Talkeetna is a small town in Southcentral Alaska around 3 hours (by car) south of Denali National Park and Preserve.
Talkeetna can be reached by car or by small plane, and those who visit may never want to leave. The town is also a stop on the Alaskan railroad, on the Denali Star.
Weather permitting, flightseeing out of Talkeetna will take you around North America's tallest peak. Mount McKinley (or Denali to Alaskans) is a short flight from this small Alaskan town. Land on a glacier at the base of Mt. McKinley and experience the excitement of standing among the great peaks; the immense scale will astound you.
- K2 Aviation, Talkeetna Airport, ☎ 907-733-2291, . Flightseeing of different mountains, glaciers and climbing routes of Denali, offers glacier and lake landings. Associated with Rust's Flying Service, operating since 1963. edit
- Talkeetna Air Taxi, . Offers flight seeing and glacier landings. edit
Visit Whole Wheat Radio http://www.wholewheatradio.org - a webcast and house concert series playing independent music (singer-songwriters, blues, jazz, other adult genres) originating in Talkeetna.
Rafting and kayaking trips leave daily from Talkeetna.
As the town nearest to McKinley, it is a jump-off point for climbing enthusiasts. If you are up for the climb, air taxi service is available from Talkeetna for the sure-footed, intrepid adventurers that are going to climb McKinley, Hunter or Foraker.
- Denali Guides & Outfitters, P.O. Box 93, ☎ 1 (970) 733-2566, . Offers professionally guided hunting trips. edit
- Wings and Paws, (Off Montana Creek Spur), ☎ (907) 733 - 7297, . Dog sled day tours by a retired Naval Aviator and Iditarod competitor. Cash only. edit
The small town has lots of shops, with the usual tourist stuff as well as galleries of crafts, fabric art, photos, woodwork from local artists.
- Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe (Talkeetna Bakery), Mile 11 Talkeetna Spur Road (three miles out of town), ☎ 907-733-NUTS, . Casual counter service cafe with fresh whole grain breads, creative sweet and savory deli-style items, wood fired brick oven and organic Alaska roasted espresso. edit
- Mountain High Pizza Pie, Main St, ☎ +1-907-733-1234. Excellent pizza and a fun place to meet locals. edit
- Talkeetna Roadhouse, Main St, . Great place to eat with its own bakery. Atmosphere is very informal with shared family-style seating. edit
- My Little Dumpling (The Dump), Main St. (just downtown, next to Wildflower Cafe), . till 2am. Handmade Pelmeni, Spring Rolls, Exotic Teas and other specialties. Delish! $. edit
- The West Rib cafe and Pub, Main St, . Make sure to try the infamous Ice Axe Ale made especially for the The West Rib. Containing 11% alcohol by volume, you can only order two glasses, unless you buy a pitcher. Great burgers and Alaska Salmon and Halibut sandwiches served daily throughout the summer. Located behind Historic Nagleys Store, this funky little pub has a great outdoor deck as well as indoor seating. Eleven microbrews on tap, mostly from Alaskan breweries. The place is filled with historic and climber related stuff. Fun to explore and you can write your name on certain walls. edit
- Twister Creek Restaurant (Denali Brewing Company), E Main St, . Very good restaurant attached to the brew house. Outdoor seating edit
- Talkeetna Hostel International, I Street (off of mile 99 of the Parks Highway), Ph: (907) 733-4678, Fax: (907) 733-4679, [email protected], . Rates $27 - $75 per night (Bunk bed, shared room: $27 - linens $3 extra, Private double: $60/night, Private single: $75/night).
- Traleika Mountaintop Cabins Two unique Alaskan vacation homes for your exclusive use. The mountaintop location provides unparalleled views of Denali and its neighboring peaks. Rates from $165. (Traleika Mountaintop Cabins)
- Talkeeta Chalet B&B with views of Denali from the upstairs common room. Rates from $80 (winter, small room) to more. (Talkeetna Chalet)
- Latitude 62 Small motel with restaurant and bar a few blocks south of downtown. Rooms are clean but very small, prices reasonable. (Talkeetna Chalet)
- Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge, Mile 12.5 Talkeetna Spur Rd, Ph: (907) 733-9500, Fax: (907) 733-9545, [email protected], . Beautiful lodge located in the woods on a hill above Talkeetna. Observation deck with view of the complete Denali Mountain Range. Free transfer to and from the train station as well as to the town of Talkeetna. Rates: $219 - $395/night (Mountain Side), $169 - $295 (Main Lodge), $149 - $265 (Guest Lodge).
- Denali National Park. Talkeetna is the town climbers use for staging for mountain expeditions to Mt McKinley. The entrance to Denali National Park is another 2.5 hours north. The state park is closer, but still up the highway. Mt McKinley or Denali as its called by locals is in Denali National Park and can be seen from many places in Talkeetna. Climbers use the town to fly into base camp, as this location is closest to the mountain.