Taoyuan(桃園) is an industrial city in northern Taiwan.
Taoyuan is primarily an industrial city and has few distinctive features. However, if you get stranded at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport overnight and don't want to pay over the odds at the airport hotel or travel the extra kilometers into Taipei, you might consider spending the night here. Despite lacking tourist sites, the city does have several large shopping malls, good coffee shops and, due to a large number of overseas workers employed at local factories, also boasts several cheap South Asian eateries.
- Taoyuan is about a 25 minute taxi ride from the international airport and around 30 to 40 minutes from Taipei.
- There's also a 60NT bus that leaves from the bus terminal of Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE). It is clearly marked with English and traditional Chinese characters.
Look for 9055 at bus station 4 to go to downtown Taoyuan
- The is a shuttle bus from the airport to Tao-Yuan HSR station at 30 NT.
- The down town area is small enough to cover on foot.
- Taxi cabs are relatively cheap, starting at around 80NT plus 5NT per .3km.
- The city has its own bus system which is decent and covers the major parts of town, but no where near as convenient as Taipei's MRT/bus system.
- The train station is in the downtown, and fares are more than affordable.
- The new High Speed Railway (HSR) has a stop near the outskirts of town and can shuttle people from Taoyuan to Taipei in around 12 minutes for around 120 NT. The HSR covers almost the entire length of Taiwan, but a trip spanning the entire length will cost around 2200NT.
- Buses run to other cities as well. A bus trip to Taipei will cost 65NT.
- shopping - the city has some good department stores.
- Tigerhead mountain (Hu Tou Shan) is a popular spot for first dates and also has well-maintained hiking trails. Watch out for snakes if you're hiking. There are a few snack shops at the top of the mountain.
- The town also has a large IKEA store.
- Off of NanKan road is Taimall, one of the biggest malls in Taiwan.
- Costco, No 369, Section 1, Nankan Road, Luzhu Township, ☎ 3-270-6888, . 10am - 9:30pm / 7 days. Local branch of the big US bulk warehouse store. Lots of US products, including food. edit
- Popcorn chicken is a local speciality sold from street corner stalls.
- Bistrot Latini, No. 128 Shin-pu 6th Street (Shin pu is off of Da Xing between Jing Guo and Jung Jeng), ☎ 03-3463461, . 11-8. Recently renovated, Latini offers simple but well-cooked Italian food. The owner and head chef, Dan Wu, speaks English and is very helpful and friendly. Try the pumpkin soup and panini. Also offers a good selection of fancy coffees.. including espresso with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. $150 NT and up. edit
- Cong dra bing (pronounced tsong draw bing) is a scallion pancake that the vendor cooks on a griddle and fluffs up before searing on scrambled egg and a variety of toppings like bacon and fresh basil. The traditional sauce they put on top is soy-based, but you can ask for spicy. Absolutely delicious. Usually a daytime snack, sold on the side of the street by SK II downtown or by Nova computer store.
- Carrefour, Jing guo road (near Da Xing on Jing Guo). In addition to the obvious groceries, this French-owned grocery store has a food court on the top floor with good options. Sushi express, 8 things (Japanese with 7 small side dishes), a Thai restaurant, Meet Fresh, McDonalds and several noodle soup and fried chicken places. edit
- The 3 Baboons Sports Bar & Grill, Taimall Shopping Center, 112 Nankan Rd, Sec 1. Luchu Hsieng, Taoyuan County, ☎ +886 3 212 2150, . 11am-12am. A sports bar and grill featuring western specialties, draught beer, wines and spirits, and a large screen TV for live sports and other events. Foosball, darts, and billiards table. Saturday Night Live Music, Happy Hours, Weekday Lunch Menu. Located on the 1st floor of Taimall Shopping Centre. edit
- Tea shops. You can barely walk 100m in Taoyuan without running into a tea shop. Ching xin, Coco and 85 degrees are some of the biggest brands. Ask for green tea (lu cha) or oolong tea. They'll ask how much sugar and ice you want, and shake up your tea like a martini before handing it to you in a sealed cup in a scooter-friendly bag. If you're feeling adventurous, you can add pudding (bu ding), pearls (zhen zhu) or yogurt (duo duo). Other helpful words: grapefruit: pu tao you lemon: ning meng milk tea: nai cha hot: re de cold: bing de
- KG Landmark Hotel, 107 Mingshen Road. Tel:+886 3 337-0888 - a good business hotel and the tallest building in the city.
- Monarch Plaza Hotel, 300 Chuang Ching Road. Tel:+886 3 316-9900 - A five-star business hotel with several amenities and restaurants including a Teppenyaki grill.
- Fuyam Tourist Home No.180-7 Hualing Village, Fuxing shiang, Taoyuan, Taiwan Tel:+886 3 3912-090- Located at Lalashan Natural protection zone.They also provide package tour of Lalashan (reservation is required) 
- Well Garden Hotel (薇緹花園飯店), No. 703, Zhongzheng Road Taoyuan, Taoyuan Municipality 33047 Taiwan, ☎ +886 33465566, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Set in Taoyuan in the Taoyuan Municipality Region, 22 km from Taipei, Well Garden Hotel features a sun terrace and fitness centre. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Free WiFi is offered and free private parking is available on site. Each room is equipped with a flat-screen TV. Certain rooms have a seating area for your convenience. You will find a kettle in the room. Each room is fitted with a private bathroom fitted with a bath. For your comfort, you will find free toiletries and a hairdryer. You will find a 24-hour front desk at the property. Wulai is 29 km from Well Garden Hotel, while Hsinchu City is 40 km away. The nearest airport is Taoyuan Airport, 12 km from the property. From 1,880 TWD/ 晚. edit
- Ying Zhen Hotel (櫻珍大飯店), No. 154, Taoyin Road Taoyuan, Taoyuan Municipality 330 Taiwan, ☎ +886 33764599, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Ying Zhen Hotel offers accommodation in Taoyuan. Operating a 24-hour front desk, Ying Zhen Hotel is situated conveniently within a 5-minute drive to Taoyuan Train Station. Free Wi-Fi access is available in the entire property and complimentary parking is provided on site. The hotel is just a 12-minute drive to Yingge Ceramic Museum and Yingge Old Street. It is a 5-minute drive from Nanqiao Factory, Sha Yang Ye Robot DreamWorks, Taoyuan Stadium or Taoyuan Railway Station. It is a 5-minute walk from Taoyuan Women Centre and a 12-minute drive from Republic of Chocolate. Taoyuan city centre is a 15-minute walk from the property. Taoyuan International Airport and Taoyuan HSR Station are within a 27-minute drive away. from 1600 TWD. edit
- Jing Dian Business Hotel (京典商務旅館), 9F, No. 60, Zhongzheng Road Taoyuan, Taoyuan Municipality 330 Taiwan, ☎ +886 33381501, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Set in Taoyuan, 22 km from Taipei, Jing Dian Business Hotel boasts air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi throughout the property. Free private parking is available on site.The inn also offers car hire. Jiaoxi is 50 km from Jing Dian Business Hotel, while Wulai is 28 km away. Taoyuan Airport is 14 km from the property. from 1300 TWD. edit
- Yuankuang. Founded in 1917, it is the earliest Buddhist academy in Taiwan. Yuankuang is located in the country-side near Taoyuan.
- Yingge. Located between Taipei and Taoyuan is the interesting pottery town of Yingge. 'Old Street' is lined with stores selling the works of local potters and is a pleasant place to pass a few hours.