ok i dont get it, it says dont drink the water??? applying to what water? ocean, river, bottled water idk? --CoonCat89 14:55, 19 May 2009 (EDT)
- Remark removed from Drink section, new remark in Stay Save. --Rein N. 16:19, 19 May 2009 (EDT)
I have been avoiding this one as I knew it would not be straightforward. Certainly, the 10 current travel regions to correspond with the provinces is too many. The clearest provincial map of Sumatra I have found is here.
I propose a division of this vast island as follows (north to south):
- Aceh - leave as is. Although the chances of it ever being a separate nation are greatly diminished these days, this is a special adminstrative territory which very much stands alone as far as the traveler is concerned. Has a quite a lot of good content.
- North Sumatra - leave as is. Lots of back-packer driven content and many of Sumatra's leading draws.
- Riau Islands stays as is. This is a very different region to any of the others. The highly developed Bintan is basically an extremely naff playground for Singaporeans, while many of the others are so off-the-beaten-path as to get almost no visitors.
- Bangka-Belitung stays as is. These lovely OtBP islands are likely to grow in popularity, and in any case, would be hard to incorporate into Southern Sumatra.
So that's 6 divisions (4 mainland and 2 sets of islands) rather than the unwieldy 10 we have at the moment. Any comments very gratefully received.
Map is not finished yet (no roads and rivers) but it shows the proposed region breakdown.
--Burmesedays 02:53, 16 August 2011 (EDT)