I'm not 100% convinced that Mardi Gras in New Orleans is worth making an exception to Wikitravel:What is an article?. Ideas? --Evan 17:05, 24 May 2004 (EDT)
- Sorry if this is not the proper format here. Do you reccomend moving it back to the "New Orleans" article? My reasons for split were 1)I plan to expand the New Orleans article more (and have started doing so) 2)The Mardi Gras info is not of much relvence for people visiting New Orleans 50 & 1/2 weeks a year. Perhaps this should be "New Orleans/Mardi Gras"? -- eagar to help and to learn, Infrogmation 17:40, 24 May 2004 (EDT)
- Huh, looks like this was forgotten, but the recent New Orleans/Jazz Fest made me come look. I'm gonna belatedly second Evan's question. I think this is a Wikitravel:Slippery slope as it sets a precident for other event sub pages.
- Mixing geography / topics is a bad idea, at least until we have some way to mark article types. Mixing types totally confuses any attempt to use our breadcrumbs as geographical hierarchies and we run the risk of having orphaned and/or duplicate content (ie are some hotels only here? only on a district page? only on the main page?).
- I suggest the content be moved into the main article. If you think than this would make the article 'too long', please see the discussion on Wikitravel talk:Article templates#The best Wikitravel articles are too damn long. Majnoona 10:13, 1 March 2006 (EST)
- I took a look at Rio and Carnival is integrated nicely there. I do think Mardi Gras is important to New Orleans as well as the Jazz Fest (don't ya just love that city), but we should think about and discuss putting this in the main article. I don't think there is a rush, we can discuss it. -- Tom Holland (xltel) 10:34, 1 March 2006 (EST)
- I'm going to question you both! Wikitravel:What is an article? specifically calls out big festivals, like Mardi Gras. I'm not sure if this subpage format is correct, but I think we should have Mardi Gras (and Jazz Fest) in a separate article. --Evan 10:45, 1 March 2006 (EST)
- I question your questioning sir! Ok, actually I agree with you. Or at least do not disagree. I'm fine with having seperate pages for big events, just wonder about how much back-and-forth there's going to be about how big an event has to be -- Mardi Gras sure (uh, and there's the fact that there's more than just NO!), Expo 2005 yes, Napa Valley Mustard Festival no? What about the Penticton Peachfest? Where do we draw the line? Majnoona 13:28, 1 March 2006 (EST)
I think there is a problem with the recent move of this article from "New Orleans/Mardi Gras" to "Mardi Gras". The problem is that Mardi Gras is also celebrated elsewhere, and this article is New Orleans specific. If the "/" slash convention shouldn't be used here per naming conventions, perhaps moving this to a title like "New Orleans Mardi Gras" or "Mardi Gras in New Orleans"? Other thoughts? -- Infrogmation 12:15, 22 January 2008 (EST)
- I moved it because we generally only use the slash to denote a district of a city... but if you think it needs to be New Orleans specific then either of your suggestions above sound good! – cacahuate talk 00:11, 23 January 2008 (EST)
- Ok, I moved it to New Orleans Mardi Gras – cacahuate talk 01:07, 26 January 2008 (EST)