Thong Sala is the main port and largest settlement on Ko Pha Ngan.
There are ferries from Ko Samui to Thong Sala every day, the journey takes about an hour.
- Departing Nathon multiple times a day for 200 baht.
- Departing Mae Nam at 12:00 for 200 baht.
- Departing Surat Thani multiple times a day for 350 baht (3 hours + 1 hour bus ride from train station), or 400 baht for the fast ferry (2 hours + 1 hour bus ride from train station)
- Departing from Raja Ferry (near Don Sak) 08:00, 10:00, 14:00, 16:00, 18:00 for 220 baht (2.5 hours)
At Thong Sala there are taxis and pick up trucks waiting to take passengers around the island, holding up signs with the destinations. Price is a fixed 100-150 baht/person to Haad Rin, 150 baht to the northwest corner of the island, 200-250 baht to Thong Nai Pan. Don't take a taxi from the pier after arrival but walk from there to the roundabout where you will find taxi station with better (not newcomer inflated, but still high as anywhere on island) prices.
There are many places where you can rent scooters from, costs range from 100-150 baht/day. They will almost always require that you leave your passport with them for the duration of the hire. Most places are very strict about damage and will charge large fees if you bring back a scooter with new damage.Some operate a practice of charging hugely inflated damage fees whilst holding your passport hostage. Its also a good idea to photograph your bike when you hire it, so there can be no argument about being charged for previous damage.Bob's Bikes are notorious for this,if they try to scam you then go immediately to the tourist police, who are well used to this behaviour.
Phangan Royal Navy Ship: She sits in Thong Sala right in front of the ferry pier as the Royal Rama IX Memorial Museum. She has been here sine 2011. You are free to walk around and look inside when it's open.
- Thong Sala has a few very good traditional Thai massage shops, where you can also do a massage course.
- At Lomprayah Pier every evening there is aerobic dancing, free of charge. Starts 18:00, except Sundays.
Lim Ping Pong - An excellent small organic and Western convenience store. (Almost certainly misspelled, but it's close to how it's said). If you approach from the south (Ban Tai) it's on the right hand side near the post office. It's a very modern-looking building and is in the back of a store which mostly sells glass and home ware. It's tricky to spot the first time so walk around and ask people. All the locals know where it is.
Tesco-Lotus - Decent supermarket with a delicious and inexpensive bakery. Open 10:00-22:00.
Pantip Market (also known as the Night Market) is a must for low cost snacks or your evening dinner. The food market is always filled with a mix of locals, expats and tourists. A range of food stalls gather here on a daily basis. All offering a huge choice on cuisine and at the lowest prices anywhere on the island. Here you can enjoy a taste sensation of local Thai dishes. Plus Italian, Indian, vegetarian and other western style cuisine.
The Saturday night market in Koh Phangan starts from around 4 PM, where the old high street in Thongsala comes alive. Hundreds of locals and visiting tourists visit, looking for a bargain at the Koh Phangan Night Market. Simply head towards the main post office or the road that runs along the boat pier. You’ll smell the food stalls at the Saturday Night Market Koh Phangan, well before you even see them. And you’ll hear the chatter of the crowds from streets away.
- '''Kokomo's kitchen''', Ao nai wok - north of thongsala @ Baan Manali Resort (7 min walking from Thongsala road to haad yao.), ☎ 077377917, . 8.00 am to 10.00pm. Traditional, exotic, original recipe. on the beach, excellent breakfast, most of the food are home made , yoghurt, jam, bread, muesli, ice cream, etc.. between 100 to 200 baht. edit
- Nira's Bakery, (facing towards the sea, on the same road as the pier, about a block south.). Great bakery with a range of sliced and unsliced bread (cracked wheat, rye, etc.). It's also a cafe with nice food and Wi-Fi. edit
- Pizza Chiara. A simple but complete italian restaurant, located near 7-11 and night market. Good pizzas and pastas, helpful Italian owner. edit
- Umi, 73/10 Moo 1, Thong Sala, ☎ +66 77 377 815, . 10:00-18:00. Vegetarian good food! Simple and delicious curries, salads, and soups from around the world. Daily specials menu including Indian, Korean, African, Mediterranean and other world food. edit
- Yellow Cafe. 07:30-17:00. A Ko Pha Ngan original, famous for delicious deli snacks, hill tribe coffee and lush a tropical garden. edit
- A's Famous Diner and Deli, 146 Thong Sala (Opposite Krung Thai Bank in Soi Krung Thai), ☎ +66 77 377 226, . One of Koh Phangan's first restaurants. Excellent service, high quality food and relaxing atmosphere. Known for their home-roasted coffee and superb home-roasted beef. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner - kids love it too. edit
- AmStardam Bar, (high on a hill, north of Thong Sala). Amazing sunset views, and sometimes hosts a "warm up" party to the Full Moon a few days in advance. edit
- The Harp Bar, 74/4 Moo 1 (opposite the pier). 09:00-02:00. A new Irish pub. Serve food from 09:00-24:00. Great menu with traditional Irish and worldwide food. Full-size pool table and a cool free jukebox. edit
- The Masons Arms, 145/5 Thong Sala (just outside Thong Sala on the coast road to Had Yao.), ☎ +66 77 238 526, . A proper pub with draught beers, pool, darts, table football, beer gardens, and traditional pub food. Air con in the bar makes for a nice retreat to enjoy a few pints. edit
- B52 Beach Resort, . The Resort is located on Ban Tai beach, only 5 minutes to walk from city centre where you can take advantage of the the many shops, food markets, bars and restaurants. It is around 10 km or half an hour to Haad Rin where the full moon party takes place each month. 1,600-4,100 baht. edit
- Baan Manali Resort, 210/20 Moo 1, ☎ +66 77 377917, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. Hiding under a coconut plantation in front of the lagoon facing the sunset, this is a place to relax and refuel. Resort restaurant, Kokomo's Kitchen, serves traditional, exotic & original recipes. Most of the food, like jams, yoghurt, bread, muesli, coconut milk, ice cream, is home made. Excellent breakfast. 1,250-2,590 baht. edit
- Asia Blue Beach Hostel Hacienda (party hostel koh phangan), 100/3 Moo.1 Baan Tai, Thong Sala / Bantai, Koh Phangan 84240, ☎ +66 (0) 98 032 8649, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Offering basic dorm rooms to private bungalows and private rooms. Asia Blue Beach Hostel Hacienda is an experience unlike anything else on the beautiful island of Koh Phangan. Offering more than just a place to stay. Situated in Thong Sala and only minutes from the main town and pier. Owned and managed by a crew of vibrant, energetic people – ready to make your stay one to remember. An on-site restaurant serves delicious Thai and Western cuisine and offers free Wi-Fi. Relax in the lounge, watch a movie or chill on the beach. Enjoy the inviting beach front swimming pool with pool bar. Gym facilities are available and resident PADI 5 Star Dive Centre. 150-2000 baht. edit
- Shambhala Bungalow Village, Nai Wok beach, 2 km north of Thong Sala (on the beach, 100 m before Amstardam Bar), . New bungalows built in natural materials in a nice garden with lots of trees, 5 minutes north of Thong Sala by motorbike, 15/20 min walking. The beach is great but has the same low tide problem in summer as on all the west coast of Ko Pha Ngan, little water during the day, but the lagoon is beautiful and the beach was always nearly empty. Owned by a sweet Thai woman that speaks good English and is helpful, all staff is from her family. There is a beach restaurant (but breakfast is not included), 3 beach bungalows, the others are behind on stilts with sea view. No air-con, it feels more like well done half open wooden huts. Large balcony with bamboo table, floor mattresses, hammock. Free Wi-Fi. 600-1,200 baht depending on beachfront/seaview and season. edit
- Buakao Inn Guesthouse, 146 Thong Sala (Opposite Krung Thai Bank), ☎ +66 77 377 226, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Safe, convenient and clean guesthouse in the heart of Thong Sala. Close to the piers, Pantip night market, 7-11's and restaurants in Thong Sala. All rooms have ensuite bathrooms, hot water showers, free WiFi, bottled water and daily housekeeping. 350-650. edit
Thong Sala is fairly well serviced and has numerous facilities in the town. There is a Police Station, International Hospital (with English-speaking doctors and staff), many laundry services, several pharmacies, a post office, five banks, several ATMs, money exchange and western unions and Tesco Lotus.
- Thong Nai Pan - secluded east coast beaches
- Haad Rin (Hat Rin) - site of the famous Full Moon Party. A taxi from Thong Sala to Haad Rin is almost always 100 Baht, and you can share a taxi with 10-12 people as you get off the ferry.
- ferry to Don Sak 05.00, 07.00, 11.00, 13.00, 17.00 (2.5 hours)