For future reference the Wikitravel:CIA World Factbook 2002 import can be found at Talk:Mauritius/CIA World Factbook 2002 import.
The following comments removed from article. -- Huttite 01:58, 19 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- A nice friendly country. Good food, lovely beaches, great place for a getaway.
There should be no listings for hotels or any other specific accommodations in guides for nations. For the convenience of anyone who wants to copy and paste any listing into the guide to the relevant locality (note: only one per listing!), I have copied all the listings below; however, most are touty, so I would generally advise against cutting and pasting these listings verbatim:
- Bungalow Vanille, Royal Road, Black River, ([email protected]), . Detached bungalow with a pool. 5 min walk to the beach. Friendly staff. €50/night. edit
- Grants Villa Mauritius, Grants Beach Front Villa Mauritius, ([email protected]), . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 11;00. Grants Villas offers guest a range of private luxury accommodation at the very best beach front locations around the amazing Mauritius Island. edit
- Ambre Hotel Mauritius (Ambre Mauritius), Coastal Road, Palmar, Mauritius, ☎ + 230 401 8188 ([email protected]), . Ambre Hotel Mauritius offers 297 guest rooms €119/night. edit
- Dinarobin Hotel Golf & Spa, Le Morne Peninsula, ☎ +230 401 4900 ([email protected], fax: +230 401 4901), . All suite 5 star beach and golf resort with spa edit
- The Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita, Beau Champ, Mauritius, ☎ (230)402-3100 (fax: (203)402-3120), . Luxury Beachfront Hotel. Many amenities & Water Sports. Good For Families, can get a babysitter through the hotel. Great Food. Very Luxurious and pricey. edit
- Labourdonnais, Waterfront, Port Louis. 5 star hotel convenient for Port Louis and many restaurants around the area. Popular with businessmen.
- Alpha Villa, Ave des perruches Flic en Flac. Black River, ☎ +230 256 99 00 ([email protected]), . Self catering studios and apartments. 50 m to the beach. Friendly staff. €29/night. edit
- La Maison d'Eté (small beach hotel), Coastal Road, Poste Lafayette, ☎ +230 410 5039 ([email protected], fax: + 230 410 5354), . A good alternative to the big hotels. A few rooms. Private beach along the lagoon, from where you can swim and snorkel to view the reef life. Good restaurant. Warm welcome by the owners. Room for 2 persons €110. edit
- Le Meridien Ile Maurice, . Beachfront on the bay of Pointe aux Piments. edit
- Grants Penthouse Mauritius, Grants Penthouse is located at La Tourelle de Tamarin, ([email protected]), . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 11;00. Grants Accommodation Mauritius offers Grants Luxury Penthouse Apartment with unparalleled views of the Indian Ocean. edit
- Paradis Hotel & Golf Club, Le Morne Peninsula, ☎ +230 401 5050 ([email protected], fax: +230 450 5140), . 5 star golf resort edit
- The Residence (The Residence Hotel Mauritius), . 5* hotel in the style of a plantation house; popular with honeymooners. Inspired by turn-of-the-century colonial mansions. edit
- Le Touessrok, . Luxury hotel that is a member of Leading Hotels of the World edit
- Trou Aux Biches Resort & Spa, Triolet, ☎ +230 204 6565 ([email protected], fax: +230 265 6611), . Hotel completely reconstructed and reopening on 1st of Nov 2010 edit
- Safia Tourist Residence, 16 route royale eau Bassin, ☎ +230 256 9900 ([email protected], fax: +230 465 20 81), . Rooms, studios and apartment. €25. edit
- Grants Apartments Mauritius, Grants Apartments is located at La Tourelle de Tamarin, ([email protected]), . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 11;00. Grants Accommodation Mauritius presents Grants Luxury 3 Bedroom Apartment with breath taking Ocean Views from the slopes of La Tourelle de Tamarin. edit
- One&Only - Le Saint Géran, . 5* hotel opened in 1975 and remodeled in 1999 with balconied rooms facing the Indian Ocean. 60-acre resort has a 9-hole Gary Player designed golf course, spa with pool and gym, a French restaurant, an Indian restaurant. Amenities includes a KidsOnly club for 4-11 year olds and a teens club. edit
- La Cocoteraie, Mont-Choisy, ☎ +230 265 5694, . On the northwest coast two minutes walk from the beaches at Mont Choisy and Trou-aux-Biches. edit
- Royal Palm, Royal Road - Grand Baie (north), ☎ +230 209 8300, . Nice hotel in the north. A member of the leading hotels of the world edit
- Pingouinvillas, (8 mins drive from SSR International Airport), ☎ +230 637 3051, +230 758 383 ([email protected], fax: +230 637 3051), . 200 m (3 minutes walk) from the Blue-Bay beach. Apartment and studio complex set in small tropical garden, nightly and weekly rates available. TV, free local calls and wifi, laptop provided. Safe, washing machine, fridge/freezer, coffee machine and microwave and similar requirements provided. €40-60. edit
- Shandrani Resort & Spa, Blue Bay, ☎ +230 603 4343, . Hotel on the south east coast. edit
- Chantauvent Guesthouse (Chante au Vent chambre d'hote), Pointe d'Esny (100 m from Blue Bay Beach), ☎ +230 631 9614, . Chantauvent is a guest house with a family atmosphere, at a 3-minute walk to Blue Bay where lays the sandy beach and large lagoon – one of the most beautiful site of the island renown for its coral garden. edit
- Paradise Cove Hotel & Spa, Anse La Raie, ☎ +230 204 4000, . A 5 star boutique hotel and spa in Grand Bay. edit
- Les Pavillons (5-Star Beach Hotel in Mauritius), Le Morne Plage, ☎ +230 401 4000, . A luxury (5-star) beach hotel in Mauritius located in Le Morne on the south-west of the island. edit
- Beau Rivage (5-Star Beach Hotel in Mauritius), Belle Mare, ☎ +230 402 2000, . A luxury/5-star beach hotel in Mauritius, perfect for honeymoon and family vacations, located in Belle Mare on the east coast of the island. edit
- Legends (4-Star+ Beach Hotel in Mauritius), Grand Gaube, ☎ +230 204 9191, . A luxury beach hotel in Mauritius, and the only Feng Shui hotel in the Indian Ocean, located in Grand Gaube on the north of the island. edit
- Tamassa (4-Star Beach Hotel in Mauritius), Bel Ombre, ☎ +230 603 7300, . A 4-star beach hotel in Mauritius, located in Bel Ombre on the south-west of the island. edit
- Merville Beach (3-Star+ Beach Hotel in Mauritius), Grand Bay, ☎ +230 209 2200, . A beautiful 3-star+ beach hotel in Mauritius, located in Grand Bay (Grand Baie) on the north of the island. edit
- Shanti Maurice (A Nira Resort), Riviere des Galets, Chemin Grenier, ☎ +230 603 7200, . Luxury spa resort in Mauritius. edit
—The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ikan Kekek (talk • contribs)
Comment moved from "Talk" section of article
I partly disagree with what is written about the spoken languages in Mauritius. Creole is definitely the most spoken language but Bhojpuri (not French) is the second widely spoken language. This can be understood as more than 60% Mauritians trace their ancestry from Bhojpuri speaking areas of India. Bhojpuri remained the lingua franca for the 70% of Indo Mauritians for quite long. French & English are used for official purpose to a limited extent; French is used mostly in the spoken form while English is used in the written form. However, both are understood/spoken quite well by most Mauritians. The percentage of Tamils in Mauritius is questionable and it is hard to believe that Tamils speak Tamil in Mauritius. Really strange why this was stated and no such approach was accorded to other ethnic groups and their languages like Telegu, Marathi, Urdu, Bhojpuri, Hakka, etc.
Posted by 18.104.22.168 on 20:55, 7 January 2012.
Ikan Kekek 19:29, 7 January 2012 (EST)
- The Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie claims 72.7% of Mauritians were French speakers in 2005. According to Wikipedia: Creole and Bhojpuri are the main languages used at home, both French and Creole are used in a business context and English is used most in schools and governments. French and English, which have long enjoyed greater social status, are favored in educational and professional settings.AHeneen