Tecate  is a small city in Baja California (state) on the border with California, about an hour east of Tijuana. There is a small town, also named Tecate on the US side. It sits in the shade of the sacred mountain Cuchama or Tecate Peak.
From San Diego, take Highway 94 east.
From Tijuana, Take the toll road ("cuota") that parallels Mexico Highway 2, 30 miles east. Highway 2 then leads east about 80 miles to Mexicali by way of the notorious "Rumorosa Grade". There are buses available from Tijuana. It takes roughly two hours and will eventually drop you off in the centre of Tecate.
From Ensenada take Mexico Highway 3 east. The highway is two lanes and is about a 75 minute drive to the border crossing.
Tecate's border crossing is probably the easiest in California. You can pay a few dollars to park at one of the lots on the US side and walk across the border. It can also be an alternative border crossing to get back into the US; it's less crowded than the San Ysidro and Otay Mesa border crossings (to get back into the US). It will be a long drive from Tijuana, but it will save you some time.
Central Square in Tecate, Mexico
- US Customs Border Crossing Station 
- Rancho La Puerta  health spa. The Golden Door is another Spa that was later established by Deborah Szekely, a co-founder of Rancho La Puerta.
- The yearly Tecate-Ensenada bike ride.
- California Motorsport Adventours Based in San Diego. Off road adventure tours for people of all riding abilities. Everyone welcome: families, couples, friends, single riders, bachelor and corporate groups. Full day excursions or longer tours available also. Ride in the dunes and then enjoy a guided adventure into the surrounding mountain trails. Our trips out to Tecate are 2 to 4 days long. Contact the office for reservations and inquiries.
- Tecate Brewery Tour, Dr. Arturo Guerra #7, ☎ 665-654-9490 or 656-654-9478, . Mon–Fri: 10:00am-12:00pm, 3:00pm–4:30pm, Sat: 9:00am–10:30am.
Tecate has a central shopping plaza, but those crossing the border and looking for souvenirs will be disappointed.
- Tacos Dumas. Affordable restaurant featuring typical Mexican cuisine.
Tecate is home to the namesake Tecate Brewery , which offers tours.
- Beer House GastroBar, Boulevard Benito Juárez 683, ☎ +52 665 122 1415, . A smaller venue that offers many different types of beer.
- Terraza La Choperia, Blvd. Benito Juárez No.981, La Hacienda, . A bar that has both an upstairs and downstairs area. There are drink deals on most nights that can be taken advantage of.
- Estancia Inn, Blvd. Benito Juárez 1450, Encanto Sur, 21440, ☎ +52 665 521 3066, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. Nice hotel just off the main road into Tecate, located about a 20 minute walk away from the center of the town. There are cheaper options available, but if you don't mind spending more, this is a good option. $60-$80USD.
- Motel La Hacienda, Blvd. B. Juarez 861 Pte., ☎ +52 665 654 1250. Motel sits about a 15 minute walk from the center of town and is a slightly cheaper option than the Estancia Inn.
- The Vinicola L.A. Cetto winery, along Highway 3, offers tours.
- California Motorsport Adventours Off road adventure tours to the LA Cetto WInery. Begin the San Diego or Puerto Nuevo Baja. Minimum 4 riders. Contact the office for reservations.
- Guadelupe Canyon hot springs, with nearby hiking and petroglyphs, is located 30 miles down a dirt road east of La Rumorosa.