Get in::By car
I would be happy if somebody who really travel Poland using car, review and fix Warsaw::By car section. I did it using map, but my practical knowledge is very limited. And in Poland shortest way may really differ from best one. -- JanSlupski 17:52, 15 Jan 2005 (EST)
Tourist Information - where?
Added information about Tourist Information points in Warsaw, and put in temporarly in Get Around
section. However I'm not sure if it is the best place. Was trying to search for tourist information
sequence among other articles, but didn't notice any rule where such information is normally placed. -- JanSlupski 14:57, 16 Jan 2005 (EST)
- Tourist Information centres can fulfil many functions, Get in|around|out, Sleep and See|Do (including booking them) so they don't fall easily anywhere. You could argue they are external links, but they don't fit in that definition either (as web sites); maybe it's is too restricting. Another view is they are very important to travellers and don't deserve to be in a catch all at the bottom. If there are a lot of them, then there is a placement issue because of the volume. I think I would be inclined to put them in Understand or at the top of the page for small cities (where there is only likely to be one, although I have just thought of 3 places I know where there are two, duh!). I assume they will be styled like See entries which are pretty ugly if included with flowing text and since they are so fundamental, maybe you should just plunge and create a section called Info after Understand? --Richard 2005 Jan 17
- I usually stick 'em under Contact, as they're an information resource. Jpatokal 13:07, 17 Jan 2005 (EST)
Hotel by travel agencies
Please comment if you think below addition is acceptable. I have mixed feeleings. --JanSlupski 08:08, 18 Oct 2005 (EDT)
- Many hotels offer much lower rates at online travel agency sites like Hotele24.pl, StayPoland or Hotele.net.
Other than prices that are usually 30-50% lower than the hotel's direct price, these sites often have access to special deals.
- Only if they are specific to Warsaw. We have global agencies on Finding_accommodation. Maybe these should be on ==Stay== in Poland --elgaard 13:38, 18 Oct 2005 (EDT)
If anyone wants to help out with the districting it's fairly easy, because I have a cheat:  (In Polish). I don't understand Polish, but the way that I'm able to find the information is by clicking on "Ulice" to the left of the map. I then look up listings in the main page using the street they are located on. Ulice means street in Polish. There then is a little yellow dot in one of the districts located on the small district map in the bottom right hand corner. I use that dot to find out which dot the listing belongs in and then move that listing to that district.
Thanks! -- Sapphire 17:11, 28 April 2006 (EDT)
Hi, I was requested to put a picture of WWII uprising mem. in the commons by: 220.127.116.11, so I have here
- Hi, thanks! That's my IP address is the image available under CC-BY-SA 1.0? That's the only license we can use on Wikitravel. Thanks again! -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 08:17, 24 July 2006 (EDT)
just shifted the royal road to warsaw/wilanow, needs a bit of a rewrite and reformat though. -- Tim 09:14, 8 August 2006 (EDT)
Please Help Proof-Read
If English is your mother tongue and you would like to help, here's what you can do. As you read the article from the top (I have finished rewriting it until the Public Transport section as for now), please edit out any dubious grammatical constructs you can spot. It's even better if you can go after the typos too (but please don't change the spelling from British to American English, it's not the point). Thank you. CandleWithHare 14:08, 13 August 2006 (EDT)
Massive Rewriting and Clean-Up
There are 14 top-level sections now. I have:
- removed the empty Work section,
- removed the duplicate Cope section (apparently inserted there by mistake)
- merged the Districts of Warsaw into the Get around section (at the top, under the title Orientate Yourself).
I hope the article is in compliance with the template now, at least at the top level.
Of those 14 sections, in the last two weeks I have massively rewritten: Understand, Get in, Get around, See, Do, Learn, Buy, Contact, Stay safe, Cope, Get out. It doesn't mean that they're perfect of course, but I hope they are a little better than before.
Those pending rewrite are: Eat, Sleep, Drink. I will try to edit them too if I have time in the coming days. But if anyone is willing to do some rewriting, here's where to start. CandleWithHare 19:18, 13 August 2006 (EDT)
Edit: Buy is rewritten. CandleWithHare 10:59, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
Edit 2: See and Do - ditto. CandleWithHare 13:32, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
Edit 3: Everything is rewritten now. CandleWithHare 19:04, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- The Work section should stay in there, and should have details of job centres etc for where people seeking employment whilst in the city can find it. Details on voluntary schemes/part time job agencies etc should fit in there. I think it would be useful to have a listing of the districts at the top of the page in the Districts section. Personally, I don't believe too much info on each district is required there, maybe just a few words to say where it is in the city, ie suburbs or centre, and also about what it is, ie historical district or whatever. Plus a map of the city would fit in that area aswell. Tim 13:43, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- In addition to that, empty sections should be left in, because even if presently no one knows any information, it could come along at a later date. For a brief explanation of what should go into a huge city article (like this) see Wikitravel:Huge_city_article_template Tim 13:46, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- OK, I agree as to the Districts section. For the Work section however, the template says:
- What possibilities are there for travellers to earn money in this city? Note that this is kind of long-range and probably won't be appropriate for most destinations.
- This section will probably stay empty for another year. But if it makes you feel better...
- CandleWithHare 14:36, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- :P It will eventually be filled! Plus, I refuse to believe that there is absolutely no work whatsoever in a city the size of Warsaw! Tim 14:47, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- And if it's so hard to find a job in Warsaw, why not say so? Tim 14:50, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
- Haha, no :) On the contrary, it should be quite easy to find a job as an English teacher. It's just that there's much more important information missing from the article so I feel this section is a distraction. CandleWithHare 14:58, 14 August 2006 (EDT)
Too many districts
I think there are way too many districts right now. As they're probably not very high on the average traveller's agenda, how about rolling the unbolded peripheral districts -- Bemowo, Białołęka, Bielany, Rembertów, Targówek, Ursus, Ursynów, Wawer, Wesoła, Wilanów and Włochy -- into just one called "Warsaw/Suburbs" or "Warsaw/Periphery" or something? Jpatokal 07:43, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
- Partially agreed. We shouldn't wholesale merge Wilanow. (I can't remember for sure, but it seemed to have been a fairly important city.) I'd even merge the two Pragas. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 07:54, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
- I disagree. I think it's sufficient to highlight in the Orientation section (and maybe in the infobox) the districts that are most relevant to a mainstream tourist.
- And besides, the number of articles is not supposed to cater for the needs of an "average" tourist but should be based on the amount of content in each article. And there'll be more content in the district articles when I finish.
- CandleWithHare 10:42, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
No idea where to put it for now:
CandleWithHare 07:55, 17 August 2006 (EDT)
- They're in Warsaw - Do - Events now.
- CandleWithHare 16:09, 17 August 2006 (EDT)
Redirects that can be safely deleted
CandleWithHare 18:02, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
The rewritten Warsaw article with all the sub-articles
I've finished. Let me know what you think.
- I wanted to do the itineraries too but I'm out of time. If anybody wants to pick up where I left off, the (unfinished) list of sights is at User:CandleWithHare/Warsaw.
- If you are planning to contribute, please read and consider User:CandleWithHare/Reference first to keep the article consistent (of course it's a suggestion only).
CandleWithHare 20:37, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
Can't edit this page because a link to arkadia dot com dot pl is trapped as arkadia dot com by the spam filter. I have no idea whether I should simply remove it or modify the blacklist to exclude arkadia dot com dot pl. --Episteme 14:48, 5 October 2006 (EDT)
- I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is. A~.com and a~.com.pl are unrelated. The latter is a shopping mall in Warsaw and as far as I can tell, they don't spam, or at least not here. I added a link to them, and some other shopping facilities because I think it's relevant. In the long term all such links should be removed though and replaced with contact information (street address, etc.) in the district articles. CandleWithHare 04:54, 7 October 2006 (EDT)
- I removed arkadia.com from the spam filter so hopefully that will fix everything and you can edit the page again. -- Sapphire 05:23, 7 October 2006 (EDT)
Itinerary and District boxes
The index boxes are pretty and nicely done, but are they necessary? Personally I think they're a bit Wikipedic, and I'm not a fan of how cluttered some pages over there can become with so many boxes, etc... and all of that info is in the article, anyway... Cacahuate 05:24, 17 December 2006 (EST)
- I'm in strong agreement. --Evan 09:16, 17 December 2006 (EST)
Ok, moving them here for now, for reference if needed. .:. Cacahuate 23:53, 17 January 2007 (EST)
i don't understand this. These people are legally employed, usualy students, and are just giving fliers for free. The person who wrote to 'go away as fast as you can' seems to be afraid of them. No idea why, i removed the comment, and i'm also want to remove or rewrite the whole 'touts' thing. First of all, there are many poeple with fliers all over the warsaw (not specific for centrum), second, they are NOT touts, they don't even say a word or usually don't even look at you too much, just a quick look with a flier in a hand and thats all. Really, there are TOUTS in centrum/srodmiescie - people who take money for 'taking care' of your car, after you park it. Even though they never damage my car even if i dont pay them, it seems there is a sugesstion that they will might do something to it if you dont give them 1-2zl - was never case of me or my friends, but possibility is there. So i suggest removing the whole touts thing, and adding real warsaw touts info.
Too many districts -- continued
Time has proven there are indeed too many sub-articles here. My idea is to merge them as follows:
This would rid us of the smallest articles, with no prospects for growth. I will do it if nobody objects.
If it is not enough, the article number could be reduced further, but I think this should be the first step.
CandleWithHare 16:20, 2 March 2007 (EST)
- Let's not do this, yet... First, I think, we should get our priorities in line (i.e. how to improve the guides, then after we've finished that (or at least to the best of our abilities) discuss when, how, whether or not to merge the districts. I'm starting a new page: Talk:Warsaw/Collaboration to begin the process. -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 02:43, 3 March 2007 (EST)
- IMO this issue has been already discussed above. The article is funny with such forced administrative distrification. If traveller is to come first, the districts should be merged according to Piotr's proposal above. There's no chance to include anything worth seeing in most suburbs, thus they don't merit self-sufficient article according to distrification guidelines. LukeWestwalker ⇔ 17:23, 3 September 2007 (EDT)
Is it to contain the listing of all higher education institutions? LukeWestwalker ⇔ 17:20, 7 October 2007 (EDT)
So, upon careful consideration and considering that the Warsaw article is making serious progress toward remedying the problems it had before, I'd like to suggest doing something that is mentioned above, albeit, in a different manner than proposed. My proposal is closer to Jani's.
First, merge Bielany and Biłołęka into Warsaw/North. Second, look into merging Bemowo and Ursus into Warsaw/West with a vague possibility of adding in Włochy. Third, consider merging the Eastern districts. I am suggesting to keep the Centrum districts and Włochy separate for now. Włochy seems like it could easily stand on its own and I don't think it needs to be merged. I have vague suspicions that the two Southern districts can stand on their own, especially as the city and developers are taking a little extra notice of these districts and are reconstructing some incredible landmarks. Thoughts? -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 16:51, 8 January 2008 (EST)
- I'd be even more firm. I like the way Berlin got cut up. Something similar would be to:
- leave Śródmieście as it is
- and create
- City/West with Wola, Ochota and possibly Żoliborz
- City/East with Pragas and maybe Targówek (fits geographically, maybe not culturally etc.)
- East with Wesoła, Rembertów, Wawer (Targówek)
- South with Mokotów, Ursynów, Wilanów
- West with Włochy, Ursus, Bemowo
- North with Bielany, Białołęka (possibly Żoliborz)
- Jjtk 09:02, 10 March 2012 (EST)
The understand section already defines Warsaw in terms of being rebuilt. Is this section really necessary? I have to say that although it is obviously an important part of the history, the negativity I feel after reading the section makes me less likely to visit as a traveler. --Inas 18:37, 24 November 2008 (EST)
where is the Jewish quarter information?
looks like it's been deleted. Any way to dig through the archives and reinstate? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs)
- You can go to the article, click 'history', click a date at which time the information was there, and paste the information into the article again, --ClausHansen 08:34, 21 December 2010 (EST)
- And please don't forget to check district articles first. What you might be looking for may be here: Warsaw/Śródmieście. – Vidimian 10:12, 21 December 2010 (EST)
While I appreciate the thought behind this edit, telling our readers that our guide is "outdated" seems like a really Bad Idea. Why not just update the prices to match what's current? LtPowers 10:12, 13 September 2011 (EDT)