For more about using talk pages check out Wikitravel:Using talk pages.
How can the parenthetical name "Pakistan" be removed from the title of this Wikitravel article? The title should be simply "Northern Areas" or "Northern Areas (Kashmir)."
- We are not interested in political disputes -- not because we don't care, but because we need to describe what a traveler will need to cope with in real life at this time. Since the Northern Areas are currently controlled by Pakistan, we describe this area as part of Pakistan. -- Colin 18:58, 22 July 2008 (EDT)
Move this article
It seems that the Northern Area was officially renamed as Gilgit Baltistan in August 2009  . Given the political sensitivities about this part of the world, I thought it best to discuss this here before moving the article to Gilgit Baltistan and putting a redirect in place. --Burmesedays 12:47, 5 November 2009 (EST)
- See Wikitravel:Article naming conventions. We do not automatically use Official Names, but if the Official Name is useful and/or is now being used by travelers routinely, then yes we should rename. I don't have an opinion on this -- just trying to provide guidance. -- Colin Jensen 13:37, 5 November 2009 (EST)
- I definitely want this article to be renamed. Northern Area means nothing, it is a misleading term. Pakistani and International media uses the term Northern Area for all the areas under conflict in Pakistan i.e. Swat, Malakhand, Tribal areas which leads to People/tourists thinking Gilgit-Baltisan also being part of the conflict zone. which is definitely not the case. In fact Gilgit-Baltisan is the only safe place in Pakistan at the moment. Sajude. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs)
- As best as I can read the map, the Official Name (tm) is the sensible choice here, as it involves no changes in boundaries actual or claimed. The name change is recent enough that both names are in frequent use in English, but already Gilgit-Baltistan is leading NA or FANA by about 2:1 in recent news media, suggesting that it already qualifies as the most commonly used name. I'd say a rename and redirect are in order. - Dguillaime 01:34, 19 November 2009 (EST)
- ...which I've now done. - Dguillaime 15:15, 22 November 2009 (EST)