The Woodlands is located 28 miles north of downtown Houston along Interstate 45 in Texas. Although it began as a suburban development and a bedroom community, it also has attracted corporations and unique shopping to the area. In addition to residential and corporate housing, The Woodlands features a shopping mall, seven golf courses, and The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion Regional Concert Venue, and a 4 star rated The Woodlands Resort.
The closest airport to The Woodlands is Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), which is about 25 minutes southeast of The Woodlands and is serviced by most major airlines. Houston's William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) is about an hour's drive south of The Woodlands and is serviced by American Airlines, Delta, jetBlue, and Southwest.
For the concert hall and most shopping, take I-45 North from Houston and exit Woodlands Parkway, then right on Six Pines Dr. You can usually find plenty of free parking, but be wary of evenings when concerts are occurring.
Be careful of parking. The Woodlands is situated very conveniently to several high-end hotels, shops, and a major concert area. Traffic and parking can be troublesome, so use caution. Under normal circumstances, The Woodlands Mall parking lot is a safe bet, although other garages may be open as well. Enter at your own risk.
- Waterway Cruiser. For a relaxing ride and checking out the scenery, you can take a Waterway Cruiser along the 1.4-mile corridor of The Woodlands Waterway®. On the East end is The Woodlands Mall and on the West end areTown Green Park, The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets $5.00 per person purchased on the Cruiser. Ages 4 & under and 80 & over ride free. Active or retired military personnel who present ID ride free. Private charters are also available.
There are over 60 miles of trails and sidewalks within the Woodlands, although the majority service the local neighborhoods. Although most homes are not within reasonable walking distance, It is perfectly possible to park in the shopping center and take on foot to the hotels, movie theatre, and the local shops. Be careful of traffic and use signals when possible, and always cross at crosswalks. Texas drivers are not known for yielding.
- Woodlands Trolley. The Trolley is a free bus service traveling among the restaurants, shops, and hotels. It is currently on a two-year study program and may or may not be continued. Map online here .
The Woodlands is one of the very few areas in Houston where biking is practical. Most shopping malls and shopping centers provide bicycle parking in central locations. As with other pedestrians, be wary of traffic and other individuals. The use of lights, reflectors, and helmets is highly recommended.
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, 2005 Lake Robbins Dr., tel. 281-363-3300, . The Houston area's premier outdoor music venue, featuring big national and international acts of all genres. There are also park-grounds located next door, perfect for a picnic on non-concert days. Occasionally, special festivities may be held. Check website for schedule.
- Riva Row Boathouse, 2101 Riva Row, 281-210-3965 ([email protected]), . Open 9:00am-8:00pm M/Th-Su. Rent a kayak and paddle down Lake Woodlands, taking in views of the town center and the large houses along the water. At the very south end of the lake you can spot Nessie, a sculpture depicting the Loch Ness Monster. $15-20 per hour (single kayaks $15/hour, tandem kayaks $20/hour, $5 per additional hour).
There are hundreds of shops, many upscale and sometimes unique and pricey. The primary sections can be classified into four sections.
- The Woodlands Mall, 1201 Lake Woodlands Dr, Suite 700 The Woodlands, Texas 77380, ☎ (281) 363-3409, . One of the premier malls in the Houston area with five anchor stores including Dillard's, JCPenney, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Forever 21. edit
- 24 Waterway, 24 Waterway. Located among the hotels, office buildings and waterway. Primarily a selection of restaurants and bars with a movie theatre. The lower level near the river (northside) includes a larger-than-usual fountain display with music and a children's play area.
- Market Street, . Immediately west of the mall. Upscale shops, HEB, several restaurants, and a small theatre. The grounds include a smaller, but well-designed water-play area for children and a grassy-greens area for picnics or soccer.
- I-45. On the I-45 corridor.
All but the I-45 Corridor are within reasonable walking distance, although sidewalks may not always be available. When in doubt, ask for directions or use the free trolley service. Be careful of traffic and other hazards.
There are always new restaurants opening in the area, from local to international, chains to one-of-a-kind.
- HEB, 9595 Six Pines Rd, ☎ (281) 292-2080. Actually a grocery store, but has an "On the Run" quick-serve with indoor and outdoor self-seating. Inexpensive. edit
- Viva Itacate, 544 Sawdust Rd, ☎ 281-298-7377, . Mexican bakery known for their coffee, empanadas, churros, quiche, and pastries. edit
- Lucky Cafe, 27120 Glen Loch Dr, ☎ 281-298-2211. Family-run Vietnamese restaurant known for their excellent pho, excellent dry vermicelli dishes, and above-average Chinese entrees. edit
- Beck's Prime, 2120 Buckthorne Pl, ☎ 281-367-3600. Excellent gourmet hamburgers cooked over a mesquite grill Moderate. edit
- Grimaldi's Pizzeria, 20 Waterway Ave Ste. 100 The Woodlands, TX 77380, ☎ 281-465-3500, . An offshoot of the popular New York City pizza chain, they are famous for making pizza using a coal-fired brick oven. edit
- Amerigo's, 25250 Grogan's Park Drive, ☎ 281-362-0808. Italian-influenced dishes Expensive. edit
- Jasper's, Market Street Square, ☎ 281-298-6600 (fax: 281-298-6621), . Upscale backyard cuisine. Expensive. edit
- Schilleci’s New Orleans Kitchen, 9595 Six Pines Drive, Suite 1120 The Woodlands, Texas 77380, ☎ 281-419-4242, . Restaurant serving Cajun/Creole cuisine. They also have weekly happy hours specials and outdoor dining edit
- 1252 Tapas Bar, 9595 Six Pines Drive, Suite 670 The Woodlands, TX 77380, ☎ 281-419-1260, . A locally-owned restaurant and bar featuring a wide variety of authentic Spanish tapas. edit
- Baker Street Pub and Grill, 25 Waterway Avenue, Suite 100, tel. 281-362-7431. Stepping into a Baker St. is like being transported to London’s traditional Victorian pubs with an American flare, said Edgar Carlson, co-owner of HUSA, which manages 221B Baker St. Pub & Grill. Amidst dark wood paneling, antiques, and decorative bric-a-brac, guests will find a full-service kitchen cooking up signature British favorites such as award-winning Baker St. Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, and Shepherd’s Pie as well as regional favorites of burgers, soups, salads and sandwiches. Rounding out the Cheers magazine 2005 “best menu” is a selection of 20 draught beers and ales, wines and signature cocktails.
- Crush Wine Lounge, 20 Waterway Ave, tel. 281-362-7874. Unique as well as affordable wine selections for every palate. Crush will also feature a gourmet appetizer menu, with the option of ordering meals from its neighboring restaurants to be served in-house.
- Rio24 Cigars & Premier Bar, 24 Waterway Ave., tel. 281-298-8885. Rio24 will feature a selection of fine cigars from their extensive humidor, along with an exceptional collection of Scotches, bourbons, foreign and domestic beer, a preferred wine list and traditional or favorite martinis. While not a restaurant, Rio24 will offer guests a great menu from neighboring restaurants on request.
- Hyatt Market Street, The Woodlands, 9595 Six Pines, Suite 1100, ☎ (281) 203-5005, . edit
- Marriott Woodlands Waterway Hotel & Convention Center, 1601 Lake Robbins Drive • The Woodlands, Texas 77380, ☎ 281-367-9797, . The Woodlands Waterway Marriott is located on The Waterway in Town Center, adjacent to retail shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues and is connected to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion via a covered Sky Bridge. edit
- Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, 2301 North Millbend Drive, The Woodlands, Texas 77380, ☎ 281-367-1100, . The Woodlands Resort is a modern resort hotel located in The Woodlands, featuring a golf course, spa, and tennis courts. edit