Taunton Green at Christmas time, 2006
Taunton is a city in Massachusetts. Its nicknames are the "The Silver City" and "The Christmas City" refers to Taunton's long history of silversmithing and its long tradition of festive Christmas displays and celebration. It is a small city that is very rich in history, well chronicled in the city's only museum.
Taunton is crossed by Interstate 495 and is very near Route 24 which heads north to Boston. Interstate 95 is only about 15 minutes away. A half-hour drive to/from Plymouth and Providence, Rhode Island via US-44. It is about a 40-minute drive away from the Cape Cod Canal via Interstate 495/Route 25, also New Bedford via Route 140.
- Taunton Municipal Airport (ICAO: KTAN), Westcoat Drive, East Taunton, Phone: +1 508-821-2973, Fax: +1 508-821-3723, . Small regional airport with 3,500ft and 2,500ft runways.
Boston express service
- DATTCO, designated service stops: Silver City Galleria Mall - MassHighway Park & Ride and Silver City Galleria Mall - Bertucci's Pizza Shelter (no service before 9AM weekdays), . Fairly inexpensive coach bus service that runs to/from Boston's South Station complex. Boston, Taunton, New Bedford, and other selected destinations in between. This service does run to/from Boston's South Station. Standard fare: Boston via Taunton adult $10 one way/$15 round trip, child $7 one way/$13 round trip, Taunton via New Bedford adult $8 one way/$15 round trip, child $6 one way/$11 round trip.
- H & L Bloom Bus Line, 10 Oak Street, Toll Free: +1 800-323-3009, Phone: +1 508-822-1991, email: [email protected], . Fairly inexpensive motorcoach bus service that runs to/from Boston, Taunton, and other selected destinations inbetween. This service does run to/from Boston's South Station Area, not the South Station complex itself. Standard fare: Boston via Taunton $9 one way, Taunton via Fall River $5 one-way, children 5 to 12 yrs old: half price, children under 5 yrs old: free.
- The Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority (GATRA), 10 Oak Street, Toll Free: +1 800-483-2500, Phone: +1 508-823-8828, Fax: +1 508-824-3474, TDD: +1 508-824-7439, email: [email protected], . Convenient and relatively inexpensive city bus service throughout the city, some surrounding areas, and to Providence, Rhode Island.
- Old Colony Historical Society, 66 Church Green, Phone: +1 508-822-1622, email: [email protected], . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Adults $4, children and seniors $2.
- Taunton Green, downtown. The city's center/town square features walking paths, war memorial statues, benches, a water fountain, the American flag and the city's flag swaying on a high flagpole, a scenic view of downtown, a grand Christmas display of lights (during Christmas time), other events, etc. There is even a statue of Robert Treat Paine, a citizen of Taunton and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- Hughes/Donahue Art Gallery, 45 Emma Ave (corner of Bay St. and Emma Ave; off 495 Exit 12), ☎ 508-823-3107, . Sat/Sun PM. Hughes/Donahue Gallery (2007) is a private gallery; it exhibits art works of local artists in Taunton and surrounding towns/cities, including Providence, Narragansett, Coventry RI. It opens in April and closes in November. Exhibits are free. Artists may exhibit their works for free. Contact Art director Darrell Hughes at the above phone. edit
- Wildlife found within the city's limits: birds (many variety), Blue Jays, Canadian Geese, Catfish, Coyotes, Diamondback terrapin (turtles), Eastern Chipmunks, Eastern Gray Squirrels, Field Mice, Foxes, Garter Snakes, Hawks, Raccoons, Mallard (ducks), Megabats, Muskrats, New England Cottontail (rabbits), North American River Otters, Owls, river & pond fish, Virginia Opossums, White Swans, White-tailed Deer, Wild Turkeys, etc.
- Gertrude Boyden Wildlife Sanctuary, 1298 Cohannet Street, Phone: +1 508-821-1676. Open year-round 9AM-sunset. Free admission . A small heavily-wooded wildlife sanctuary by the Three Mile River, that offers (unmaintained) hiking trails, an (unmaintained) botanical garden, bathrooms, beautiful wooden bridges, bird watching, and picnic grounds.
Parks and Recreation
- Canoe Passage Outfitters, 120 Ingell Street, Phone: +1 800-689-7884, email: [email protected], . Kayak and canoe rentals are offered, as well as a variety of guided tours/trips (with rated skill levels) throughout the local Narragansett Bay Watershed. The guided tours/trips that is offered are the following: kayak, canoe, photography, snorkeling, swimming, moonlit, kids kayak camp, etc.
- Hartshorn Park, off of Winter Street. A heavily wooded city park.
- Hopewell Park, off of Hopewell Street. A large city park that offers woodlands, a river, walking paths, sports facilities, a public swimming pool, etc.
- John F. Parker Municipal Golf Course, 17 Fisher Street, Phone: +1 508-822-1797, Fax: +1 508-977-0841, . A 9-hole public golf course that features 3,034 yards of golf, competitions & leagues, and golf cart rentals. Season is from April 1st to November 30th, which is open daily from 7AM to dusk.
- Massasoit State Park, Middleboro Avenue, East Taunton, Phone: +1 508-822-7405, . The city's largest park that offers a wide range of recreational activities, such as, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting (restrictions), mountain biking, picnicking, swimming, skiing (cross-country), etc.
- Memorial Park, off of Somerset Avenue/Route 138. A city park that features a pond, benches, memorial statues, hills, playgrounds, walking paths, and some seasonal activities.
- Segregansett Country Club, 85 Gulliver Street, Phone: +1 508-824-9110, Fax: +1 508-821-3869, email: [email protected], . A private country club facility that features an 18-hole golf course with 6,632 yards of golf, golf cart rentals, tournaments, banquet facilities, etc.
- Taunton Memorial Skating Rink, 150 Gordon Owen Riverway, Phone: +1 508-824-4987. An indoor ice skating rink, with ice skate rentals.
- Watson Pond State Park, Bay Road, A seasonally-operated 10 acre park that offers a picnic facility, a small freshwater beach, bathrooms, a wide range of seasonal recreational activities, etc. There is a $2.00 parking fee.
- Weir Village Riverfront Park, off of W Water Street. A small riverfront park that offers a bandstand, events, and a scenic view of old Weir Village and the Taunton River.
- Westside Park, off of Clifford Street. A heavily wooded (dry & wet -land) city park near the Mulcahey Middle School grounds.
- Reed & Barton, 144 West Britannia Street, Toll Free: +1 800-343-1383, . The factory site and headquarters of Reed & Barton, world-renowned for its fine silverware. Also, it's historically known for producing the 1996 Summer Olympics [in Atlanta, Georgia] medals.
- The Silver City Galleria, 2 Galleria Mall Drive (off of Routes 24 & 140), East Taunton, Phone: +1 508-823-3333, . A large two-floor indoor shopping mall complex with several hundreds of stores, a cinema, a bank, and a food court. Its six anchor stores are: Dick's Sporting Goods, JC Penney, Macy's, Sears, Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, and Tuesday Morning.
- Taunton Depot, Taunton Depot Drive (off of Route 140), East Taunton. A shopping center that features the following stores: Home Depot, Kohl's, PETCO, Target, and other lesser-known stores.
- Joe's Diner, 51 Broadway/Route 138, Phone: 1 508-823-2193. A popular diner scene experience within a retro-50's silver-tinted trailer.
- Off Broadway Diner, 19 Taunton Green, Phone: +1 508-880-7700.
- Bella Roma, 239 Broadway/Route 138, Phone: +1 508-823-5558. Italian-cuisine.
- Ninety Nine Restaurant & Pub, 158 Dean Street/US-44 & Route 104, Phone: +1 508-821-9922, .
- Homeplate Bay Street Grill, 1094 Bay Street, Phone: "+1" 508-823-1000, .
- Bristol Sports Zone, 260 W Water Street, Phone: +1 508-823-2422.
- Curley's Pub, 431 Winthrop Street, Phone: +1 508-823-8664.
- Robert's Pub, 64 Weir Street, Phone: +1 508-824-1512.
- Pub 76, 76 Weir Street, Phone: +1 508-822-0391.
- Smitty's Sports Pub, 445 Bay Street, Phone: +1 508-828-9928.
- Willy J's Pub, 599 Winthrop Street (Across from the Auto Auction), ☎ 508-880-5877. always a $2 draft! now serving food! inexpensive. edit
- Holiday Inn, 700 Myles Standish Blvd, Phone: +1 508-823-0430, . A seven story two-star hotel within the Myles Standish Industrial Park, it offers banquet facilities, thirteen meeting rooms, indoor swimming pools, two ballrooms, a restaurant, etc. Nightly rates average about $104.91 - $109.95.
Also try nearby Raynham or Middleborough for lodging choices.
Taunton is an excellent starting point for any tour of southern New England.
- The city is located in the central hub of southeastern Massachusetts, where most of the region's major roads cross in or near Taunton's center.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!