YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!

Talk:Hong Kong/Eastern Hong Kong Island

From Wikitravel
Jump to: navigation, search

Are all prices in HKD? Or US Dollars?

HKD. Jpatokal 07:57, 18 July 2007 (EDT)

Can this page be renamed Wanchai and Causeway Bay?

We prefer short and snappy names, but it's fine to define it to cover both areas. Jpatokal 06:11, 26 December 2008 (EST)
"Eastern Hong Kong Island" I think is a pretty boring name. I'd opt for Wan Chai and Causeway Bay as well. --globe-trotter 03:54, 24 December 2010 (EST)

The Metropark Hotel Wanchai does not belong under the listing of "splurge" hotels. At a given rate of HK$450 a night, it's a midrange hotel, and literally a fraction of the price of the other, honest-to-goodness splurge listings. Kirchherr 01:05, 29 March 2011 (EDT)

Change of Name?[edit]

I can't remember why we picked "Hong Kong/Eastern Hong Kong Island" but on reflection I think that Wan Chai and causeway Bay is probably the better option. There are very few tourism attractions beyond these two place. I agree with Globe Trotter on this. Who can make the change ? Herngong 11:43, 24 December 2010 (EST)



Early drafts of maps are included here for comments, --ClausHansen 12:20, 21 June 2011 (EDT)

Hi Claus, when I first saw the maps there was a certain wow factor. I do like the style of cartography. The names given on the maps really do work very well "Eastern Hong Kong Island" and "Wan Chai and Causeway Bay". This then brings the Admiralty question into focus. As you know, Admiralty is a major tourism hotspot and it is a bridge between Central and Wanchai. Ideally, we need to somehow match up these three key places so that tourists can navigate between each of them. Herngong 07:52, 22 June 2011 (EDT)

I would very much favour having "Eastern Hong Kong Island" being matched with "Western Hong Kong Island". Likewise, I am thinking that since Admiralty is a tourism hotspot with a strong cluster of big name hotels, we perhaps should do it justice??? So, instead of "Central Central", maybe we could have " Central and Admiralty" as the focus? What do others think? Herngong 07:59, 22 June 2011 (EDT)

One more thing, Happy Valley? I think it will appear on the inset map, just not sure from the early draft. Herngong 08:02, 22 June 2011 (EDT)

Do I understand it correctly that you would like to change the name of Central to Western Hong Kong Island? I would be fine with that. And you want to change the name of the inset map from Central Central to Central and Admiralty and then I guess extent the inset map a bit to cover all of Admiralty and in that way make it border the inset map for Wan Chai and Causeway Bay? I also think that would be a good idea. In relation to Happy Valley, it is not included in the inset map, I was not sure if it would have enough listings to warrant an inset, but if it does, I suggest to make a separate inset, or would you consider Happy Valley to be part of Wan Chai and Caseway Bay?, ClausHansen 09:22, 22 June 2011 (EDT)

The only major attraction at Happy Valley is the racecourse, but racing at Happy valley is something of an iconic feature when it comes to HK - so it is hard to ignore. I don't know the map solution, but tourists need to be able to find the short walk from Causeway Bay MTR to the Racecourse. As for the name issue, it seems that we both broadly agree. Herngong 08:57, 23 June 2011 (EDT)

If anybody has seen the new Legislative Council Building under construction on the harbour front, they will see that it is a monster of a building complex that will do much to shift attention eastwards from Central to Admiralty. Once the harbour front is pedestrianised between Central and Admiralty, we will see many more tourists heading this way. I would suggest we consider "Central and Admiralty" as the name for the inset map. However, I would be pleased to hear what others think on this tricky issue. Herngong 09:23, 23 June 2011 (EDT)