 4h.
Private boats of varying types can be chartered at anytime to and from the islands.
To Una Una:
- Charter boat wakai - una una 600.000 rp, 8 pers max. 3 hours
- Public boat on tuesday, friday and sunday at 8:00 am 30 000rp. 4 hours
You better tell to your hotel to look for you at the harbour or ask a motorbike to drive you.
Based On the Governmental Regulation of the Republic Of Indonesia Number 12 of 2014 regarding the Types of Non-Tax State Revenues applied In The Ministry of Forestry, entrance tickets to the national park area consist of entrance tickets and tickets for nature tourism service. Here are details of ticket prices for tour ists visiting Kepulauan Togean National Park.
entrance ticket : 150.000 IDR/pers to enter the national park (5.000 IDR for Indonesia residents)
Number Details Rate (IDR) Unit
Rincian Harga Keterangan
1) Foreign (Non-Indonesian) Visitor Rp. 150.000 Per Entry Per Orang
2) Indonesian Visitor Rp. 5.000 Per Entry Per Orang
3) Foreign Student Group (min. 10 people) Rp. 100.000 Per Entry Per Orang
Karcis Masuk Rombongan Pelajar/Mahasiswa Asing (minimal 10 orang)
4) Indonesian Student Group (min. 10 people) Rp. 3.000 Per Entry Per Orang
Karcis Masuk Rombongan Pelajar/Mahasiswa Nusantara
(minimal 10 orang)
Togean is home to an indigenous population known as the Bajo colloquially called "Sea Gypsys". The Bajo are semi nomadic and rely on fishing for their income. Tours from most of the resorts will take you to visit them. Selling fresh lobsters to tourists at a fraction of what you would pay in the US, Australia or Europe is an important part of their income, so if you visit them make sure you bring cash to buy some fresh lobsters. Just make sure they are big, it's illegal and unethical to sell/buy small lobsters and lobsters with eggs. The young people love foreign visitors and will show off their humble village and school rooms.
A fascinating cultural experience fast approaching its demise is, "Living with Sea Gypsies." You can visit or even live with the last of the traditional sea gypsies who have endowed remarkable fishlike abilities that still baffle modern scientists.
All the villages have small shops/kiosks where you can buy snacks etc. Wakai has a bigger market every Sunday.
All resorts include three meals per day in their prices. Most resorts have a small shops selling snacks and cigarettes or you can buy them in the nearby villages.
It costs about IDR 50,000-60.000 for a large Bintang beer at the resorts. Other option for alcohol is the local Arak, a kind of stronger palm wine - all resorts can get it for you in Wakai for around IDR 15.000. A large bottle of water costs IDR 20,000 in most resorts. Boiled water, tea and coffee are provided free by most resorts.
Bomba is great place for diving and snorkelling. The walls at Taupan island just 15 min from Bomba are fabulous, as well as at Bomba Atoll, the biggest atoll reef at Togean. There's also 2 bat caves near Bomba and a pretty bajo villages with very friendly people who always welcome visitors with a huge smile.
Bomba is about 2,5 hours from Ampana where you can find 3 places to stay .
- POKI POKI is located just 10 minutes per boat away from the village Bomba. The place offers eight nice bamboo and wooden huts, all directly beachfront. It´s a small family run place which is known for their very good food. You can take long walks, as the beaches next to the place are all empty. Poki Poki arranges boat trips around the Togian islands, snorkeling trips to the nearest big coral reefs and jungle trekking.
- Araya Dive Resort / Bomba Divers is located just before Bomba village. The public speed boat stops at their jetty when asked. This is your place is you'd like to stay in a small paradise island and enjoy great diving in small groups with a very professional dive center. Run by an indonesian-finnish PADI instructor couple. The new deluxe bungalows are maybe the nicest ones in the Togeans and the view from the rooms is amazing. The food is very good.
- Island Retreat has a 400 meter long white sand beach, and 3 hectares of surrounding forest.There are 10 large oceanfront cottages with private bath , sea view veranda, king-sized beds. There is a honeymoon cottage and a family cottage, suitable for a family of 4 (or more)starting at $30 US/person/night . Delicious meals are included in the price of accommodation. Homemade pastas, bread, pizza, international and local cuisine. Various activities available - forest walks, village tours, snorkeling, diving, canoeing. Good value.
- POYALISA Island Offering you a place to relax and feel like Robinson Crusoe on a small beautiful island. With 19 nice simple budget bungalows starting at Rp 150.000/person/night with three daily meals and a snack in the afternoon included, each with veranda and located on a lovely white sandy beach near Bomba village. With home-made Indonesian food. As of June 2018, it looks like it's best days are finished and no money goes into maintaining the place. Food was ok except breakfast, where you have to wait until 8am to only get fluffy bread and fruit. Be prepared and bring some snacks. If you reserve in advance, Poya Lisa will take you from Wakai to the island by private boat for 500,000 Rp. (november 2018)
Wakai is the main ferry port in the area and has a single resort located on an island across from it.
- Sunset Beach A resort opened December 2011, with private beach. Staff are lovely, as is the food, and offer the 15mn boat transfer from Wakai Ferry terminal at nominal cost. Rooms from 175,000 Rupiah per person. Price of the room includes 3 daily meals, complementary tea and coffee available all day. All rooms have attached bathroom with western style toilets and salt water showers. Snorkeling trips are available to surrounding locations for between 50,000 to 500,000 Rupiah per person, but diving cannot be arranged. Transport must be arranged before arrival; try contacting Irena: 0821 99194240
Pulau Una Una
- Sanctum Una Una is a PADI 5 Star dive resort situated in the island of Una Una, an isolated volcano that offer some of the best dive sites of the togean. Pure nature. The coral reef is untouched with huge sea fans and full of fish, huge schools of barracuda and jack fiches, eagle ray, napoleon,nudibranch. Dive sites are 10 minutes boat drive to resort. Dive center is new and modern 3 speed boat, new equipment, small dive groups and A PADI instructor can give you the open water/advanced training. Deluxe rooms with private bathrooms: 350 000- 275 000rp shared bathrooms: 250 000 - 200 000 rp rooms towels, hammocks, privet balcony and 3 delicious meals included whit bread. Try book advance deluxe room.
- Nino´s Homestay At Una Una have nice clean Homestay, Nino´s Place with 3 sea front bungalows 150.000 rp / person incl 3 meals. Free coffie and tea. During 2016 Nino was building 4 new bungalow rooms with private bathroom, so more space is/will soon be available. If you follow the beach to the right (facing the water) for about 100 meters and then go into the water there is a huge coral reef with alot of fishes and turtles, great for snorkeling. You can also ask Nino and he will tell you where the best places are. If you are intrested in seeing the remains of the vulcano Nino's sons will happily show you the way through the jungle for 75.000 rp / person. Bring water: the trip to the vulcano is at least 3 hours one way, prepare to sweat alot. Ninos place is only a 15 min walk from Sanctum dive resort, keep your eyes open because they have no sign, ask locals and they will point you the way. Not possible to book in advance.
- Pristine Paradise Dive Resort is a new dive resort in Una Una that opened in July 2017. It is Dutch/Indonesian owned and run and is developed in close cooperation with the local community. This authentic small community atmosphere is made part of the resort, resulting in a great vibe with plenty of smiles. There are eight cozy wooden bungalows close to the beach that all have running water, king-size bed, bathroom and terrace with hammock. Three meals a day and free coffee, tea, water are included. Dorm, Standard, Deluxe, VIP (200 000, 275.000, 400.000, 500.000 rp) available. PADI dive instructors can teach all the available courses up to Dive Master. Apart from diving at the stunning sites around Una Una, staff will take you to experience real local life; football in the village, teaching English at the local school and hiking the volcano.
Kadidiri has four resorts, with three of them located right next to each other on the very small beach. They all charge per person, per night and include all meals.
- Pondok Lestari Kadidiri .. Offers Bungalows for Single or Doubles with shared squat toilet/mandi. The only budget Accomodation on Kadidiri starting at Rp 125,000 per person per night including all meals and free coffee and tea all day. Rustic bungalows with private bathroom cost Rp 175,000 per person. Snorkeling trips to nearby Islands and Reef with the owner who is a Bajo fisherman cost Rp 50,000. Atoll trip is Rp 150,000. Una-Una is Rp 200,000. You can also join him on fishing trips also for free. You can go for great walks on the Island to other uninhabited beaches. There are lots of birds, Crabs and lots of other wildlife Pondok Lestari does not have a dive center, but both the Black Marlin and the Paradise are happy to take on extra business. Pondok Lestari Kadidiri (It is to the right of the Kadidiri Paridise and Black Marlin Resorts when facing the Island.)
- Black Marlin Dive Resort Located in the middle of the three resorts, all rooms are right on the water with amazing sea views and have attached western bathrooms, ceiling fans too. All rooms have double spring beds with mosquito nets. Water runs 4 hours per day, two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. Cold water only. They are presently creating a rainwater recycling system to supplement the freshwater bought in from Wakai. Standard rooms are Rp 250,000 per person, and Deluxe rooms are Rp 300,000 per person. Delicious food with fish, chicken, pasta and vegetables. Has very well equipped dive center with all new equipment (30 sets) and 2 compressors and 4 speedboats. Laid back fun atmosphere with professional back up. Now has some sea kayaks for rent so can get to nearby islands to snorkel or just bit of afternoon fitness. Also has a pool table for entertainment.
- Kadidiri Paradise Offers bungalows of different sizes and quality ranging from 275,000-600,000 Rp per person including all meals and free coffee and tea all day. They are supposed to have 24hrs of running water in the rooms. Its beachfront is very good with a wide variety of coral and fish. The food is very fresh and tasty. Has a dive center. Credit card payment available at times but bring plenty of cash to be on the safe side - signal not always working. The owners have another establishment in Ampana and you can pay with credit card there.
- Harmony Bay Very nice beach and modern bungalows, prices are 250k/ 300k/ 400k per person and night. Very well maintained and friendly staff. Great food (3 meals and afternoon snack). Be sure to agree on the correct pricing of your chosen bungalow to not get a surprise when paying.
Katupat Island is about 1 hour from Kadidiri Island where you can find 2 beautiful resort just 10 minute with a small boat from Katupat Village Togian Island.
- Bolilanga Island offering you a quiet and charming bungalows on a powdery white sandy beach starting at Rp 200.000/person/night with three daily meals included.Snorkeling in a perfect turquoise waters teeming with tropical fish and extensive coral formation just a few meters from the beach.
- Fadhilla Cottage Also known as Pangempa island, a small Tropical island that most people dream about: beautiful beaches, comfortable beach-chairs and jungle sounds in the night. Offering a variety of meals from local dishes to western favorites with all fresh ingredients. Starting at Rp 125.000/person/night with three daily meals included. Diving available.
- Losmen Lestari Malenge Remote and seclude Island with an amazing archipelago far away from almost everything. The room starting at Rp 125.000/person/night/with three daily meals included.
- Malenge Indah Basic bamboo cottages with Mandi bathroom and excellent food. Slightly more expensive Bungalows with western showers and toilets. Very Seclude and wonderfully Quiet with Amazing reefs only 45 minutes boat ride from Malenge Village. Rp 150.000/200.000/250.000 per person and night with three daily meals included.
- Sifa Cottage Located at Walea Kodi and is a place where you can find the ideal combination of beaches and Coral reefs with Amazing people from Togian. Starting at Rp 125.000/person/night/with three daily meals included.
- Sandy Bay
- ”’Ale beach Angkaio"': in Angkayo island, close to Malenge. It offers cheap rooms with shared western style bathroom and superior room with toilet inside. Serves Italian food and indonesian food. Locate on a private beach , Ale beach has amazing barrier reef just few steps from the rooms.
Check out these guys if you want to do camping trips: http://www.togianboattrip.com. Many many islands and beaches where you'll be the only one hanging around. Una una is also amazing place to do some camping u could ask help from Sanctum una una dive resort.
Pulau Buka Buka
- ’Reconnect Island Resort': BukaBuka is the closest island from mainland, right at the door of the Togean Islands. It can be reached in only 30 minutes from the village of Tete B, using the resort's private boat (scheduled based on guests arrival). The house reef there is outstanding. They serve vegetarian, vegan and Indonesian food. The place is new, and unlike the other islands, features 24/7 solar powered electricity and 4G signal. Prices starts at 500.000/person/night including three daily meals.
Do not walk through the reefs bare feet. Bring enough mosquito repellent containing DEET (others will be useless), as mosquitoes that bite day and night are a serious annoyance.