If the town of Oswiecim ever gets its own separate page, it could be placed under Oswiecim -- but the KZ is definitely best known as "Auschwitz". Jpatokal 21:22, 28 Dec 2004 (EST)
- Auschwitz is simply German name for Oswiecim, similarly as Danzig is German for Gdansk. Wojsyl 04:21, 29 Dec 2004 (EST)
- That's right, but according to Wikitravel:Article naming conventions we have to use the most common name, and Google says Auschwitz 1,890,000 against Oswiecim 237,000. Jpatokal 04:42, 29 Dec 2004 (EST)
- I don't have particularly strong feelings about this and maybe Auschwitz is indeed a better name for the title but for the sake of correctness: Wikitravel:Article naming conventions says "For remote or relatively unknown destinations where there just isn't a commonly-used English name, use the most commonly-used name in the local language". German is hardly a local language there so if we want to be inline with naming conventions it should be Oswiecim and Auschwitz a redirect. But I'm not against making an exception here, only consciously. Wojsyl 05:06, 29 Dec 2004 (EST)
- Auschwitz doesn't really fall under "relatively unknown", and the German name is definately the one most commonly used in English. Blorg 11:35, 7 Nov 2005 (EST)
Auschwitz- The complex. Oswiecim- The town.
The town is indeed Oswiecim, no doubt about that. Its German name was Aushcitz, but this is a Polish site.
The camp, however, was not a Polish site. It was a place created, named and operated by Nazi Germany.
It's on Polish soil, but the camp itself retains its name, and it is widely used in foreign languages.
I checked the Polish Wikipedia, and their article about Auschwitz is titled Auschwitz-Birkenau, and the Polish location names are obviously given a lower priority:
* Auschwitz I (Oświęcim I), pierwszy obóz, głównie pracy przymusowej, pełniący również funkcję centrum zarządzającego dla całego kompleksu
* Auschwitz II – Birkenau (Brzezinka), najpierw obóz koncentracyjny, potem także obóz śmierci wyposażony w komory gazowe i krematoria
* Auschwitz III – Monowitz (Monowice), obóz pracy przymusowej w fabryce Buna-Werke koncernu IG Farben