I'm really not happy with this name — we should be using the most common name, and while this may be the most "correct", it certainly isn't the most common. (How do you say "Western New Guinea" in Indonesia!?) I could be argued into either of "Papua" or "Irian Jaya". Jpatokal 11:15, 1 January 2007 (EST)
- Suggest you convert the existing Papua article from "province" to "region" and move it to Irian Jaya, remove the two province links from Indonesia#Regions, and redirect the following to Irian Jaya:
- Papua should then be redirected to Papua (disambiguation).
- ~ 18.104.22.168 13:03, 1 January 2007 (EST)
- "Irian Jaya" is politically loaded and semi-obsolete. I think "Papua" is a better term, with a disambig-link to Papua New Guinea up top. Jpatokal 22:49, 1 January 2007 (EST)
- "Papua" is ambiguous and confusing as the region we're trying to describe officially contains two provinces and "Papua" is the official name of one of those two provinces. The fact that the other province is "disputed" makes things even more ambiguous and confusing, not less. Hence "Papua" would be my last choice.
- I agree that "Irian Jaya" is less than ideal, for the reasons you cite.
- Hence "Western New Guinea" - as you say, it's the "most correct", but in addition it's also a clear geographic description, and the most helpful and easiest to relate to for those who are less familiar with the area and its language and history. I don't believe "Western New Guinea" will pose any problems for those who are more familiar.
- I rehashed Western New Guinea thus - suggest that intro and province summary or something similar be incorporated into the Papua article and then for the Papua page to be moved to Western New Guinea. ~ 22.214.171.124 07:53, 2 January 2007 (EST)
Bump. I'm still not happy with this pointless split, and will merge this back into Papua unless there are loud complaints. Jpatokal 08:52, 13 September 2007 (EDT)
- I don't think it makes sense to split this article into two subregions. Irian Jaya is the name I know, but I'm not an expert. Either way, it would be better to de-muddle this section of the Indonesian regional hierarchy with a poor name choice than to not do it at all. --Peter Talk 15:59, 12 December 2008 (EST)
- Everything finally merged under "Papua". Jpatokal 08:10, 15 January 2009 (EST)